Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,807 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Ibrahimovic: Men Deserve More Respect Than Women - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ibrahimovic: Men Deserve More Respect Than Women (1137 Views)

Chelsea Deserve More Credit For Their Success - And Here's Why / NFF Must Respect Me, Pay Me - Keshi / Nigerian Players That Deserve Super Eagles Call-up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibrahimovic: Men Deserve More Respect Than Women by naijasofamerica(f): 11:12pm On Dec 26, 2013
Zlatan Ibrahimovic believes male players deserve to get more recognition than their female counterparts in Sweden and people should stop

whipping up a gender storm about it. Swedish FA sparks gender row after Svensson car gift. Record-holder Svensson calls time on Sweden

career. Ibrahimovic escapes ban for gun gesture.

The Sweden captain spoke out after his country's FA was slammed for presenting midfielder Anders Svensson with a new Volvo for breaking

Thomas Ravelli's record of 143 international caps.

However, when women's midfielder Therese Sjogran failed to get similar recognition at the same football gala despite earning a record 187

caps, the move was widely criticised.

"With all respect for what the ladies have done, and they've done it fantastically well, you can't compare men's and women's football. Give it up,

it's not even funny," the Paris Saint Germain striker said in an interview with the Expressen newspaper published on Wednesday.

"When I come out in Europe they compare me to (Lionel) Messi and (Cristiano) Ronaldo. When I come home they compare me to a female

player.

"With all respect for the ladies, they should be rewarded in relation to what they generate (financially).

"I was asked (by Swedish media) in the summer who was the better player, me or (Sweden striker) Lotta Schelin.

"You're joking with me, right? When I've broken all these records, this goal record, the goals in the national team, who shall I compare it to?

Shall I compare it to whoever has the record, or the ladies?"

Sweden prides itself on gender equality but, while the women's national team is more successful than the male equivalent, men's football gets

bigger crowds and support.

Re: Ibrahimovic: Men Deserve More Respect Than Women by waleadex(m): 11:45pm On Dec 26, 2013
Reverse is the case here in Nigeria. In soccer,men are more respected and recognised than women.
Re: Ibrahimovic: Men Deserve More Respect Than Women by Cooldude001: 11:53pm On Dec 26, 2013
I think i disagree with Zlatan. This is a sport most people sees as a man's game & if the women are playing football as highly recognized as Female football is today, i think Women deserves better as well & they should be respected.
Re: Ibrahimovic: Men Deserve More Respect Than Women by yoji: 9:19am On Dec 28, 2013
Cooldude001: I think i disagree with Zlatan. This is a sport most people sees as a man's game & if the women are playing football as highly recognized as Female football is today, i think Women deserves better as well & they should be respected.
Dude are u serious? Football like any other sport is a BUSINESS. The more money you generate, the more returns for u. Money is generated by gate fees for stadiums, selling jerseys i.e merchandising, and getting sponsorships . Stop being sentimental.
Re: Ibrahimovic: Men Deserve More Respect Than Women by Cooldude001: 5:12pm On Dec 28, 2013
yoji:
Dude are u serious? Football like any other sport is a BUSINESS. The more money you generate, the more returns for u. Money is generated by gate fees for stadiums, selling jerseys i.e merchandising, and getting sponsorships . Stop being sentimental.
I understand...
Re: Ibrahimovic: Men Deserve More Respect Than Women by Afam4eva(m): 5:55pm On Dec 28, 2013
I agree with Ibrahamovic. People should earn based on what they generate. That's why i find it strange that the ladies earn the same as the men in Tennis even when the men play more games and attract more money to the sports.
Re: Ibrahimovic: Men Deserve More Respect Than Women by naijasofamerica(f): 6:24pm On Dec 28, 2013
As much as i feel ladies should be respected. I think a player should be paid based on the efforts he or she gives into his or her team irrespective of the gender.
Re: Ibrahimovic: Men Deserve More Respect Than Women by Dannylux: 8:27pm On Dec 28, 2013
Alright.

Re: Ibrahimovic: Men Deserve More Respect Than Women by Karleb(m): 8:29pm On Dec 28, 2013
Dannylux: Alright.
where do u get all these memes?

(1) (Reply)

Manu Garba Is The The Best Football Coach In Africa And The Caribbean ! / 12 Golden Rules Of Football When We Were Growing Up / Live Pictures From Glo Caf Awards 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.