Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

"Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up (3782 Views)

"Why I Converted To Islam'- Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up / 18 People Converted To Islam At National Mosque Yesterday / Kuwaiti Prince Abdullah al-Sabah Converted To Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by tintingz(m): 8:01pm On Dec 24, 2013
Recently divorced Nollywood actress Vivian Metchie says she recently adopted the Islamic faith because she found the Christian faith too confusing. Speaking with Yes! magazine on her conversion, Ms Metchie said it was a personal decision she had to take...

"Yeah it is personal. I understand the Koran more than the bible. All of a sudden, the Christian confusion was driving me nuts. My dad was catholic, my mum was Deeper Life, I married someone in the Redeemed Church and then all of a sudden, the few religions had something bad to say about each other. I just couldn't take it anymore. A friend of mine who is close to me said that once you are grounded on the word, it wont be confusing. Unfortunately, maybe I wasn't grounded in the word, but I still could see what I see. But in my quest and study and research, I don't know: I was probably looking for peace. Yeah! That was what I was looking for and I found it in the Koran".

The mother of 4 who has adopted Fareedah as her muslim name says her decision was well received and respected by her dad who has since stopped calling her by her native name and now calls her Fareedah.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-95uqGX1OOZU/UrmNS_UV3OI/AAAAAAACVr4/9ez5qSJsSPU/s280/vivian.jpg[/img]

[img]http://2.bp..com/-M2jEIfRnhuE/UrmNDo3NZrI/AAAAAAACVrw/DAQS_y9eJ8s/s280/vivian1.jpg[/img]

Source

2 Likes

Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by DMainMan: 8:05pm On Dec 24, 2013
Nyc 1. I still cant beleive dat most topics here do not reach first page unlike those of oda religions, even on Fridays. Seriously, I dont know wat has happened to d mods here or are they marginalised.

1 Like

Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by lanrexlan(m): 8:25pm On Dec 24, 2013
DMainMan: Nyc 1. I still cant beleive dat most topics here do not reach first page unlike those of oda religions, even on Fridays. Seriously, I dont know wat has happened to d mods here or are they marginalised.
Don't blame mods,mods only recommend topics supermods put topics on front page.Let's hope this made front page.
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by sweettweet: 8:59pm On Dec 24, 2013
Alhamdulilah for her
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by DMainMan: 9:05pm On Dec 24, 2013
lanrexlan: Don't blame mods,mods only recommend topics supermods put topics on front page.Let's hope this made front page.

Ok
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by DMainMan: 9:05pm On Dec 24, 2013
sweettweet: Alhamdulilah for her
Yes o
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by WHees(m): 9:22pm On Dec 24, 2013
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by khowman(m): 9:35pm On Dec 24, 2013
subhanallah may allah guide you more.
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by AbdH: 12:39am On Dec 25, 2013
Good for her. I hope she converts her husband too for that is the best thing........
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by tintingz(m): 5:18am On Dec 25, 2013
lanrexlan: Don't blame mods,mods only recommend topics supermods put topics on front page.Let's hope this made front page.
I hope so
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by tintingz(m): 5:23am On Dec 25, 2013
AbdH: Good for her. I hope she converts her husband too for that is the best thing........
Reading from the report, she's a divorcee but she can still pass the message of Islam to her ex-hubby things might work out(getting back together) or marry a muslim brother. wink smiley

May Allah help her.
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by tintingz(m): 6:27am On Dec 25, 2013
ACTRESS VIVIAN METCHIE TALKS ABOUT HER FAILED MARRIAGE, CONVERSION TO ISLAM AND RETURN TO NOLLYWOOD

Candlelight star, Vivian Metchie, is back. The actress who stepped aside from the kleighlight after her marriage to Wale Adesina – which unfortunately later failed – spoke to YES International!’s AZUH ARINZE recently. The mother of four who hails from Anambra State gave her reasons for her failed marriage, why she converted to Islam, her return to Nollywood and more. Brutally frank, you will enjoy what she told us…

What has been happening to Vivian Metchie?
Trying to make a come back; my family, my kids, business. That’s it basically.

What exactly do you mean by trying to come back?
I left Nollywood a long time ago… Why did you leave? To raise a family. I got married, had kids and I’m done with that now. I want to stage a come back.

