Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,971 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics (60708 Views)

KAI & LASTMA Officials Drive Branded Cars (pics) / PHOTOS: Nigerian Made "Flying Car" Seen In Lagos Metropolis / Picture Of Another Nigerian Made Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by Beennkumar(m): 5:36pm On Dec 30, 2013
Lord Centurion:

Yez, if you wish, am gonna appreciate it
That's nice. I'm impressed. cheesy
Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by wogorparadise: 5:38pm On Dec 30, 2013
Its been long nairaland made me laugh lik des, the op is jst using ur heads yet no one is askin for the source
Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by nduchucks: 5:43pm On Dec 30, 2013
daz_york:
He is not ignorant, I repeat. He is deliberately telling lies! He said "why allow govt cronies to IMPORT brand new cars"? This, despite the title of the thread and the policy it references being about assembling or manufacturing cars in Nigeria. So how can one import a new vehicle into Nigeria and at the same time assemble or manufacture it in Nigeria?
Which one is it?

So you can see these are not your ordinary Nairaland dum dums, these guys are sophisticated liars and internet propagandists and you need to analyse their posts and take them on with all seriousness. The fate of Nigeria can rest on how well you destroy their points because if you allow even the tiniest lie of theirs to get through unopposed to infect the psyche of the general public viewing Nairaland, it could become a case of the lie being repeated often enough to become accepted as true.
These people are paid posters, they are not ordinary fo.ols.

I suppose you are ignorant of the fact that the Feds plan to increase tariffs on imported cars by 250% and they claim that this will help bolster the auto manufacturing industry. It is very reasonable to encourage the Automobile manufacturing (assembly) industry by incentivizing them with grants, even tax incentives, and other effective means. No one objects to that. What is objectionable is the abrupt increase in tariff on import cars by 250% at the expense of thousands ofNigerians who will lose their livelihoods because of the act. The impending increase in tariff is outright dumb.

3 Likes

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 30, 2013
adconline:
because u don't have the brain to grasp common sense. Tata, Scion, skoda and chinese brands are going to be imported. Keke Napep is made by Bajaj of India. Why impose high tariff on tukonboh and allow their cronies to import brand new cars? How many public official are going to get import waivers to import cars of their choice? Does living in Naija negate common sense?
I didn't know that the policies of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, a country of 180 million people with a land mass of 993,000 sq. km must apply to every government official before the public. Even assuming that every public official in Nigeria gets an import waiver (which is impossible), what difference does that make to the large amount of ongoing capital flight that will be stopped if most ordinary people buy vehicles which are assembled or manufactured here?
Did they teach you economics in secondary school at all?
How does a developing economy import its way to development? What kind of juju economics are you even proposing? Nigeria should stay exactly the way it is, losing more than $4bn yearly to vehicle importation and then what exactly? The jobs for the millions of unemployed youths will drop from the sky? You people are just ridiculous and beyond help.

1 Like

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by Truckpusher(m): 5:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
daz_york:
Don't mind him, he knows the truth. He is deliberately posting lies and mockery to contribute to a scenario where the new policy will be shelved due to being 'unpopular'.

There are many Nigerians on here who make noise about how they want Nigeria to get better and how "our leaders" are Satan the Devil etc etc, but as soon as one of these leaders does something to improve Nigeria which threatens their own individual stomach, you see this sort of horrible, despicable behaviour come out.

But the truth is that Nigeria is now on the road to greatness, regardless of who is in power or whose interests are hurt. You can't stop the other 180 million of us from progressing. One by one, all of you sewer rats who just want the country to remain stuck in the same pot because you benefit from it; one by one, you will all lose your livelihoods so that millions of us can gain ours.
You are not bigger than a whole country.
Just wait and see.
I use to meet a lot of those rats here and the moment you leave them to pull through with their falsehood you have no idea the innocent unsuspecting Nigerians they can discourage and turn them against their own country and govt.

The truth is, they'll be the first set of people to use Nigeria's image to get a better deal wherever they go, if this sleeping giant called Nigeria should wake up from her slumber.

I have always come to learn the bitter truth that this our generation was part of the generations to build a better Nigeria
We'll never enjoy this country at least not like what they have in Europe or in the US , but we must build with our sweat ,blood and tears a country that other generations to come can be proud of.

