Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,027 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt (9099 Views)

Check Out Nigeria’s Most Indebted States; Lagos Leads / Igbo Appeal To Lagos Govt, Police To Protect Them After Elections / Fg Says 18,000 Minimum Wage Binding On States, Lgs, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by bilms(m): 1:24pm On Dec 23, 2013
I think i need to sit again...

pls read the content of the letter and explain it to me.

1 Like

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by Tintinix: 3:00pm On Dec 23, 2013
As for! Let's discuss this from Feb 10th at the national conference.

1 Like

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by Garrithe1st: 3:10pm On Dec 23, 2013
..... Only the State House of Assembly is constitutionally empowered to make laws on the public records of the state.

End of Discussion!!!

cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by Igwe9(m): 3:34pm On Dec 23, 2013
Even if it was binding, is it not "what you see, is what you get".
Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by Nobody: 3:44pm On Dec 23, 2013
interesting, Btw what is the state government hiding.

9 Likes

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by bilms(m): 7:07pm On Dec 23, 2013
Hum
Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by karlmax2: 7:16pm On Dec 23, 2013
bilms: I think i need to sit again...

pls read the content of the letter and explain it to me.
so is now that u know? not only lagos state. all apc states dey dont recoqnize the FOI. And some ignoramus would have us believe they are corrupt free

15 Likes

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by bloggernaija: 7:28pm On Dec 23, 2013
karl max: so is now that u know? not only lagos state. all apc states dey dont recoqnize the FOI. And some ignoramus would have us believe they are corrupt free
More like the ODUA states marking out their territory.
Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by scribble: 7:31pm On Dec 23, 2013
Fashola is fast becoming a tyrant

8 Likes

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by DerideGull(m): 7:38pm On Dec 23, 2013
When federal and state law merged at an opposing point on the same pertinent issue, the federal law trumps the state law. Do these half-baked goons in Lagos State want us to believe that democracy is only practiced in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by jamace(m): 8:52pm On Dec 23, 2013
How can All Past Criminals allow you access into their heinous crimes? grin grin grin You wan expose fowl nyash? grin grin

18 Likes

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by bilms(m): 12:19pm On Dec 24, 2013
Na wa o
Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by jamace(m): 5:07pm On Dec 24, 2013
......Skeletons in the cupboard........ grin

1 Like

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by Ikengawo: 5:21pm On Dec 24, 2013
see how the state printer ran out of ink.....chie..

1 Like

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by jamace(m): 7:47pm On Dec 24, 2013
Ikengawo: see how the state printer ran out of ink.....chie..
Funny. grin grin grin
Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by bilms(m): 10:18pm On Dec 24, 2013
Lol
Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by ImperialYoruba: 10:40pm On Dec 24, 2013
DerideGull: When federal and state law merged at an opposing point on the same pertinent issue, the federal law trumps the state law. Do these half-baked goons in Lagos State want us to believe that democracy is only practiced in Nigeria.

The Constitution says any law which it has not abrogated to National Assembly is open to the State Assemblies to legislate. The Constitution has not authorized the National Assembly with the power to legislate on the FOI and its broad applications. Implicitly, the States are in this case granted a residual and unabridged authority to self determination on FOI.

Lagos State is on point!

4 Likes

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by karlmax2: 10:52pm On Dec 24, 2013
ImperialYoruba:

The Constitution says any law which it has not abrogated to National Assembly is open to the State Assemblies to legislate. The Constitution has not authorized the National Assembly with the power to legislate on the FOI and its broad applications. Implicitly, the States are in this case granted a residual and unabridged authority to self determination on FOI.

Lagos State is on point!
yet ur one of those clamouring for transperency on the part of the FG. U want to know how much NNPC remitted into the federation account. But at the same time lagos is on point for hiding how much and how the fraudulent lcc concession went down and how sure p money has been spent .thats why every apc goon are hypocrites from the party chairman to their supporters

34 Likes

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by Kajiang02(m): 11:00pm On Dec 24, 2013
Pls does this means states are independent of this FOI bill thus granting state governors access to unlimited misbehaviors, cos it'll never become open to public?

1 Like

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by karlmax2: 11:23pm On Dec 24, 2013
Kajiang02: Pls does this means states are independent of this FOI bill thus granting state governors access to unlimited misbehaviors, cos it'll never become open to public?
yes thats what it means!!

1 Like

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by ImperialYoruba: 11:45pm On Dec 24, 2013
karl max: yet ur one of those clamouring for transperency on the part of the FG. U want to know how much NNPC remitted into the federation account. But at the same time lagos is on point for hiding how much and how the fraudulent lcc concession went down and how sure p money has been spent .thats why every apc goon are hypocrites from the party chairman to their supporters

We are talking about public records here, not PDP/APC. Freedom of Information is a request to government to declassify and make public documents relating to actions which would in the first place have been classified as "secret". Documents not in classifications are open and not in contention with FOI. Transparency is an obligation, there is no statute of law that calls for it.

3 Likes

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by ImperialYoruba: 11:48pm On Dec 24, 2013
Kajiang02: Pls does this means states are independent of this FOI bill thus granting state governors access to unlimited misbehaviors, cos it'll never become open to public?

