Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,185 members, 7,818,595 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

Behold My Patron Saint - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Behold My Patron Saint (1175 Views)

St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) / Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome / Today's St Patrick's Day: Nigeria's Patron Saint (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Behold My Patron Saint by damerry(m): 1:18am On Dec 27, 2013
A patron saint is a saint who is regarded as the intercessor and advocate in heaven for a nation, place, craft, activity, class, or person. The earliest records show that people and churches were named after apostles and martyrs as early as the fourth century. Patron saints are often chosen today because an interest, talent, or event in their lives overlaps with the special area. Angels can also be named as patron saints. A patron saint can help us when we follow the example of that saint's life and when we ask for that saint's intercessory prayers to God. For example, Francis of Assisi loved nature and so he is patron of ecologists. Francis de Sales was a writer and so he is patron of journalists and writers. Clare of Assisi was named patron of television because one Christmas when she was too ill to leave her bed she saw and heard Christmas Mass -- even though it was taking place miles away. Joseph of cupertino would often levitate and float which led to his patronage of people involved in Air travels and Air forces.

Today being the 27th of december the church celebrates the feast of my patron saint. Saint..

John The Apostle

Also known as

*The Beloved Disciple
*John The Envagelist
*John The theologian

Feast day 27th december

important events in the life of saint John

St. John, Apostle and Evangelist by Father Francis Xavier Weninger, 1876

St. John, Apostle and Evangelist of Jesus Christ, a brother of St. James, and son of Zebedee and Salome, was born at Bethsaida, a town in Galilee. Christ, our Lord, called him and his brother James to follow Him, at the time when they were mending their nets in a boat on the shore of the Sea of Genesareth. John, without delay, left all he possessed, even his own father, and, with his brother, followed the Lord. Although the youngest of the Apostles, he was beloved by the Saviour above all the others; whence he is several times mentioned in the Gospel, as "the disciple whom Jesus loved." The cause of this special love of Jesus for him, was, according to the Holy Fathers, his virginal purity, which he kept undefiled, and the tender love he bore to the Lord. "He was more beloved than all the other Apostles," writes St. Thomas Aquinas, "on account of his purity." "For the same reason," says St. Anselm, "God revealed more mysteries to him than to the other Apostles. Justly," says he, "did Christ the Lord reveal the greatest mysteries to him, because he surpassed all in virginal purity."
It is evident from the Gospel that St. John was one of the most intimate of the friends of the Lord, and was, in consequence, sometimes admitted into Christ's presence, when, except Peter and James, no other Apostle was allowed to be near. The other two above-named Apostles shared these favors with John; but none was permitted to lean upon the Saviour's bosom, at the last supper, save John; none was recommended as son to the divine Mother, but John. Only he, of all the Apostles, followed Christ to Mount Calvary, and remained there with Him until His death. To recompense this love, Christ gave him to His Mother as her son, when He said: "Behold thy Mother!" Christ, who had lived in virginal chastity, would trust His Virgin Mother to no one else but John, who himself lived in virginal purity. As St. Jerome says: "Christ, a virgin, recommended Mary, a virgin, to John, a virgin." No greater grace could John have asked of Christ; no more evident proof could he have received of His love. The most precious thing which the Lord possessed on earth, His holy Mother, He commended to His beloved disciple. He took him as brother, by giving Him as son to His mother. Who cannot see from all this that Christ loved and honored St. John above all others?
How deeply this beloved disciple must have suffered by seeing his Saviour die so ignominious a death, is easily to be conceived; and St. Chrysostom hesitates not to call him, therefore, a manifold martyr. After Christ had died on the Cross, had been taken from it, and interred with all possible honors, St. John returned home with the divine Mother, who was now also his mother, and waited for the glorious resurrection of the Lord When the Apostles separated, to preach the gospel over all the world, Asia Minor was assigned to St. John. Going thither, he began with great zeal his apostolic functions, and, by the gift of miracles, he converted many thousands to the faith of Christ. The many bishoprics which he instituted in the principal cities sufficiently prove this. In the course of time, he went also to other countries, preaching everywhere, with equal success, the word of Christ.
Re: Behold My Patron Saint by damerry(m): 1:20am On Dec 27, 2013
The Emperor Domitian, who, after the death of the Emperor Nero, again began to persecute the Christians, ordered his officers to apprehend John, and bring him to Rome. Hardly had the holy Apostle arrived there, when he was commanded by the Emperor to sacrifice to the gods. As the Saint refused this, and fearlessly confessed Christ, the Emperor had him most cruelly scourged, and afterwards cast into a large caldron, filled with boiling oil. The Saint signed himself and the caldron with the holy cross, and remained unharmed when he was cast into it. This gave him an opportunity to announce, with great energy, to the assembled people, the gospel of Jesus Christ. The tyrant, who could not suffer this, had him taken out of the caldron, and sentenced him to banishment on the island of Patmos, to work in the mines, and perform other hard labor, in company with other Christians. St. John had, at that time, reached his ninetieth year, but was willing to undergo the unjust sentence.
After his arrival on the island, he had many and wonderful visions, which, by command of God, he put down in writing. The book which contains them is a part of Holy Writ, called the Apocalypse, or Revelation of St. John, a book which, according to St. Jerome, contains almost as many mysteries as words. After the death of Domitian, St. John was liberated, and returning to Ephesus, remained there until his death. He outlived all the other Apostles, as he reached the age of 100 years. His great labors, wearisome travels, and the many hardships he endured, at last enfeebled him to such an extent, that he could not go to the church without being carried. Frequently he repeated, in his exhortations, the words: "My little children, love one another." Some, annoyed at this, asked him why he so often repeated these words. He answered: "Because it is the commandment of the Lord; and if that is done, it suffices." By this he meant, that if we love each other rightly, we also love God; and when we love God and our neighbor, no more is needed to gain salvation; as love to God and to our neighbor contains the keeping of all other commandments.
The holy Apostle, who had suffered and labored so much for his beloved Master, was, at length, in the year 104, called by Him into heaven to receive his eternal reward. Besides the Apocalypse, to which we referred above, St. John also wrote three Epistles and his Gospel, on account of which he is called Evangelist. In his Gospel he gives many more facts than the other Evangelists, to prove the divinity of Jesus Christ; as, at that period, several heretics, as Cerinthus, Ebion, and the Nicolaites fought against this truth. In his Epistles, he exhorts particularly to love God and our neighbor, and to avoid heretics. In the first, among other things, he explains that love to God consists in keeping the commandments of God, which are not difficult to keep. "For this is the charity of God," writes he, "that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not heavy." Of the love of our neighbor he says, that it must manifest itself in works, that is, we must assist our brethren in their need, and, if necessary, give even our lives for them, after the example of Christ. The holy Apostle exemplified his words by his actions.
Several holyfathers relate the following of him. The Saint had given a youth in charge of a bishop, with the commendation to instruct him carefully in virtue and sacred sciences. After some years, when the Saint returned to this bishop, and asked for the young man, he heard with deep sorrow that he had secretly left, and had joined the highwaymen, and had even become their chief. The holy Apostle set out at once, and went, not without danger to his life, into the woods, where the unhappy young man was said, to be. Finding him, he spoke most kindly to him, and succeeded in bringing him back. It is touching to read how the holy, man promised to atone for the youth's sins, if he would repent, and lead a better life. The youth followed the Saint's admonition, and did penance with such fervor and zeal that the Saint hesitated not to give him charge of the church at Ephesus.
Re: Behold My Patron Saint by damerry(m): 1:27am On Dec 27, 2013
PRACTICAL CONSIDERATIONS.

