Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,693 members, 7,820,420 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning (7113 Views)

The Border Patrol Aircraft Of The Nigeria Customs Service (photos) / Osun Budgeted 198 Billion With 89 Billion As Recurrent For 2015 / Nigeria Marks 100bn-barrel Oil And $600 Billion With More Poverty. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Nobody: 1:44pm On Dec 28, 2013
Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 billion with Document Scanning

The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) has saved the nation about N27 billion through scanning and verification of importation documents, which it introduced as part of the cargo clearance process.

While the huge savings were made by the NCS, it was, however, gathered that the federal government would have lost almost same amount through poor verification of import documents by service providers between January and November this year.

Deputy Comptroller of Customs and Public Relations Officer (PRO), NCS Headquarters, Abuja, Adewale Adeniyi, disclosed this in a programme on Channels Television and monitored by THISDAY.

According to Adeniyi, the substitution of Risk Assessment Report (RAR) with the Pre-Arrival Assessment Report (PAAR) will also boost the security situation of the country.

“We had to check some of their documents for verification and we were able to generate a further sum of N27 billion, just from January to November. So, if it has just been only the service providers that had done those verification alone, that would have been money lost down the drain.

"The federal government took the decision on PAAR for many good reasons. So the issue is, if you are looking at a very stronger means of protecting our borders, if you are looking at trade facilitation, then you must look at other channels beyond RAR,” he said.

He explained that the task given the NCS by government is to ensure that the country run the PAAR and get better benefits.

According to him, the PAAR has an added advantage of reducing the time of conducting procedural process.

He noted that before, the importers have to commute from Apapa to Victoria Island and back to Apapa or Tin Can Island with transportation challenge in Lagos.

“Under the PAAR system, which the Customs is driving, we are capturing data with electronic systems. We also have in it the added advantage of having a more vibrant platform for collaboration with other relevant agencies. Not only with the Standard Organisation of Nigeria (SON), to ensure higher quality assurance, but also with other agencies that are involved in import business, including the Plant Quarantine, NAFDAC and so on,” he said.

Adeniyi said the NCS has a platform through which it can share intelligence with other stakeholders, stressing that the ultimate goal is the evolution of a functional single window system.

The NCS image maker explained that with the PAAR, the system is able to make relevant decisions even before the goods arrive, especially in terms of whether “we are going to open it up and count or simply put it up for scanning.”

He maintained that the primary source of information would remain that as provided by the importers, saying what would be needed would be merely to adopt established procedures to verify such information and issue PAAR between 24 or 48 hours.

He added that the beauty of PAAR is that it actually relies on the honest and voluntary compliance of the importers’ declaration. He, however, maintained that the process might sometimes go beyond one day in some cases because there might be lots of issues that may come into play in the process of arriving at vital decisions.

He pointed out that while the PAAR is a human process, the aim of the platform is to create a system that would be “corruption- proof.” Hence, NCS has painstakingly reduced human contacts, in favour of automation.

He said this is part of the reason why the Comptroller General of Customs started with an improvement of the personnel’s welfare packages and salaries, before coming this far.

According to the PRO, PAAR has been so transparently designed that it will enable the importers to know everything the Customs officers should know, so as to completely eliminate the chances of any ambiguity or extortions and described the Customs Ruling Centre as a “trade portal” through which NCS is trying to put information across to every stakeholder, as everyone could freely go to http://www.nigeriatrade.org.ng a 24/7 online platform, and enjoy the simplicity of its design.

Source

2 Likes

Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 28, 2013
PAAR is useless...

In most instances...NCS have been uplifting transaction invoice value for no any other reason that raising revenue.

3 Likes

Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by taharqa: 4:43pm On Dec 28, 2013
ilugunboy: PAAR is useless...

In most instances...NCS have been uplifting transaction invoice value for no any other reason that raising revenue.
What does a loud-mouthed OLODO like you know, Bros??

3 Likes

Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 28, 2013
taharqa: What does a loud-mouthed OLODO like you know, Bros??

Sharraaaappp!

Am in the system so I know better....am not a PPP like you grin

6 Likes

Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by taharqa: 6:03pm On Dec 28, 2013
ilugunboy:

Sharraaaappp!

Am in the system so I know better....am not a PPP like you grin
So, what do you 'know' about d PAAR System??
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Nobody: 10:30pm On Dec 28, 2013
PAAR replaces RAR....

