Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,992 members, 7,814,389 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:08 PM

Don't Put Me Down Because Of It, I Didn't Have A Say! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Don't Put Me Down Because Of It, I Didn't Have A Say! (1001 Views)

They Came Out Of The Room Sweating, But She Said They Didn't Have Sex! / He Hit Me, He Regrets It, I Deserved It / Do Mothers-In-law Have A Say In Wedding Preparation? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Don't Put Me Down Because Of It, I Didn't Have A Say! by PassingShot(m): 6:14am On Dec 26, 2013
I find this write-up funny and at the same time very truthful. It's about the facial marks which used to be trendy some years back in Africa and particularly in Nigeria. My curiosity now is to know how prevalent is this practice in our society of nowadays given the fact that it has officially been abrogated. Dear Nairalanders, especially those with facial (tribal marks), please let us know how you feel about those marks inscribed on your face when you knew nothing about it. I mean:
1. Do you hold anything against those responsible for it?
2. Did you ask questions why they did it?
3. How much of your confidence has been eroded by the marks?
4. Have you been discriminated against because of it?
5. Would you attempt to take it off if you have the chance?

Enjoy the piece:

Over the time, I have come to live above all the ohs!, ahs! and whys! that greet me on any first meeting with a human specie from another continent different from mine.

Their first reaction usually comes along with probing questions like ‘what happen to you on your face?’; ‘Did you meet with an accident?’; ‘Were you abused by someone?’; ‘Are they marks of punishment for being an arrant child?’ I mean they ask all sort of questions!

Meanwhile, I have learnt to deal with these questions as they throw them…to those friendly among them, I’ve taken out time to explain the reasons with courtesy. To those with contemptuous gaze, agape mouth and rolling eyes , I have shunned and stood against with pride and confidence.

Continue reading here http://rovingscribe./author/omoibadan/
Re: Don't Put Me Down Because Of It, I Didn't Have A Say! by PassingShot(m): 6:43am On Dec 26, 2013
And to those who do not have tribal marks:

1. What impression do you have of people with these mark?
2. Do you treat them with some scorn?
3. Can you marry or date people with facial marks provided other things are in place?

Let's have fun!
Re: Don't Put Me Down Because Of It, I Didn't Have A Say! by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 26, 2013
d characters dat matters to me...phuk tribal marks.....though its dere..but if dere is love...u would look beyond wat u see....
Re: Don't Put Me Down Because Of It, I Didn't Have A Say! by PassingShot(m): 7:24am On Dec 26, 2013
patrickdarlins: d characters dat matters to me...phuk tribal marks.....though its dere..but if dere is love...u would look beyond wat u see....
Nice to hear that. but don't you really have any first impression about ladies with tribal marks? At least you will need to get closer with her to know her other characters.
Re: Don't Put Me Down Because Of It, I Didn't Have A Say! by Woged2005(f): 7:49am On Dec 26, 2013
Passing Shot:
Nice to hear that. but don't you really have any first impression about ladies with tribal marks? At least you will need to get closer with her to know her other characters.

I read in history books that Africans used tribal marks to distinguish members of their tribes during tribal wars, and to avoid kidnapping their own during reprisals, otherwise there will be 'friendly fires'. Very few (the tiny ones on the chest, back, cheek, etc) were usually protective charms against whatever the families feared such as epidemic, witches/gizzards, body harms, spiritual attacks, etc. Since there are no more tribal wars, the practice should stop. But without offense to those who have it, how far apart are tribal marks from excessive tattoos/ body piercing especially the ones visible to everyone? Maybe bc tribal marks are adjudged African, as usual it's called disgusting, while excessive tattoos/ body piercing are not?

Be proud of whom you are especially if you can't change it, and feel proud to explain to curious people who may have questions about what they don't understand about you.
Re: Don't Put Me Down Because Of It, I Didn't Have A Say! by PassingShot(m): 8:30am On Dec 26, 2013
Woged2005:

I read in history books that Africans used tribal marks to distinguish members of their tribes during tribal wars, and to avoid kidnapping their own during reprisals, otherwise there will be 'friendly fires'. Very few (the tiny ones on the chest, back, cheek, etc) were usually protective charms against whatever the families feared such as epidemic, witches/gizzards, body harms, spiritual attacks, etc. Since there are no more tribal wars, the practice should stop. But without offense to those who have it, how far apart are tribal marks from excessive tattoos/ body piercing especially the ones visible to everyone? Maybe bc tribal marks are adjudged African, as usual it's called disgusting, while excessive tattoos/ body piercing are not?

Be proud of whom you are especially if you can't change it, and feel proud to explain to curious people who may have questions about what they don't understand about you.

Thanks but I would like to know your answers to the questions.
Re: Don't Put Me Down Because Of It, I Didn't Have A Say! by Nobody: 10:37am On Dec 26, 2013
Passing Shot: And to those who do not have tribal marks:

1. What impression do you have of people with these mark?

Truthfully speaking?it makes me picture a fetish background.

2. Do you treat them with some scorn?

Not at all,it makes no difference to their personality.

3. Can you marry or date people with facial marks provided other things are in place?

Yes,it's not hereditary.
Let's have fun!
Re: Don't Put Me Down Because Of It, I Didn't Have A Say! by Temismith(f): 11:07am On Dec 26, 2013
Hmmm, i donno
Re: Don't Put Me Down Because Of It, I Didn't Have A Say! by Nobody: 11:13am On Dec 26, 2013
Of all tinz to be thinking abt in dis lyf, na tribal mark I go come begin to scorn person on top of undecided
Re: Don't Put Me Down Because Of It, I Didn't Have A Say! by PassingShot(m): 11:31am On Dec 26, 2013
alutacontinua: Of all tinz to be thinking abt in dis lyf, na tribal mark I go come begin to scorn person on top of undecided

Good. but you don't doubt that many of us scorn people with tribal marks.
Re: Don't Put Me Down Because Of It, I Didn't Have A Say! by PassingShot(m): 1:19pm On Dec 26, 2013
Dear Mod, can you please move this to fp. I need more opinions for a purpose. Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

Please Recommend Good Websites That Deliver Flowers To Doorstep. / Marriedfolks,how Do U Silence A Crying Baby / Are Girls More Cooler Than Boys? Or Vice Versa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.