Yes! You used to be a Christian, but now you are a Muslim, why did you do that?
Personal decision…

But there must be a reason? Yeah! It’s personal.
I understand the Koran more than I do the Bible. All of a sudden, the Christian confusion was driving me nuts. My daddy is Catholic, my mum was Deeper Life, I married someone in The Redeemed Church and then all of a sudden, the few religions had something bad to say about each other. I just couldn’t take that anymore. A friend of mine who’s close to me said that once you are grounded in the word, it won’t be confusing. Unfortunately, maybe I wasn’t grounded in the word, but I still could see what I could see. But in my quest and study and search, I don’t know; I was probably looking for peace. Yeah! That was what I was looking for…

(Interruption) – And you found it in Islam?
Yes, I found it in the Koran.

So, how is life as a Muslim?
Fantastic!

How did your people take it when you told them you wanted to convert to Islam?
Which my people?

Your parents, your husband and so on?
My father hardly faults my decisions. As a matter of fact, my father, the minute I told him, he said okay; are you sure it makes you happy? I said yes and he said okay. And he stopped calling me my native name. He started calling me Fareedah.

Is that your Islamic name?
Yes! Fareedah.

What does Fareedah mean?
It means something that is unique, something that is one of its kind; it’s the name of Allah. Allah is Fareed; Al-Fareed. Allah is just one. So, Fareeda is one. There’s only one God.

We also understand that your marriage has collapsed. Is that true?
We are separated.

What happened; what led to the separation?
I don’t know! Communication broke down, I married early, plenty of immaturity. We just drifted apart.

Is there any likelihood of both of you reconciling?
Well, I’m not God, I don’t know. But you have four kids, who has the custody of the kids? They are with me.

So, how are you coping with four children all alone?
He does his bit. I mean, it’s just convenient to have the kids with me. If he wants them, he can have them. We teach our children with plenty of love, so it doesn’t matter where they are. They know that mummy loves them, daddy loves them.

How is life as a single parent?
Ah! It’s not easy o! It’s not easy because what you normally do as a single girl, you have to think twice or three times before doing them as a mother of children who are looking up to you. So, it’s not easy.

Why do most actresses go into marriage and find it difficult to make it work?
I do not know about the other actresses. I know that when I got married, I stepped aside from Nollywood in order to make the family work and in the long run, it still didn’t. So, it’s not about actresses. Doctors and lawyers and politicians have marriages that break up every other day. It’s just because we are in the business of show and we are seen. So, every profession has peculiar issues pertaining to marriage. It’s not just us.

If you have an opportunity to reconcile with your husband, what are the things that contributed to the separation that you will not repeat again?
I won’t nag and I expect that he would be more family-like. He has to put his family first and he should be there. He has to be physically there always to make it work.

Do you have any regret about the way the whole thing turned out?
I don’t regret who I married or when I married, but I regret the time I married him. We were both young. Maybe if we had waited for more years before we decided to say I do – we might not have said I do; but if eventually we did, we probably would be a lot more mature.

How old is your eldest child?

How old is the youngest one?

Can you tell us about it?
The first job I did was with Funke Akindele – Majele Ife (Love Portion). Then, I went to Abakaliki and did Dry with Stephanie Okereke and then I came back to Lagos and did a job with Iyabo Ojo. Usually, in the Yoruba industry, there’s a working title. The title you work with might not be the title it’s released with. And then I’ve done a couple of other things with Fathia Balogun. I’ve done like three jobs with her and I’m tabled to do another three with her before the end of the year.

How come you are tilting more towards the Yoruba sector? You started out as an English actress…
Because they were the ones that opened their arms to me when I came back (Laughs). And I speak fluent Yoruba and I had friends among them before I left the industry. So, the comeback, the English sector is a caucus thing. The Yoruba sector is caucus thing as well, but they had their hands opened to me.

Now, that you are back, what are your aspirations?
I have to climb the ladder back up gradually. I hope to do my own movie or movies, if not at the end of this year, then the end of January next year. It’s gonna tilt towards the Yoruba industry because since I came back, I kinda understand the industry. Before I left, I did a Yoruba movie, but I got beaten in the market because I didn’t know the ropes. But now that I’m back, I think I have a clearer understanding of the whole thing.

