Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,341 members, 7,815,682 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

(picture) Itobe-ajaokuta Niger Bridge To Collapse Anytime Soon. (picture) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / (picture) Itobe-ajaokuta Niger Bridge To Collapse Anytime Soon. (picture) (4759 Views)

PHOTO: Tamburawa Bridge In Kano About To Collapse / Why Ajaokuta Steel Company Won’t Function Immediately – Minister / Okonjo-iweala Connived With World Bank, IMF To Write Off Ajaokuta Steel Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

(picture) Itobe-ajaokuta Niger Bridge To Collapse Anytime Soon. (picture) by Nobody: 1:50pm On Dec 30, 2013
For those who do not know; The Itobe-Ajaokuta Niger bridge connects and serves as a link between the Southeast, South-South, part of Southwest, and part of the Middle belt with the Federal Capital Territory (Abuja).
It also serves as an access route through which raw materials and finished goods comes in and goes out to and fro the Ajaokuta steel company.
While travelling home for the festive period, upon reaching the Bridge, I noticed a very long traffic jam, I initially thought it was all these fulani crossing with their cows until I got there and to my surprise, the road diversion was caused by a wide gap in one of the joints that holds the bridge together.
And as it stands, if urgent measures aren't taken, the bridge will collapse sooner.

It's a pity that those who are supposed to maintain it are stark, inhumane illiterates.

I would have provided more pictures, but unfortunately, the one below was the only one I could capture, cos the soldiers controlling the traffic as a result of diversion won't let any vehicle to stop.

1 Like

Re: (picture) Itobe-ajaokuta Niger Bridge To Collapse Anytime Soon. (picture) by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 30, 2013
What exactly does this picture depict? You are expressing the deplorable state of a bridge with a pic that can't show what you are saying. Add more pics jor.

2 Likes

Re: (picture) Itobe-ajaokuta Niger Bridge To Collapse Anytime Soon. (picture) by Nobody: 2:19pm On Dec 30, 2013
banttieman: What exactly does this picture depict? You are expressing the deplorable state of a bridge with a pic that can't show what you are saying. Add more pics jor.

Unfortunately, there are no more pictures of it on my phone.
I wanted my brother to stop so I could take more pictures, but the soldiers controlling the traffic won't allow for that.
Re: (picture) Itobe-ajaokuta Niger Bridge To Collapse Anytime Soon. (picture) by Nobody: 5:10pm On Dec 30, 2013
Lemme explain a little bit of engineering to you...the wide gap you see there is common in all bridges.

REASON: when it is hot, the tar and metal used in building the bridge expands, when it is cold it contracts. If the gap isnt there, the metal and tar may cause the bridge to warp.

That is why you notice a bump every time you get on a bridge and you leave the bridge.

Therefore, it is perfectly normal for bridges to have gaps. The bridge is not collapsing based on the evidence you posted. The engineers should only have put a metal to cover that hole, so vehicle dont have to slow down too much to pass through.

Source: Secondary school geography class
Re: (picture) Itobe-ajaokuta Niger Bridge To Collapse Anytime Soon. (picture) by Abbey2sam(m): 5:37pm On Dec 30, 2013
emmy-richie:
For those who do not know; The Itobe-Ajaokuta Niger bridge connects and serves as a link between the Southeast, South-South, part of Southwest, and part of the Middle belt with the Federal Capital Territory (Abuja).
It also serves as an access route through which raw materials and finished goods comes in and goes out to and fro the Ajaokuta steel company.
While travelling home for the festive period, upon reaching the Bridge, I noticed a very long traffic jam, I initially thought it was all these fulani crossing with their cows until I got there and to my surprise, the road diversion was caused by a wide gap in one of the joints that holds the bridge together.
And as it stands, if urgent measures aren't taken, the bridge will collapse sooner.

It's a pity that those who are supposed to maintain it are stark, inhumane illiterates.

This op is foolish, is that the only picture you have as proof?

More picture or the bridge is not collapsing
Re: (picture) Itobe-ajaokuta Niger Bridge To Collapse Anytime Soon. (picture) by Excelinpages(m): 7:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
i myself have been across that road several times this year, more than ten times. while the gap spoken of earlier on is true and expansion may widen because of the heat in Kogi state. i must mention still that the bridge needs to be looked at and some works done otherwise the inevitable will happen.
Re: (picture) Itobe-ajaokuta Niger Bridge To Collapse Anytime Soon. (picture) by Nobody: 9:31pm On Dec 30, 2013
Abbey2sam:

This op is foolish, is that the only picture you have as proof?

More picture or the bridge is not collapsing

I will gain nothing from insulting you back. Though I can give a lethal dose of what you asked for, but it'll be better if I ignored you.

