Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,058 members, 7,814,641 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn (15651 Views)

NMA And NARD Declare An Indefinite Strike From July 1st At 00.00hrs / JOHESU Declares 5-day Warning Strike From Jan 15 / Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Nobody: 12:14am On Dec 23, 2013
patients come to hospital to see doctors,not allied health workers because they have visited their 'clinic' and promises for medical care but are not satisfied. if doctors are not relevant i still wonder why patient load in hospital keep increasing.if health sector can be unbundle like phcn we would know who own hospital. govt should privatized healthcare services and subsidy the bills for masses. as long as govt keep funding hospital without private institution input this crisis will continue.
Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Nobody: 12:22am On Dec 23, 2013
miriamP:
u talk like a product of premature ejaculation. Grow up for once

bachelor degree in abusive words. professor of foul language i salute oh.

6 Likes

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Nobody: 12:25am On Dec 23, 2013
Kelyto: this guy is just talking rubbish... Abeg look for the nearest transformer and hang yourself.... Next person to comment please

learn to talk with respect. u cannot become ceo of hospital or minister with use of derogatory remarks.

1 Like

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Nobody: 12:30am On Dec 23, 2013
Am about to sleep, its a brand new day. To those i used dirty language on am sorry, to those i pointed out hard facts to pls do well to dwell on it, i might ve been an eye opener u never met. And for those who never knew my revelations, u cant know it all can you? Good morning all. For me its goodnight

