Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,294 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:06 AM

Catfish business analysis - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Catfish business analysis (7780 Views)

Packaged Dried Catfish Business. Is It Profitable? / Catfish Business: My Experience, Challenges And Possibly Feeding Solution / Catfish Business: How Lucrative? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 10:30pm On Dec 26, 2013
Why do we keep getting thirsty in the midst of many waters?
A question I keep asking myself. Now, the year 2013 has ended, do I keep sitting at home for the next one year, capital NO.
Fish supply has never completely met people’s demand, many rushed into the business and will continue to rush out until they realize the money making techniques behind the CATFISH business. For my fellow nairalanders, Simply put. HOW DO WE MAKE MONEY FROM CATFISH BUSINESS 2014. To be continued……
Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 10:34pm On Dec 26, 2013
Catfish farming/business is not Rocket Science. ANYBODY CAN GO INTO CATFISH BUSINESS. Many has asked me and continued to ask this question, How much CAPITAL do I need to start catfish business. But here on this thread, I will be able to put us through several methods to achieving success in the business with or without capital in year 2014. For business minded and enthusiastic nairalanders with virtually nothing to start with, I will share a past experience with you.
I met a nairalander sometimes ago online who resides in Abuja, we became friends, after some months someone I once consulted for called me from Ibadan that he has about 2000 table-size catfish of about 0.8mg to 1kg to sell at #480 after which I called my friend to get me buyers urgently from Abuja because catfish is scarce and costly over there. He got a buyer and we negotiated for #550 per kilo. He came to Ibadan with his truck, we conducted business, collected cash and I paid the sellers and had a profit of #140000 which was shared 60/40% with my friend. That was the beginning, How did I multiply my share? to be continued……..
Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 11:03am On Dec 27, 2013
Why do people keep running at loss and eventually closing down the catfish business? The reason is not far-fetched; most people believe reading articles, manuals books on “How to start fish farming” will make tem successful in the business, that’s a capital NO. There are various technicalities which are known majorly by the fisheries extensionist, consultants and those that practice fish farming. It’s indeed a great priviledge reading this because from now on, I will open your eyes to the various technicalities, business approach towards Catfish farming. There are various businesses I will be writing in detailed about the catfish business.

CATFISH SMOKING
One of the easiest and most lucrative part of catfish business is smoking which can be sold locally or through some links internationally (you will have to contact me personally as regards the international exportation).
Step by Step Approach
1. Buy fresh catfishes of different size about 30, out of which 15 would be big and 15 small. For calculative reasons, lets say 15 big for #420 = #6300, 15 small for #350 = #5250. Total = #11550.
2. Clean the fishes with a soaked towel, then remove the intestines, some fins and the gills.
3. Wash in clean water separating the big fishes from the small ones
4. Get a bucket and pour 20cups of water depending on the total number of fishes with about 20 table spoon of salt. It is called Brining to remove blood, dirts and to add saltiness to the fish. The fishes are soaked for 15 – 20 minutes.
5. Remove fish from brine and rinse with water.
6. Get an oiled smoker rack and place the fishes side down on the oiled smoker rack.
7. Increase heat following the first 2hours to around 200hours until the fish is flaky as well as cooked.
8. Wrap when it is cooled.

COST IMPLICATION
Cost for 15 big fish = #6300
Cost for 15 small fish = #5250
Salt = #30
Oil and miscellaneous = #1300
TOTAL = #12880
In Abeokuta, smoke fish sells between #550 - #900 or more, if sold on average of #800. SELLING PRICE = #800 * 30fishes = #24000
Profit = #24000 - # 12880 = #11120. Highly profitable for 30 fishes.
NOTE: You can contact me for fabricated smoking kilns through my email.
To be continued……….
Questions are entertained