Nigeria is passing through a phase, either to fail woefully or grow in strength; militarily and economically and the joke is on us ......if you can't be part of the building process pack your load and go. grin
Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by Nobody: 5:47pm On Dec 30, 2013
ndu_chucks:

I suppose you are ignorant of the fact that the Feds plan to increase tariffs on imported cars by 250% and they claim that this will help bolster the auto manufacturing industry. It is very reasonable to encourage the Automobile manufacturing (assembly) industry by incentivizing them with grants, even tax incentives, and other effective means. No one objects to that. What is objectionable is the abrupt increase in tariff on import cars by 250% at the expense of thousands ofNigerians who will lose their livelihoods because of the act. The impending increase in tariff is outright dumb.
Keep your poor guesses to yourself Mr Used Car Dealer. I am perfectly informed with regard to this new policy and I am 100% in support of it. If thousands of Nigerians lose their livelihoods because of it, hundreds of thousands, and even millions will gain a livelihood they currently don't have. I know to the Archetypal Selfish Black Man like you, your individual stomach is the greatest issue facing mankind, but fortunately for the rest of us, your stomach is going to have to be sacrificed for the greater good.
Get that into your head.

2 Likes

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by Nobody: 5:49pm On Dec 30, 2013
adconline:
It's stupid folks like u that don't get it. Where are local manufacturer? None! These cars must be imported. Naija does not have power and technical skills to build cars. How many companies in Naija are making suspension system, struts, shock, brake systems and body parts? How many companies in Naija are making Kek Napep? None! How many companies are making motorcycles?
Since u r talking economics, Naija does not even have any comparative advantage in building cars.. Don't if u know what that means.. Google is ur best friend. Why is it that Toyota Nigeria Ltd, the largest car company in Naija, is not manufacturing but imports from RSA/UAE?

And your point is? In order to get around any deficiency in manufacturing ability or technical know how that we have, we should do what? Continue importing 3rd or 4th hand rubbish from more developed countries?
Er, isn't that what we're currently doing? How, pray tell, is it helping us?!
What on earth are you people even proposing??

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by Nobody: 5:50pm On Dec 30, 2013
This is going to be my 1st and last warning.

Please obey the rules and regulation of Nairaland and cartalk section. Pls DON'T post durogatory or insultive comments, DON'T derail this thread, DON'T post affiliate links and adverts etc to prevent your post from being hidden and you earning a ban.

Thanks for your cooperation,

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by adconline(m): 5:58pm On Dec 30, 2013
daz_york:
I didn't know that the policies of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, a country of 180 million people with a land mass of 993,000 sq. km must apply to every government official before the public. Even assuming that every public official in Nigeria gets an import waiver (which is impossible), what difference does that make to the large amount of ongoing capital flight that will be stopped if most ordinary people buy vehicles which are assembled or manufactured here?
Did they teach you economics in secondary school at all?
How does a developing economy import its way to development? What kind of juju economics are you even proposing? Nigeria should stay exactly the way it is, losing more than $4bn yearly to vehicle importation and then what exactly? The jobs for the millions of unemployed youths will drop from the sky? You people are just ridiculous and beyond help.
U failed to add 180m with 3000 MW of electricity wants to build cars without electrifying the whole country.
180m folks but there is no university witn automotive engineering course offering

Do you know what it takes to build car? Now, many Naija companies are making drivetrain pairs like driving shaft, suspension system, struts, caliper linkage system, body parts?

Where is the steel industry to supply needed rolled and processed sheet of metals?

2 Likes

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by Nobody: 6:01pm On Dec 30, 2013
adconline:
U failed to add 180m with 3000 MW of electricity wants to build cars without electrifying the whole country.
180m folks but there is no university witn automotive engineering course offering

Do you know what it takes to build car? Now, many Naija companies are making drivetrain pairs like driving shaft, suspension system, struts, caliper linkage system, body parts?

Where is the steel industry to supply needed rolled and processed sheet of metals?

And how will those industries come into being without there being a demand for them? Why would anybody need to produce drive shafts in Nigeria if we just import our vehicles from elsewhere?
You see how you are arguing yourself into a corner?

1 Like

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by Nobody: 6:02pm On Dec 30, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Please do not decieve people with misinformation. Here is a brand new Kia Picanto which hit the UK for £10.245, yet you want us to believe that it starts at N1.179,000. Do you think that the car companies are in business to do Nigerians a favour by selling cars to them at cost or lower?

