Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:29 AM

Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles (18167 Views)

How Nigerian Government Imposed "Illegal" Electricity Tariff On Nigerians / Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination / Reps Urge CBN To Return Bailout Money To Treasury (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by israel007: 4:05pm On Dec 26, 2013
The House of Representatives has urged the Federal Ministry of Finance to suspend the planned increase of import duty on used and new vehicles.

The resolution emanated from a motion moved by Rep. Nathaniel Agunbiade (APC-Osun), which was adopted without debate.

According to Agunbiade, the planned 70 per cent tariff will have a multiplier effect of 250 per cent increase on the value of the affected items, adding that it will definitely lead to higher prices of vehicles.

He noted that although Jan. 2014 had been set for the commencement of the policy, none of the assembly plants the policy sought to protect would have started production in the country.

The legislator stressed that care must be taken not to bring too much pain on Nigerians, adding that the policy might encourage smuggling through the land borders.

The Federal Government had on Nov. 25, announced the planned increase of the import duty on used and new vehicles from the current 20 per cent to 70 per cent.

The Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, recently directed that imported, fully-built unit cars shall now attract 35 per cent duty and 35 per cent levy, totaling 70 per cent charges for both new and fairly-used vehicles.

Meanwhile, the 2014 budget would be presented to the House on Thursday by Okonjo-Iweala.

This is contained in a letter sent to the House and read by the Speaker, Alhaji Aminu Tambuwal, after an executive session.

The presentation of the budget by President Goodluck Jonathan had been postponed twice.

http://www.punchng.com/news/reps-urge-fg-to-suspend-new-tariff-on-used-vehicles/

19 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by dejt4u(m): 5:10pm On Dec 26, 2013
That is a good move by d reps

4 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by 234GT(m): 6:38pm On Dec 26, 2013
Abeg make them postpone am o.
I still dey gather money for my first car!

17 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by damyde(m): 3:25am On Dec 27, 2013
Rightly said..... Why protect d interest of a car assembly plant dat is yet to assemble dier first car here. Car smuggling will so bcom d order of d day!!!

3 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by HOTARIO(m): 5:29am On Dec 27, 2013
FG should do a little more research on how things are done to for the benefit of the people:. Iran a case study

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_Iran

4 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by israel007: 7:30am On Dec 27, 2013
They should just scratch it. Policy is too unfriendly.

Shocks me when I read people here say this is good for us now as it would create jobs. 'Tokumbo' car saless generate more jobs. How many people would be selling the small qty of cars they would assemble? How many people would th plants employ? Better still: how mmany illiterates would be employ.

This policy is just not it. May be good but its not coming at the right time

10 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by israel007: 2:04pm On Dec 27, 2013
^

What did he write
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by s3nn2x(m): 3:34pm On Dec 27, 2013
Okay k
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by Lilimax(f): 3:35pm On Dec 27, 2013
A right move?

Cotonou things on my mind grin
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by olisa1010: 3:35pm On Dec 27, 2013
Again...brainless FG.
Good work rep.
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by Nobody: 3:36pm On Dec 27, 2013
Who are those in GEJ's cabinet giving him advice that are injurious to the masses?

8 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by princesoft6(m): 3:37pm On Dec 27, 2013
Ok naa.
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by jonescyras(m): 3:38pm On Dec 27, 2013
RULE OF LAW is dead!
Hypocrites I call nigeria lawmakers!
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by 4Play(m): 3:42pm On Dec 27, 2013
israel007: They should just scratch it. Policy is too unfriendly.

Shocks me when I read people here say this is good for us now as it would create jobs. 'Tokumbo' car saless generate more jobs. How many people would be selling the small qty of cars they would assemble? How many people would th plants employ? Better still: how mmany illiterates would be employ.

It's a daft import substitution policy, i.e, trying to replace an imported product with a domestically produced product by making access to the former more difficult. It will only benefit a few rentiers who start car assembly plants in Nigeria or highly connected importers that circumvent the tariffs. In return, the rest of Nigeria gets overly expensive cars.