Like I said, the soldiers won't let anybody stop cos it will further worsen the traffic jam.
I only took the above picture while we were on the move.
Next time, try to follow previous comments before you type.

Happy new year in advance.
Re: (picture) Itobe-ajaokuta Niger Bridge To Collapse Anytime Soon. (picture) by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 30, 2013
These OP dey craze!

The OP knows that once you bring a topic of any falling bridge connecting southeast, it will hit front-page.

Imagine a thread of a bridge collapsing and all i see is the picture of my balcony.

No source sef.

Mukina2, over to you. Front-page things joorh. Na one bridge wey connect to south-east.

Mscheeeeeeeeew!
Re: (picture) Itobe-ajaokuta Niger Bridge To Collapse Anytime Soon. (picture) by Nobody: 10:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
nwanna89: Lemme explain a little bit of engineering to you...the wide gap you see there is common in all bridges.

REASON: when it is hot, the tar and metal used in building the bridge expands, when it is cold it contracts. If the gap isnt there, the metal and tar may cause the bridge to warp.

That is why you notice a bump every time you get on a bridge and you leave the bridge.

Therefore, it is perfectly normal for bridges to have gaps. The bridge is not collapsing based on the evidence you posted. The engineers should only have put a metal to cover that hole, so vehicle dont have to slow down too much to pass through.

Source: Secondary school geography class

Sir!

I know it's normal for such gaps to be on bridges.
Bridges have gaps so that when it gets hot
or cold, there is space for the road to expand
or contract without cracking.

If you had seen the state of things on the road for yourself, you'd think of having it fixed too.

Mr. I too know! What's the essence of a road if vehicles can't pass/move on it?

Lest I forget, before you deceive people about the secondary school Geography lie of the century, the frivolous ish you typed up there isn't in any secondary school Geography textbook that I know of.

For your info, I have a B.sc in Geography and Planning. (2008)
Re: (picture) Itobe-ajaokuta Niger Bridge To Collapse Anytime Soon. (picture) by Nobody: 10:15pm On Dec 30, 2013
babyface333: These This OP dey craze!

The OP knows that once you bring a topic of any falling bridge connecting southeast, it will hit front-page.

Imagine a thread of a bridge collapsing and all i see is the picture of my balcony.

No source sef.

Mukina2, over to you. Front-page things joorh. Na one bridge wey connect to south-east.

Mscheeeeeeeeew!

If only you could open the eyes of your mind and do away with this blind hating of yours, it will do you lots of favour.

My aim of opening this thread is to try and see if I could reach appropriate authorities responsible for maintaining the bridge to try and fix the open death trap on that bridge.

It is our collective responsibility to do that.

Maybe you aren't even a Nigerian.

And note that "This" is singular and "These" is plural.
I just fixed your error. Thank me later.
Re: (picture) Itobe-ajaokuta Niger Bridge To Collapse Anytime Soon. (picture) by Nobody: 9:08am On Dec 31, 2013
emmy-richie:

Unfortunately, there are no more pictures of it on my phone.
I wanted my brother to stop so I could take more pictures, but the soldiers controlling the traffic won't allow for that.

Okay, but I really don't see a thing in this pic, I think that gap I see is normal for water drainage.
Re: (picture) Itobe-ajaokuta Niger Bridge To Collapse Anytime Soon. (picture) by Nobody: 9:30am On Dec 31, 2013
banttieman:

Okay, but I really don't see a thing in this pic, I think that gap I see is normal for water drainage.

Truth is, vehicles can't move across that gap, hence, the diversionary measure by the motorists and the soldiers.

Happy 2014 in advance.
Re: (picture) Itobe-ajaokuta Niger Bridge To Collapse Anytime Soon. (picture) by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:43am On Dec 31, 2013
emmy-richie:

If only you could open the eyes of your mind and do away with this blind hating of yours, it will do you lots of favour.

My aim of opening this thread is to try and see if I could reach appropriate authorities responsible for maintaining the bridge to try and fix the open death trap on that bridge.

It is our collective responsibility to do that.

Maybe you aren't even a Nigerian.

And note that "This" is singular and "These" is plural.
I just fixed your error. Thank me later.

Can an original poster be plural? In my humble opinion, 'This' is correct
Re: (picture) Itobe-ajaokuta Niger Bridge To Collapse Anytime Soon. (picture) by Nobody: 10:04am On Dec 31, 2013
GeneralShepherd:

Can an original poster be plural? In my humble opinion, 'This' is correct

I forgot to input the right one after identifying the error, but that's fixed already.

Thanks.

(1) (Reply)

What I Saw Today On A Facebook Group (Pic) / Breaking News- “akpabio Stops Buhari’s Visit” / No Light: Someone Is Already Slamming President Buhari’s Government – Lol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.