What didn’t you know about Nollywood before that you just found out?
I’m still learning. There are a lot of things that are different now. So, Nollywood right now is like a whole new school. It wasn’t the way I left it. I mean, those that I left it with are either very high or very far away or had also left like me. So, I’m learning afresh.

http://yesinternationalmagazine.com/actress-vivian-metchie-talks-about-her-failed-marriage-conversion-to-islam-and-return-to-nollywood/
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by AbdH: 6:47am On Dec 25, 2013
tintingz: Reading from the report, she's a divorcee but she can't still pass the message of Islam to her ex-hubby things might work out(getting back together) or marry a muslim brother. wink smiley

May Allah help her.

Oh... my bad. Masha'Allah!
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by vedaxcool(m): 9:43am On Dec 25, 2013
grin truly most Christians wouldn't know how to explain a confusing concept like the Trinity without creating more confusion.

Front page things.
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by LilBRightTMc(m): 5:22pm On Dec 25, 2013
You're looking for peace and you found koran , that's something u don't see everyday undecided
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by tintingz(m): 5:42pm On Dec 25, 2013
vedaxcool: grin truly most Christians wouldn't know how to explain a confusing concept like the Trinity without creating more confusion.

Front page things.
grin grin

1 Like

Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by tintingz(m): 5:44pm On Dec 25, 2013
Lil B®ight™©:
You're looking for peace and you found koran , that's something u don't see everyday undecided
She was confused about christianity beliefs but found the peace of mind in the Quran. smiley

3 Likes

Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by AbdH: 9:44pm On Dec 25, 2013
vedaxcool: grin truly most Christians wouldn't know how to explain a confusing concept like the Trinity without creating more confusion.

Front page things.

..........and Allah cannot be an author of confusion. I read the Bible and I became more convinced of the Qur'an's authenticity. Alhamdulillahi.

2 Likes

Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 25, 2013
Who's she? Never heard of her. And why's she going into yorobawood instead of Nollywood? All this talentless actresses sef.

It won't be long before we hear of alhaji somewhere. Who knows if her ex is really the father of her children.

;P
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by babylolaroy(f): 10:23am On Dec 26, 2013
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by lanrexlan(m): 12:06pm On Dec 26, 2013
Lil B®ight™©:
Yeah,she found it in the Quran.The same inner peace Cat Stevens(Now Yusuf Islam) found when he read the Quran.The same inner peace Mr. Oye F(pastor) now Abdul Rashid Oye found when he read the Quran.Brother you too can find the same inner peace if you read the Quran with an open mind.Be in serenity with creator without a mediator

3 Likes

Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by LilBRightTMc(m): 12:23pm On Dec 26, 2013
lanrexlan: Yeah,she found it in the Quran.The same inner peace Cat Stevens(Now Yusuf Islam) found when he read the Quran.The same inner peace Mr. Oye F(pastor) now Abdul Rashid Oye found when he read the Quran.Brother you too can find the same inner peace if you read the Quran with an open mind.Be in serenity with creator without a mediator
Firstly I don't read/understand Arabic Secondly I'm in all ways pleased with the Bible, thanks for your....offer
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by LilBRightTMc(m): 12:24pm On Dec 26, 2013
lanrexlan: Yeah,she found it in the Quran.The same inner peace Cat Stevens(Now Yusuf Islam) found when he read the Quran.The same inner peace Mr. Oye F(pastor) now Abdul Rashid Oye found when he read the Quran.Brother you too can find the same inner peace if you read the Quran with an open mind.Be in serenity with creator without a mediator
Firstly I don't read/understand Arabic Secondly I'm in all ways pleased with the Bible, thanks for your offer
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by harbiola1(m): 2:14pm On Dec 26, 2013
Phoenix619: Who's she? Never heard of her. And why's she going into yorobawood instead of Nollywood? All this talentless actresses sef.

It won't be long before we hear of alhaji somewhere. Who knows if her ex is really the father of her children.

;P
Haba, all this just because she left christianity. I believe ur faith talks about civility, then how come u're like this?

