Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,920 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? (2002 Views)

Why Can't Single People 'Just Say No' To Married People? / Should Married Couples Have Their Separate Rooms? / Should Married People Have Access To Each-Other’s Phones? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by jnrbayano(m): 10:11am On Dec 29, 2013
I have been pondering this for a while now. And haven't come across any thread opened to answer this question. Pls feel free to contribute, couples, singles like me grin, everyone really.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by dguyindcorner(m): 10:16am On Dec 29, 2013
first to comment
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by nurey(m): 10:33am On Dec 29, 2013
As for me o I neva marry but if I do, I don't think I can allow my spouse to have access to my bank account. Even if she has kids for me. Just my own opinion
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by jnrbayano(m): 10:44am On Dec 29, 2013
nurey: As for me o I neva marry but if I do, I don't think I can allow my spouse to have access to my bank account. Even if she has kids for me. Just my own opinion

This is strange friend shocked Why won't you marry dear?
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by Nobody: 11:39am On Dec 29, 2013
If couples are truthful and committed to their relationship,i don't see why they can't access each others account.If you are married to end times spouse,please don't try it smiley.
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by Nobody: 11:42am On Dec 29, 2013
HELL NO.
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by Woged2005(f): 11:43am On Dec 29, 2013
It is not advisable especially if one is not financially responsible. There are decisions u don't take driven by sentiments and emotions. The ideal model is:

1. -20% of each person's salary - Separate accounts for their personal needs (fuel, minor car repairs, makeups, clothing, restaurants, etc)
2. -30% of each person's salary into joint family account (requires joint signatory but managed by the wife, or a stay-at-home dad) for family expenses such as feeding, bills, family supplies, house maintenance, furniture, emergencies and medicals, etc.
3. -20% of each person's salary into a long term investment account they never touch such as a fixed deposit (cannot be withdrawn)
4. -20% into a college fund, where they pool funds for the kids' education (requires joint signatory)
5. -10% for charity and donations (requires joint decision)

All other accounts require a joint decision and joint signatory except number 1. (if u're stock in the middle of the road, u don't need to have a meeting to get out money to fuel ur car). In the past, some unreasonably parties have taken undue advantage of single joint accounts to frustrate each other. Therefore, it's increasingly becoming unpopular in families.
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by Chomzy19(f): 12:59pm On Dec 29, 2013
Well It depends on d Richer party, if it's d man I'm definitely up for it grin otherwise ...
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by Chinwem(f): 1:05pm On Dec 29, 2013
Woged2005: It is not advisable especially if one is not financially responsible. There are decisions u don't take driven by sentiments and emotions. The ideal model is:

1. -20% of each person's salary - Separate accounts for their personal needs (fuel, minor car repairs, makeups, clothing, restaurants, etc)
2. -30% of each person's salary into joint family account (requires joint signatory but managed by the wife, or a stay-at-home dad) for family expenses such as feeding, bills, family supplies, house maintenance, furniture, emergencies and medicals, etc.
3. -20% of each person's salary into a long term investment account they never touch such as a fixed deposit (cannot be withdrawn)
4. -20% into a college fund, where they pool funds for the kids' education (requires joint signatory)

All other accounts require a joint decision and joint signatory except number 1. (if u're stock in the middle of the road, u don't need to have a meeting to get out money to fuel ur car). In the past, some unreasonably parties have taken undue advantage of single joint accounts to frustrate each other. Therefore, it's increasingly becoming unpopular in families.

Good idea
I ll make that 40% fixed deposit/ saving
40% joint account
20% personal account
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by Woged2005(f): 1:13pm On Dec 29, 2013
Chinwem:

Good idea
I ll make that 40% fixed deposit/ saving
40% joint account
20% personal account

I'll suggest u don't neglect 10% or more to charity. It's important to give back to the society. That's what keeps US and other developed countries richly blessed - Charities (people giving back to the society through foundations, NGOs, donations, and volunteer opportunities). Unfortunately, in Africa people setup businesses & churches milking these good-hearted people with frivolous NGOs and requests for donations. Well, you can see who is on top. The givers have remained on top for years because the hands that give will always remain on top of the hand that receives.

2 Likes

Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by jnrbayano(m): 1:56pm On Dec 29, 2013
byvan: If couples are truthful and committed to their relationship,i don't see why they can't access each others account.If you are married to end times spouse,please don't try it smiley.

I see a point in ur post but being committed these days is a little far-fetched....
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by jnrbayano(m): 1:57pm On Dec 29, 2013
iyke926: HELL NO.