1 Like

Re: Catfish business analysis by ruxton06(m): 11:10am On Dec 27, 2013
@op, nice post.
I do have some questions.
Pls is your location Abeokuta?
Is there a ready market for the smoked fish?
How much does your smoking kiln cost?
Thanks.
Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 11:54am On Dec 27, 2013
ruxton06: @op, nice post.
I do have some questions.
Pls is your location Abeokuta?
Is there a ready market for the smoked fish?
How much does your smoking kiln cost?
Thanks.
Thanks. Firstly, i was in abeokuta last month, but now in Ibadan consulting for a fish farm, Smoking kiln that would contain 200 fishes in a batch would cost 28k to 33k, but i could as well advise you on how to reduce cost by getting a welder to construct one with a cheaper price, i also helped a friend to convert his condemned fridge to a smoking kiln. About the marketing part, there are ready made markets in various places even in abeokuta, it is a city with most institutions in the country, it all depends on your packaging plan but a feasibility study must be worked on even in abeokuta markets, kuto and the likes. You can follow my thread to get better understanding about the business.
Re: Catfish business analysis by IRIENBOY(m): 1:56pm On Dec 27, 2013
A
Re: Catfish business analysis by boluwajokosegun: 3:21pm On Dec 27, 2013
Good one considering the fact that Fg is placing ban/new regulation on fish importation in niaja. It is better to do the dry fish processing biz. please do send me your phone number via email , mine is eesteeresoureces@gmail.com.
Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 4:07pm On Dec 27, 2013
boluwajokosegun: Good one considering the fact that Fg is placing ban/new regulation on fish importation in niaja. It is better to do the dry fish processing biz. please do send me your phone number via email , mine is eesteeresoureces@gmail.com.
Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 4:10pm On Dec 27, 2013
boluwajokosegun: Good one considering the fact that Fg is placing ban/new regulation on fish importation in niaja. It is better to do the dry fish processing biz. please do send me your phone number via email , mine is eesteeresoureces@gmail.com.
Exactly, thats the reason am here to encourage my fellow nairalanders, it has great prospects in 2014. ayofag04@gmail.com.
Re: Catfish business analysis by tunnex190: 9:05pm On Dec 27, 2013
Thanks and nice one here. I'd love to get detailed information about this fish farming stuff. I also reside in Ibadan. How can we get to meet and discuss this?
Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 9:44pm On Dec 27, 2013
tunnex190: Thanks and nice one here. I'd love to get detailed information about this fish farming stuff. I also reside in Ibadan. How can we get to meet and discuss this?
I would have loved to meet you as well, but for now, am still very much busy with some works at hand but we can talk via my email.
Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 10:54am On Dec 28, 2013
Season greetings fellow nairalanders, I appreciate everyone’s calls and mails concerning the catfish smoking business. Some also are very enthusiastic about starting the business and have been ordering for a fabricated smoking kiln, you don’t need millions of naira to start, even as an undergraduate or a graduate that’s a huge money making concept because doing business makes you achieve your dreams and not just waiting at the end of the month for a peanut salary which your fellow business men could make in a single week.
Today, I will divert a little from the catfish smoking business into the catfish barbecue business starting with just a little money virtually less than #15000.
CATFISH BARBECUE
I will be teaching you a very simple approach to catfish barbecue which could also be a source of income in the coming year. You can get a simple stand along a business area or even write proposals to some eateries, joints where you can sell your product in there eateries most especially at night. For students, just find a place. An advantage an educated fellow has over an half- baked person is the packaging and marketing strategy. You can even customize a polo t-shirt in your business name, that’s another strategy.

THE STEPWISE PROCEEDURE
1. Let start with 30 catfish, remove the scales and gut the fish, place inside a bucket of water to rinse and dry with towel.
2. Get a small painter brush and dip inside olive oil or groundnut oil.
3. Season the inside and outside of the fish with salt, pepper, maggi, onion and any other thing you want.
4. Get a newspaper, cut open the center, get a sliced lemon with maybe sliced ugwu (vegetable) or any other sliced herb.
5. Place the sliced lemon and sliced ugwu over the fish and drizzle with extra oil.
6. Wrap the fish up tightly and tuck the insides of the paper to bring out the shape of the paper and tie up.
7. Dunk it inside a bucket of water and place on your rack over open fire for about 20-30mins each side, the paper will blacken out but the fish will remain good.
8. When it is ready, cut the string and paper off, unwrap and sell.

