Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,825 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation (16782 Views)

Horoho Takes Oath As First Nurse, Female Surgeon General Of The U.S Army / Plastic Surgeon Made His Wife Perfect Using His Skills / Lamentations Of A ‘frustrated’ Nigerian Surgeon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by SOHKAHTOA: 12:39pm On Jan 03, 2014
I see a very focused government working towards giving the country a new lease. This is one very step that 'll usher the country into an era of strong public Health institution. It will strive towards curtailing medical tourism by the elitists which will in turn make government responsible towards building a virile health policy for their own benefits and for the benefits of ordinary citizens.
Who says New frontiers are not being opened in this administration?

1 Like

Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by Sohot1(m): 12:46pm On Jan 03, 2014
For all those ignorantly making comments above, this is the way it is obtainable in other countries (do a little research)...

The surgeon general is usually accorded a place even above other ministers....

This is one of d few countries in the world where medical doctors are not rewarded for their hardwork and endless sacrifices

Indeed, this is a welcome development, kudos to Jonathan!

3 Likes

Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by SWG1: 12:48pm On Jan 03, 2014
I dont know why people like fueling crisis in the health sector to the detriment of patient. How will surgeon general improve health care services and foster healthy relationship among health professionals. Doctors hold the post of CMD, Minister of Health and now Surgeon General and grand commander of nigerian health system but no tangible improvement in health care delivery & healthy working relationship among His peers. Govt should make sure that JOHESU ‘s request have been implimented, if not, more problem on the health sector.

2 Likes

Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by Sohot1(m): 12:51pm On Jan 03, 2014
SOH KAH TOA: I see a very focus government working towards giving the country a new lease. This is one very step that 'll usher the country into an era of strong public Health institution. It will strive towards curtailing medical tourism by the elitists which will in turn make government responsible towards building a virile health policy for their own benefits and for the benefits if ordinary citizens.
Who says New frontiers are not being opened in this administration?
Teebag28:
what is johesu? bunch of disgruntled paramedics who narrowly missed reading medicine. NMA was indeed very soft at that

Well said....
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by reindeer: 1:02pm On Jan 03, 2014
SWG 1: I dont know why people like fueling crisis in the health sector to the detriment of patient. How will surgeon general improve health care services and foster healthy relationship among health professionals. Doctors hold the post of CMD, Minister of Health and now Surgeon General and grand commander of nigerian health system but no tangible improvement in health care delivery & healthy working relationship among His peers. Govt should make sure that JOHESU ‘s request have been implimented, if not, more problem on the health sector.

Don't worry, with this the doctors dont need to be minister of health anymore. alll the other health workers can fight themselves to death for it.
grin
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by Burger01(m): 1:03pm On Jan 03, 2014
Oga Jonah, please reduce the fuel pump price. Do this and I will swear allegiance for 2015 and beyond.. sad
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jan 03, 2014
Chilling for the Usual e_fights.

NMA Vs JOHESU.

grin grin grin
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by unmask: 1:27pm On Jan 03, 2014
So hot: For all those ignorantly making comments above, this is the way it is obtainable in other countries (do a little research)...

This is one of d few countries in the world where medical doctors are not rewarded for their hardwork and endless sacrifices

don't they get paid?......Nigerian doctors are lazy.....but I am yet to determine if it is a fault of theirs
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by jangirova: 1:30pm On Jan 03, 2014
[quote author=Teebag28]
what is johesu? bunch of disgruntled paramedics who narrowly missed reading medicine. NMA was indeed very soft at that

We know many of u Doctors who struggled, settled ur Ogas, cheated and narrowly became the 'cocky Professional' in the health sector.In the university where i finished from ,so many of u cldnt have dared to study Pharmacy,Accounting,Geology,Political Science just to mention a few.U have been overrated and unfortunately u dont even know ur limits and boundaries. U dont even have a life after ur so called medicine.The reason why our hospitals are upside down,why the health sector is in chaos,why teaming Nigerians are seeking medical help outside the shores of this nation is cos the so called "medicine Reader" who are the CMD'S, Minister of Health, NAFDAC DG, Chiarman boards of 90% of Govt.hospitals and now would be Surgeon General have failed the people.Many of ur consultants are lazing around govt. hospitals collecting "free fat salaries" doing nothing,only to shelve duties to neonates (house officers&Reg.) who will do nothing but experiment.
It is also very appalling that ur ego have also been fueled by a govt. who doesn't know it's left from right. God save Nigeria.

