Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,940 members, 7,841,608 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? (2074 Views)

Beach Soccer World Cup: Senegal Cheated From Winning Against Portugal / Beach Soccer World Cup: Tahiti Vs Nigeria (1 - 4) On September 6th / Fifa Beach Soccer World Cup Dubai 2009 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by akinwunmi(m): 6:33pm On Sep 02, 2005
Is Nigeria going to make the main thing called Soccer World Cup?

Just two matches to go, do you think Nigeria will do what they are always good at - come from the back to win? i pray so o, and moreover how long are we going to be at the 2006 world cup? Is it going to be like the last one that we just went to mark the register, "we came"?

Two heads are better than one; I'll like to know what you all feel.
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 9:13am On Sep 03, 2005
The Super Eagles will not confront strong opposition in Oran, Algeria, on Sunday. My anticipated low turnout of spectators at the match will reflect the level of inspiration both teams command in the continent at the moment, particularly the Algerians. The hosts are ripe for the picking; they have nothing to lose but pride from this match. If ever there was a time they are most vulnerable this must be it. They have a young team that have failed to grow as a result of an out-dated national team development strategy. The effect of using the Algerian domestic league to build the foundation of the national team has not matched the influence of exposure to foreign leagues that many other more successful African teams have adopted as their route to development. Whereas Algerian clubs have remained consistently close to the top in African club football, not so their national team. Perhaps that explains why Algeria have stopped being a major African force in global football and are really not in contention for a place in the group qualifiers for Germany 2006.

The only real source of motivation that I see for the Algerians tomorrow is their pride that would be dented should the Super Eagles break the jinx (or record) of their invincibility at home in the history of matches between both countries. Otherwise, I foresee a drab match that could easily end in a draw. But even a draw might still be good enough to take the Eagles to Germany 2006 if my present thinking is anything to go by. It is also not entirely impossible that these Eagles do the impossible and beat Algeria in Oran to create history and become the first Nigerian national team to do so.

Nigeria, even at its weakest now, remains an outside contender. I choose to still hold on to this thin thread of hope. My feelings are that the Angolans are in for a real shock. The team that will go to the World Cup will emerge only after the last round of matches and I still see Nigeria, believe it or no, being it!
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by layi(m): 1:18pm On Sep 03, 2005
In as much as i wish them to make it to the world cup. I dont think i can waste my time supporting them cos this team isnt up to da task. If they eventually make it to the mundial, they might not pass d first round. I've lost faith in the present super eagles, NFA etc. Bunch of rubbish
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Greatpeter(m): 2:05pm On Sep 04, 2005
I share same thoughts with you my brother.
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 2:32pm On Sep 04, 2005
The turning point has to be today. If Angola win and we win we are out...

Why?

Because Rwanda are giving us a preview of how they intend to lie down and die against Angola in a month's time...

They are 1-0 down after 4 minutes and playing very badly.
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Greatpeter(m): 2:39pm On Sep 04, 2005
No worries the team that play badly today can spun surprise tomorrow.

Burkinafaso beat south Africa 3-1 yesterday.
Who could believe that.
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 2:53pm On Sep 04, 2005
Yes. Rwanda just equalised...

Angola-Gabon starts in 10 minutes

South Africa shot themselves in the foot. They went for a cakewalk and instead got beat. The 2nd and 3rd goals were gifts that the Burkinabe's took gratefully. I still can't believe that they only managed to score one past Abdoulaye Diarra. Remember Amuneke's goal against the same fellow?
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 2:54pm On Sep 04, 2005
2-1 Zimbabwe. BTW, all the goals were scored by Zimbabweans...
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Greatpeter(m): 3:12pm On Sep 04, 2005
Ha I wish Rwanda beat Zimbabwe so that they can fight Angola to finish to qualify for nations cup.
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 3:13pm On Sep 04, 2005
So at half time Zimbabwe is leading Rwanda 2-1, which confirms what we all knew, the Rwandans are out of all tournaments. Makes it hard for Nigeria should we win and Angola win as well...

Because Angola have Rwanda next, while we have Zimbabwe. Those will be the last matches of the series...