1 Like

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Nobody: 12:30am On Dec 23, 2013
DOWNLOAD THIS HIT DANCE TRACK OF THE MOMENT
EVERYBODY IN AFRICA BY MICOBIN
http:///14pnnecm35co
Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Nobody: 12:34am On Dec 23, 2013
maschivok: NMA STRIKE ,THE HEALTH SECTOR AND THE NIGERIAN STATE!
Since the 19th of December all Medical Doctors in Nigeria under Nigeria Medical Association have down tools for no cogent reason. They have refused to attend to the patients they took oath to care for. NMA had hidden under the guise that they went on strike as a result of total decay of infrastructure in the hospital, all in a bid to misinform the general public. The big question is Why is NMA on strike when they are under obligation to serve and care for the patients?
In a latter dated 20th November ,2013 addressed to the Honourable Minister of Health Captioned 'Re-Circular on Skipping of Conhess 10 and Presidential Committee Report' with reference number NMA/PRE/SG/011/0688 signed by Dr Osahon Enabulele and his secretary which was copied to the Nigerian National Assembly,Secretary to Federal Government,Head of Service of the Federation and many others, NMA as a body had threatened the Minister that if they implement the circular from the Head of Service, that the Court order in favour of Joint Health Sector Union(JOHESU),made up of all Unions of Health worker outside doctors, as it affects the issue of skipping should be effected and that the earlier circular from the head of Service is a nullity saying no skipping. In the said letter NMA had also agitated that Doctors who are consultants should start on COMESS 3 which is a Super Director cadre. They gave an ultimatum to expire on the 14th of december 2013. She went on to tell her members to down tool, any where the Judgment in favour of JOHESU is implemented. On the 19th of December 2013 NMA started a nationwide strike. Now what is Skipping?Is the accusation by NMA tenable in the Light of truth?NMA went further to say that JOHESU members are more favoured in the health sector to their detriment,is this true?In line with the Nigerian Scheme of Service for one to be eligible for appointment you must have requisite qualification as exemplified in the Scheme of Service. The Scheme of service for all JOHESU Members provide that after level 10 you move to level 12 there is no level 11.It should be noted that Under General Olusegun Obasanjo the Federal Govenment had placed all Nigerian Worker under one salary structure but Medical Doctors said no way and agitated for COMESS structure for themselves. Under the late President Musa Yaradua, they had their way after negotiating with the Government, they through the principle of collective bargaining accepted COMESS Structure. Members of JOHESU also negotiated and got CONHESS structure for them -selves. Latter NMA in her usual bid started the PULL HIM DOWN (PHD)campaign of calumny against JOHESU and her members. They accused JOHESU and her members of SKIPPING when in the actual sense there was nothing like that. NMA in a bid to strangulate the health sector threatened all Chief executives of Government Hospitals, this made them in their Committee of C.M.D and MD to take a decision on the matter. Government was coerced to bring out a circular stopping,JOHESU members from Moving from level 10 to level 12 as stipulated in the Scheme of Service.
JOHESU challenged the action of the Government in Court and the Court ruled in favour of JOHESU that the circular stopping JOHESU members from moving from level 10 to level 12 is a nullity and issues of collective bargaining is a right and not a privilege. Since the judgment, NMA and her members have been threatening sulphur and brimstone. In fact Some members of NMA under Medical and Dental Consultants of Nigeria have gone to court challenging the Court Judgment that they were not part ab nitio. They are accusing the Court/Government that they were not consulted before such salary was approved For JOHESU members. NMA and her members have forgotten that one denominator common to her and JOHESU members is that they all are employees of the Government that all have the power of collective bargaining.
It should be noted that before 1985 Pharmacist,Doctors and Medical Laboratory Scientist etc were on the same grade level with different steps. Today an Intern Doctor who is a house officers starts on level 10, note after his Youth service he starts on level 12. A baby Physician starts on level 12 as full time employment. If he is able to acquire the postgraduate diploma of any Post Graduate College within the next 3- 5 years he moves to level 15.Note that all these while he is on full pay by the Government. What it means is that within the next 5-10 years that a doctor starts work if he has a postgraduate diploma in Medicine he can get to the zenith of his carrier within that short time. Within the next few years at least five years after, he can even become an MD. While it will take other health workers from the time he starts work to become a principal, 6-9 years to become a level 12 officer. It will take him at least 24 years to get to the Zenth of his carrier. If you adopt NMA prayer for JOHESU members it will take you about 27 years to get to the zenth of your carrier. What this means is that for any JOHESU member who has put in at least 10-15 years in service. A baby Doctor who starts work today in the next few years will overtake him despite his years of service. The big question is who is then disadvantaged in the health sector.?
From the foregoing Certain questions arise, Is JOHESU members really skipping? The truth of the matter is that the use of the word skipping is a misnomer the movement from 10-12 is not skipping because that is what is provided in the scheme of service. Skipping is when you move from 8-10 without passing through 9 that is provided for in the Scheme. Doctors move from 10-12 why have they not called that skipping?It is not called skipping because that is what is provided for in their scheme of Service. So is the movement of JOHESU members from 10-12.
The action of NMA and her members to down tools because of Court Judgment in favour of JOHESU shows how lawless NMA can be. It shows that they are not interested in promoting Government Goals and interest of the Patient which they swore an oath to protect. The action of NMA is in contempt against NIC judgment. This is blackmail against the Nigerian state. Again NMA cannot resort to self help on a matter that her members have already instituted a court case on. In the words of Niki Tobi JCA (as he then was) 'When a party has put himself under the umbrella of a Court of Competent Jurisdiction even if it takes time to hear the case or to decide the matter,the parties involved cannot resort to self help,they must not jump the gun,they must wait until the case is decided' As such the action of NMA and her members is ultra vires.
Furthermore,in line with the trade unions Act any union that is not registered as a trade union is illegal. NMA is not a registered trade union as such it is illegal for them to have gone on strike. It is gross misconduct for them to have abandoned their duty post. The erudite Journalist Fejiro Oliver,was absolutely right when he tagged his article -'NMA JEALOUCY STRIKE', this strike was uncalled for. The Health Ministry/Minister must be firm to tell NMA that their actions are illegal and that it is a violation of the Public Service Rule. NMA should be told the truth that their action is brazen lawless against the Nigerian State and the Nigerian People,because their action is a violation of labour laws. Nigerian masses must say no this unfortunate action. NMA is turning the health sector towards the line of destruction. All Nigerian masses must rise to this injustice against the state. Allopathic medical Imperialism must be defeated .Dr Osahaon Enabulele must be called to order and the Nigerian Government must be firm to stop this impunity against the state. The action of NMA is highly prejudicial which is a violation of the code of conduct for public officer as stipulated in the 1999 constitution as amended. The Nigerian Government must act now before this hydra - headed monster of impunity against the state goes of hand. NMA should stop being an enemy of progress. We must join hands with the likes of the Comrade Governor his excellency
Comrade Adams Oshiomole the Executive Governor of Edo State to condemn NMA for their unethical action against the state.

and johesu strike is both legal and ethical cos johesu members also care for patients.oshiomole will soon swallow his vomits. if skipping will be done it should be across all boards. conhess is product of conmess. now skipping of conmess will be product of conhess.
if johesu wants ceo of hospital to be open to all,they can lobby govt to change d law. no need for noise. my take every professional association has right to demand for its right.
Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by speak2leo(m): 1:04am On Dec 23, 2013
The Last time i checked, CMD means Chief Medical Director, and not Chief Paramedical Director, Chief Pharmaceutical Director, Chief Nursing Director, nor Chief Medlab Director. Dt Position is solely for Doctors. Wanna have dat position?? Go study Medicine, simple!

4 Likes

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Peaceworld(m): 1:42am On Dec 23, 2013
Isn't it shameful what they are demanding for? My question is this: Why is the NMA always trying to stiffle the progress of other health professions in Nigeria? Are they even a registered trade union in Nigeria? WHY DO THEY ALWAYS THINK THAT THEY SHOULD LEAD EVERYTHING HEALTH in Nigeria? Should a CMD be the head of a hospital? Our doctors always stay under the guise of what other nations are doing, why don't they check this out?

http://www.healism.com/blogs/the_stanley_rubenti_medical_tourism_blog/hospital_hierarchy:_who's_really_in_charge?/

Doctors want to be in charge of Nigeria's health care system, to the detriment of other health care workers, and that is so shameful. They don't see other health professions like physiotherapy and pharmacy as part of the health team, but rather as scum...this is very sad...the more reason the health sector is in disarray right now...it's because of doctors demanding for the destruction of other people's livelihoods. Imagine NMA talking of privatizing other health professions? This is very shameful...I'm really ashamed of the level these fools can go...they talk of privatizing others but not themselves...is that not hypocritical? Hippocrates will be rolling in his grave...