9 Likes

Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by IYANGBALI: 2:08pm On Jan 03, 2014
Doctors should go ahead with their strike my landlord who is aginst me marrying his only child has just been admitted into the hospital and he is on life support,if the strike should commence as planned,definitely my landlord would not come back home alive and the coast would be cleared for me to marry his daughter and inherit his wealth. Nairalanders get ready to party with me
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by johnjames2009: 2:24pm On Jan 03, 2014
i will buy jamb or utme form now. i want to study medicine and stop complaining about them. i heared the form is cheap. or contest for governor and stop complaining about politician or if i can merge APC and PDP, I shall contest for president. Anyhow i will try. this rivalry is protracted.

na me be me. jjohn

2 Likes

Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by Nobody: 2:47pm On Jan 03, 2014
SWG 1: I dont know why people like fueling crisis in the health sector to the detriment of patient. How will surgeon general improve health care services and foster healthy relationship among health professionals. Doctors hold the post of CMD, Minister of Health and now Surgeon General and grand commander of nigerian health system but no tangible improvement in health care delivery & healthy working relationship among His peers. Govt should make sure that JOHESU ‘s request have been implimented, if not, more problem on the health sector.

u are missing out something.
NMA and Jonathan got it right!
ministry of health has been messing up health policies (politicalizing everything) .
SGF will be giving responsibility of making health policy just as we have solicitor General of federation. things will be more organized, less frequent strike just like in the judiciary.

2 Likes

Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jan 03, 2014
So who's next? I say bring it on and ye shall be satisfied...
Anything for 2015, No vacancy in Aso Rock...
NEXT!!!
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by emekaxy: 2:50pm On Jan 03, 2014
U09ce: So what role will the minister of health play in this situation?

Conflict of interest.......Min of Health and SGF will want to cross carpet in dia duties.

Everyboody want choppings
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jan 03, 2014
[quote author=jangirova][/quote]

I pity u.
u are frustrated!
people like u did all they could to study medicine but couldn't. let me tell u something, those that finally graduated as doctors are not always the most intellectual but are the smartest. u dont need to know much to become a doctor No! just keep ur head down, study the basic things.
since u have missed out becoming a doctor, there are still chances for ur children. stop pouring out ur frustration like this or else ur children and children children will still miss out.

1 Like

Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jan 03, 2014
Peaceworld:
Wow...a fool is speaking...BTW...a SGF is okay for the country, but please, why is NMA also kicking against other health professionals jumping and why the privatization issue? Is it not selfish? Can any doctors here chip in on this? Any sane one, please?

it doesn't make sense abusing anyone. if we are sincere to ourselves not been one sided.
NMA just like the foreign counterparts have never been against any paramedicals, its just a simple misunderstanding widely due to ignorance. I strongly believe with time those things will no longer be an issue, everyone will work in harmony as its obtain abroad.
Now that we have SGF., anybody from medical or paramedical can now be appointed as health minister ..

2 Likes

Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by johnjames2009: 3:26pm On Jan 03, 2014
IYA NGBALI: Doctors should go ahead with their strike my landlord who is aginst me marrying his only child has just been admitted into the hospital and he is on life support,if the strike should commence as planned,definitely my landlord would not come back home alive and the coast would be cleared for me to marry his daughter and inherit his wealth. Nairalanders get ready to party with me

Doctors I know are not that bad. They are ethically bound to look for and give their patient ,on admission or in critical condition, an alternative care by referring them to private health facilities. The disadvantage here is essentially the cost of care viz a viz the conmon man.
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by IYANGBALI: 3:30pm On Jan 03, 2014
johnjames2009:

Doctors I know are not that bad. They are ethically bound to look for and give their patient ,on admission or in critical condition, an alternative care by referring them to private health facilities. The disadvantage here is essentially the cost of care viz a viz the conmon man.
God punish any doctor wey refer my landlord
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by hayoakins(m): 3:31pm On Jan 03, 2014
What would be the function of Surgeon General when we already have the Minister of Health. I think we need Mechanic General of the federation too.... undecided

Anothere issue would be choosing who to be the surgeon Gnr which be lead to another competition and assassination amidst the doctors
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by tomber(m): 3:35pm On Jan 03, 2014
Doc swore an oath to save lives. but what do we av in Nigeria, Dr. using the lives of Nigerians to play politics. Scrabbling for power while patients are dying from their carelessness. They hate to be checked, to beheld accountable. all they are after is more pay n more pay. They love Comparing themselves with Dr abroad who do their Jobs well and respect boundaries, Dr who will work with other health prof as teams unlike themselves. Well I wish them the best. I pray that they will one day be the victim of the system they have created.