The only ray of hope is this: we are playing Algeria later today (Algeria are out of it all), while Gabon are still in with a shout and they are playing Angola now. Gabon play Algeria next, so if they get points off the Angolans, they have their destiny in their own hands...
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Greatpeter(m): 3:15pm On Sep 04, 2005
Give me the web site to watch also.
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 3:20pm On Sep 04, 2005
Greatpeter:

Give me the web site to watch also.

Check your PM. But you should have started streaming ages ago!
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 3:21pm On Sep 04, 2005
Gabon just had a penalty call turned down!
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 3:22pm On Sep 04, 2005
Like Angola are beginning to dominate... cry

The stadium is packed beyond reason!
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 3:28pm On Sep 04, 2005
Angola are really dominating this game...
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 3:32pm On Sep 04, 2005
My stream has frozen!
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 3:37pm On Sep 04, 2005
Stream is back. Gabon just scored an own goal.
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 3:38pm On Sep 04, 2005
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Greatpeter(m): 3:41pm On Sep 04, 2005
Is that an equalizer?
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 3:45pm On Sep 04, 2005
Greatpeter:

Is that an equalizer?
Angola 1-0 Gabon
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Greatpeter(m): 3:48pm On Sep 04, 2005
What a pity.

I hope they will equalize.
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 3:50pm On Sep 04, 2005
Nope. 2-0
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 3:52pm On Sep 04, 2005
The way this game is going I don't know how Gabon is going to score because it doesn't look like they are controlling the game
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Greatpeter(m): 3:53pm On Sep 04, 2005
Jesus Christ!
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 3:54pm On Sep 04, 2005
And now they may well lie down and die because of Zimbabwe's result. Zimbabwe have won 3-1, so Gabon is out of the Nations Cup as well!
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Greatpeter(m): 4:00pm On Sep 04, 2005
This results is making me sick.

Please do send that thing plz.
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 4:07pm On Sep 04, 2005
Doesn't look good for Nigeria.

I wish we had project managers handling our affairs than political clowns.

CCC should have been sacked after the Rwanda draw as that was the match we had to win at all cost and nobody saw the dangers of a mishap in Nigeria. Poor risk evaluation may cost us this ticket.

Only fools waits for damage to be done before reacting.

We have not learnt anything yet and this might be a classic time to re- evaluate how we prepare in the future.

In a competition like this, all matches are important until you cross the winning line. Everyone expected Nigeria to be about 6 points clear of any team in the group by the time these last 2 matches were being played and so we would nave just needed a draw to qualify.

Note that we went to Angola with a depleted team and would have been better going to that match and done better with a top Nigeria club side as the team Nigeria presented was extremely poor and we lost by a lone goal scored in the last 5 mins after a Joseph Yobo blunder.

Angola has worked hard and deserve their position. Nigeria has no organisation, no captain and no team.

Our hope is that our boys win today. If they do not, and lose, it will all be over! Angola will not have to go to Rwanda! We need at least a draw to stop the poping of champaign bottles in Angola!

Hard work is neeeded to achieve and not talents!!!!

Half time.....

Angola 2 - 0 Gabon
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Greatpeter(m): 4:16pm On Sep 04, 2005
Well I pray we win this all important match.

Angola has never won away match in this campaign so who knows Rwanda might hold them to draw.
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 4:20pm On Sep 04, 2005
Rwanda played OK when they had a chance... Nothing like pride in African football.

By the way, 3-0. I am stopping this stream make I go joint go watch CIV-Cameroon with boys. This is torture!
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Greatpeter(m): 4:24pm On Sep 04, 2005
i am pissed off1
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 4:24pm On Sep 04, 2005
Goal was disallowed. Still 2-0. Makes no difference though. Greatpeter, check ya email.
Re: Will the Super Eagles Make the 2006 Soccer World Cup? by Chxta(m): 4:39pm On Sep 04, 2005
A goal back from Gabon who have headed a ball wide off an empty net will do our cause a lot of good!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sports Minister, Nine Others Quizzed Over N12b U-17 World Cup Funds. / Who Want Free Game. / Exclusive Photos Of Victor Osimhen, The World FIFA U17 Highest Goal Scorer Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.