1. Virginal chastity, which St. John preserved inviolate, was the principal reason why Christ the Lord loved him above all others, recommended him to His beloved mother, gave her to him as mother, and bestowed many other graces upon him. For nothing is more certain than what I have already more than once said to you; whoever preserves angelic purity, will have God as a friend and protector. But who will be the friend of him who is a slave to the vice of unchastity? Surely neither the Almighty, nor Angels, nor Saints; none but the unclean spirit; for he, as I told you only a few days ago, has the greatest pleasure in the vice of unchastity, which gains him more souls than all the other vices. Whose love and friendship do you seek? The love of Jesus Christ, or of the devil? Your lips tell me that you seek the friendship of the Lord, and not that of Satan. But your works--do they speak the same language? The boldness of your eyes, your tongue arid your manners, your frequent and frivolous associations with those of the other sex; and your equivocal or openly licentious speeches and songs, are surely no signs that you love chastity with your whole heart and endeavor to gain the love of Christ. Correct yourself in every point in which you need correction, or you can never expect to have Christ as your friend; neither can you hope to have the Mother of Jesus as your mother. She was given to the chaste John as a mother, and John, chaste and pure, was given to her as a son. If you would be a true child of Mary, if you wish Mary to be your mother, and to enjoy her motherly care and protection, as well during your life as in your dying hour, endeavor to live chaste according to your station, and avoid all that is against the purity required of you.