2 Likes

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Peaceworld(m): 1:51am On Dec 23, 2013
Deblow: Some pple can be parochial and self - centered in their reasoning. Every association recognised by law reserves the right to agitate for the best on behalf of its members and each association is independent of the others. The NMA can not be an exception in this case. The Pharmacists and other paramedical associations are always antagonistic of the doctors out of petty jealousy and sheer inferiority complexes. NMA cares not whenever they confront the government with their own agitation but each time the NMA sneezes, they get jittery. Why don't we address issues other than personalities for once!
This is stupid...nobody is jealous of NMA, rather NMA is jealous of what other unions are getting for their members, despite the fact that NMA members still remain THE HIGHEST PAID IN THE HEALTH SECTOR, AS SHOULD BE THE CASE. Why, for God's sake, is NMA questioning Jump for every other civil service worker? And where did the privatization idea come from? This is pure jealousy and superiority complex, I tell you...

1 Like

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Peaceworld(m): 1:57am On Dec 23, 2013
heykims: Maybe we sud reason ds out.
Why wud all health workers exempting d medical doctors form a union, JOHESU despite d fact dt they all have their individual associations/unions?
What is d motive behind d formation of d union if not to tackle d exempted party, conspiracy??
No shaking NMA......
Another misinformed dolt...why was NMA formed in the first place? NMA was formed because doctors wanted every other profession in the health sector to join them under one association so that they can boss everybody around. Nigeria Medical Association shouldn't include just doctors, see? But this plan didn't work since the other health workers saw through their deceit...

1 Like

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Peaceworld(m): 2:03am On Dec 23, 2013
hamedade2000: It's not a matter of monopoly. it's only in a confused country lyk ours dah nurses n lab technicians wld be fighting to become d CMD of hospitals. You myt not av travelled out buh am sure u'll av seen foreign medical movies. av u ever come across 1 in which such has happened. SMH for Nigeria sha....Everything z jez upside down.
The CMD of a hospital should be a doctor, but the CMD of a hospital must come under the CEO of the hospital administration arm. CMDs can be CEOs too, but CEOs can never just be for CMDs. Here in Nigeria, the doctors have cunningly overshadowed the hospital CEO, who is traditionally the Head of Admin, or HAS. You talk of watching foreign films, but your idea of a hospital hierarchy abroad is a biased one.

2 Likes

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Peaceworld(m): 2:10am On Dec 23, 2013
explicit770: For your information,the services of pharmacists in Nigeria are not relevant in our govt hospitals.
And i see no reason why u shd starting calling the Doctors names.
Everybody knows the truth,we go to the hospitals to see Medical Doctors and not Pharmacists(doctor of pharm) and lab Scientists.
And to the best of my knowledge,the very best science students in any set in secondary school read medicine.
It is just unfortunate that there is lawlessness in the land,once a group of people threaten the govt with strikes,govt wld hurriedly succumbed to their demands.
The crisis in the health sector shd be addressed forthwith by allowing international best medical practice.
Enough is enough.
It's so sad that you wrote this. I read it and I felt so ashamed of ever knowing you even exist.

2 Likes

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Peaceworld(m): 2:20am On Dec 23, 2013
Jummy mine:
i dont know whether to laugh or cry at your fallacy. doctors pulled out of johesu?! stop lying and pulling the wool over the eyes of the unsuspecting public. the reason why all of them have to join together againstbthe doctors is that if they go on strike individually, nobody will feel it. shows indeed how important they are for the system!
i dare the pharmacists to go on strike alone, and see if the hospital will stop functioning. same for the physiotherapists and even the labs. in my hospital, all of them have gone on strike individually for months, and the hospital was still running!
thats why they have to team up and gang up against the doctors, asking to be paid as thety are paid and given equal status, as if their jobs are the same. its all part of the nigerian mentally, most people are not actually proud of their jobs, nor satisfied with it. i dare say that many of these lab guys, physios and nurses actually wanted to study medicine, but couldnt for one reason or the other.
i wonr why the beef now?
as i earlier said, privatize, and everybody will know their real level in a private setting.
Stupid. Nobody is jealous of NMA...rather they're jealous of what others are trying to get for their members. NMA's members will continue being the highest paid in the health sector, so why are they advocating for other health workers to be privatized? And who the hell told them that Jump for civil servants is illegal? NMA started this, and it's so sad...