May I know why?
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by jnrbayano(m): 1:59pm On Dec 29, 2013
Chomzy19: Well It depends on d Richer party, if it's d man I'm definitely up for it grin otherwise ...

Choi! "The love of money..............." I believe u can complete it..

grin grin
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by jnrbayano(m): 2:04pm On Dec 29, 2013
Woged2005: It is not advisable especially if one is not financially responsible. There are decisions u don't take driven by sentiments and emotions. The ideal model is:

Salient points...
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 29, 2013
Far fetched,maybe but some are still committed like that.
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by bukatyne(f): 3:34pm On Dec 29, 2013
Permission to adopt your model? cheesy cheesy

Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Dec 29, 2013
They should, in case of emergency. That's why they are married, they should plan together.
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by Woged2005(f): 3:49pm On Dec 29, 2013
bukatyne: Permission to adopt your model? cheesy cheesy

Permission granted! As long as it works for ur family's goal.
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 29, 2013
One size doesn't fit ALL.

Nuff said.
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by LewsTherin: 6:00pm On Dec 29, 2013
Different strokes for different folks.

Are you responsible with your spouse's finances? If not, don't expect your spouse to be responsible to yours.

My Lady and I do all things together. Our pay goes into the same account to which we both have stand-alone access. But our responsibility to each other has ensured no friction for the three years we've been married.

So, to each his own.

1 Like

Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by jaz(m): 7:42pm On Dec 29, 2013
I am so free with my wife. she has access to all my passwords and codes even ATM online banking etc. the theory is 'she ruins me, she ruins her family even her children'
all d serious cash we make from the biz she's handling for us goes into my account while may monthly pay goes to my salary account. shes even more prudent than I am being an accountant by training.
guys always remember not to keep evil tots against ur spouse.

1 Like

Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by bukatyne(f): 10:02pm On Dec 29, 2013
Woged2005:

Permission granted! As long as it works for ur family's goal.

Thanks kiss

Will discuss it with him when next we see kiss kiss
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by MMotimo: 3:11am On Dec 30, 2013
Should they? Depends on whom you married
As for me, I 100% believe they should unless one or both of them cannot (for whatever reason) be trusted with access
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by pickabeau1: 8:38am On Dec 30, 2013
byvan: If couples are truthful and committed to their relationship,i don't see why they can't access each others account.If you are married to end times spouse,please don't try it smiley.

This got me laffing....

Post..This topic has many variants on the family sekson.. search
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by halle2: 6:54pm On Dec 30, 2013
In the absence of financial irresponsibility, I do not see anything wrong with having unrestricted access to bank accounts/finances. What is this money money money people are so protective about? the same money that you will leave behind when you go six feet under and by then, you would not have control over who spends it and how....

Two years ago, when I wanted to travel abroad to have a baby, because I was going to be away for a while,out of my own volition,I transferred all my cash to our joint account and changed the mandate to 'ANY CAN SIGN'. Meaning that if he decided to clear the account while I was away, he could. I really don't care.

1 Like

Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by dad007(m): 7:29pm On Dec 30, 2013
I dont have joint account with my wife,but my ATM card is always with her to use.
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by greatgod2012(f): 9:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
Why not? Unless one of them has proved not to be trusted with such thing.
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by jnrbayano(m): 5:06am On Dec 31, 2013
iyke926: HELL NO.

Why "HELL NO" and not "HEAVEN YES?"
grin

1 Like

Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Dec 31, 2013
Yes I can no big deal but if she misuses the opportunity then I will deny the access.
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by Eisenhower(m): 7:56pm On Dec 31, 2013
jaz: I am so free with my wife. she has access to all my passwords and codes even ATM online banking etc. the theory is 'she ruins me, she ruins her family even her children'
all d serious cash we make from the biz she's handling for us goes into my account while may monthly pay goes to my salary account. shes even more prudent than I am being an accountant by training.
jaz: I am so free with my wife. she has access to all my passwords and codes even ATM online banking etc. the theory is 'she ruins me, she ruins her family even her children'
; I love your last line. The biggest problem is evil thought against the spouse thats why all this excuses why they can't do things jointly.
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by jnrbayano(m): 8:12pm On Aug 14, 2014
faakay: Yes I can no big deal but if she misuses the opportunity then I will deny the access.

What exactly will you adjudge to be a misuse crime on her part?
Re: Should Married People Have Access To Each-other’s Bank Account? by jnrbayano(m): 9:28am On Mar 12, 2015
greatgod2012:
Why not? Unless one of them has proved not to be trusted with such thing.

How?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Spend So Much On Burial? / A man killed his beautiful wife / Help! I'm Stranded

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.