2. "My dear children, love one another." This was the admonition that St. John gave to the Christians. In his Epistles, he also commends nothing more earnestly than this. He teaches, however, that we must not only love with the tongue and in words, but in deed and in truth. Love to God must manifest itself in keeping the commandments of God, as he teaches in the following words: "For this is the charity of God, that we keep his commandments." (I John, v.) Those Who do not endeavor to keep them, must not say that they truly love God. Love to our neighbor must be made manifest by observing the words of Christ: " All things, therefore, whatsoever you would that men should do to you, do you also to them." (Matthew, vii.) "This sentence," says St. Paulinus, "we should have constantly before our eyes, and daily examine ourselves, if and how we have obeyed God's command." And it is this which I counsel you today to observe. For, you ought to know, that it is necessary for salvation, to love God and our neighbor with our whole heart; God, by keeping His commandments; our neighbor, by doing to him as we would wish that he should do to us. "Let nobody imagine that he will gain salvation by fasting, praying and other good works, who does not truly love God and his neighbor." Thus speaks St. Cyril of Alexandria.
Re: Behold My Patron Saint by damerry(m): 1:27am On Dec 27, 2013
Hymn: An Invocation of St. John,
Evangelist

Saint of the Sacred Heart,
Sweet teacher of the Word,
Partner of Mary's woes,
And favourite of thy Lord!

Oh teach me then, dear Saint!
The secrets Christ taught thee;
The beatings of His Heart,
And how it beat for me!

We know not all thy gifts;
But this Christ bids us see,
That He who so loved all
Found more to love in thee.

And how it beat for me!

When the last evening came,
Thy head was on His breast,
Pillowed on earth, where now
In heaven the Saints find rest.

And how it beat for me!

Dear Saint! I stand far off,
With vilest sins opprest;
Oh may I dare, like thee,
To lean upon His breast?

And how it beat for me!

His touch could heal the sick,
His voice could raise the dead;
Oh that my soul might be
Where He allows thy head.

And how it beat for me!

The gifts He gave to thee
He gave thee to impart;
And I, too, claim with thee
His Mother and His Heart!

And how it beat for me!
Re: Behold My Patron Saint by damerry(m): 1:28am On Dec 27, 2013
Prayer to St. John as your Patron
Saint

Saint John, whom I have chosen as my special patron, pray for me that I, too, may one day glorify the Blessed Trinity in heaven.
Obtain for me your lively faith, that I may consider all persons, things, and events in the light of almighty God. Pray, that I may be
generous in making sacrifices of temporal things to promote my eternal interests, as you so wisely did. Set me on fire with a love for Jesus, that I may thirst for His sacraments and burn with
zeal for the spread of His kingdom. By your powerful intercession, help me in the
performance of my duties to God, myself and all the world.
Win for me the virtue of purity and a great confidence in the Blessed Virgin. Protect me this day, and every day of my life. Keep me from mortal sin. Obtain for me the grace of a happy death. Amen

www.catholicharboroffaithandmorals.com/St.%20John%20Popup.html
Re: Behold My Patron Saint by damerry(m): 1:29am On Dec 27, 2013
Saint John's Patronage

Against burns
Against epilepsy
Against foot problems
Against hailstorms
Against poisoning
Burn victims

Art dealers
Authors
Basket makers
Bookbinders
Booksellers
Publishers
Butchers
Compositors
Editors
Engravers
Friendships
Glaziers
Government officials
Harvests
Lithographers
Notaries
Painters
Papermakers
Printers
Saddle makers
Scholars
Sculptors
Tanners
Theologians
Typesetters
Vintners
Writers

Boise, Idaho, diocese of
Saint-Jean – Longueuil, Québec,
diocese of
Cleveland, Ohio, diocese of
Eger, Hungary, archdiocese of
Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Asia Minor
Borgo Santo Sepolcro, Italy
Morra, Netherlands
Sansepolcro, Italy
Sundern, Germany
Taos, New Mexico
Umbria, Italy
Wroclaw, Poland

www.saints.sqpn.com/saint-john-the-apostle/
Re: Behold My Patron Saint by damerry(m): 1:30am On Dec 27, 2013
Celebrate my patron Saint with me by...

*Attending mass today in his honour.

*Praying at least 5 decades of the holy rosary

*liking this post

saint John the Apostle, Pray for us.

BLESSED BE GOD IN HIS ANGElS & HIS SAINTS

1 Like

Re: Behold My Patron Saint by damerry(m): 1:31am On Dec 27, 2013

1 Like

Re: Behold My Patron Saint by SalC: 8:54am On Dec 27, 2013
St John the apostle and beloved of Jesus Christ
pray for us.

Happy feast day

1 Like

Re: Behold My Patron Saint by woky: 12:34pm On Dec 27, 2013
St. John, pray for us

1 Like

Re: Behold My Patron Saint by POPEII: 3:00pm On Jan 04, 2014
St john pray for us

1 Like

Re: Behold My Patron Saint by damerry(m): 3:33pm On Jan 04, 2014
Thank you brethern. I'll love it if you can also intimate me with your patron saints. God bless us all

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

10types Of People In A Night Vigil Programme. / Woman Wins $1million Lotto Jackpot After Atheist Son Prays For Prize / My April Declaration.. If U Believe Type Amen!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.