1 Like

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by MeAboki(m): 2:22am On Dec 23, 2013
thepathologist:

and johesu strike is both legal and ethical cos johesu members also care for patients.oshiomole will soon swallow his vomits. if skipping will be done it should be across all boards. conhess is product of conmess. now skipping of conmess will be product of conhess.
if johesu wants ceo of hospital to be open to all,they can lobby govt to change d law. no need for noise. my take every professional association has right to demand for its right.

From the little I understand, the law says only unions can order its member to go on strike, johesu is a union and can therefore call on its members to do so; while nma is an association and legally not.

On the issue of grade skipping, I want to believe the provision has been in existence for years in all the previous schemes of services and nothing new, however, it is quite curious why doctors are only noticing it now and why can't they equally demand for it in their own scheme instead of interfering in what should not concern them - this is why they are being seen as jealous individuals.

As for the headship of the hospitals, the post of CMD is nothing more than an administrative office, which until its creation was being occupied by professionally trained and qualified Hospital Administrators.
In my opinion, in the interest of peace, doctors and all others should go back to their true calling and give way to these administrators; otherwise the position of hospital CEO including the minister of health should be opened to any suitably qualified person with the necessary knowledge and skill in administration - after all the hospital is no different from any other organisation and doctors not necessarily better gifted as administrators.

2 Likes

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Peaceworld(m): 2:28am On Dec 23, 2013
speak2leo: The Last time i checked, CMD means Chief Medical Director, and not Chief Paramedical Director, Chief Pharmaceutical Director, Chief Nursing Director, nor Chief Medlab Director. Dt Position is solely for Doctors. Wanna have dat position?? Go study Medicine, simple!
Why is it that whenever there's an argument on this issue, the doctors here keep telling their opponents to go study medicine if they want to have something? This is blind, if you ask me...I never for once wanted to study medicine. I chose Physiotherapy from the get go. And it's also a sad development. What this means is that most of the doctors here feel that others in the health sector are scums who dropped out from medicine. Any sane human being should stop saying this here. It saddens me, really.

