Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,796 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

Why Do People Prefer The Short Form Xmas To Christmas? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do People Prefer The Short Form Xmas To Christmas? (686 Views)

Merry Xmas To My Christian Brethren / This Is Why Girls Prefer The Front Seat In The Church / The Short Answer Interviews: Cruelty To Animals: Thehomer, Wiegraf, Plaetton (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Do People Prefer The Short Form Xmas To Christmas? by Dot1(m): 1:27pm On Dec 24, 2013
This is something that has been in vogue since antiquity. But I never stopped wondering why people prefer to write and/or pronoun Christmas as Xmas. The 1st one contains CHRIST who is reason for the season, while in the other (i.e xmas), the Christ has been substituted with 'X'. We all know X is used pellucidly to depict salacious content. My question now is, what is the correlation between Christ and X? also, why do people prefer the shorter form?
Re: Why Do People Prefer The Short Form Xmas To Christmas? by RayMcBlue(m): 1:55pm On Dec 24, 2013
The title “Christ,” or more accurately “Christos,” is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew word “Messiah.” And in Greek, the first letter in the word “Christos” is “X” (pronounced “chi” with a “k” sound). It was in Europe during the 1500s that Christians began to use “X” to refer to “Christ” in the word “Christmas.”

Source: Google.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Prefer The Short Form Xmas To Christmas? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Dec 24, 2013
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Ray McBlue: The title “Christ,” or more accurately “Christos,” is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew word “Messiah.” And in Greek, the first letter in the word “Christos” is “X” (pronounced “chi” with a “k” sound). It was in Europe during the 1500s that Christians began to use “X” to refer to “Christ” in the word “Christmas.”

Source: Google.
Finally someone who agrees with me.Nigerians won't read to know they will just come out and say everything is sin.smh

(1) (Reply)

Fatah Declares War On Israel / Leave Men Of God Alone!!!! / Consistent Christian Living

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.