Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) (2634 Views)

Behold My Patron Saint / Patron Saints Of Christendom or Pagan Saints Of Rome / Today's St Patrick's Day: Nigeria's Patron Saint (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jan 04, 2014
Prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas
I give thanks to thee, O holy Lord, father almighty, eternal God, who hast vouchsafed, not for any merits of my own, but solely out of the condescension of they mercy, to appease the hunger of the soul of thine unworthy servant, with the precious body and blood of thy son our Lord Jesus Christ.

I implore that this holy communion be not to me a condemnation unto punishment, but a saving plea unto forgiveness. May it be unto me the armor of faith and the shield of good purpose. May it be the emptying out of my vices, the extinction of all concupiscence and lust, the increase of Charity and patience, of humility and Obedience, and of all enemies, visible and invisible, the perfect quieting of all my impulses, both fleshly and ghostly, a firm cleaving unto thee, the one true God, and an earnest of a happy consummation.

And I beseech thee, that thou wouldst vouschsafe to bring me, a sinner, to that ineffable Banquet, in which thou, together with thy son and the Holy Ghost (spirit), art to thy saints true light, fullness of content, eternal joy, gladness without alloy and perfect happiness.
Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jan 04, 2014
O SAINT THOMAS AQUINAS, Doctor of the Church Millitant, flourishing by Virginal purity, obtain for us the joys we desise of the church Triumphant.
V Pray for us, O saint Thomas Aquinas
R That we may made worthy of the promises of christ

Let us pray
O God, Who doest make they church glorious through the marvelous learning of blessed Thomas Aquinas, Thy confessor and doctor, and doest render it fruitful by his holy deeds, grant us, we beseech thee, both clearly to Understand the things he taught and faithfully to imitate what he did. Through christ our lord.

R Amen
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by POPEII: 2:07pm On Jan 04, 2014
St Thomas Aquinas pray for us
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jan 04, 2014
POPE II: St Thomas Aquinas pray for us
Amen

1 Like

Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 04, 2014
BIOGRAPHY OF ST. ThOMAS AQUINAS, THE PATRON SAINT
St. Thomas Aquinas, Priest and Doctor of the Church(AD 1225-AD 1274)

BACKGROUND
The family of the counts of Aquinas was noble, tracing its descent back for several centuries of the Lombards. St. Thomas' father was a knight, Landulf, and his mother Theodora was a Norman descent.
There seems something more nothern than southern about Thomas's physique, his imposing stature, massive build and fresh complexion.
The precise year of his birth is uncertain, but it was about 1225 and took place in the castle of Rocca Secca, the ruins of which are still to be seen on a mountain crag dominating the fertile plain of campagna felice, a little town of the aquino.
A few miles to the south of Roccas secca, on a high plateau, stood the Abbey of Monte Cassino, whose abbot at this time was kinsmen of the Aquino family, Landulf Sinbaldo.
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:47pm On Jan 04, 2014
keep worshipping white men.

whats funny is that this St. aquinas tried to incorporate the teachings of the Pagan Aristotle into the catholic church.

1 Like

Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by POPEII: 2:49pm On Jan 04, 2014
Get lost
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:57pm On Jan 04, 2014
POPE II: Get lost

Get lost yourself!

why should I?

I was on Nairaland before you f00LS turned up.

dont you keep butting into our threads and then face defeat shamelessly
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by damerry(m): 2:58pm On Jan 04, 2014
Thomas Aquinas. A Great saint he was.

@ FrancisTony, Something tells me you woluld love to become a scholar or work with educational bodies. wink

saint Thomas aquinas, pray 4 us.

Please meet my own patron saint

www.nairaland.com/1569944/behold-patron-saint

Blessed be God in his angels and his saints
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by damerry(m): 3:00pm On Jan 04, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:

Get lost yourself!

why should I?

I was on Nairaland before you f00LS turned up.

dont you keep butting into our threads and then face defeat shamelessly
Please think outside the pagan box for once.
P34C3
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jan 04, 2014
damerry: Thomas Aquinas. A Great saint he was.

@ FrancisTony, Something tells me you woluld love to become a scholar or work with educational bodies. wink

saint Thomas aquinas, pray 4 us.

Please meet my own patron saint

www.nairaland.com/1569944/behold-patron-saint

Blessed be God in his angels and his saints
LOL. Wanna be a Pharmacist!.
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jan 04, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:
keep worshipping white men.

whats funny is that this St. aquinas tried to incorporate the teachings of the Pagan Aristotle into the catholic church.
Smh for you eh undecided
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jan 04, 2014
@PAGAN9JA!! You don't even know the meaning of worship! Smh for you
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by SalC: 3:05pm On Jan 04, 2014
Ok Brb

1 Like

Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by damerry(m): 3:26pm On Jan 04, 2014
FrancisTony: LOL. Wanna be a Pharmacist!.
grin So what Do you cherish in the life of this great saint?