COST IMPLICATION
30 Catfish @ #380 = #11400
Painter brush = #80
Groundnut oil = #100
Salt,vegetable,pepper,maggil,lemon etc = #350
TOTAL = #11930
Catfish barbecue is sometimes sold between #800 - #1000 depending on the size of the fish, if for #800, = 30fishes * #800 = #24000
Profit = #24000 - #11930 =#12070. Highly profitable for 30fishes.
NOTE: you can also contact me for fabricated smoking kiln or consultancy services. Questions are entertained. To be continued…………
Re: Catfish business analysis by kentochi(m): 11:46am On Dec 28, 2013
God bless you @OP you are doing great work here.
Wishing you all happy new year as 2014 will come with great favour.
Re: Catfish business analysis by ruxton06(m): 12:53pm On Dec 28, 2013
ayofag: Thanks. Firstly, i was in abeokuta last month, but now in Ibadan consulting for a fish farm, Smoking kiln that would contain 200 fishes in a batch would cost 28k to 33k, but i could as well advise you on how to reduce cost by getting a welder to construct one with a cheaper price, i also helped a friend to convert his condemned fridge to a smoking kiln. About the marketing part, there are ready made markets in various places even in abeokuta, it is a city with most institutions in the country, it all depends on your packaging plan but a feasibility study must be worked on even in abeokuta markets, kuto and the likes. You can follow my thread to get better understanding about the business.
Thanks @op.
Getting a condemned fridge is no problem. Perhaps we can talk better thru my email ruxtonakintunde@gmail.com
Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 10:53pm On Dec 28, 2013
ruxton06:
Thanks @op.
Getting a condemned fridge is no problem. Perhaps we can talk better thru my email ruxtonakintunde@gmail.com
I already sent you a mail.
Re: Catfish business analysis by investnow2013: 12:08pm On Dec 29, 2013
ayofag: Why do people keep running at loss and eventually closing down the catfish business? The reason is not far-fetched; most people believe reading articles, manuals books on “How to start fish farming” will make tem successful in the business, that’s a capital NO. There are various technicalities which are known majorly by the fisheries extensionist, consultants and those that practice fish farming. It’s indeed a great priviledge reading this because from now on, I will open your eyes to the various technicalities, business approach towards Catfish farming. There are various businesses I will be writing in detailed about the catfish business.

CATFISH SMOKING
One of the easiest and most lucrative part of catfish business is smoking which can be sold locally or through some links internationally (you will have to contact me personally as regards the international exportation).
Step by Step Approach
1. Buy fresh catfishes of different size about 30, out of which 15 would be big and 15 small. For calculative reasons, lets say 15 big for #420 = #6300, 15 small for #350 = #5250. Total = #11550.
2. Clean the fishes with a soaked towel, then remove the intestines, some fins and the gills.
3. Wash in clean water separating the big fishes from the small ones
4. Get a bucket and pour 20cups of water depending on the total number of fishes with about 20 table spoon of salt. It is called Brining to remove blood, dirts and to add saltiness to the fish. The fishes are soaked for 15 – 20 minutes.
5. Remove fish from brine and rinse with water.
6. Get an oiled smoker rack and place the fishes side down on the oiled smoker rack.
7. Increase heat following the first 2hours to around 200hours until the fish is flaky as well as cooked.
8. Wrap when it is cooled.