And I seriously don't know why we in Nigeria want to take same take home pay as those abroad when we don't have thesame economy.
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by bfmconcepts: 3:35pm On Jan 03, 2014
We already have AGF - Attorney General of the Federation and Accountant-General of the Federation
Now, it is SGT - Surgeon-General of the Federation
Very soon there will be request for
TGF - Tutor-General/Teacher-General of the Federation
DGF - Driver-General of the Federation
GGF - Governor-General of the Federation
add to the list
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by blym4real: 3:50pm On Jan 03, 2014
I don't know what so special in been a doctor, why should doctors be treated specially more than other professions and most of the so called doctors can not even measure up to international standard, it high time all other professions are treated equally with no special treatment for any body, teachers should also go on strike so we can have tutor general of the federation, likewise all other professions. It just doesn't make sense.
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by bumfem: 3:58pm On Jan 03, 2014
Hello friends..... Mr president gave this promise in order to avert the doctors strike. The president himself knows it will never happen.
Let anybody that cares know that announcement of Surgeon general will never see the light of the day.
I could see many of you posting here are not privileged to some vital info. It will not happen except the govt is ready to shot down healthcare in nigeria.
Nigeria does not need a Sur Gen. Previous heads of govt are aware of this. JOHESU will resist this to the last man. Doctors know they have lost many battle, it is sure this is good as loss again.
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by leo1234(m): 4:02pm On Jan 03, 2014
[quote author=jangirova][/quote]Which sector is doing very well in Nigeria? Please support Nigerian doctors to build a better health sector. Go to america and see how they treat their doctors. Bad tree can't bear good fruit. All we need in Nigeria is a change of attitude.
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jan 03, 2014
tomber: Doc swore an oath to save lives. but what do we av in Nigeria, Dr. using the lives of Nigerians to play politics. Scrabbling for power while patients are dying from their carelessness. They hate to be checked, to beheld accountable. all they are after is more pay n more pay. They love Comparing themselves with Dr abroad who do their Jobs well and respect boundaries, Dr who will work with other health prof as teams unlike themselves. Well I wish them the best. I pray that they will one day be the victim of the system they have created.

And I seriously don't know why we in Nigeria want to take same take home pay as those abroad when we don't have thesame economy.

sorry sir but what u are saying is that nothing is happening in health sector.
health sector gives out more than the government is putting in. they still remain the best in terms of work output when compare to other sectors.
have u gone to uniLag teaching hospital, UPTH, UNTH, UCTH Teaching hospital Zaria, UBTH etc stuffs are happening there simply bc govt have to some extent done something.
to my own knowledge doctors still do their job more than many professional in nigeria.
a doctor cannot abandon / postpone his work unlike lectures
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by Obinoscopy(m): 4:24pm On Jan 03, 2014
So hot: For all those ignorantly making comments above, this is the way it is obtainable in other countries (do a little research)...

In the US, the Surgeon General reports to the Assistant Secretary for Health (Nigeria's equivalent for Minister of State for Health). So I think the bolded is wrong.

In other countries, the Surgeon General is simply a senior ranking medical officer within the military. So I wonder why the Doctors are clamoring for this?
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by yemmy75(m): 4:39pm On Jan 03, 2014
U09ce: So what role will the minister of health play in this situation?

Well, according to wikipedia, these are d responsibilities of the Surgeon General of the United states:

"The Surgeon General reports to the Assistant
Secretary for Health (ASH), who may be a four-
star admiral in the United States Public Health
Service Commissioned Corps (PHSCC), and who
serves as the principal adviser to the Secretary of
Health and Human Services on public health and
scientific issues. The Surgeon General is the
overall head of the Commissioned Corps, a
6,500-member cadre of health professionals who
are on call 24 hours a day, and can be dispatched
by the Secretary of HHS or the Assistant Secretary
for Health in the event of a public health
emergency.
The Surgeon General is also the ultimate award
authority for several public health awards and
decorations, the highest of which that can be
directly awarded is the Surgeon General's
Medallion (the highest award bestowed by board
action is the Public Health Service Distinguished
Service Medal). The Surgeon General also has
many informal duties, such as educating the
American public about health issues and
advocating healthy lifestyle choices.
The office also periodically issues health
warnings. Perhaps the best known example of
this is the Surgeon General's Warning labels that
can be found on all packages of American
cigarettes. A similar health warning appears on
alcoholic beverages."

The roles of the Nigerian version has probably not been created yet, but it should be similar to d above.
The responsibilities are also quite different from that of the Minister of Health, although they may overlap at some points.
Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by Authentik1: 4:44pm On Jan 03, 2014
reindeer: I may not be a Jonathan fan but this is definitely a step in the right direction.
I honestly appreciate your comment. This is what a call 'Conscientious critic'.
GEJ may not be getting it right a lot of times or in many ways, but at whatever point or area he gets it right, He should be given the credit. Afterall, the many problems he is dealing with today either inherited from past administration or inflicted by those who are falling out of power and want to get in/relevant.

3 Likes

Re: FG Agrees To Appoint Surgeon-general Of The Federation by yemmy75(m): 4:48pm On Jan 03, 2014
blym4real: I don't know what so special in been a doctor, why should doctors be treated specially more than other professions and most of the so called doctors can not even measure up to international standard, it high time all other professions are treated equally with no special treatment for any body, teachers should also go on strike so we can have tutor general of the federation, likewise all other professions. It just doesn't make sense.
Its not special treatment... Its what obtains in other parts of the world.
And you don't know what's special about being a doctor? Does ur health mean anything to you, bro??

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

COVID-19 Update For January 9 2021 In Nigeria / NAFDAC Raises Alarm Over Circulation Of Fake Dano Milk In Nigerian Markets / Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.