Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,818 members, 7,810,140 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:34 PM

Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? (1582 Views)

Barack Obama's Presidency In Fascinating Photos By Pete Souza. / Ghanaians Comment On Their Country's Plan On Letting Nigeria Mint Their Currency / Blacks Are Educated To Feel Inferior - Dr Bedford Umez (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by outlaws(m): 1:37pm On Aug 02, 2008
Is this a joke on Blacks or what? He got a good point improving schools and national healthcare but how is he going to do that? Is he going to appoint Black leaders to make sure that ghetto neighborhoods get the best schools and healthcare or is a White man going to do that. This comes down to the same question people have been asking, “Is He Black Enough To Be A Black President?” If you ask me, I don’t know.

OBAMA COMMENTS CLICK HERE
Re: Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by outlaws(m): 1:40pm On Aug 02, 2008
Re: Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by TayoD1(m): 1:55pm On Aug 02, 2008
@topic,

While I detest most of Obama's policies, I do agree with him a;most 100% of the time when the issue is about the black community. I think he's made the right call on this.
Re: Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by wirinet(m): 5:40pm On Aug 02, 2008
I wish we (black people) move on with our lives and stop blaming all our backwardness on slavery, the world is now a global village. If you have skills you will be demanded by every country in the world. So why do not improve ourselves through improving our educational institutions.

We are to much in a hurry to blame our inadequacies on some flimsy excuse, if it is not home trouble today, it will be generational curses tomorrow, then it will be slavery and also colonialization would be thrown in.

There is hardly any group of people that did not experience slavery,
The Jews were slaves to the Egyptians but the Jews do not ask for reparations from the egyptians.
The Britons and the french (Gaul) were slaves to the romans
Even in Africa, some tribes were slaves to the Binis, the Oyos, etc., are we all going to get reparations from each other.

Slavery is a sad part of human history we must try to forget, and more away from.
I believe all these talk about reparation is holding on unto the past
Re: Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by Fhemmmy: 5:49pm On Aug 02, 2008
Reparations my foot.
the black sold the blacks into slavery, no one forces tem out of benin or ivory coast, even nigerians of today will still sell their mama and papa for money.
Blacks are just greedy and should i say slefish too?
Re: Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by outlaws(m): 11:20am On Aug 03, 2008
cool

I don't know if you know U.S. history very well. The Japanse at one time were put into concentration camps for some years. It wasn't slavery according to U.S. government. After the war ended. U.S. government paid reparation money to victims and their familes. Now the question is, why would U.S. government pay reparation to Japanese for incarcerating them and not pay Blacks for slavery? Is it that Blacks are not worth to be paid? It seems like those who doesn't want reparation for slavery are saying that Blacks are not worth the money?

I always hear some shit from some Blacks that reparation is not a good idea. White people want apology. Bleep that. Apology is the same as doing nothing. So it would be better that they don't apologize than apologiz. Money is what they would have to pay. For those of you who don't know U.S. history very well, Blacks were enslaved for over 362yrs. Do you know what that means? That means Family generations over and over and over were in slaves. Can you imagine working for a whole week without a pay? We are talking about hundreds of years here. The U.S. and Europe made billions of dollars from it. Slaves worked everyday without pay. And what you want for all this shit is an apology. Get a life people.
Re: Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by 4Play(m): 11:42am On Aug 03, 2008
@outlaws

It is one thing to compensate the actual victims of the transgression,e.g Japanese-Americans,it is quite another to demand monetary compensation for descendants who are generations removed from the actual victims of slavery.

What are the modalities for the payments? Will the Govt impose a tax exclusively on white Americans? What about Irish-Americans,Italian-Americans, Eastern-European Americans,e.t.c ? Most of their ancestors came in after slavery was abolished,why should they be held responsible?

Incredibly,the Irish also suffered worse fate than Black people,albeit from Britain,including slavery,yet there is no Irish call for reparation.

If the Govt imposes an exclusive tax on Whites,wouldn't that reduce the general tax intake from them to the detriment of the country as a whole?

I also wonder why there is no similar call for reparations from African nations who were often even more eager participants than whites to indulge in slavery.It took the coercion of the British navy to force many African nations to end slavery.