COST IMPLICATION
Cost for 15 big fish = #6300
Cost for 15 small fish = #5250
Salt = #30
Oil and miscellaneous = #1300
TOTAL = #12880
In Abeokuta, smoke fish sells between #550 - #900 or more, if sold on average of #800. SELLING PRICE = #800 * 30fishes = #24000
Profit = #24000 - # 12880 = #11120. Highly profitable for 30 fishes.
NOTE: You can contact me for fabricated smoking kilns through my email.
To be continued……….
Questions are entertained

Re: Catfish business analysis by investnow2013: 12:14pm On Dec 29, 2013
ayofag: Season greetings fellow nairalanders, I appreciate everyone’s calls and mails concerning the catfish smoking business. Some also are very enthusiastic about starting the business and have been ordering for a fabricated smoking kiln, you don’t need millions of naira to start, even as an undergraduate or a graduate that’s a huge money making concept because doing business makes you achieve your dreams and not just waiting at the end of the month for a peanut salary which your fellow business men could make in a single week.
Today, I will divert a little from the catfish smoking business into the catfish barbecue business starting with just a little money virtually less than #15000.
CATFISH BARBECUE
I will be teaching you a very simple approach to catfish barbecue which could also be a source of income in the coming year. You can get a simple stand along a business area or even write proposals to some eateries, joints where you can sell your product in there eateries most especially at night. For students, just find a place. An advantage an educated fellow has over an half- baked person is the packaging and marketing strategy. You can even customize a polo t-shirt in your business name, that’s another strategy.

THE STEPWISE PROCEEDURE
1. Let start with 30 catfish, remove the scales and gut the fish, place inside a bucket of water to rinse and dry with towel.
2. Get a small painter brush and dip inside olive oil or groundnut oil.
3. Season the inside and outside of the fish with salt, pepper, maggi, onion and any other thing you want.
4. Get a newspaper, cut open the center, get a sliced lemon with maybe sliced ugwu (vegetable) or any other sliced herb.
5. Place the sliced lemon and sliced ugwu over the fish and drizzle with extra oil.
6. Wrap the fish up tightly and tuck the insides of the paper to bring out the shape of the paper and tie up.
7. Dunk it inside a bucket of water and place on your rack over open fire for about 20-30mins each side, the paper will blacken out but the fish will remain good.
8. When it is ready, cut the string and paper off, unwrap and sell.

COST IMPLICATION
30 Catfish @ #380 = #11400
Painter brush = #80
Groundnut oil = #100
Salt,vegetable,pepper,maggil,lemon etc = #350
TOTAL = #11930
Catfish barbecue is sometimes sold between #800 - #1000 depending on the size of the fish, if for #800, = 30fishes * #800 = #24000
Profit = #24000 - #11930 =#12070. Highly profitable for 30fishes.
NOTE: you can also contact me for fabricated smoking kiln or consultancy services. Questions are entertained. To be continued…………

1 Like

Re: Catfish business analysis by oscarvicto(m): 12:55pm On Dec 29, 2013
Sent a mail to you. Onyeka okafor
Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 2:55pm On Dec 29, 2013
oscarvicto: Sent a mail to you. Onyeka okafor
Please, kindly resend to ayofag04@gmail.com. Didnt get your mail.
Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 11:28pm On Dec 31, 2013
Happy new year to all my fellow nairalanders, i wish you a wonderful 2014. We should make the best choice by placing our priorities right and standup to success. Get a good business to start the year, and by the year ending you will realise how success a business man you are. Despite my experience in the catfish business, i still search for good businesses to invest on. After going through an e-book about various business choices and the way-about for 2014, i would like to recommend the ebook for business minded fellows, its high revealing. Happy new year once again.
Re: Catfish business analysis by halifab: 3:40pm On Jan 03, 2014
fish farming is lucrative but you need huge running capital to sustain it
also check out this resource portal http://farmresource..com/
Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 12:47pm On Jan 23, 2015
Complements of the season pals,

How is the catfish business going? Guess many of you can really now testify that Catfish-Agro business is worth doing and very productive in Nigeria.

