Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,365 members, 7,815,780 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Thread For all those in the Accountanting And Banking field(including aspirants) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Thread For all those in the Accountanting And Banking field(including aspirants) (812 Views)

Nigerian Air Force DSSC 25/26 Aspirants 2015 / Geophysicists, Geologists, & Petroleum Engineers: Professionals & Aspirants / Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Thread For all those in the Accountanting And Banking field(including aspirants) by Otunbalarry: 8:09am On Dec 24, 2013
This thread is created so as to bring together future accountants and bankers(the future can be 1month from now) no matter how many months left for them to become accountants or no matter the number of years experience you have in the field.
Lets come together and rub minds,share career uplifting experiences,how to become a successful accountant and banker,possible job opportunities open to accountants and available vacancies as at the period of sharing info.
Lets come here to share our problems as an accountant and let mit pple who will offer some form of solution,or even a problem shared is half solvd,especially when shared amongst like minds.
Lets change lives,and help people achieve their dreams.
Re: Thread For all those in the Accountanting And Banking field(including aspirants) by gabito4luv(m): 9:53am On Dec 24, 2013
Working as an Accountant has been fulfilling for me though there re challenges
Re: Thread For all those in the Accountanting And Banking field(including aspirants) by Otunbalarry: 9:57am On Dec 24, 2013
gabito4luv: Working as an Accountant has been fulfilling for me though there re challenges
pls share with us your experiences and the challenges,and how you've bin able to manage them
Re: Thread For all those in the Accountanting And Banking field(including aspirants) by gabito4luv(m): 12:08pm On Dec 24, 2013
1st was the issue of drawing up accounts whc I found out was different from what I learnt in school.
I was under constant pressure to deliver meanwhile, I wasnt trained in practical terms. In the long run,
I was creative in drawing up the books of accounts and was commended by the external auditor during
the statutory audit. I now work as an Auditor wch is another discovery of its own.
Re: Thread For all those in the Accountanting And Banking field(including aspirants) by hayoakins(m): 3:15pm On Dec 24, 2013
gabito4luv: 1st was the issue of drawing up accounts whc I found out was different from what I learnt in school.
I was under constant pressure to deliver meanwhile, I wasnt trained in practical terms. In the long run,
I was creative in drawing up the books of accounts and was commended by the external auditor during
the statutory audit. I now work as an Auditor wch is another discovery of its own.

As an Accountant, you should be mindful of the words you use. Being creative in accounting is window dressing accounts which is criminal offence, e.g. Arthur Anderson and Eron's case. The reason why Accounting is guided by principles and conventions and not personal opinion, thanks to IFRS, IAS and other GAAPs that keeps changing while one is still familiarizing oneself with the existing standards.

Though i am an Accounting major but presently works as a Project Analyst, that is where you can be creative and not be charged grin
Re: Thread For all those in the Accountanting And Banking field(including aspirants) by gabito4luv(m): 7:56pm On Dec 24, 2013
By creative, I meant lookin at my books and reproducin the methods in my books of accounts. Remember I said I learnt on my own
Re: Thread For all those in the Accountanting And Banking field(including aspirants) by Victosin09(f): 8:28pm On Dec 24, 2013
Nice
Re: Thread For all those in the Accountanting And Banking field(including aspirants) by nitrogen(m): 3:02pm On Dec 25, 2013
Let me talk about some related fields and creativity, cos I believe there is nothing like creativity in accounting, except you delve into related fields or you wanna create accounts (you should get what I mean).

Some related fields require some form of creativity, although they might be conventional too, like audit, tax etc, it all depends on how you see and want to do it, for example, auditing (leave external, think internal) requires smartness, a thief will always create ideas of stealing, and for you to catch a thief, you have to be smarter than him, you should be able to know where he will land, you should be able to speculate his next move, that is it about (internal) audit. For external, it is all stiff and rigid, no initiative, just about following the procedures, and preparing the MCR.

Tax is great! How do I avoid, not evade tax? That's what makes it interesting, you see, there are loopholes (lots) in our tax laws and what have you, and nobody will teach you how to take advantage of that to reduce your tax to the barest minimum, note that we are just trying to avoid and not evade tax here which takes a great deal of professionalism to do. Fact!

Back to accounting, smartness is there too, at least to some extent, especially when it comes to the end of a quarter or year when you have to get things done, the pressure is high, so you've got to think of ways to get many things done within the available time, I call it 'conventional smartness'. Be aware that there are aspects of accounting that are not fully conventional, when chanced, will vomit some.

Oh! About banking, I only like talking about investment banking, it is a field I want into anytime soon. I like investment banking a lot. Creativity is highly needed here, maybe because of dynamism.

NB: All that up there are from the lil experiences I have in like two or three of these fields, so, if any has got opposing opinions or buttressing facts, chip them in, we are all learning.

Merry Xmas!
Re: Thread For all those in the Accountanting And Banking field(including aspirants) by gabito4luv(m): 4:45pm On Dec 25, 2013
there two major accts in a manufacturing coy: financial n mgt accts. In preparin financial accts, d rules re to be followed strictly while mgt accts is dynamic. The creativity in my earlier posts were in d area of mgt acctin. I had to be creative in drawin up such accts dependin on d purpose. Hop I its in line wit current practices?
Re: Thread For all those in the Accountanting And Banking field(including aspirants) by gabito4luv(m): 4:59pm On Dec 25, 2013
Working as an accountant, I have come to appreciate mgt accting. Some companies focus more on the financial part whc to my mind shd nt be. Mgt accting information is very essential in ensuring the growth and survival of an org. Does anyone share my views??

1 Like

Re: Thread For all those in the Accountanting And Banking field(including aspirants) by Otunbalarry: 1:18pm On Dec 27, 2013
Please moderators,i request that the thread should be moved to education,it was previously there before it was moved here,have modified the topic,i think it suits education section where people can share views more and where there can be more inputs.
Thanks in anticipation

(1) (Reply)

Master Degree Or Professional Qualification / The 10 Million Naira Dream / 10 Truths We Forget Too Easily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.