Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,672 members, 7,823,898 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth (55173 Views)

Sex After Child Birth / Share Your Child Birth Experience / Amazing Child Birth Stories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by world(f): 8:57pm On Jan 01, 2014
Am babysitting on my own n am just few weeks postpartum...how do sit bath, birth my baby, take care of my body m stomach...pls mothers help here...my mother n mother in law r NT available, they r out of d state... so I n my husband are in dis alone..until dey return...

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by feeekey(f): 10:13pm On Jan 01, 2014
Hot water.hot tea for d next one month make sure u don't take cold tins even food,tie ur stomach after bath,get a paint bucket put a few drops of dettol and hot water into into it nd sit on it cover urself up wit a towel so dt d steam wil penetrate well.ur hussy can do moppin wit a piece of towel and som hot water not too hot to avoid a cooked stomach.
Bathing ur baby shld start frm d head put one leg in d bath with d baby on ur lap restin his bak on ur arm wash d head backwards so dt d soap water/lather doesn't get to his eyes den rinse head bakwards nd gently too den d face can be rinsed wit som water after which u can wash d rest of d bodi not forgettin d hidden areas like d nek,armpit and d lower parts.ALL D BEST any oda person in d house mayb I'm missin somtin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by luvablesam(m): 10:40pm On Jan 01, 2014
Since no one wants to answer ur questions ,let me take this on.....mind u am a guy n I av a little experience.....first of all,I would strongly recommend that u don't bathe ur baby urself since its ur first time. though u said ur mum n in-law aren't around,I think u shld get an older woman with lots of experience to do the bathing.
...could be a neighbour, from ur church or an advanced nurse in d hospital u do ur anti-natal at the moment(make sure u like d person n u guys get along well).....be present at every bathing section to learn n help at the same time o(don't forget to arrange a token as gratitude to d person often).......At this point always be willing to learn.....ask questions when the person baths ur baby

About ur stomach,at the moment I know u mite av started aving stretchmarks......its simple,just buy shear butter(mankede,oori or okume as it mite be called locally) kip it in a container n rub it faintly or generously after every bathe to prevent the stretch marks from growing or staying permanently...... After giving birth too, don't allow anyone use hot water to press ur stomach so dat ur stomach would reduce....it wud only give u rinkles(this would make stomach look older than ur face in no time)....just do VERY light exercises n rub ur shear butter after every shower...with time,ur stomach would get back into shape ITSELF

if u av tears after GIVING BIRTH....make sure that u are sewn up properly n take anti-biotics as at when due......U wud be fine.....don't EVER panic during labor....

N.B...Am not a nurse or Doctor....just a concerned Male Nairalander

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by lolaluv1(f): 10:47pm On Jan 01, 2014
Sorry, new momma. I dont have any experience bathing a child. Hope you don't feel overwhelmed. Wish you the very best....
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by MMotimo: 11:21pm On Jan 01, 2014
For your body, don't go buying new clothes in your current post-childbirth size. Work on losing the extra weight first otherwise you will get comfortable with the excess you've gained

1 Like

Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jan 01, 2014
world: Am babysitting on my own n am just few weeks postpartum...how do sit bath, birth my baby, take care of my body m stomach...pls mothers help here...my mother n mother in law r NT available, they r out of d state... so I n my husband are in dis alone..until dey return...

Sit bathe the baby? I have never done this before.
I always put the babytub on the kitchen sink to bathe the baby due to csection restrictions. Besides that method worked great for everybody I've helped so far. So make sure all the supply's ready ( blanket, clothes, lotion etc) right there. It's fast and no ceremony.

Your stomach? PLEASE DO NOT APPLY HOT TOWEL ISH, the outcome is scary.
Religiously Dot on hot drinks ( hot chocolate, tea, warm milk , pap etc) .
Apply Vaseline/palmers stretch marks lotion / Bio oil on your tummy after every bath and before bedtime to prevent scary wrinkles.
Do 5-10 sit ups once or twice a week ( whatever suit you)

Don't forget your hair please, new moms tend to loose hair during this time, do something rather than leave it fluffy.

Sleep when the baby sleeps, don't bother bout those dirty dishes& laundry, they can wait till later.

It is well.

8 Likes

Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by olymurphy(f): 8:40am On Jan 02, 2014
Coming
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by Sammiejo: 3:05pm On Jan 02, 2014
In addition to the advice already received, you don't need to bathe the baby everyday and more than once in a day. You can do twice in a week.
Wait for your 6 weeks check before starting any exercise.
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jan 02, 2014
If you live in Nigeria, please shower your baby once or twice a day depending on the weather .Breast feeding exclusively helps a lot in trimming down the tummy faster, I do the hot water massage and apply cocoa butter afterwards,the skin doesn't appear wrinkly permanently,just for awhile.i don't know much about weight watch because I dont watch mine.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by benedicta0(f): 4:56pm On Jan 02, 2014
Ewuro707:

Sit bathe the baby? I have never done this before.
I always put the babytub on the kitchen sink to bathe the baby due to csection restrictions. Besides that method worked great for everybody I've helped so far. So make sure all the supply's ready ( blanket, clothes, lotion etc) right there. It's fast and no ceremony.

Your stomach? PLEASE DO NOT APPLY HOT TOWEL ISH, the outcome is scary.
Religiously Dot on hot drinks ( hot chocolate, tea, warm milk , pap etc) .
Apply Vaseline/palmers stretch marks lotion / Bio oil on your tummy after every bath and before bedtime to prevent scary wrinkles.
Do 5-10 sit ups once or twice a week ( whatever suit you)

Don't forget your hair please, new moms tend to loose hair during this time, do something rather than leave it fluffy.

Sleep when the baby sleeps, don't bother bout those dirty dishes& laundry, they can wait till later.

