Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,772 members, 7,817,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

What Does The Bible Say About Christmas? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does The Bible Say About Christmas? (1340 Views)

What Does The Bible Say About Tattoos / Body Piercings? / What Does The Bible Say About Make-up? / What The Bible Say About Sports! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does The Bible Say About Christmas? by Omarionlove3: 11:23pm On Dec 23, 2013
The Bible’s answer

The Bible does not give the date of Jesus’ birth, nor does it say that we should celebrate his birthday. As McClintock and Strong’s Cyclopedia states: “"The observance of Christmas is not of divine appointment, nor is it of NT [New Testament] origin."”

Instead, an examination of the history of Christmas exposes its roots in pagan religious rites. The Bible shows that we offend God if we try to worship him in a way that he does not approve of.—Exodus 32:5-7.
History of Christmas customs

Celebrating Jesus’ birthday: “"The early Christians did not celebrate [Jesus’] birth because they considered the celebration of anyone’s birth to be a pagan custom."”—The World Book Encyclopedia.

December 25: There is no proof that Jesus was born on that date. Church leaders likely chose this date to coincide with pagan festivals held on or around the winter solstice.

Gift-giving, feasting, partying: The Encyclopedia Americana says: “"Saturnalia, a Roman feast celebrated in mid-December, provided the model for many of the merry-making customs of Christmas. From this celebration, for example, were derived the elaborate feasting, the giving of gifts, and the burning of candles."” The Encyclopædia Britannica notes that “"all work and business were suspended"” during Saturnalia.

Christmas lights: According to The Encyclopedia of Religion, Europeans decorated their homes “"with lights and evergreens of all kinds"” to celebrate the winter solstice and to combat evil spirits.

Mistletoe, holly: “"The Druids ascribed magical properties to the mistletoe in particular. The evergreen holly was worshiped as a promise of the sun’s return."”—The Encyclopedia Americana.

Christmas tree: “"Tree worship, common among the pagan Europeans, survived after their conversion to Christianity."” One of the ways in which tree worship survived is in the custom of “"placing a Yule tree at an entrance or inside the house in the midwinter holidays."”—Encyclopædia Britannica.

3 Likes

Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christmas? by ITbomb(m): 12:46am On Dec 24, 2013
Christmas celebration is not an act of worship, it is just a remembrance please and celebration of God's gift of love
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christmas? by Freksy(m): 1:14am On Dec 24, 2013
'We will be saved by His grace, so worship Him the way it was universally agreed by our church fathers. If it pleases you to celebrate Christmas, go ahead and celebrate, it will please God too. Recall that He is a happy God, so, He wants us, his children to be happy too.

It's possible that Jesus and the early disciples forgot, or were too busy to celebrate christ's birthday. It could also be that they celebrated, but since everything was not recorded then, the Holy Spirit later revealed to our church fathers what we must do as a remembrancer and a mark of appreciation for the ransome sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The Christianisation of those pagan customs were God-revealed/given strategies to put an end to those pagan customs and bring their practicers to the warm embrace of The Lord Jesus Christ. Remember, God does not desire any man to be destroyed.

Omarionlove3, you are right about the history of Christmas celebration, but would like to reiterate: 'we will be saved by His grace', not by avoidance or embrace of paganism in our worship, can you or anyone disprove this?'
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christmas? by Freksy(m): 1:29am On Dec 24, 2013
ITbomb: Christmas celebration is not an act of worship, it is just a remembrance please and celebration of God's gift of love

Christmas celebration has a lot to do with worship. It is more than just...

Worship entails a lot. Christmas celebration is fabricated into our worship.

My concern is with the pagan stuff...is God truly happy with it?
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christmas? by khattab02: 6:08am On Dec 24, 2013
ITbomb: Christmas celebration is not an act of worship, it is just a remembrance please and celebration of God's gift of love
remembrance of what? and who acknowledged it?
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christmas? by tpia1: 6:12am On Dec 24, 2013
If you are with people who feel strongly about celebrating christmas, you can forgo it for their sake, its not mandatory per se and the bible does mention in such instances, we are to bear with one another.

Assuming for example, everybody in your vicinity does not observe christmas and consider it a pagan festival, it would be wiser to abstain for the meantime.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christmas? by khattab02: 7:02am On Dec 24, 2013
Freksy:

Christmas celebration has a lot to do with worship. It is more than just...

Worship entails a lot. Christmas celebration is fabricated into our worship.

My concern is with the pagan stuff...is God truly happy with it?
No no, God is not happy with it because God spoke strongly against it in the old scripture.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christmas? by tpia1: 7:16am On Dec 24, 2013
There are very few things in this world which do not have a pagan or non christian origin, if we really want to analyze stuff.

However, in the case of christian holidays, it is still not sure if non christians are the ones taking over christian celebrations or the other way round.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christmas? by khattab02: 8:13am On Dec 24, 2013
Freksy: 'We will be saved by His grace, so worship Him the way it was universally agreed by our church fathers. If it pleases you to celebrate Christmas, go ahead and celebrate, it will please God too. Recall that He is a happy God, so, He wants us, his children to be happy too.