I also appreciate the mails I got with respect to guidelines on the way forward starting small and growing big. Meanwhile, to all our out-going NYSC Corp members, this is an opportunity to be an entrepreneur and start earning well, not depending on your parents and the country as a whole.

Yea, to the Business proper, there are Smoking kilns available most especially the ones using Gas to reduce the Co2 that emits from kiln and also the stress with the smoking process. Very effective with good comfort. As of now, there are smoking kilns with 100kg and 75kg capacity. The prices are negotiable.

We give a 3-year warantee on our products with six months warantee for parts replacement if need be within the six month period. Our quality is what we pride in and that’s what we deliver.

Ultimately, what gurantees low CO2 content is the choice of fuel used for drying. For instance using gas, charcoal, wood, sawdust etc would burn with different CO2 content. Although, we have incorporated a dual layered perforated smoke sieve. This reduces the amount of CO2 that is emmited directly on the fish.

They are constructed using thick gauge plates and are coated with anti-rust before final paint coat to reduce risk of rust and prolong machine life.

Also on request, we could include a temperature indicator for clients who request for it.
The Kiln is powered using either gas or charcoal but the two cannot be used at the same time. Wood is not advisable to use in this type of Kiln.

Kindly call Deji on 07063830568 or contact through ayofag04@gmail.com
Re: Catfish business analysis by ojehlite(f): 11:54am On Oct 27, 2015
am interested. my email ivwuriep@gmail.com. wasapp 08138929828
Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 1:54pm On Dec 10, 2015
Wishing all our client merry christmas and Happy new year in advance.
Re: Catfish business analysis by Factism(m): 11:07am On Dec 15, 2015
Thank you so much sir for exposing this secret to us and not keeping it to yourself.
I will like to order for another set of smoking kiln, I hope that can be possible ASAP. factism001@gmail.com is my mail.
Re: Catfish business analysis by Eazeee(m): 3:53pm On Dec 15, 2015
pls how much does d smoking kiln cost? am thinking of going into fish farming with d intension of drying n selling. can u pls send d picture of d smoking kiln with price as well as any other item required for d business. finally can a civil servant venture into dis business? you can send a reply to eazeee21277@gmail.com
thanks
Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 11:03pm On Dec 15, 2015
Eazeee:
pls how much does d smoking kiln cost? am thinking of going into fish farming with d intension of drying n selling. can u pls send d picture of d smoking kiln with price as well as any other item required for d business. finally can a civil servant venture into dis business? you can send a reply to eazeee21277@gmail.com
thanks
Catfish smoking business is not just a business you venture into without the basic knowledge of what it entails. Get the knowledge first, then you start small. When you are done thinking, i would write you the necessary steps to start.
Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 9:30am On Dec 18, 2015
Factism:
Thank you so much sir for exposing this secret to us and not keeping it to yourself.
I will like to order for another set of smoking kiln, I hope that can be possible ASAP. factism001@gmail.com is my mail.
Thanks for that sir, i will get in touch via mail. Bst Regards.
Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 12:06pm On Dec 18, 2015
Purchase yours now and start earning more income from catfish smoking becoming an enterpreneur.

Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 8:20am On Dec 20, 2015
Happy Sunday to all our customers.

1 Like

Re: Catfish business analysis by ayofag(m): 7:07am On Dec 24, 2015
Merry Christmas & Happy new year in advance to you all.
Re: Catfish business analysis by Dotmax53: 7:46am On Dec 24, 2015
ayofag:
Purchase yours now and start earning more income from catfish smoking becoming an enterpreneur.

Howmuch does this cost??.....And howmuch can one use to start up this business proper??..What is the probality of selling all the fishes in a day after smoking??...Can one have a shop for this...Please contact me through my email...adedotundada53@gmail.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

OPEC Agrees To First Output Cut In 8 Years / Strictly For Those Interested In Mini Importation Business / Firstbank ATMs – Accounts For 37% Of Bills Payment Services On ATMs In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.