It is well.

Good tips there! But people said using a hot towel to press your tummy, makes the tummy to reduce,makes all the bad blood to flow out,and make the womb to go into it's rightful place quickly.
After giving birth to two children,people tell me that I made a mistake by not using very hot water to press my tummy,that it is a little bit big,since I'm on the slim side
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by greatgod2012(f): 6:12pm On Jan 02, 2014
benedicta0:

Good tips there! But people said using a hot towel to press your tummy, makes the tummy to reduce,makes all the bad blood to flow out,and make the womb to go into it's rightful place quickly.
After giving birth to two children,people tell me that I made a mistake by not using very hot water to press my tummy,that it is a little bit big,since I'm on the slim side

using hot towel to press your stomach/body is just like punishing yourself unnecessarily!
Which bad blood is really coming out, abeg, enough of all these primitive methods joor, just make sure you eat hot foods and take hot liquids ALWAYS........lobatan.
After about 8weeks, start some simple exercises like walking and sit ups, and you're good to go.
*talking from experience*

@op, you've been told all you need to know, i wish you goodluck and i pray for quick recovery from lost blood and waters.
However, for your baby, use natural oils like sheabutter, olive oil, cocoa oil or coconut oil, and you'll be free from treating all those irritating skin rashes known to affect babies.
My warmest regards to your baby.

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by world(f): 6:20pm On Jan 02, 2014
Am so greatful to u all for sparing some of ur time to explain all these....its been helpful....
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by world(f): 6:30pm On Jan 02, 2014
Pls a neighbor mention something like tying of the belle with wrapper to help reduce the stomach faster....how tru is dis?
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jan 02, 2014
It's a common practice,i can't vouch for its efficacy though.No harm in trial smiley.
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by Nobody: 12:36am On Jan 03, 2014
@ Well done for that post smiley
Thank you my sister.

@Byvan, I heard tying ish is more prevalent among northerners. I miss debrief.
Routine workout worked great for me tho.
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by Nobody: 12:55am On Jan 03, 2014
@Ewuro, Easterners do tie too.
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by Nobody: 1:23am On Jan 03, 2014
Ouch. My guts will fall out from my cs stitches shocked that's crazy.
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jan 03, 2014
grin No one will let you tie that if you had a CS delivery.
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by benedicta0(f): 2:26pm On Jan 03, 2014
Okay, thanks @ .
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by world(f): 2:43pm On Jan 03, 2014
What about the myth about sitting down and closing of the legs to avoid air and unnecessary darting in future...dats for pple DAT delivered normal
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jan 03, 2014
world: What about the myth about sitting down and closing of the legs to avoid air and unnecessary darting in future...dats for pple DAT delivered normal

Closing legs? I thought farting through vjj is doc recommended & also part of the healing process?

Fart away dear grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jan 03, 2014
world: What about the myth about sitting down and closing of the legs to avoid air and unnecessary darting in future...dats for pple DAT delivered normal

It holds no water,i sit as I wish.
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by dBard: 4:29pm On Jan 03, 2014
The hot water to d tummy doesnt do ish pls n its actually not beneficial. Also, someone mentioned sitting over hot steaming water..if u were stitched down dre, that'll end up breaking it down. Sitz bath is done with warm not hot water.
Bosom feeding does help wit d belly by shrinking d womb and except its a c/s birth, or odawise advised, light exercises (like d towel series) can b started as soon as ur comfy bf moving onto d heavier stuffs likesit ups.
Don't know but heard a lot about Shea butter n stretchmarks.
I also tend t agree wit Byvan..f now, let d experts do the bathing while u watch n learn
All d best
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by Nobody: 4:38pm On Jan 03, 2014
Please run away from omugwo yamsooo,the too much yam consumption during omugwo has rendered so many women shapeless.

4 Likes

Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by ifyalways(f): 4:42pm On Jan 03, 2014
byvan: Please run away from omugwo yamsooo,the too much yam consumption during omugwo has rendered so many women shapeless.
Things have changed sha.
Omogwo yam is usually one or two slices,its the "soup and fish" that fills up the bowl,steaming hot and very good cos of the spices(uda,ehuru,uziza)
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jan 03, 2014
Ifyalways it didn't change everywhere oo, those that can't afford the plenty fish compensates with yams,lots of yams... grin.
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by ypepe: 7:51pm On Jan 03, 2014
Chei byvan!
C d way u said this as if its only yam they eat cheesy

Funny enuf I never ate any of those things. I hope I'm safe sha.
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jan 03, 2014
An Igbo friend made that soup everytime I put to bed. Just few slices of yam and lot of fish. Quite tasteless compared to regular pepper soup. But had no choice but eat by force, she's an older aunty.

Soo it's called omugwo yam? Good to know.
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by world(f): 7:55am On Jan 05, 2014
Pls house, like for how long will i avoid cold tins
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by Nobody: 9:27am On Jan 05, 2014
I don't avoid cold things,i eat what I want.
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jan 05, 2014
world: Pls house, like for how long will i avoid cold tins

8weeks tops. IMO
Re: How Can I Take Care Of My Body After Child Birth by ypepe: 3:56pm On Jan 05, 2014
@op, didn't u go to antenatal class at all?
While preggy, its always advisable to go to classes and learn. Interact with pregy like u. Use search engines and educate urself. This is 21st century abeg.
One thing about our ladies is they must ever give u one advice or d other whether u asked them or not. Pick some of them. They may be useful to u.

U don't wait till u ve put to bed or bc u r expecting help from an older person u don't prepare urself.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is There A Probability Of Cheating? / My Wife Won't Cook For Our Guests. Please Advise Me / Pregnant Lady And Her Lover Burnt To Death In Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.