Nigeria has not reached the economic level where its car plants can compete with foreign car plants on price or efficiency. These sort of polices work where there is a genuine prospect that the cossetted Nigerian car manufacturers can make significant inroads in the automobile market abroad via exports from Nigeria. If you simply put up prices where you have no chance of becoming export competitive, you get a captive domestic market that simply pays higher prices whilst the country gets nothing in return by way of higher exports.

10 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by crystalballs: 3:43pm On Dec 27, 2013
good move by the reps.

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by cold(m): 3:43pm On Dec 27, 2013
israel007: They should just scratch it. Policy is too unfriendly.

The tariff introduction should be gradual but not scrapped in its entirety. We can't continue to think of the pain in the short run,rather the benefits in the long term. That's how those countries we so much love to buy their used cars from got to where the are today

8 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by oye9ja(m): 3:44pm On Dec 27, 2013
Watever, cotonu tins[color=#006600][/color]

2 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by koboko69: 3:47pm On Dec 27, 2013
As usual..mr president and corruption ladden okonjo have been cautioned against anti masses policy by APC. The witch is always bent on giving us wicked new yr gifts. Structures were not yet on ground before this wicked move.....thank God for the progressive reps.

When the atmosphere is condusive and the policy finaly starts paying off...i hope the FG will be able to monitor the production of the home made cars unlike our own telecommunications in Nigeria that is a total sham which the FG is doing nothing about it....they cant even monitor the activities of dstv exploiting us. Whats the point buying a brand new car that a tokunbo will last longer than? I remember the way banks and companies rushed KIA when they started comming into Nigeria. Now..they are all back to toyota and the likes.....

12 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by oye9ja(m): 3:47pm On Dec 27, 2013
Segeggs: Who are those in GEJ's cabinet giving him advice that are injurious to the masses?
Why wud u conclude its a bad idea or advice, and mr man, its not jonathan's idea, its a bill...do you even know what a bill is?

2 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by Nobody: 3:48pm On Dec 27, 2013
My spirit has never accepted this new tariff move even though it will improve local manufacturing.

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by Eddygourdo(m): 3:48pm On Dec 27, 2013
for a failed nation like ours I don't bother with bans. all talk. go through our markets banned items are sold openly. they are only attempting to generate more avenues for exploitation of the masses by our law enforcement agencies

2 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by zeezboy(m): 3:49pm On Dec 27, 2013
FG abeg oh! 2014 i must get my 4leg oh!

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by waterhouse071(m): 3:49pm On Dec 27, 2013
Only policies that add to the misery of common man get fully implemented in Nigeria. But constant power supply, good roads, good health care, zero tolerance for corruption are difficult to get quick implementation. GOD is watching.

14 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by patriotic007: 3:49pm On Dec 27, 2013
We keep on using unemployment as a political tool to fight the ruling administration,but when a policy that will tend to end or reduce unemployment is formulated,we fight against it with all our might,.....As for me any policy that will encourage industries and create employment is a welcome developement,....AND PLEASE ANY PARTY COMING TO ASK FOR VOTES SHOULD NOT JUST TELL US THAT IT WILL END UNEMPLOYENT,....IT SHOULD ALSO TELL US HOW

8 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by coolestboy(m): 3:52pm On Dec 27, 2013
This house of reps are becoming active oo... Could dt be attached to d strength of APC?

3 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:56pm On Dec 27, 2013
As they v postponed the increment, they should pls reduce the levy to 40% so that it ll still not be too difficult.
70% is still too much.
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by sammyyoung2(m): 3:58pm On Dec 27, 2013
grin
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by johnwell(m): 4:00pm On Dec 27, 2013
... that smilling-mantis of a president with that his fisherman's cap does not even know what leadership is all about.
How a hell can he adopt such clueless policy? the worst of all, he'll be presenting it smilling like mugu. Am just tired of this asorock furniture of a clown.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by goingsolo: 4:03pm On Dec 27, 2013
this rep people should respect them....the tarrif most be impose GEJ no going back...happy boxing day

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Many Dead As Insurgents Assail Security Formations In Damaturu / Obaseki To Ex-Governor: Edo State money is for Development, not for individuals / UK Receives £90bn Stolen Funds From Nigeria, African Countries Yearly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.