Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,787 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

Meet America's First Openly Gay Imam (photo) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Meet America's First Openly Gay Imam (photo) (1302 Views)

What Right Does A Pastor Have Disgracing Someone Openly During Service? / Meet First Openly Gay Imam / Cognitive Dissonance!church "apoints" First Openly Muslim Priest! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet America's First Openly Gay Imam (photo) by ManiCypher(m): 11:03am On Dec 24, 2013
The land of freedom, America, now boast of an openly gay Imam. And the Muslim community is not happy about it. Imam Daayiee Abdulah, the only openly gay Imam in America & possibly the world, was born and raised a Baptist Christian faithful in Detroit but converted to Islam while studying in China. Upon his conversion, he noticed the spiritual gap lesbians, gays & transsexuals in the Islamic faith had and decided to become an Imam so as to provide an ideal Islamic support for them, he says.

"Being an openly gay imam and having been identified as such, I do get a lot of feedback and also kickback, but that's OK,” he said. “I think that when people are unfamiliar with things, they tend to have an emotional knee-jerk reaction to it. Sometimes necessity is the mother of invention. And because of the necessity in our community, that's why I came into this particular role."

Abdulah, who says he told his parents he was gay at age 15, converted to Islam at the age of 33 and went on to study the religion in Egypt, Jordan and Syria. Asked what was his first spiritual act as an Imam, Abdulahi says it was the funeral for a gay Muslim who had died of AIDS...

"They had contacted a number of imams, and no one would go and provide him his janazah services. This pained me. I believe every person, no matter if I disagree with you or not, you have the right as a Muslim to have the proper spiritual rites and rituals provided for you. And whoever judges you, that will be Allah's decision, not me. The beautiful thing about God is that when you change your attitude, and say, 'God, I need some help,' and mean it sincerely, God is always there for you,”

Abdullah serves as the imam and educational director of the Light of Reform Mosque in Washington, D.C, a place he calls a a rare safe space for Muslim LGBT. In his Mosque, which he founded in 2011, women and men kneel side-by-side and women are allowed to lead prayers, an action that has sparked controversy in the Muslim world.

Re: Meet America's First Openly Gay Imam (photo) by vanhelsing2099(m): 11:25am On Dec 24, 2013
Cum help me drill n screw #nairaland_rotaredom
Re: Meet America's First Openly Gay Imam (photo) by emperorchedda(m): 11:32am On Dec 24, 2013
Way to go cheesy
Re: Meet America's First Openly Gay Imam (photo) by Guykhena(m): 11:51am On Dec 24, 2013
I keep saying islam is not a religion,it's an excuse for not being a christian
Re: Meet America's First Openly Gay Imam (photo) by damibravo(m): 11:57am On Dec 24, 2013
He is already on the To die List......
Re: Meet America's First Openly Gay Imam (photo) by ManiCypher(m): 12:03pm On Dec 24, 2013
Guykhena: I keep saying islam is not a religion,it's an excuse for not being a christian

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Meet America's First Openly Gay Imam (photo) by a4hafoe(m): 12:07pm On Dec 24, 2013
well i must say,this is purely unislamic...a gay in islam? and women leading prayers?... am sure y'all know islam dose not support any of those...he has an xtian background though...
Re: Meet America's First Openly Gay Imam (photo) by Guykhena(m): 12:40pm On Dec 24, 2013
a4.hafoe:
well i must say,this is purely unislamic...a gay in islam? and women leading prayers?... am sure y'all know islam dose not support any of those...he has an xtian background though...
. Yap u are right,he's an xtian cus of d silly hat he wore nd d bushy bears like osama Fooool,,,just bcus ur religion is doomed,,u re trying 2 shift it towards other religions,fowl
Re: Meet America's First Openly Gay Imam (photo) by a4hafoe(m): 12:44pm On Dec 24, 2013
Guykhena: . Yap u are right,he's an xtian cus of d silly hat he wore nd d bushy bears like osama Fooool,,,just bcus ur religion is doomed,,u re trying 2 shift it towards other religions,fowl
see dis pikin...i neva said he is an xtian....if u no go school mk i write am fr pigin...im get xtian background... and hu foli u yarn dat on say my religion oz doom?...cow headed boi u just displayed lunacy...
Re: Meet America's First Openly Gay Imam (photo) by Guykhena(m): 1:26pm On Dec 24, 2013
a4.hafoe:
see dis pikin...i neva said he is an xtian....if u no go school mk i write am fr pigin...im get xtian background... and hu foli u yarn dat on say my religion oz doom?...cow headed boi u just displayed lunacy...
. Ur islam crap is already doomed,this is just one of the signs,,they say imams are d representation of mohammed on earth,,so does this mean mohammed is gay?
Re: Meet America's First Openly Gay Imam (photo) by Ruq: 1:29pm On Dec 24, 2013
Terrorist where are you ?
Re: Meet America's First Openly Gay Imam (photo) by a4hafoe(m): 5:39pm On Dec 24, 2013
Guykhena: . Ur islam crap is already doomed,this is just one of the signs,,they say imams are d representation of mohammed on earth,,so does this mean mohammed is gay?
u speak like u neva visit d sku b4 dude.. Mohammed has a prophet thought Muslims what islam should b in accordance to Allah's will...u read the original post and saw in it the reaction of Muslims...and u still come talking shit like...well if u forgot my 1st post has something like "this is purely unislamic"...so shut d f up....and if u forgot ur pastors wed gay couples... now tell me who is quite doom...are u still asking?
Re: Meet America's First Openly Gay Imam (photo) by deebrain(m): 7:11pm On Dec 24, 2013
i know this is about Islam but i can't control myself not saying....

BLOOD OF JESUS!!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Why Does God Refer To Himself In The Plural? / Great Wonder Child Birth In FCT Hospital / Jesus' Earthly Ministry Lasted A Little More Than Two Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.