PAAR is issue by customs mainly for duty assessment as against RAR under Globalscan, Cotecna and SGS..
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by taharqa: 10:53pm On Dec 28, 2013
ilugunboy: PAAR replaces RAR....

PAAR is issue by customs mainly for duty assessment as against RAR under Globalscan, Cotecna and SGS..
lol... I was not asking you to tell me what I already knew. I wanted you to tell me how d newly introducf PAAR 'is useless'. Shebi, that was yr claim...
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Standing5(m): 11:32pm On Dec 28, 2013
How much was lost then?
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Nobody: 11:02am On Dec 29, 2013
taharqa: lol... I was not asking you to tell me what I already knew. I wanted you to tell me how d newly introducf PAAR 'is useless'. Shebi, that was yr claim...

You don't even know the reason why PAAR replaced RAR...?

Face your PPP job jaree.

4 Likes

Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Nobody: 11:14am On Dec 29, 2013
ilugunboy:

You don't even know the reason why PAAR replaced RAR...?

Face your PPP job jaree.

Answer the question and stop beating around the bush

taharqa: lol... I was not asking you to tell me what I already knew. I wanted you to tell me how d newly introducf PAAR 'is useless'. Shebi, that was yr claim...

1 Like

Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by 190theclown: 11:17am On Dec 29, 2013
So there are custom services in Nigeria shocked shocked

Interesting . . .

How tight are the borders in nigeria btw

Nor be seme border wen people dey use okada cross angry

1 Like

Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Jensenelizz(m): 11:21am On Dec 29, 2013
Booked *inside church*
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Nobody: 11:27am On Dec 29, 2013
gboss4sure:

Answer the question and stop beating around the bush

Look at this dude....

When you know the objectives of PAAR and how it's been implemented from a location in Abuja without contact points near the ports, you will appreciate what am saying. The people in the system perfectly understand my point.
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Nobody: 11:28am On Dec 29, 2013
despite this,NCS is still the most corrupt organization in Nigeria,if you doubt,come and see my neighbour who is a custom officer,he throws big party every other week,living a very affluence life,i know all that cant be funded by his salary.

3 Likes

Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Nobody: 11:30am On Dec 29, 2013
just stop by to say goodbye
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Samueloladapo(m): 11:30am On Dec 29, 2013
In the other news

Nigeria lost 54billion thru custom

Sauce and Maggi - Atlantic Reporters
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Nobody: 11:31am On Dec 29, 2013
Buoyantic: just stop by to say goodbye

You are quite pretty... kiss kiss
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Nobody: 11:33am On Dec 29, 2013
Yomieluv: despite this,NCS is still the most corrupt organization in Nigeria,if you doubt,come and see my neighbour who is a custom officer,he throws big party every other week,living a very affluence life,i know all that cant be funded by his salary.

They will threaten you with physical scanning.....and that can take days...imagine what five days demurrage can cost a BL with 5 refer containers listed on it...
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by satowind(m): 11:33am On Dec 29, 2013
Passing by @ a very high speed. Compliment of the season sha.

Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Caseless: 12:01pm On Dec 29, 2013
u ar a bigger olodo by not telling him what u know, mr-know-it-all.

5 Likes

Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Dhelake: 12:04pm On Dec 29, 2013
They've tried... But Nigeria loses more through those unguarded borders
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Caseless: 12:05pm On Dec 29, 2013
is that u?
*grabs my 'talk-true' stick*
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by mcsamloko(m): 12:11pm On Dec 29, 2013
Good ste in the right diirection.
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Caseless: 12:17pm On Dec 29, 2013
ilugunboy:

They will threaten you with physical scanning.....and that can take days...imagine what five days demurrage can cost a BL with 5 refer containers listed on it...

the same ppl that made me pay 80k in lokoja , claiming my papers/custom duty were fake ar now singin how they run thorough scanning on goods. And u begin to wonder how d car we used dat day got into nigeria without d necessary paper, this hapen under their nose and they stil claim they'r workin. They even threatened us that if we fail to pay them dat day, d car wl b taken to minna and we might come to minna and may possibly not find our car there. We had to pay them that day.
Bunch of ash-clothed corrupt idiats!