1 Like

Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by harbiola1(m): 2:21pm On Dec 26, 2013
Lil B®ight™©:
Firstly I don't read/understand Arabic Secondly I'm in all ways pleased with the Bible, thanks for your offer
I don't think u understand Hebrew/Greek but u do read Bible, isn't it?
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by Mintayo(m): 2:56pm On Dec 26, 2013
AbdH:

..........and Allah cannot be an author of confusion. I read the Bible and I became more convinced of the Qur'an's authenticity. Alhamdulillahi.
Same thing with me,I read d quran,studied islam,came back to the Bible,and I am more convinced that,Jesus is the way,and Christainity(being like christ) is autenthic,nothing confusing.cheesy
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by lanrexlan(m): 4:52pm On Dec 26, 2013
Mintayo:
Same thing with me,I read d quran,studied islam,came back to the Bible,and I am more convinced that,Jesus is the way,and Christainity(being like christ) is autenthic,nothing confusing.cheesy
Christ like? Christ prostrated himself in prayers,he never dance kurukere and Azonto in church.Christ believed and worshipped one God,he never believe in a three-faced diety.So where's your christ-like? You are Christ worshipper and not christ follower.

2 Likes

Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by WHees(m): 5:20pm On Dec 26, 2013
lanrexlan: Christ like? Christ prostrated himself in prayers,he never dance kurukere and Azonto in church.Christ believed and worshipped one God,he never believe in a three-faced diety.So where's your christ-like? You are Christ worshipper and not christ follower.

Lol! It has been long since I saw the choir stunts warming up for evening devotion organised by their daddy, what I saw shocked me, the ladies on that program wore a uniform incribed with "kerewa for christ" and they shake like there is no morrow. With the above I think the band is evolving.
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by Mintayo(m): 5:47pm On Dec 26, 2013
lanrexlan: Christ like? Christ prostrated himself in prayers,he never dance kurukere and Azonto in church.Christ believed and worshipped one God,he never believe in a three-faced diety.So where's your christ-like? You are Christ worshipper and not christ follower.
Abeg,talk something new Jawe and stop this ur ignorance.
And YES,I WORSHIP JESUS,go figure...He is the Lord over all,and soon every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord.
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by lanrexlan(m): 5:50pm On Dec 26, 2013
Mintayo:
Abeg,talk something new Jawe and stop this ur ignorance.
And YES,I WORSHIP JESUS,go figure...He is the Lord over all,and soon every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord.
You are the ignorant one here,a chronic liar.You said you read the Quran and study Islam and made your faith stronger in christianity.Where in the Quran does it says you should worship 'Jesus'? Why lying? How does the Quran strengthening your faith then? You never read the Quran,stop bragging here.Go sleep,apostle Paul follower.
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by lanrexlan(m): 5:55pm On Dec 26, 2013
WHξξ∟s:

Lol! It has been long since I saw the choir stunts warming up for evening devotion organised by their daddy,what I saw shocked me, the ladies on that program wore a uniform incribed with "kerewa for christ" and they shake like there is no morrow. With the above I think the band is evolving.
grin grin grin their daddy,you will hear Skelewu for christ and you will see ladies with mini-skirts dancing infront of the pastor and the congregation.Christians will say ''My heart is clean and there's nothing in watching female shaking her bum-bum and live bossom''.The thing has already evolved,they are dancing any style in churches today.
Re: "Why I Converted To Islam' - Former Actress Vivian Metchie Opens Up by Mintayo(m): 5:59pm On Dec 26, 2013
lanrexlan: You are the ignorant one here,a chronic liar.You said you read the Quran and study Islam and made your faith stronger in christianity.Where in the Quran does it says you should worship 'Jesus'? Why lying? How does the Quran strengthening your faith then? You never read the Quran,stop bragging here.Go sleep,apostle Paul follower.
Heheheheh,maybe u shld go back to my post again and read it slowly.Lol.
I didnt say The Quran say u shld worship Jesus,Lol.
Its like reading d two books and still convinced that Christainity- the believe in Jesus and accepting Him into ur life as ur Lord and savior is the way.
I dnt wana go into my discovery,it will be too much for u.
And let me tell you,I am a follower of Paul...:p-did it shock u?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Quranic Arabic Season 1 / Mut'ah / Etiquettes Of Jum'at

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.