Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,908 members, 7,828,189 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:21 AM

What Can I Plant?? - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / What Can I Plant?? (3005 Views)

Otedola, El-Rufai In Tanzania As Dangote Launches Cement Plant (Photos) / Investment Cost Of Stone Quarry Crushing Plant In Nigeria / Feasibility Report On Carbon Steel Pipes Production Plant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can I Plant?? by Daniel058(m): 9:54pm On Dec 25, 2013
Dear great Nairalanders,i just bought a new WATER PUMP,please can any one advice me on the best cross/vegetables to plant. I have enough water, coz there is a DAM HERE..the pipe can stretch up to 150feet. Please drop urs piece of advice here . :-D :-D :-D
Re: What Can I Plant?? by Afrocatalyst: 9:58pm On Dec 25, 2013
Does it have to be vegetables? Can you plant trees?
If yes,go for lemon trees. Target 70 trees and above. It might take years to start bearing fruit bt it's a sure investment cos lemon is scarce and expensive and very very useful.
I already have over a 100 trees above six months. If you need you can reach me on 08073122596.
Re: What Can I Plant?? by Daniel058(m): 10:04pm On Dec 25, 2013
Afrocatalyst: Does it have to be vegetables? Can you plant trees?
any crop or tree i can taste it's fruit between 3 and 6 months,that's Ok by me. :-D

1 Like

Re: What Can I Plant?? by Afrocatalyst: 10:08pm On Dec 25, 2013
Daniel058 :
any crop or tree i can taste it's fruit between 3 and 6 months,that's Ok by me. :-D
sorry to say this but it's goin to be easier for a carmel to pass through a needle's eye than for you to make it in farming with that quick fix mentality. Gdluck anyway.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Plant?? by Daniel058(m): 10:13pm On Dec 25, 2013
Afrocatalyst:
sorry to say this but it's goin to be easier for a carmel to pass through a needle's eye than for you to make it in farming with that quick fix mentality. Gdluck anyway.
Don't say that bro,am considering some crops like, water melon,ugu vegetable,egusi etc. But still need advice. ok? :-D :-D
Re: What Can I Plant?? by olushowunm(m): 12:12am On Dec 26, 2013
Op.... Where r u located ? How many acres do u have ? Let's go into partnership...
Re: What Can I Plant?? by anienge001: 1:09am On Dec 26, 2013
OP, go for ugwu vegetable depending on your location.
Re: What Can I Plant?? by Daniel058(m): 3:11pm On Dec 26, 2013
olushowunm: Op.... Where r u located ? How many acres do u have ? Let's go into partnership...
south eastern>EBONYI STATE.
Re: What Can I Plant?? by Daniel058(m): 3:16pm On Dec 26, 2013
anienge001: OP, go for ugwu vegetable depending on your location.
THANKS @anienge001 (y) :-D
Re: What Can I Plant?? by yemmit90: 4:13pm On Dec 26, 2013
anienge001: OP, go for ugwu vegetable depending on your location.

Hmmm, did I hear you saying Ugwu/vegetables? You guys are playing with poverty!

@op, since you actually wants a quick returns on your investment, I will advise you go for the Maize. Between 2-3months, you harvest and make your money.
Re: What Can I Plant?? by anienge001: 4:32pm On Dec 26, 2013
yemmit90:

@op, since you actually wants a quick returns on your investment, I will advise you go for the Maize. Between 2-3months, you harvest and make your money.

Can you please explain the bold part?

IMO, there is no "one silver bullet" to breaking even in business. Maize with 3-months maturity, or vegetable(ugwu,okra, tomato) that start yielding in 2 months and continues through the year. Nigerians should learn to have a flexible mind set and view things from different standpoints.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Plant?? by Daniel058(m): 7:35pm On Dec 26, 2013
yemmit90:

thanks @yemmit90 (y)
Re: What Can I Plant?? by Daniel058(m): 7:43pm On Dec 26, 2013
I planted almost 6,000 seeds of maize this year,and have myself blamed...i applied fertilizer,weed on time,yet no good harvest..
Re: What Can I Plant?? by Daniel058(m): 7:45pm On Dec 26, 2013
There are too many things that involve in maize planting which people don't know,..
Re: What Can I Plant?? by olushowunm(m): 11:58am On Dec 27, 2013
@OP... There is no holy grail in farming! Ugwu is a money spinner but Ewedu has more potential for me because i deal in it. For maize, if you claim you have irrigation, then maize is good for this season, find the one that gives double ears, plant at 0.5 x 0.6 m spacing with two seeds per hole. On one hectare, you will have about 60,000 maize plant. Note before planting, add chicken manure to the field and plough. Then plant the maize according to the specification, you should have 100,000 cobs and selling it at N10/one. You should get N1M.. But on worst case, you should get N500k selling it fresh. Then you can intercrop with cassava or water melon. or even ugwu which will increase productivity per hectare.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Plant?? by Daniel058(m): 1:08pm On Dec 27, 2013
olushowunm: @OP... There is no holy grail in farming! Ugwu is a money spinner but Ewedu has more potential for me because i deal in it. For maize, if you claim you have irrigation, then maize is good for this season, find the one that gives double ears, plant at 0.5 x 0.6 m spacing with two seeds per hole. On one hectare, you will have about 60,000 maize plant. Note before planting, add chicken manure to the field and plough. Then plant the maize according to the specification, you should have 100,000 cobs and selling it at N10/one. You should get N1M.. But on worst case, you should get N500k selling it fresh. Then you can intercrop with cassava or water melon. or even ugwu which will increase productivity per hectare.
make sense buddy... :-D <3
Re: What Can I Plant?? by yemmit90: 11:12pm On Dec 27, 2013
anienge001:

Can you please explain the bold part?

IMO, there is no "one silver bullet" to breaking even in business. Maize with 3-months maturity, or vegetable(ugwu,okra, tomato) that start yielding in 2 months and continues through the year. Nigerians should learn to have a flexible mind set and view things from different standpoints.

See guy, I'm not saying Ugwu, Ewedu or whatever you called it are not good, I'm only concerned with the profit margin especially if you're to sell to the market women who would also re-sell it to the final consumers. Contrary to your view, some businesses has a big prospect while
some cannot take you beyond living form hand to mouth.

How much do you think you can make from a single bed of vegetable? Do you have a storage facility to preserve your veg? How do you sell your veg? Unlike Maize,Plantain,cassava etc, can you boast of making 1M in a veg farm at once?

Not that I'm against your opinion my brother but seriously if you want to make it big in life, your thinking should be bigger than this vegetable of a thing.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Plant?? by olushowunm(m): 12:05am On Dec 28, 2013
Yemmite, its clear you are not a farmer...
Re: What Can I Plant?? by yemmit90: 2:51pm On Dec 28, 2013
olushowunm: Yemmite, its clear you are not a farmer...

Please address the questions in the second paragraph of my previous post.

Besides, what makes you believe I'm not a farmer?

Instead of you to base your reason on fact and learn from my response to it, you just jumped into conclusion thinking I would just click/comment in this kind of thread if I had notting to do with it.

Until you're able give me a genuine reason you think you can make it in those stuffs, I will say it again, you guys are romancing poverty.
Re: What Can I Plant?? by yemmit90: 4:01pm On Dec 28, 2013
And let me add to my posts, farming in this country requires a lot of techniques and wisdom for you to be successful. You don't just go into it thinking you will make it big by gradual process, this is why you see those farmers in the villages who has been in the business for over 20years still dwelling in poverty.

Before you go into farming(even before you think of land), there are a lot of things you must put into consideration in order not to waste your time, effort and money.

1. Weather and Climate.

2. Market value of the plant.

3. Durability of such plant after harvest.

4. Can it be process or add value to.

5. Is there any standard measurement for harvest plant in the market.

6. Can I market it myself without the help of those thieves that called themselves buyers.

If you're able to score at least 80% in the above points, then you can make it big in farming.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Plant?? by Daniel058(m): 8:24pm On Dec 28, 2013
THANKS @Annienge001 @ yemmit90 AND olushowunm ,i appriciate all your coments.
Re: What Can I Plant?? by bfmconcepts: 10:38am On Jan 03, 2014
yemmit90:
See guy, I'm not saying Ugwu, Ewedu or whatever you called it are not good, I'm only concerned with the profit margin especially if you're to sell to the market women who would also re-sell it to the final consumers. Contrary to your view, some businesses has a big prospect while
some cannot take you beyond living form hand to mouth.
How much do you think you can make from a single bed of vegetable? Do you have a storage facility to preserve your veg? How do you sell your veg? Unlike Maize,Plantain,cassava etc, can you boast of making 1M in a veg farm at once?
Not that I'm against your opinion my brother but seriously if you want to make it big in life, your thinking should be bigger than this vegetable of a thing.

@yemmit has a good point, vegetables does not give much profit
but @yemmit, should realize that farmer should not be idle, but should concentrate on what gives him better returns

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Business Can One Do With #500k In Abuja / Is Forex Trading Really Dangerous? / Nigerians Excited As MMM Returns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.