It's possible that Jesus and the early disciples forgot, or were too busy to celebrate christ's birthday. It could also be that they celebrated, but since everything was not recorded then, the Holy Spirit later revealed to our church fathers what we must do as a remembrancer and a mark of appreciation for the ransome sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The Christianisation of those pagan customs were God-revealed/given strategies to put an end to those pagan customs and bring their practicers to the warm embrace of The Lord Jesus Christ. Remember, God does not desire any man to be destroyed.

Omarionlove3, you are right about the history of Christmas celebration, but would like to reiterate: 'we will be saved by His grace', not by avoidance or embrace of paganism in our worship, can you or anyone disprove this?'
@ first bolded, you ought to worship God the way God has stated to be worshipped in the scripture, not the way church fathers agreed universally. '' if christmas pleases you go ahead'' is God approve of it or does it pleases God? If you don't know or not sure, leave it. You ought to please God the way God wants to be pleased not the way you want to please God.

Lol@ second bolded, assumptions. 33 years and no record about his birthday? That's absurd. Not only the disciples o, the early christians too didn't know as such didn't practise it.

@ third bolded, God spoke strongly against such practises in the old scriptures.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christmas? by Freksy(m): 9:13am On Dec 24, 2013
tpia1: If you are with people who feel strongly about celebrating christmas, you can forgo it for their sake, its not mandatory per se and the bible does mention in such instances, we are to bear with one another.

Assuming for example, everybody in your vicinity does not observe christmas and consider it a pagan festival, it would be wiser to abstain for the meantime.

The bolded appears good, was it about Christmas/pagan-related celebrations? The scripture, please.

If you also believe that Christmas celebration is pagan-related, would it be wiser to abstain from it for the sake of man or for the sake of God?
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christmas? by tpia1: 9:23am On Dec 24, 2013
Instances where there is a difference of opinion.

Rather than argue endlessly, we are to bear with one another and forgo whatever theological exegesis is causing the division.

In this case, a believer who celebrates christmas but is in the middle of other believers who don't, can decide not to observe it if doing so will cause others to question their beliefs.

The last part is my opinion.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christmas? by Freksy(m): 2:40pm On Dec 24, 2013
tpia1: Instances where there is a difference of opinion.

Rather than argue endlessly, we are to bear with one another and forgo whatever theological exegesis is causing the division.

In this case, a believer who celebrates christmas but is in the middle of other believers who don't, can decide not to observe it if doing so will cause others to question their beliefs.

The last part is my opinion.

Ok, I can see.

The differences were majorly on things they used to practice under the mosaic law. In Christian Era, many of such were no longer necessary, though many adherents found it difficult to do away with them. Birthday celebration had never been associated with or reported among the worshipers of the true God - both in pre-Christian and Christian Era, as op pointed. Celebration of christ's birthday was later introduction. Its pagan roots is still my concern. Thanks though for your opinion.
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christmas? by Freksy(m): 4:06pm On Dec 24, 2013
khattab02:
@ first bolded, you ought to worship God the way God has stated to be worshipped in the scripture, not the way church fathers agreed universally. '' if christmas pleases you go ahead'' is God approve of it or does it pleases God? If you don't know or not sure, leave it. You ought to please God the way God wants to be pleased not the way you want to please God.

You really make sense here. But does it really matter, considering the fact that we will all be saved by Grace?

You say if I am in doubt should leave it, is there any scripture that says we must be sure of all things?

Lol@ second bolded, assumptions. 33 years and no record about his birthday? That's absurd. Not only the disciples o, the early christians too didn't know as such didn't practise it.

There are many today older than 33 that can't really tell when they were born.

Recall that birthday celebration pre-existed Jesus' earthly life. Granted, perfect man he was, thus, could not have forgotten his birthday. Also, if that was important to him he could have made out time for it, or told us to do it later. Nevertheless, I think it does not really matter, since we are doing it to the LORD. Note that God knows our motives, besides, we will be saved by His grace.

I must confess, I am a bit confused.

[quote]
@ third bolded, God spoke strongly against such practises in the old scriptures.

Is there anything like "the old scriptures"? Lol... You mean OT? I read Exodus 32:5-7 that was quoted by op, it's about the wayward Israelites who made feast to the LORD. They worshiped molten calf. That was pagan way of worship, no doubt, and was condemned. I am still thinking about it to see how it relates to Christmas. Can you or op shed a little light to enable me see the point(s)?
Re: What Does The Bible Say About Christmas? by Freksy(m): 4:37pm On Dec 24, 2013
tpia1: There are very few things in this world which do not have a pagan or non christian origin, if we really want to analyze stuff.

You are correct, but I think it's wise to do away with the ones we are sure of, especially, if we involve God in it.

However, in the case of christian holidays, it is still not sure if non christians are the ones taking over christian celebrations or the other way round.

I am sure it's the other way round - Christians christianized pagan customs. What I am trying to be sure of is God's view of the matter.

I know paganism is wrong, but this Christmas thing,....I grew up with it, it's hard to let it go, besides, how will friends and family members react?

(1) (Reply)

Does The Holy Spirit Direct The Governing Body Of Jehovah's Witnesses? / This Made Me Laugh Really Hard... / March 20 Total Solar Eclipse Not Visible In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.