You see, if the Kia Picanto is sold at the price you quoted, the car must have been stripped of safty features, comfort features, and made of materials which will scatter upon a major accident - materia which would be closer to plastic than the typical material used for real Kia Picanto.

If you doubt what I am saying, go to any Nigerian dealership, say a Honda dealership, and take a look at the Dubai imported or South Africa assembled cars and compare to a Tokunbo and the difference will be clear.

Trust me, when the manufacturers tell you that they are tropicalizing their cars for the Nigerian marker, they mean stripping them of safety features and reducing quality significantly.

What you'll get for N1.2million cannot be very safe cars. What the government should be promoting is true manufacturing, i. e. from scratch. They should be encouraging our Engineers to design great products, give us uninterruptible power, and most of all, jump start Ajaokuta so that we can at least, manufacture a single nail from scratch!!

Here is the £10.245 Kia Picanto:

Trust me, this is not what you will get for N1.18million in Nigeria.

I don't know what the Picanto goes for in the UK but I imagine the cost varies from what obtains in the Nigerian market. Several factors are to be considered. For instance, Elizade sells brand new Toyotas from the manufacturers in Durban and the price and specs are different from what one would find in the USA for example. Anyway, I patronize Dana motors and I know what the rates are, you can get current price lists online to confirm. With £10, 245 ( about N2, 561, 250)you get a Rio (auto) wIth change, I got a cerato (auto, alloy wheels, 1.6l), last month for N3, 450, 000 after vat! I doubt you could get one in the UK for £13, 800.

1 Like

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by nduchucks: 6:12pm On Dec 30, 2013
daz_york:
Keep your poor guesses to yourself Mr Used Car Dealer. I am perfectly informed with regard to this new policy and I am 100% in support of it. If thousands of Nigerians lose their livelihoods because of it, hundreds of thousands, and even millions will gain a livelihood they currently don't have. I know to the Archetypal Selfish Black Man like you, your individual stomach is the greatest issue facing mankind, but fortunately for the rest of us, your stomach is going to have to be sacrificed for the greater good.
Get that into your head.

Talk to me as a reasonable adult here. Why do you think that a 250% increase in tariffs is necessary to support an automobile manufacturing (assembly) industry which is still in its infancy and why couldn't tariffs be introduced gradually, if they think it is absolutely necessary? If indeed quality new cars can be assembled and sold for N1.2million, why not let these cars compete in the open market for market share? Please answer these questions honestly and lets discuss the merits of the 250% increase in tariffs.

Mind you, I support the government's efforts at encouraging these assembly plants. I hope you can educate me on why the new tariff is justified.

2 Likes

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by adconline(m): 6:12pm On Dec 30, 2013
daz_york:

And how will those industries come into being without there being a demand for them? Why would anybody need to produce drive shafts in Nigeria if we just import our vehicles from elsewhere?
You see how you are arguing yourself into a corner?
U still don't get it. U don't start of making cars when u can't provide your population with electricity, education and infrastructure. It takes decades of planning and investment in public infrastructure to attract car manufacturing. Car manufacturing has 2 major components: powertrain and drivetrain. Powertrain involves engines while drivetrain involves suspension and driveshaft. Naija can focus on drivetrain components and body parts which have have been cornered by Chines, Taiwanese and Mexicans, then work towards making powertrain. China auto industry still lags behind Korea and Japan.. It's called comparative advantage!

1 Like

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by badmussy(m): 6:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
I think the understanding of People is either anti-FG or Pro-FG.

Import Duties is usually meant to encourage local production and not kickstart it. There is a difference beyond duality in Encouraging and Discouraging. If you are discouraging importation, it does not directly imply you are encouraging local production. In simple term, if after the tariff introduction, the prices of locally produced and imported are at par, then what happens. Many manufacturers in Nigeria keep complaining imported competition, yet, there is duty on them.

I strongly believe that the government needs to encourage local production first, before raising Duties. A basic one is tyres. No car should be imported into Nigeria with Tyres. That will help our tyre producing business (I believe we have Dunlop and probably Michelin for that). Then, we go windscreens. Oluwaglass and probably Frigoglass will see a market.