1 Like

Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by postemail: 12:26pm On Dec 29, 2013
What really gets me riled about this country is that even bureaucrats still play politics with the rest of us. This comptroller is quoting huge sums to justify the transfer container scanning and duty assessment from Cotecna, Globascan, SGS to Nigerian customs.
Go to the ports, these custom Officers set up different squads to extort from importers: there are DC squad, Releasing Officer Squad, ICU Squad, Enforcement Squad etc. These are all from the same bloody customs. Now you have to settle them to get PAAR out on time starting from January.You have to deal all these squads. Dealing with them means settling them. Then you still have to settle police, anti-bomb squad, NDLEA and SON. You ain't done yet! You have the customs at the port gate to Settle. If it's at night, so called "Manufacturers Association" are cruising the oshodi-apapa to festac-agboju gate looking for container haulers to extort.

Lucky you if you aren't heading to Ojo-Alaba. The Nigerian Army (Ojo barracks) have setup an extortion racket with omoniles at Volks junction. You have to pay a toll of 10,000 for 20ft container, and 14,000 for 40ft container. Without this payment you can't cross to Alaba. If paying the Army touts isn't enough, you have pay the Ojo local government touts -2500/3500 for 20ft/40ft container. Ojo police have their own racket with the local government touts opposite Ojo local government gate. You'd notice a white canopy with burly men. They are police guys in mufti with the LG touts.The police charge 1000 toll for 20ft container. The "olopas" aint done yet. They still have their RRS squad at Saint Peter junction extorting 1000 for each haul.

After dealing with all these crazies, you still have the local touts at every main junction to settle. They aren't cheap! The least is 3000 for a 20footer.

The whole import thingy is a mess. Labour touts in the port are brazenly stealing your goods at the port. Custom officers are begging for samples. You have to give samples to all to avoid victimization. The roads are horrible!!!! Transporters are at your jugular! Damn Nigeria!

6 Likes

Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by shizzle11(m): 12:52pm On Dec 29, 2013
can't say much about it now, but I know someone who submitted for PAR since 4th DEC but is yet to receive it.
Going by what we are told, it will save a lot of cost and time for consignments to be cleared at the terminal, but so far I have my reservations.
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Nobody: 12:55pm On Dec 29, 2013

Seriously boy,
Are you always stupid Or do you always make a special effort

Damn Boy you're so good at what you do. Attacking everybody that disagrees with your paymaster JONATHAN.

1 Like

Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by shizzle11(m): 1:13pm On Dec 29, 2013
Akinmail:

Seriously boy,
Are you always stupid Or do you always make a special effort

Damn Boy you're so good at what you do. Attacking everybody that disagrees with your paymaster JONATHAN.
Child, You are the stupid one here.
Do you have yo drag the name Jonathan into this?, please develop some brain

1 Like

Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Nobody: 1:22pm On Dec 29, 2013
shizzle11:
Child, You are the stupid one here.
Do you have yo drag the name Jonathan into this?, please develop some brain

It's impossible to 'develop' a brain boy! If at all i need something like that then it will mean i'll need to grow more brain cells.

BTW, yes i know i'm a celebrity but you didn't introduce yourself. Boy where are your manners!
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Nobody: 1:23pm On Dec 29, 2013

Your sister is cute though wink
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by maasoap(m): 1:25pm On Dec 29, 2013
In another news, Amaechi had this to say: “When I said they could not account for N2.3 trnfor oil subsidy, they say what is your source? I was in the meeting with the President. We told the President that under General Obasanjo, the total oil money was N300 bn. The first year of PresidentGoodluck Jonathan, 2011, oil subsidy became N2.3 trn. Did we buy more machines, expanded Nigeria?”
Re: Customs Service Saves Nigeria N27 Billion With Document Scanning by Nobody: 1:46pm On Dec 29, 2013
The rubbish PAAR where values are increased with out any just cause simply because of revenue drive?
The same PAAR that takes forever to come thereby mounting lots od demurrage?
If this PAAR thing was so good, customs should explain to Nigerians why they had to give waivers in their circulars for assessment notices to be generated without PAAR? They should explain to Nigerians the current cause of congestion at the ports? They should explain why it is now taking forever for containers scheduled for scanning examination are taking forever, they should explain why officers at the ports are habitually using wrong HS codes to intimidate importers!
Nigerian customs is a big joke!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Events In This Country Have Justified That Nigeria Is Indeed A Zoo (A Must Read) / List Of 57 Lgs, Lcdas Sole Administrators Swore In By Governor Ambode / Breaking!!:fayose Was Right,Aisha Never Left Nigeria(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.