Just because a State is not a party to FOI rule does not mean it is absolved of need for accountability. There are other routes to obtaining documents from government outside of FOI.

1 Like

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by bilms(m): 8:07am On Dec 27, 2013
I wonder o
Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by ayo84(m): 8:13am On Dec 27, 2013
Everyone has something to hide out there,
Asiwaju has so many skeletons on his cupboard.

5 Likes

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by taharqa: 8:17am On Dec 27, 2013
ImperialYoruba:

Just because a State is not a party to FOI rule does not mean it is absolved of need for accountability. There are other routes to obtaining documents from government outside of FOI.
Can you SHUT ya mouth, plz.....

13 Likes

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by Ikengawo: 8:27am On Dec 27, 2013
I like the way Lagos handles it's affairs, you can tell a lawyer is in charge.

if FOI excludes states there's nothing wrong with that. It's then up to the state assemblies to pass their own FOI bills

1 Like

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by OmoTier1(m): 8:29am On Dec 27, 2013
DerideGull: When federal and state law merged at an opposing point on the same pertinent issue, the federal law trumps the state law. Do these half-baked goons in Lagos State want us to believe that democracy is only practiced in Nigeria.

I can't believe you grew this old and your brain has not developed more than that of a ten years old! The nigeria constitution is explicit on matters of jurisdiction in law, hence the reason your statement comes across as so childish!

I am less worried about Lagos State government not providing response to the FOI request, rather more concerned as to why our Federal legislators would pass such a crucial bill into law with tax monies spent and not realising that such a big loop hole exist in the bill. To think the consultants who scrutinised the bill did not see this as a 'defect' in the bill is even more worrisome.

Rather than spewing rubbish on NL at your old age, as any responsible citizen should do, write to your MP, Senate and House of Rep to get them to tighten the loop hole in the bill by putting forward an amendment to make it compulsory for every state to domesticate the bill.

7 Likes

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by OmoTier1(m): 8:30am On Dec 27, 2013
taharqa: Can you SHUT ya mouth, plz.....
When will you stop resorting to shouting down people when your nonsensical garbage spewed in your post is decimated by constructive response by sane folks on here lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by nduchucks: 8:40am On Dec 27, 2013
The main problem I have with Fashola is his political naivety, inexperience. and apparent lack of understanding of the dynamics of public relations. While it may be technically and legally correct to state that FOI is not binding on states, that should not be the main focus of Fashola's pronouncements because it may appears to the public and even some of his supporters, as if he is against the FOI act.

The declaration that FOI is not binding on states, should have been a reason given for why he, Fashola, has sent a FOI bill to lagos state legislature.

1 Like

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by luvinhubby(m): 8:40am On Dec 27, 2013
I knew it, I knew it, all this while this Tinubu stooges in power are milking us dry through outrageous taxes while enriching themselves with it, meanwhile they are shouting progressive nonsense to hoodwink us.... grin
Now are I know where the main crooks are, ALAUSA. cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by OmoTier1(m): 8:49am On Dec 27, 2013
ndu_chucks: The main problem I have with Fashola is his political naivety, inexperience. and apparent lack of understanding of the dynamics of public relations. While it may be technically and legally correct to state that FOI is not binding on states, that should not be the main focus of Fashola's pronouncements because it may appears to the public and even some of his supporters, as if he is against the FOI act.

The declaration that FOI is not binding on states, should have been a reason given for why he, Fashola, has sent a FOI bill to lagos state legislature.
Whilst I agree with the reasoning behind your comments, however, you also recognize that it is also a legitimate expectation that as a citizen you are here to help fill this void by sponsoring a citizens bill in the state house if assembly so that this FOI can be domesticated.

Fashola has always being known to have some concerns on the manner, and nature of the FOI not because He is against accountability, rather in my own opinion, I think He sees it from the prism of law as a bill not thoroughly thought out with several weaknesses that could cause the nation much problems security wise.
Re: FOI Not Binding On States- Lagos Govt by nduchucks: 9:02am On Dec 27, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Whilst I agree with the reasoning behind your comments, however, you also recognize that it is also a legitimate expectation that as a citizen you are here to help fill this void by sponsoring a citizens bill in the state house if assembly so that this FOI can be domesticated.

Fashola has always being known to have some concerns on the manner, and nature of the FOI not because He is against accountability, rather in my own opinion, I think He sees it from the prism of law as a bill not thoroughly thought out and several weaknesses that could cause the nation much problems security wise.

I acknowledge the responsibility of citizens to sponsor bills and some of us have actually worked with our legislators to do just that.

Do you mind shedding some light to the concerns Fashola has on the manner, and nature of the FOI? Are you aware of any bills in the pipeline, whether sponsored by citizens, legislators, of Fashola? There doesn't seem to be any such bill in existence, but i stand corrected.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Offa Robberies: Saraki Writes Police IG Again, Denies Links With Suspects.. / President Buhari Finalises Nigeria’s Membership In African Trade Insurance / The 7 Most Populous Nigerian Tribes In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.