Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,431 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:29 AM

Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop (25493 Views)

7 Important Things You Should Consider Before Buying A Laptop / Things To Consider Before Buying Laptop / Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by okechukwu3: 1:48am On Jan 03, 2014
You need a first class CPU - core i7, core i5, or even core i3 - for fast compilation of Java code and quick testing of scripts.

You need to have as much RAM as possible so your system won't slow down when running IDE, browser, Apache, MySQL, etc at once.

You need a minimum of 720p resolution (1366 x 768, or 1280x800). You need the screen estate to reduce the overhead of app switching.

Your laptop should have decent battery life; at least 4 hours, so you won't be frustrated by PHCN. Otherwise you should get an inverter
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Appliedmaths(m): 2:00am On Jan 03, 2014
To further confuse the OP let me add my own comment. cool

Bros, I use an HP probook 4540s

4GB RAM

500GIG HDD

Core i5

Battery life of 6hrs+ when coding and 4hrs+ doing other stuffs.

Win 8.

Srs premium sound speakers(Awesome).

This lappy is the best thing I've ever come across.

Now what you should know is this.

Go for what you want, since you're into coding like me, you have to substitute graphics for speed and durability.

The dells,toshibas and co. would satisfy you graphically(P square),but performance wise(coding and running different programming tools) those lappys are dull abeg.

What I'm I saying self...core i5 and I'm complaining of graphics LOL

@OP. Get a core i5 upwards lappy. Your budget would land you a good core i5.

Hp products to avoid.

DM series

Hp comaq presario(nonsense)

DV-6(e too dey crash). To mention a few...

Top shots by HP

G6 series

Probook(like the name goes, Awesome)

Elitebook

Envy(madman grin)

Hp lappys with AMD processors crash a lot, even if na 10k; avoid them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by brainybeau(f): 2:47am On Jan 03, 2014
Op: I will recommend hp probook. I v bin using probook 4530s for three years n its yet to crash(sleek and rugged). I really don't understand negative reviews from others. Anyway I think you should read general reviews then make ur best choice, google ll help. Remember taste differs
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Appliedmaths(m): 6:13am On Jan 03, 2014
brainybeau: Op: I will recommend hp probook. I v bin using probook 4530s for three years n its yet to crash(sleek and rugged). I really don't understand negative reviews from others. Anyway I think you should read general reviews then make ur best choice, google ll help. Remember taste differs

You sabi something jare. Take 5.

1 Like

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by smajatt(m): 6:25am On Jan 03, 2014
emmatok:

LENOVO THINKPADS are the best laptops i have used.
EXPENSIVE
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by akposking(m): 6:31am On Jan 03, 2014
Ok, we would get in touch asap.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by GentleFrank(m): 6:35am On Jan 03, 2014
Nice tips !
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by GentleFrank(m): 6:36am On Jan 03, 2014
Good !
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by bayulll01(m): 6:50am On Jan 03, 2014
ok
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Obidikejr(m): 6:56am On Jan 03, 2014
Bro trust me you dont want to use Hp, you will faces issue esp screen flex and it will so frustrate you *speaking outta experience. In Hp I highly recommend pro-book and a few other versions like the envy, I dont deal much on Hp thou

1 Like

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Sammiejo: 7:06am On Jan 03, 2014
I have used almost all brands, if you are looking for affordability, durability, performance with very good specs LENOVO is tha way to go.

Yes the Think pads are expensive , check other of their models.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Nobody: 7:35am On Jan 03, 2014
emmatok:

LENOVO THINKPADS are the best laptops i have used.
exactly! My LENOVO THINKPAD has a strong built quality and it is very fast with corei7, battery last for good 15hours! And it has 3years warranty.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Samueloladapo(m): 8:28am On Jan 03, 2014
xtremrules: how much did u bought the system?

#110,000

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Nobody: 8:58am On Jan 03, 2014
Worwor: exactly! My LENOVO THINKPAD has a strong built quality and it is very fast with corei7, battery last for good 15hours! And it has 3years warranty.
how much for a new one and fairly used
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Decibel: 9:11am On Jan 03, 2014
Pls i will advise you to add some doe to wat u hv right nw and go for the latest Samsung Series9 .it has durable battery,quadcore,4-8Gb ram and genuine graphics 'cos some Hp laptops rejects some higher programs like Oracle 11g and 12c xcept it's being surrogated using Embedd linux version of such program which might not be compatible with the device. Also Lenovo is good too. You are highly welcome to the programing world.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:12am On Jan 03, 2014
Okija_juju:

I have used 3 HP Laptops in my life... Worst experience ever.

The first one I smashed after it kept crashing every 2 days..

The second one was the variant that had the finger print scanners et. al.. That one packed up in under one year and even HP Nigeria that sold me the darn thing couldn't help me out..

The third one I dashed out for similar reasons..

I would recommend a Dell anyday..

Just got a new 17.5inch Toshiba.. So far, so good.

HP is good for Desktops, but their laptops, I will never recommend to anyone..

The finishing of hp laptops is great but the battery life is so low.