3 Likes

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Naijamericana: 3:13am On Dec 23, 2013
First teachers, now doctors and pharmacists...are threatening to strike. What exactly is Jonathan doing? Sounds like a lame duck president to me. Maybe his wife should manage the country.
angry
Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by kinkymax: 3:14am On Dec 23, 2013
miriamP:
dullard. Its only in govt hospitals drs are relevant and d reason? Protocols. We are treating the patients based on our own directives as docs are nower to be found and guess what? Dey are doing fine. Go to private hospitals, a nurse can man a hospital without the doc, she can handle any emergency, send for tests , prescribe drugs, treat and discharge ! The doc only makes occassional appearances. Ur relevance in govt hospitals is just out of due process so please wake up from ur slumber, u guys re just ignorant douche bags and ur proud heads are just atomic bombs waiting to xplode till u get some reasoning into ur calcified skulls. U cannot do anything without d members of JOHESU take it or leave it, u can ask my grandma in d village. Even she knows that.
. Vry stupid post up there. D oda tym a senior nurse wt mor dan 15yrs experience was askin m d dosage of IM arthemeter. For a senior nurse nt to kno d dosage of ordinary antimalaria and askin a vry young doc and u sed u wana handle and man d patients alone wthout d doctors directive ma sis u wil kill mani
Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by maschivok: 3:41am On Dec 23, 2013
NMA STRIKE ,THE HEALTH SECTOR AND THE NIGERIAN STATE!
Since the 19th of December all Medical Doctors in Nigeria under Nigeria Medical Association have down tools for no cogent reason. They have refused to attend to the patients they took oath to care for. NMA had hidden under the guise that they went on strike as a result of total decay of infrastructure in the hospital, all in a bid to misinform the general public. The big question is Why is NMA on strike when they are under obligation to serve and care for the patients?
In a latter dated 20th November ,2013 addressed to the Honourable Minister of Health Captioned 'Re-Circular on Skipping of Conhess 10 and Presidential Committee Report' with reference number NMA/PRE/SG/011/0688 signed by Dr Osahon Enabulele and his secretary which was copied to the Nigerian National Assembly,Secretary to Federal Government,Head of Service of the Federation and many others, NMA as a body had threatened the Minister that if they implement the circular from the Head of Service, that the Court order in favour of Joint Health Sector Union(JOHESU),made up of all Unions of Health worker outside doctors, as it affects the issue of skipping should be effected and that the earlier circular from the head of Service is a nullity saying no skipping. In the said letter NMA had also agitated that Doctors who are consultants should start on COMESS 3 which is a Super Director cadre. They gave an ultimatum to expire on the 14th of december 2013. She went on to tell her members to down tool, any where the Judgment in favour of JOHESU is implemented. On the 19th of December 2013 NMA started a nationwide strike. Now what is Skipping?Is the accusation by NMA tenable in the Light of truth?NMA went further to say that JOHESU members are more favoured in the health sector to their detriment,is this true?In line with the Nigerian Scheme of Service for one to be eligible for appointment you must have requisite qualification as exemplified in the Scheme of Service. The Scheme of service for all JOHESU Members provide that after level 10 you move to level 12 there is no level 11.It should be noted that Under General Olusegun Obasanjo the Federal Govenment had placed all Nigerian Worker under one salary structure but Medical Doctors said no way and agitated for COMESS structure for themselves. Under the late President Musa Yaradua, they had their way after negotiating with the Government, they through the principle of collective bargaining accepted COMESS Structure. Members of JOHESU also negotiated and got CONHESS structure for them -selves. Latter NMA in her usual bid started the PULL HIM DOWN (PHD)campaign of calumny against JOHESU and her members. They accused JOHESU and her members of SKIPPING when in the actual sense there was nothing like that. NMA in a bid to strangulate the health sector threatened all Chief executives of Government Hospitals, this made them in their Committee of C.M.D and MD to take a decision on the matter. Government was coerced to bring out a circular stopping,JOHESU members from Moving from level 10 to level 12 as stipulated in the Scheme of Service.
JOHESU challenged the action of the Government in Court and the Court ruled in favour of JOHESU that the circular stopping JOHESU members from moving from level 10 to level 12 is a nullity and issues of collective bargaining is a right and not a privilege. Since the judgment, NMA and her members have been threatening sulphur and brimstone. In fact Some members of NMA under Medical and Dental Consultants of Nigeria have gone to court challenging the Court Judgment that they were not part ab nitio. They are accusing the Court/Government that they were not consulted before such salary was approved For JOHESU members. NMA and her members have forgotten that one denominator common to her and JOHESU members is that they all are employees of the Government that all have the power of collective bargaining.
It should be noted that before 1985 Pharmacist,Doctors and Medical Laboratory Scientist etc were on the same grade level with different steps. Today an Intern Doctor who is a house officers starts on level 10, note after his Youth service he starts on level 12. A baby Physician starts on level 12 as full time employment. If he is able to acquire the postgraduate diploma of any Post Graduate College within the next 3- 5 years he moves to level 15.Note that all these while he is on full pay by the Government. What it means is that within the next 5-10 years that a doctor starts work if he has a postgraduate diploma in Medicine he can get to the zenith of his carrier within that short time. Within the next few years at least five years after, he can even become an MD. While it will take other health workers from the time he starts work to become a principal, 6-9 years to become a level 12 officer. It will take him at least 24 years to get to the Zenth of his carrier. If you adopt NMA prayer for JOHESU members it will take you about 27 years to get to the zenth of your carrier. What this means is that for any JOHESU member who has put in at least 10-15 years in service. A baby Doctor who starts work today in the next few years will overtake him despite his years of service. The big question is who is then disadvantaged in the health sector.?
From the foregoing Certain questions arise, Is JOHESU members really skipping? The truth of the matter is that the use of the word skipping is a misnomer the movement from 10-12 is not skipping because that is what is provided in the scheme of service. Skipping is when you move from 8-10 without passing through 9 that is provided for in the Scheme. Doctors move from 10-12 why have they not called that skipping?It is not called skipping because that is what is provided for in their scheme of Service. So is the movement of JOHESU members from 10-12.
The action of NMA and her members to down tools because of Court Judgment in favour of JOHESU shows how lawless NMA can be. It shows that they are not interested in promoting Government Goals and interest of the Patient which they swore an oath to protect. The action of NMA is in contempt against NIC judgment. This is blackmail against the Nigerian state. Again NMA cannot resort to self help on a matter that her members have already instituted a court case on. In the words of Niki Tobi JCA (as he then was) 'When a party has put himself under the umbrella of a Court of Competent Jurisdiction even if it takes time to hear the case or to decide the matter,the parties involved cannot resort to self help,they must not jump the gun,they must wait until the case is decided' As such the action of NMA and her members is ultra vires.
Furthermore,in line with the trade unions Act any union that is not registered as a trade union is illegal. NMA is not a registered trade union as such it is illegal for them to have gone on strike. It is gross misconduct for them to have abandoned their duty post. The erudite Journalist Fejiro Oliver,was absolutely right when he tagged his article -'NMA JEALOUCY STRIKE', this strike was uncalled for. The Health Ministry/Minister must be firm to tell NMA that their actions are illegal and that it is a violation of the Public Service Rule. NMA should be told the truth that their action is brazen lawless against the Nigerian State and the Nigerian People,because their action is a violation of labour laws. Nigerian masses must say no this unfortunate action. NMA is turning the health sector towards the line of destruction. All Nigerian masses must rise to this injustice against the state. Allopathic medical Imperialism must be defeated .Dr Osahaon Enabulele must be called to order and the Nigerian Government must be firm to stop this impunity against the state. The action of NMA is highly prejudicial which is a violation of the code of conduct for public officer as stipulated in the 1999 constitution as amended. The Nigerian Government must act now before this hydra - headed monster of impunity against the state goes of hand. NMA should stop being an enemy of progress. We must join hands with the likes of the Comrade Governor his excellency
Comrade Adams Oshiomole the Executive Governor of Edo State to condemn NMA for their unethical action against the state.
Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by kinkymax: 3:49am On Dec 23, 2013
Peaceworld:
Why is it that whenever there's an argument on this issue, the doctors here keep telling their opponents to go study medicine if they want to have something? This is blind, if you ask me...I never for once wanted to study medicine. I chose Physiotherapy from the get go. And it's also a sad development. What this means is that most of the doctors here feel that others in the health sector are scums who dropped out from medicine. Any sane human being should stop saying this here. It saddens me, really.
eeyah pele! Mabinu!!I dey feel for u sha!!! Is nt their fault either. Jst dat they kno wot dey went tru in med skul in their pursuit to bcom a qualified medical doc and sompple somwhr wnt to snatch their right frm dem. After pain in med skul there mst b gain in d hosp. Not fair oo ppl jst av to fear GOD.
Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by JoannaSedley(f): 6:05am On Dec 23, 2013
armadeo:

Pls tell us the name of this private hospital(s) where nurses admit send for tests treat and discharge patient so we know where to avoid. Ps if its correct u can name them if they wouldn't be closed before new year.

To think you can openly boast about this criminal act.
You people have been blind for so long fighting a battle that will continue to set Nigeria health sector back to stone age. As nurses and most importantly midwives, we diagnose and prescribes drugs and, test for minor ailments and attends to emergencies. MVA nko in some designated areas. In government establishments, there is division of labour and everybody follows their job description but in doctors absence you practice to the full extent of your licence and it is high time doctors focus on securing their jobs instead of fighting for financial whatever...cos things are seriously changing. It seems you spend all your time in a teaching hospital where doctors do all ......change ground a little and see that except for surgery ...doctors have nothing again. The CHEWS are not even part of JOHESU but they are doing the diagnoses ,prescribes and administers using standing orders but I foresee it changing once their first sets of BSC GRADUATES starts trooping out. Cos they will fought for the dropping of standing orders and proceed for ordinary treatment regimen. These people are trained with medical model ...just a slight change in the law and doctors will be hanging on to surgery alone. More change is coming to Nigeria health sector ....check for other countries with midlevels doing doctors work except surgery.
By the time doctors understands what is really going on under their noses , every other health worker in Nigeria must have change their scope of practice....cos fighting JOHESU is a merry go round.....

2 Likes

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by texazzpete(m): 6:32am On Dec 23, 2013
Joanna Sedley: You people have been blind for so long fighting a battle that will continue to set Nigeria health sector back to stone age. As nurses and most importantly midwives, we diagnose and prescribes drugs and, test for minor ailments and attends to emergencies. MVA nko in some designated areas. In government establishments, there is division of labour and everybody follows their job description but in doctors absence you practice to the full extent of your licence and it is high time doctors focus on securing their jobs instead of fighting for financial whatever...cos things are seriously changing. It seems you spend all your time in a teaching hospital where doctors do all ......change ground a little and see that except for surgery ...doctors have nothing again. The CHEWS are not even part of JOHESU but they are doing the diagnoses ,prescribes and administers using standing orders but I foresee it changing once their first sets of BSC GRADUATES starts trooping out. Cos they will fought for the dropping of standing orders and proceed for ordinary treatment regimen. These people are trained with medical model ...just a slight change in the law and doctors will be hanging on to surgery alone. More change is coming to Nigeria health sector ....check for other countries with midlevels doing doctors work except surgery.
By the time doctors understands what is really going on under their noses , every other health worker in Nigeria must have change their scope of practice....cos fighting JOHESU is a merry go round.....

As far as I know, the 'full extent of your license' for you nurses does not allow you to pretend you're a doctor and carry out diagnosis and prescribe drugs...unless, perhaps, in dire and extenuating circumstances.

As far as I know, the NMA is on strike for 7 reasons. Why is everyone focusing on the NMA and JOHESU thingy?
Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 23, 2013
kinkymax: . Vry stupid post up there. D oda tym a senior nurse wt mor dan 15yrs experience was askin m d dosage of IM arthemeter. For a senior nurse nt to kno d dosage of ordinary antimalaria and askin a vry young doc and u sed u wana handle and man d patients alone wthout d doctors directive ma sis u wil kill mani
u mean a senior auxillary nurse? Cos d last time i checked in the teaching hospitals the new house officers are left at d mercy of the nurses to teach them how to set IV lines, dosage of prescription drugs, and every other thing an amateur needs to know until after some months they claim to have mastered the procedures and then begin to bite the hands that fed them. Oh tell me why their senior colleagues will leave a young man who has never handled a patient to be on call alone if not that they are assured of the capable hands of nurses to direct them? They ask u about everything they wana do and u really wonder if they will pay u xtra for been a teacher to a fresh MBBS grad. But if u chose to ignore its the patients that will suffer a lot of things ranging from being punctured 20 times while d H/O s trying to get a vein to taking an overdosage the young man/woman just prescribed. I still remember the faces of all those that learnt from me for that first few months, but thank God the God fearing ones still appreciate that till now.