Raising Duties to 250% without commiserate activity by government to improve this sector is only a Joke. Nigerians are survivors and we will survive; Smuggling will become viable again. I am not very sure that a big car manufacturer will come to Nigeria to produce cars for the Nigerian market only. I wonder where we were when Toyota went to South Africa and UAE. Having another Toyota Manufacturing Hub in Nigeria is not very viable for me. So, I am ruling them out. The relatively smaller manufacturing companies from Europe and Asia could be approached like the Mazda, Nissan, Geely, etc. The cost of producing for only the local market will make the prices of the car exorbitant.

If the government is not taking a strategic approach to this, I think it will NOT bring the expected results.

3 Likes

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by adconline(m): 6:18pm On Dec 30, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Talk to me as a reasonable adult here. Why do you think that a 250% increase in tariffs is necessary to support an automobile manufacturing (assembly) industry which is still in its infancy and why couldn't tariffs be introduced gradually, if they think it is absolutely necessary? If indeed quality new cars can be assembled and sold for N1.2million, why not let these cars compete in the open market for market share? Please answer these questions honestly and lets discuss the merits of the 250% increase in tariffs.

Mind you, I support the government's efforts at encouraging these assembly plants. I hope you can educate me on why the new tariff is justified.
C
They won't answe u. Why is Toyota the best selling brand in Naija. They sold about 20k new units this year. How many Picantos sold? How many Tatas? The policy is more likely to favor foreign companies than Nigerians since Naija does not manufacture cars.

1 Like

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by adconline(m): 6:25pm On Dec 30, 2013
Raggedy_Ann:

I don't know what the Picanto goes for in the UK but I imagine the cost varies from what obtains in the Nigerian market. Several factors are to be considered. For instance, Elizade sells brand new Toyotas from the manufacturers in Durban and the price and specs are different from what one would find in the USA for example. Anyway, I patronize Dana motors and I know what the rates are, you can get current price lists online to confirm. With £10, 245 ( about N2, 561, 250)you get a Rio (auto) wIth change, I got a cerato (auto, alloy wheels, 1.6l), last month for N3, 450, 000 after vat! I doubt you could get one in the UK for £13, 800.
But Dana Cerato comes with an airbag or no air bag. Also, Dana Cerato has only D, N, P while EU/US standard would D1, D, N,P with at least 4 airbags . Don't even talk about crash testing!
Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by musiwa112: 6:29pm On Dec 30, 2013
nigeria have been making cars for more than 30 years. nigeria makes several cars before... i dont know about now.. many years ago.. nigeria made its owns cars.
making less than 200,000 cars for 200 million people .. they have to import.. 99% of its cars are imported.

made in nigeria.

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by Smooyis(m): 6:37pm On Dec 30, 2013
Fresh 'hair'. Lol
Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by adconline(m): 6:46pm On Dec 30, 2013
musiwa112: nigeria have been making cars for more than 30 years. nigeria makes several cars before... i dont know about now.. many years ago.. nigeria made its owns cars.
making less than 200,000 cars for 200 million people .. they have to import.. 99% of its cars are imported.

made in nigeria.

Stupidity powered by satellite pics. France is not Nigeria

1 Like

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by ShadyNji: 6:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
satysaca: The national assembly has stopped the proposed plan by fed. Govt so we can be buying our cars as usual.
Source?
Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by Nobody: 7:01pm On Dec 30, 2013
adconline:
But Dana Cerato comes with an airbag or no air bag. Also, Dana Cerato has only D, N, P while EU/US standard would D1, D, N,P with at least 4 airbags . Don't even talk about crash testing!

The point is the cars are already popular in Nigeria and they are nothing like those go-carts shown in the original post. Korean cars focus on affordability while not compromising on the aesthetics. It doesn't do too badly for safety either, I was in an accident early this year - A collision with a flatbed trailer on the PH-Owerri road, you wouldn't believe it! The trailer crashed into my sIde, ran off the road toppled over while I got off better than anyone could have expected ( the traIler drIver was shocked). It does okay on impact, definitely not as good as the German cars but that's why they cater to different markets.

