Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:38 AM

Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa (805 Views)

Justine Sacco - "Going To Africa. Hope I Don't Get AIDS..... I'm White" - / Russian Judge Fired For Falling Asleep In Court / Woman Fired For Calling Obama A Nigger, Hoping He's Assassinated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa by infonubia(m): 1:11am On Dec 23, 2013
Justine Sacco, formerly a PR executive for the Internet giant InterActive Corp., has been fired over her tweet on Friday that read: "Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding. I'm white!"

Sacco apologized today, saying she is "ashamed" for her insensitivity to the millions of people living with the virus.

She issued the statement to South African newspaper The Star, and also shared the following apology:

Words cannot express how sorry I am, and how necessary it is for me to apologize to the people of South Africa, who I have offended due to a needless and careless tweet," Sacco said. "There is an AIDS crisis taking place in this country, that we read about in America, but do not live with or face on a continuous basis. Unfortunately, it is terribly easy to be cavalier about an epidemic that one has never witnessed firsthand.

For being insensitive to this crisis -- which does not discriminate by race, gender or sexual orientation, but which terrifies us all uniformly -- and to the millions of people living with the virus, I am ashamed.

This is my father's country, and I was born here. I cherish my ties to South Africa and my frequent visits, but I am in anguish knowing that my remarks have caused pain to so many people here; my family, friends and fellow South Africans. I am very sorry for the pain I caused.

I hope she's learned a valuable lesson about the sensitivity of our words - both intentional and unintentional.

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/12/justine-sacco-issues-apology-after.html
Re: Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa by Nobody: 1:49am On Dec 23, 2013
How does she convince us that she didn't apologise just to regain her post or job back. Most of her tweets are all insultive words due to racism. Her tongue brought her down now she's apologising. She already tamed herself as a who.re and an egocentric,obnoxious,spoilt thing .even showing lack of manners and disrespectfulness. just cos her dad is a freaking billonaire. She's more than crazy. She needs her job back. LET SOMEONE TELL HER THAT SHE'S BAD MARKET
LET HER GO TO HELL!!!
**in obj's voice**
i dn't knw and i dnt care. As long as am still an african, her apology can go to shiit

1 Like

Re: Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa by redcliff: 1:51am On Dec 23, 2013
sorry, on both ends, the damage has been done and it seems its ur end that's d most painful. we nor care men....
Re: Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa by Brimmie(m): 1:55am On Dec 23, 2013
Re: Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa by infonubia(m): 2:31am On Dec 23, 2013
redcliff: sorry, on both ends, the damage has been done and it seems its ur end that's d most painful. we nor care men....
Yeah...She should know better.
Re: Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa by DKJaleel: 3:35am On Dec 23, 2013
she should keep her apologies, we dont need it. Was she even coming to Africa to have s.ex at first?? I Hope she dies of that AIDS...Idiatt..

1 Like

Re: Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa by jeffizy(m): 4:22am On Dec 23, 2013
"As you lay your bed, so shall you lie on it".

»The tongue is the smallest weapon of mass destruction ever known.

Guys, how do you use yours?
Re: Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa by infonubia(m): 5:38am On Dec 23, 2013
jeffizy: "As you lay your bed, so shall you lie on it".

»The tongue is the smallest weapon of mass destruction ever known.

Guys, how do you use yours?

well said!
Re: Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa by Nobody: 7:04am On Dec 23, 2013
Her apologise is just to get her job back not because she's sorry or not cos she learnt anything sef
Re: Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa by infonubia(m): 7:08am On Dec 23, 2013
Cykik: Her apologise is just to get her job back not because she's sorry or not cos she learnt anything sef

If that's why she apologized, she should forget it. That job is long gone. Hope she finds another one.
Re: Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa by Nobody: 7:57am On Dec 23, 2013
infonubia:

If that's why she apologized, she should forget it. That job is long gone. Hope she finds another one.
finds another? Shes bad market already cos this news has gone viral.so no one needs her service. LET her help her father squander his money or better still fry akara by the road side.......am also kidding.
Re: Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa by infonubia(m): 8:01am On Dec 23, 2013
Cykik: finds another? Shes bad market already cos this news has gone viral.so no one needs her service. LET her help her father squander his money or better still fry akara by the road side.......am also kidding.
Lmao!
Re: Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa by anonymous6(f): 8:06pm On Dec 23, 2013
Don't feel sorry for her and good for her for losing her job
Re: Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa by infonubia(m): 4:55am On Dec 24, 2013
anonymous6: Don't feel sorry for her and good for her for losing her job
The sad thing is that there are several others who support her tweet.
Re: Justine Sacco Issues Apology After Being Fired For Tweet On AIDS In Africa by Nobody: 10:14am On Dec 24, 2013
infonubia:
The sad thing is that there are several others who support her tweet.
they are fools. I hope they all die of the AIDS

(1) (Reply)

How North Korea Dictator Strip His Uncle Naked To Be Fed By Dogs For Treason / War And Natural Gas: The Israeli Invasion And Gaza’s Offshore Gas Fields / USA Kills Khorosan Terrorist Leader Al-Fadhli -by Attorney Patryk Utulu (USA)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.