Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,155 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:38 AM

Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws (1523 Views)

How Often Do You Communicate With Your Parent-inlaws? / Is It Appropriate? See What Nollywood Actress Is Doing To Her 1-yr-old Baby Girl / Is It Appropriate To Integrate Sexual Educ Into Informal Education For Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by solacec4t(f): 12:29pm On Dec 26, 2013
Dear NLanders,

please is it appropriate to buy gifts for your future parent inlaws when going to see them for the first time?

please i need to know your views.

thanks.
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by bellong: 12:34pm On Dec 26, 2013
Ask your fiance, he knows his parents better.

There is no right or wrong answer to your question, only depends on the future-in-law in question.

Your fiance is in the best position to answer you..
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by solacec4t(f): 12:37pm On Dec 26, 2013
I asked him and he said its not necessary.

some of my friends think i should get them something because of the season we r in
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by krugar07(m): 12:38pm On Dec 26, 2013
it shuldnt be you worrying about that.
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by Taiwo20(m): 12:48pm On Dec 26, 2013
You need not worry about that. However, the are potential in-laws and not yet in-laws so if you decide to buy, it would become a tradition and if after your wedding you stop buying it would look somehow.
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by solacec4t(f): 12:48pm On Dec 26, 2013
ok, i wil not make it my problem.

tnx a mil
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by Nobody: 2:09pm On Dec 26, 2013
Everybody appreciates gifts
It doesn't have to be something big
The thought counts more than the actual gift so yes,get them something
It will be very well received
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by Nobody: 2:11pm On Dec 26, 2013
Taiwo20: You need not worry about that. However, the are potential in-laws and not yet in-laws so if you decide to buy, it would become a tradition and if after your wedding you stop buying it would look somehow.

Just like I never go to see my parents empty handed,I don't go to see my MIL empty handed too.
It is proper to get them gifts
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by Nobody: 2:19pm On Dec 26, 2013
Not bad,get them something,no matter how small. To make it special,get it without your fiancé's knowledge,and present it to them. Little things count.
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by funmi4love(f): 2:21pm On Dec 26, 2013
Taiwo20: You need not worry about that. However, the are potential in-laws and not yet in-laws so if you decide to buy, it would become a tradition and if after your wedding you stop buying it would look somehow.
is gud but if u nw stop it bcomes a prblm so u can just get dem a gift u knw u would b able 2 avoid continually
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by Nobody: 2:36pm On Dec 26, 2013
I always do, if your son don't end up popping the question , it's his loss. No yawa.

OP everybody like and appreciate gifts, so yes I don't see why not?
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 26, 2013
Don't start what you can't finish,they are not your in laws yet.If she is a Nigerian living in naija,note that most do not appreciate small gifts.
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by Deefuray(f): 3:06pm On Dec 26, 2013
I'll advice you buy fruits. You dnt want 2 buy something ur future parent in law will not use or better still if u insist on getting something else ask him wat his parents would appreciate. Pls make sure it is something u can afford
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by Kanwulia: 4:02pm On Dec 26, 2013
Absolutely!
Just make sure you continue after THE MARRIAGE!

Be consistent. . . it shows you are genuine! kiss

1 Like

Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by solacec4t(f): 4:05pm On Dec 26, 2013
Thank you all for ur words

I love giving gifts to people, it gives me joy doing that.
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by Hibiscuss(m): 4:57pm On Dec 26, 2013
A bottle of wine for the father and a cute slippers for the mum. Not necessary but i think people appreciate little gift. wink
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by Nobody: 6:06pm On Dec 26, 2013
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by Nobody: 6:12pm On Dec 26, 2013
solace-c4t:
Dear NLanders,

please is it appropriate to buy gifts for your future parent inlaws when going to see them for the first time?

please i need to know your views.

thanks.

Buying gifts for them is a very nice gesture and they will surely apprciate it.

But don't start something you can't finish . . .

If you are not planning on being genorus with them in the future, then don't bother. First impressions matter . . . . Your actions on that first day will be used to judge you for loooong time.

Don't make them think you bought the gifts just to gain their approval . . .
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 26, 2013
Very good to buy gifts. After the wedding, you can lock up. Nothing dey happen cheesy
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by greatgod2012(f): 9:42pm On Dec 26, 2013
What is yur REAL intention of getting them the gift, is it for them to approve/accept you or because it's part of you to give gifts. If it's the former, don't bother buying it, because it will definitely backfire later in the future, but if it's part of you, it means the gesture will continue after your marriage without any stringe attached, then, it's ok.

Season's Greetings.

1 Like

Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by Nobody: 5:45am On Dec 27, 2013
Your fiance says it's not necessary and I totally agree with that. Go as you are. Let them meet you just as you are.

1 Like

Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by Nobody: 7:09am On Dec 27, 2013
I wouldn't buy.
Ur man told u not to. He has his reasons and he knows his parents more than u.
Its not even debatable.

I wonder why u brought it up for discussion abi u wanna defy ur guy.

Rule 1 for any intended: follow d laid down rules by ur patner concerning his or her peeps till u become a member of the family and can observe and analyse their behaviours urself, then u can act independently.

2 Likes

Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by deols(f): 7:30am On Dec 27, 2013
I won't buy either. It is your first time.

They should be the ones giving you gifts.

After the first time, when they have accepted you, You can start giving gifts. Even at that time, I'd rather the siblings than the parents.

After marriage, they become your parents and is when it becomes a 'duty'
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by krugar07(m): 8:07am On Dec 27, 2013
deols: I won't buy either. It is your first time.

They should be the ones giving you gifts.

After the first time, when they have accepted you, You can start giving gifts. Even at that time, I'd rather the siblings than the parents.

After marriage, they become your parents and is when it becomes a 'duty'
exactly
Re: Is It appropriate To Buy Gifts For Your Future Parent Inlaws by Nobody: 10:13am On Dec 27, 2013

(1) (Reply)

Angry Nigerian Rants On Facebook About Homework Given 2 Her 5-yr-old Niece(pic) / How I Potty Trained My Daughter In 10 Days / I Will Just Drop This Here(misogynists Beware)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.