1 Like

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Nobody: 7:17am On Dec 23, 2013
The real readon for the strikeDoctors Strike: Health Minister accuses NMA of ‘politics of selfishness’ Tobore Ovuorie-2 days ago
News
Dialogue is ongoing to end doctors’ nationwide strike
The nationwide strike by doctors in public hospitals is expected to end soon following an interim agreement reached between the doctors’ association, NMA, and the Health Ministry, PREMIUM TIMES has learnt. The Health Minister, however, described the doctors as playing ‘politics of selfishness’ with the strike.
The NMA asked its members to commence a nationwide strike from Wednesday after earlier ultimatums it gave to the federal government to meet its demands were not met.
In an interview with PREMIUM TIMES on Wednesday, the Chairman of the Lagos State Chapter of the NMA, Francis Faduyile, confirmed the commencement of the strike. He said the strike would be temporarily halted during the Yuletide, while emergency departments of hospitals would be open to attend to patients.
“For the sake of patients, hospitals will be open during the yuletide (December 23rd, 2013 until January 5th, 2014) but the strike will continue by January 6th, 2014 if the FG does nothing about the situation,” Mr. Faduyile said.
While reacting to the strike, Dan Nwomeh, the spokesperson to Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu, accused the doctors of playing “politics of selfishness” with the strike.
In an interview with PREMIUM TIMES on Wednesday, Mr. Nwomeh said the health ministry and the NMA have been meeting since Monday.
“There was a meeting which started by 3 p.m. on Monday December 16th and lasted until Tuesday 4 a.m. The Minister of Health, Minister of Labour, Office of the Head of Service, National Salaries and Wages Commission, Chairman House Committee on Health and the NMA were all present at the meeting,” he said.
“Another MOU was signed Tuesday morning by 4am but the NMA said it cannot call of the strike for it has to reach her members first. They should be holding their meeting by tomorrow Thursday so I learnt. This strike is unwarranted and with selfish objectives.
“The main reason for this strike is politics of selfishness and rivalry with non-medical doctors over the latter winning a court case that allows her members to skip some steps in the service.
“We have appealed and the case is still in the Court of Appeal and have told the doctors to be patient to await the outcome of the case but they would not listen,” Mr. Nwomeh stated.
The rivalry the minister’s aide referenced was also mentioned by the spokesperson of the Lagos NMA, Peter Ogunbiyi, when he listed the seven causes of the strike.
“Government has allowed certain policies in the running of health care system which if not checked will lead to total collapse and paralysis of the system. Some of these include,” Mr. Ogunbiyi said. “Selective skipping of paramedics from level 10 to 12 to the detriment of doctors as such skipping should have been made to be across board.”
The President of the NMA, Osahon Enabulele, also confirmed that meetings were held with the government team.
“Yes, they (the government) gave some promisory notes similar to earlier MOU stating that they will sort out the issues before January 6,” Mr. Enabulele said. “We told them we will present the MOU to our members and make our position public. Until the members make their position known, the withdrawal of services remains.”
The doctors’ leader said his members were still consulting on the day to hold their meeting to decide on the government’s offer.
Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by MrsAwesome: 7:18am On Dec 23, 2013
kinkymax: . Vry stupid post up there. D oda tym a senior nurse wt mor dan 15yrs experience was askin m d dosage of IM arthemeter. For a senior nurse nt to kno d dosage of ordinary antimalaria and askin a vry young doc and u sed u wana handle and man d patients alone wthout d doctors directive ma sis u wil kill mani
yeah, how about a doc that can't initiate and set up Iv line....it goes both ways bro... nigeria hospital is a war zone . Know your capability before venturing in. No more comradeship in hospital everybody is going for each others throat and whats wrong in asking somebody to clarify issues when in doubt.

2 Likes

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Tobbie9(m): 7:19am On Dec 23, 2013
Do u guys have work at all

1 Like

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by MrsAwesome: 7:32am On Dec 23, 2013
texazzpete:

As far as I know, the 'full extent of your license' for you nurses does not allow you to pretend you're a doctor and carry out diagnosis and prescribe drugs...unless, perhaps, in dire and extenuating circumstances.

As far as I know, the NMA is on strike for 7 reasons. Why is everyone focusing on the NMA and JOHESU thingy?

It is not pretending we are doctors by prescribing or diagnosing. It is doing what we are supposed to do when there is no doctor. We are trained to do it and we know where our scope of practice will be limited to. Nobody is pretending here and you contradicted yourself by writing "in dire and extenuating circumstances". Well in health centres that is the status quo.
Nurses have a lot to do instead of encroaching to other territory in tertiary hospital and that doesn't make us dumb. But the God complex of doctors will take a hit when they notice the legally sanctioned encroachments in their fields as they fought for financial gains.