1 Like

Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jan 04, 2014
damerry: grin So what Do you cherish in the life of this great saint?
He is not my patron saint.
Just wanna write about him.
My Patron Saint is St. Francis of Assisi cheesy grin
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 04, 2014
Pictures

Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jan 04, 2014
EARLY LIFE
As a child of five Thomas was taken to Monte Cassion as an oblate and he remained till he was about thirteen, living in the monastery and getting his schooling there. He was taken away probably because of the disturbed state of the times and about 1239 was sent to the University of Naples, where for five years he studied the Arts and Sciences. He became attracted by the Order of Preachers, whose Church he loved to frequent and with some of whose members he soon became intimate. At the age of about nineteen, he was received and clothed in the habit of the order........
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jan 04, 2014
CONTINUATION...... News of this was soon carried to Roccas secca, where it aroused great indignation not because he has joined religious community, for his mother was quite content that he should become a Benedictine, and indeed probably saw in him the destined abbot of Monte cassino, but because he had entered a mendicant order. Theodora herself set out for Naples to persuade her son to return home. The friars, however hurried him off their convent of Santa Sabina in Rome, and when the angry Lady followed in pursuit, the young man was no longer to be found there. The master general of the Dominicans, who was on his way to Bologna, decided to take Thomas with him and the Little party of Friars had already set out on foot together. Theodora, not be bulked, sent word to saint's elder brothers who were serving with emperor's army in Tuscany, desiring them to waylay the fugitive. As Thomas was resting by the roadside at Aquapendente near siena, he was overtaken by his brothers at head of a troop of soldiers, and after a vain attempt to take the habit from him by force, was brought back, first to Rocca Secca and then to the Castle of Monte San Giovanni, two miles distance, where he was kept in close confinement, only his worldly minded sister Morratta being allowed to visit him. During his captivity Thomas studied the sentence of Peter Lombard, learned by heart a great part of the bible, and is said to have written a treatise on the fallacies of Aristotle.
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jan 04, 2014
........the captivity lasted two years before Thomas' family gave up and in 1245 permitted him to return to his order. It was now determined to send him to complete his studies under St. Albert the Great, and he set out in company with the Master General, John the Teutonic, who was on his way to Paris; from there Thomas went on to Cologne. The schools there were full of young clerics from various parts of Europe eager to learn and equally eager to discuss, and the humble reserved new comer was not immediately appreciated either by his fellow students or by his Professors. His silence at disputations as well as his bulky figure led to his receiving the nickname of the dumb Sicilain ox
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jan 04, 2014
HIS WORK
There are chronological difficulties about these years of St. Thomas' life, but certainly in 1252, at the instance of St. Albert and Cardinal Hugh of Saint-Cher, he was ordered to Paris to teach as a bachelor in the university.

Academical degrees wee then very different from what they are now, and were conferred only in view of the actual work of teaching.
In Paris, Thomas expounded the holy scripture and the Liber sententiarum of Peter Lombard; he also wrote a commentary on these same sentences, an other on Isaiah's and St. Mathew's Gospels. Four years later he was delivered his inaugural lecture as master and received his doctor's chair, his duties being to lecture, to discuss and to preach; and towards the end of the time he began the Summa Contra Gentiles. From 1259 to 1268 he was in Italy. Here he was made a preacher general, and he was called upon to teach in the school of selected scholars attached to the papal court, and, as he followed the Pope in his movements, St. Thomas lectured and preached in many of the Italian towns. About 1266 he began the most famous of all his written works, the Summa theologiae.
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jan 04, 2014
Saint thomas aquinus is dead and gone.

1 Like

Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 7:00pm On Jan 04, 2014
worshiping dead people !

No surprise here.

smiley

1 Like

Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by plaetton: 7:06pm On Jan 04, 2014
frosbel: worshiping dead people !

No surprise here.

smiley

And they made fun of us for worshiping our ancestors.
I would rather worship my ancestors than any dead foreign person who could have been a pedophile during his life.

2 Likes

Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jan 04, 2014
plaetton:

And they made fun of us for worshiping our ancestors.
I would rather worship my ancestors than any dead foreign person who could have been a pedophile during his life.
No need arguing with you 'cause you don't know the meaning of worship!
frosbel: worshiping dead people !
No surprise here.
smiley
[quote author=plaetton] Come back for a piquant argument if you get to know the meaning of worship. grin grin
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jan 04, 2014
I can't argue with a man who doesn't know the meaning of Worship.

Does my prayer say that St thomas should have mercy on me or did it glorify him like how you worship your dead ancestor. Smh and give up.
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by POPEII: 8:22pm On Jan 04, 2014
Please Francis, stop replying them jor, I'm loving this thread keep updating and don't mind the deraillers
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by damerry(m): 8:55pm On Jan 04, 2014
FrancisTony: He is not my patron saint.
Just wanna write about him.
My Patron Saint is St. Francis of Assisi cheesy grin
little wonder. I mistook thomas Aquinas for your patron saint thats why i guessed you had interest in scholars or Academics.

Francis of Asisi was a great saint. I pray you follow his saintly paths without reservations smiley
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jan 04, 2014
FrancisTony: I can't argue with a man who doesn't know the meaning of Worship.

Does my prayer say that St thomas should have mercy on me or did it glorify him like how you worship your dead ancestor. Smh and give up.

Whether it is worship or prayer, you are trying to communicate with the dead , which the bible classifies as a sin under necromancy.

Stop calling PAGANISM Christianity, this is Blasphemy !
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by POPEII: 9:03pm On Jan 04, 2014
Bump

*yawns*
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jan 04, 2014
damerry: little wonder. I mistook thomas Aquinas for your patron saint thats why i guessed you had interest in scholars or Academics.

Francis of Asisi was a great saint. I pray you follow his saintly paths without reservations smiley
wink wink wink
Re: St Thomas Aquinas(the Patron Saint) by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jan 04, 2014
frosbel:

Whether it is worship or prayer, you are trying to communicate with the dead , which the bible classifies as a sin under necromancy.

Stop calling PAGANISM Christianity, this is Blasphemy !
LOL! Dude you're trolling.
Revelation 5:8
Now when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the lamb, each having a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints
LOL! Read and assimilate that and come back for an argument.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Christian Marriage: Does God Actually Match Make ??? / Do You Carry Amulets? / How God Killed 500,000 people In A week!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.