The 1m-1.2m is only the cheapest range, I'm fairly certain the brand would assemble cars that are more expensive and that would offer more luxury for those who can afford them.
Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by lohvang4: 7:40pm On Dec 30, 2013
Most of the people laughing at the govt effort to have made-in-Nigeria vehicles are either ignorant or deceitfully-wicked! These same people complain of no job, no industry, no money. Yet they want Nigerians to continue these consumption-economy that our useless rulers have established. Check out the video of Innosson Motor vehicle manufacturing plant and i am very proud to be a Nigerian. With people like Mr. Innosson who has no master in economy or military connections to have pull off this stunt, Nigeria is due for greatness. If the tariff increase is implemented, more of such vehicle manufacturing companies would spring up in no time. Mahatma Gandhi did more than increase tariff, India stopped living on imported goods. Any country that import its food, vehicles, clothing, has no future!
We Yoruba better shut out traps and roll our sleeves up. The Ibos are very smart people with great sense of business and resilience of a go-getter. If with all our so-called education, all we can do is hate GEJ and rant online while the Ibos are building cars, trucks, buses, then we're in for a rude shock. My friend left Onitsha by 8am this morning and got to Lagos before 2pm. I remember vividly during one ex-president, going to the east is through night bus. Lagos-Benin is a whole day journey. I boarded a bus in Benin by 8am and got to Lagos by 6pm. This happened in 2006.
I've told my friends in Channels TV to leave politics sensational news and go round the country and show us people like Innosson Motor Vehicles Manufacturing, people making effort to see Nigeria great!

1 Like

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 30, 2013
Do these people think the car would make sales at all. They Can't even couple up a two door car. This is no 18 cuntury. Nigeria need to wake up mehn.
Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by agabaI23(m): 7:52pm On Dec 30, 2013
lohvang4: Most of the people laughing at the govt effort to have made-in-Nigeria vehicles are either ignorant or deceitfully-wicked! These same people complain of no job, no industry, no money. Yet they want Nigerians to continue these consumption-economy that our useless rulers have established. Check out the video of Innosson Motor vehicle manufacturing plant and i am very proud to be a Nigerian. With people like Mr. Innosson who has no master in economy or military connections to have pull off this stunt, Nigeria is due for greatness. If the tariff increase is implemented, more of such vehicle manufacturing companies would spring up in no time. Mahatma Gandhi did more than increase tariff, India stopped living on imported goods. Any country that import its food, vehicles, clothing, has no future!
We Yoruba better shut out traps and roll our sleeves up. The Ibos are very smart people with great sense of business and resilience of a go-getter. If with all our so-called education, all we can do is hate GEJ and rant online while the Ibos are building cars, trucks, buses, then we're in for a rude shock. My friend left Onitsha by 8am this morning and got to Lagos before 2pm. I remember vividly during one ex-president, going to the east is through night bus. Lagos-Benin is a whole day journey. I boarded a bus in Benin by 8am and got to Lagos by 6pm. This happened in 2006.
I've told my friends in Channels TV to leave politics sensational news and go round the country and show us people like Innosson Motor Vehicles Manufacturing, people making effort to see Nigeria great!
Most of those criticizing this move are the same people who see nothing good in GEJ led government. If this initiative was introduced by an APC led government they would've praised it to high heavens!

1 Like

Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by kingsmecca(m): 8:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
Which road will these small cars apply? All these pot whole roads? FG think please.
Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by Nobody: 8:06pm On Dec 30, 2013
@OP

I can see the reason why you find the environmentally friendly cars boring is that there is no good driving laws in Nigeria. Nobody seems to follow or enforce the rules. If not, it is in the best interest of Nigerians to adopt these cars. It can as well reduce Ghastly accident within the city roads.

Thank you.
Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by donluclay(m): 8:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
Are these ones for our NIGERIAN ROADS?? shocked
Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by Nobody: 8:15pm On Dec 30, 2013
Time will tell....
Re: First Potential Look At The N1.2million Nigerian Made Cars - Pics by KrisJay(f): 8:18pm On Dec 30, 2013
Problem we have in nigeria, is unaccepatability of our own product. Go through this link www.innosonivm.com/en/ProductList.Asp
And see for yourself vehicles that are manufactured on nigeria. For me, let the car policy take effect, it will creat Jobs. If national assembly is Honest to Nigerian, they should pass. Death sentence punishment to corruption.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Hyundai Kona: Nigeria Unveils First Locally-Assembled Electric Car (Photos) / The N500 Million Mercedes Benz G63 AMG Limo (photos) / ₦70M Mercedes Maybach Goes Up In Flames (Pictures, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.