2 Likes

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Nobody: 7:34am On Dec 23, 2013
speak2leo: The Last time i checked, CMD means Chief Medical Director, and not Chief Paramedical Director, Chief Pharmaceutical Director, Chief Nursing Director, nor Chief Medlab Director. Dt Position is solely for Doctors. Wanna have dat position?? Go study Medicine, simple!
Do urself a favour and check up who really is a paramedic. Leave paramedics alone am sure they dont need this constant mentioning of their names everytime someone wants to talk about other health professionals. They ve really got a very busy schedule otherwise i know they would ve reacted.

1 Like

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by Nobody: 7:46am On Dec 23, 2013
Peaceworld:
Another misinformed dolt...why was NMA formed in the first place? NMA was formed because doctors wanted every other profession in the health sector to join them under one association so that they can boss everybody around. Nigeria Medical Association shouldn't include just doctors, see? But this plan didn't work since the other health workers saw through their deceit...

just as allied health workers are part of british medical association,world medical association ,america med association?
ur info is wrong. every profession has right to form its assocuation. johesu has to form so that strike action could have impart. johesu is political body set up to bring down d doctors. let individual association go on strike separately and see if the strike will be effective. among them it is only nurses strike that can cripple the hospital cos they are bedrock of hospital.
Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by revolt(m): 7:59am On Dec 23, 2013
miriamP:
u mean a senior auxillary nurse? Cos d last time i checked in the teaching hospitals the new house officers are left at d mercy of the nurses to teach them how to set IV lines, dosage of prescription drugs, and every other thing an amateur needs to know until after some months they claim to have mastered the procedures and then begin to bite the hands that fed them. Oh tell me why their senior colleagues will leave a young man who has never handled a patient to be on call alone if not that they are assured of the capable hands of nurses to direct them? They ask u about everything they wana do and u really wonder if they will pay u xtra for been a teacher to a fresh MBBS grad. But if u chose to ignore its the patients that will suffer a lot of things ranging from being punctured 20 times while d H/O s trying to get a vein to taking an overdosage the young man/woman just prescribed. I still remember the faces of all those that learnt from me for that first few months, but thank God the God fearing ones still appreciate that till now.
I wish these selfish doctors thought like this.
irrespective of the fact, the nurse in question feels over utilized, she's realised the patients welfare is more important than all other issues and does the job.
That's how a medical doctor should think. saving lives is 1st priority not the other way round.

2 Likes

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by pembisco(m): 8:22am On Dec 23, 2013
My dear so kal drs. U hv to knw dt bein a dr is nt jst enof bt rada a vry gud dr dt knws wat he/she does. I hv seen many situations whreby patients waited 4 a perticular doc despite ther critical conditions whyl there were 3 docs on seat at dt time. One was evn in labour 4 modan an hr bt her husbnd said he wunt hv any doc touch his wife til a particular doc arivs. So u see docs ,its nt ol abt d title. Tins ar changing. Patients now ar noticing sm of ur inadequetes .so instead of focusing on ur carrier u ar busy beefin oda health wokas.
In ol diz, i jst pity doz lab techs(nt medlab scientists) nd nurses frm scl of nursing. One 4 sure is dt no doc in his ryt mind wl dare insult a Bsc MLS, RAD OR NUS. Cos ol ar professionals wit licence to prctice. Evn in unis, u nid to c hw mbbs/bds studnts luk at odas in d college of medicine. Is so patetic. I rememba my best frnt ,an mbbs studnt önce told me dt i dnt nid anatomy atlas wen i was reading head/neck,neuro anatomy nd thorax in 200l as a medical lab studnt. I jst lafd ova it. Its wel sha. Man mst chop NMA OR NO NMA

1 Like

Re: Expect Total Strike From Jan 6, Doctors Warn by texazzpete(m): 8:42am On Dec 23, 2013
revolt: I wish these selfish doctors thought like this.
irrespective of the fact, the nurse in question feels over utilized, she's realised the patients welfare is more important than all other issues and does the job.
That's how a medical doctor should think. saving lives is 1st priority not the other way round.

Nonsense.
If the Nurses or Medical Lab scientist are on strike, they too will not attend to patients.

In saner climes, people who work in critical functions can depend on their customers to fight for them if they notice something is amiss. Here, everyone is on his own. If ASUU had not gone on strike even ONCE in the past 15 years, new lecturers will still be earning 50k per month and Universities would still be critically underfunded. If the NMA had not forced the State and Federal Governments to improve their welfare packages, they would still be struggling financially today.

If the people whose lives they save cannot fight for them, they'll fight for themselves.

This isn't just about doctors or ASUU. I fully support the right of everyone (JOHESU, Nurses, Pharmacists etc) to strike out and force through better conditions of service for themselves. I despise those who condemn strikes when they have done nothing to help the situation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Kissing Newborn Babies Can Give Them Viral Meningitis - Medical Experts / Benefits Of Deep Breathing For Your Health / Eko Telemed: Lagos Launches Online Medication Platform For The Sick

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 171
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.