Im using one right now.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Excelinpages(m): 9:12am On Jan 03, 2014
what of someone who does not have that high amount of cash.. like say i havve about 50k, what do you suggest.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by sats: 9:12am On Jan 03, 2014
hp for me ... this is the 6th year, i have changed only the keyboard, battery still lasts 2 hrs
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Nobody: 9:37am On Jan 03, 2014
Vilicious: how much for a new one and fairly used
160k undecided
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by kalunomics(m): 12:06pm On Jan 03, 2014
Worwor: 160k undecided
and fairly used?
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Nobody: 12:16pm On Jan 03, 2014
kalunomics: and fairly used?
I don't know, it should be cheaper. I don't sell laptops.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by simiolu1(m): 12:23pm On Jan 03, 2014
When it comes to buying a system (as in ur case) forget all the brands U know. Ur first constraint is ur budget and getting a brand new system with all the things U want is quite dicey. Most new laptops in that range do not have some tweaks that U may desire. I personally think U should look at some conveniences like backlit keyboard; baterry life and processor speed (the frequency at which the processor clocks i.e 1.7; 2.1, 2.4 Ghz etc) as this is what would ultimately determine processor speed. U just cant compare two different core i3s one with 1.7Ghz and d oda with 2.4 Ghz. The latter would definitely b faster. Right now; Lenovo produce rugged laptops with strong battery life. Asus is like the Apple of Windows Machine. Their devices are American specs. Dell is good too; I currently use an Inspiron N4050 and apart from a speaker that vlc busted while my bro was watching Thor 1; I haven't had issues with the system. My elder bro uses a Toshiba core i7 and with 100% battery; I would play 5 PES 14 games b4 the battery dies. And if U wanna buy used ones; I'll advice that U buy from ebay and ship into the country
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by BlogStablecom(m): 12:29pm On Jan 03, 2014
Seun: You need a first class CPU - core i7, core i5, or even core i3 - for fast compilation of Java code and quick testing of scripts.

You need to have as much RAM as possible so your system won't slow down when running IDE, browser, Apache, MySQL, etc at once.

You need a minimum of 720p resolution (1366 x 768, or 1280x800). You need the screen estate to reduce the overhead of app switching.

Your laptop should have decent battery life; at least 4 hours, so you won't be frustrated by PHCN. Otherwise you should get an inverter.

Thanks so much Master. But what do think about Acer Laptops, are they reliable?
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by miqos02(m): 12:33pm On Jan 03, 2014
Olugbenger:

HP 2000-2d07EIA, HP 2000-2d05SE, HP Pavilion 15-e000sia, HP Pavilion g6-2243cl , HP Pavilion 15-e000se

Those are the best I3 laptops available in Nigeria within that range. The Hp 2000 for as low as 71,000 to the pavilion series which is as high 85,000. The design, keyboard, speaker quality etc varies though but all of them possess at least

*500G hard disk space
*4gig RAM
*I3-3110m, almost the most powerful I3 variant. I3 differs a lot.
*Intel HD 4000, extremely good and recent intel intergrated graphics card; much more better than the previous intel HD 3000 found on some I3 variants.
*windows 8
Etc

make your choice wisely. wink
hp pavillion laptops are strictly for entertainment, hp elite or probook series are better option
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by miqos02(m): 12:35pm On Jan 03, 2014
Davo93: GOD bless you sir! I think i will be opting for one of those Pavillion series you suggested.

pls dont go for pavillion laptops, they will not serve you, i will recommend the elite book series or probook series, they are more rugged
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by BlogStablecom(m): 12:36pm On Jan 03, 2014
Okija_juju:

I have used 3 HP Laptops in my life... Worst experience ever.

The first one I smashed after it kept crashing every 2 days..

The second one was the variant that had the finger print scanners et. al.. That one packed up in under one year and even HP Nigeria that sold me the darn thing couldn't help me out..

The third one I dashed out for similar reasons..

I would recommend a Dell anyday..

Just got a new 17.5inch Toshiba.. So far, so good.

HP is good for Desktops, but their laptops, I will never recommend to anyone..

Thanks Master for your contribution; but am conpuse, oh sorry confuse I mean to say. What's your suggestion with the price range?
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by miqos02(m): 12:39pm On Jan 03, 2014
I Hate 9ja: costly but reliable
Sony Vaio.....u cant go wrong
on point, but replacement of parts is hard work
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by miqos02(m): 12:40pm On Jan 03, 2014
ice234: OPs please never buy HP... I bot mine and it clashed after 3 months. Then I when to HP service center and was told HP warrant didn't cover Nigerian sales. I had DM4.

Please. Go for anything that isn't HP.
the DM4 was a failure, i guess they tried to make a apple laptop look alike
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by BlogStablecom(m): 12:43pm On Jan 03, 2014
Seun: You need a first class CPU - core i7, core i5, or even core i3 - for fast compilation of Java code and quick testing of scripts.

Your laptop should have decent battery life; at least 4 hours, so you won't be frustrated by PHCN. Otherwise you should get an inverter.
Thanks Master Seun. But you know ci7 PC's damn expensive; I think I may have to go for ci3. But the question now is, which brand?

1 Like

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by BlogStablecom(m): 12:49pm On Jan 03, 2014
cycline404: I can strongly recommend an HP Pro Book maybe 4540s series
It is very very strong and should be okay for your proposed work.
I have a cuz also offering comp science, i am planing the ProBook for him.
Remember do not make a mistake of not buying an INTEL.
Thanks for your suggestion, my hailing to your cos.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by tim26will: 12:49pm On Jan 03, 2014
samsung NP700Z5B core i7 8gb 1tb can likely solve ur problem. you can get it at your price range.
for those of you dispersing hp laptop, its so unfortunate.
most of you make mistake of clamouring for brand new hp laptop in nigeria, unfortunately, it comes with no warranty because most new hp dedicated to nigeria market are low end manufacture in china for nigeria market only.
US used hp laptop can last you (especially probook and elitebook) 4yrs without wahala, but same brand new in nigeria can hardly last you 2yrs.
when you see a seller selling hp probook 4540s brand new for N120k and anoda is selling same for N70k, the difference in price is d cost you pay for long or short live.......

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic / Help! What Could Be Wrong With My Computer? / Boluwatife Aiki-Raji Appointed By Twitter As Lead Software Engineer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.