Why are there no calls for reparation from Arabs? The US took around 700,000 slaves from Africa,the Arabs took at least 10 million, why aren't people demanding reparations for their clearly worse transgression?
Re: Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by 4Play(m): 11:56am On Aug 03, 2008
Modified
Re: Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by beninman(m): 2:08pm On Aug 03, 2008
@4play
Did you read this below sir?

I don't know if you know US. history very well. The Japanese at one time were put into concentration camps for some years. It wasn't slavery according to US. government. After the war ended. US. government paid reparation money to victims and their families. Now the question is, why would US. government pay reparation to Japanese for incarcerating them and not pay Blacks for slavery? Is it that Blacks are not worth to be paid? It seems like those who doesn't want reparation for slavery are saying that Blacks are not worth the money?

I always hear some shit from some Blacks that reparation is not a good idea. White people want apology. Bleep that. Apology is the same as doing nothing. So it would be better that they don't apologize than apologiz. Money is what they would have to pay. For those of you who don't know US. history very well, Blacks were enslaved for over 362yrs. Do you know what that means? That means Family generations over and over and over were in slaves. Can you imagine working for a whole week without a pay? We are talking about hundreds of years here. The US. and Europe made billions of dollars from it. Slaves worked everyday without pay. And what you want for all this shit is an apology. Get a life people.

outlaws is talking of 362yrs here man! And he is not asking Italians or British to pay, but he said America should pay!! Black Americans deserve to be paid Trillions of Dollars for compensations. America owns Black Americans big time!!! I don't care which color American, welther Brown, Red, Blue, Pink or what ever the color America it is, all I know is that America owns Blacks!!
Re: Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by wirinet(m): 4:57pm On Aug 03, 2008
My African brothers MOVE ON!!. Slavery was in the past, leave the past and embrace the future. That is what Obama symbolizes, he is encouraging us to compete on a level playing field with everybody else.

beninman, Since you like reading history, then you will know that no group of people escaped slavery at one time or the order, even from fellow african tribes before the advent of the Europeans. If you are so obsessed with reparation, what do you want indigenous American Indians and Australian Aborigines to do, since they were almost decimated by the Europeans. What about the Jews as i had mentioned earlier, who were either held in slavery or colonized by every Superpower the world has had.

Please my fellow Black brothers Move ahead into the 21st century and not looking back at the 17th century
Re: Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by outlaws(m): 5:19pm On Aug 03, 2008
cool

Obama Is Black and White. Don't forget that. Some times it seems as if his whiteness is over shadowing his blackness when it comes to some of his actions lately. Believe it or not, a lot of Blacks [minority of people] will not vote for Obama due to some of his actions.

Some peole want to move forward without knowing the past. How can you move forward without knowing your roots?

Listen to what Black professionals have to say about reparation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCX2TxvNY3Q
Re: Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by tpia: 11:17pm On Aug 03, 2008
Can people please stop addressing Obama as if he's the biological father of every black person on the planet.
Re: Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:25pm On Aug 03, 2008
tpia:

Can people please stop addressing Obama as if he's the biological father of every black person on the planet.

Obama is the black Jesus of our generation.
Re: Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by Viante(f): 11:26pm On Aug 03, 2008
God Forbid
Re: Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:30pm On Aug 03, 2008
Viante:

God Forbid

God forbid what??
Shey because he is black??

Touch not gods annointed o??
Re: Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by Ndipe(m): 11:31pm On Aug 03, 2008
While blacks contributed to this shameful episode of trading their relatives to slave traders, at the same time, there were some kidnapping going around in the community, kidnapping of black kids by this white slave trader, so dont heap all the blame on black people.
Re: Barack Obama Opposes Reparation, Is He Letting Blacks Down? by Viante(f): 11:37pm On Aug 03, 2008
Obama is acting like a human being who isnt taking sides.

For smone who is mixed up, he makes a lot of sense.

(1) (Reply)

My Tea Party Express Presidential Poll And Other Items / Bin Laden Told Children 'live In Peace In The West' / The Japanese Soldier Who Continued Fighting 29 Years After Japan Surrendered.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.