Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,784 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:14 PM

should i study agric? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / should i study agric? (25940 Views)

Which University Can I Study Physiotherapy In Nigeria? / I Am Offered Admission To Study Agric Instead Of Medicine.should I Go Or Not / What Course Can I Study With This Waec Result? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

should i study agric? by Obinnau(m): 6:07am On Jan 04, 2014
I resolved not to discuss this at all but its eating deep into the fabric of my soul.

This is the 2nd time am writing the God forsaken jamb. The 1st time i got 225, opted for medicine in unn, got 210 in their pume, but when the list came out, my name didnt appear on it. Fast forward to last year, i wrote again, this time i got 228 but opted for usman danfodio uni sokoto (UDUS) the same medicine, i opted for the north cos i thought it would be easier for me to get admitted there than in the east cos of high number of uni applicants. Am from Enugu state though. I got 56% in their pume and last month, JAMB site offered me agriculture as degree there. I was sad and confused and i still am. I decided not to hint to anybody that i got admission because I NEVER! hoped for agric.

But after sitting down and brooding over it my heart started to balk. Considering that I'm funding myself, working and studying, i dont know the outcome of my JAMB score this year if i would sit in for it again. It may be a better score or it may be worse, JAMB IS A GAMBLE! Then also should i go for agric knowing that once i accept it, it would be agric forever, cos i cant fund myself for another admission into medicine. Should i wait and retake jamb for my beloved MBBS? Or go and study agric?

What are a persons chances in the agric field? I know am brilliant enough to excell in agric but it was NEVER My passion. Dont tell me prez jona studied zoology and became prez, thats luck, i believe in practical plans.

God bless you.

UPDATE-- Am now in my 200 level and i dont think i will accept mdicine even if it is given to me now! team future soil scientist!!!!!!

7 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by Obinnau(m): 6:11am On Jan 04, 2014
Pls dont quote the above post pls.
Re: should i study agric? by Lateef9961(m): 6:28am On Jan 04, 2014
Do it lyk dix.
Go 4 dat agric course reg in udusok,start attending lectures iv lecture happen 2 hav begin den u buy anoda jamb form,whl stil running ur degree in agric,iv God has destined u 4 medicine,u might b lucky and get it wen u write anoda jamb dix yr.
Hope my message x clear?
LAST BULLET:DONT FORFIT DAT ADMIS$ION SO DAT U WUNT REGRET AT D END.
ma $alam.

13 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by Prec1ous(m): 6:32am On Jan 04, 2014
I have never felt bed in my entire life, but I braced up and went in even though I was unsure of what the future holds. Medicine was all I think about. But now I know better, it was all childish fantasy. I need to talk to you, it might be your dream, but what really matters is what you choose to become regardless of your course of study.

Have a nice day!

http://www.collegereap.com

4 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by Miscellaneous(m): 6:32am On Jan 04, 2014
My brother as much as I'll be tagged the bad guy here, I will sincerely advice you not to apply for this your MBBS again! You said you have written jamb for two years with a score below 240 and scored 56% in their pume, huh ? I advice you not to apply for medicine because you will hardly get it! That's the plain truth! I will advice you to go for other course still within that area of study e.g nursing, med rehab, micro bio etc. . .because even if you were given the MBBS , you may not be able to finish the MBBS since it requires maximum concentration and you said you are sponsoring yourself. So, I would say you should go for this agriculture and try Jamb again. . .remember, a bird at hand is worth millions in the bush. To remind you, Jamb is as easy as pie so, its never a gamble.

23 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by Obinnau(m): 6:34am On Jan 04, 2014
Thanks Lateef, but even if i write another jamb and get med, the money to process it wont be there again. Thats my dilenma
Re: should i study agric? by Miscellaneous(m): 6:38am On Jan 04, 2014
Lateef9961: Do it lyk dix.
Go 4 dat agric course reg in udusok,start attending lectures iv lecture happen 2 hav begin den u buy anoda jamb form,whl stil running ur degree in agric,iv God has destined u 4 medicine,u might b lucky and get it wen u write anoda jamb dix yr.
Hope my message x clear?
LAST BULLET:DONT FORFIT DAT ADMIS$ION SO DAT U WUNT REGRET AT D END.
ma $alam.

Tell him the truth! If God has destined him, he wont struggle this way. . .so he should not put in for MBBS again! There are better opportunities in many other courses for christ sake!
Re: should i study agric? by Obinnau(m): 6:38am On Jan 04, 2014
Thanks miscellanous. You are not the bad guy. I appreciate ur advice.

2 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by Lateef9961(m): 6:43am On Jan 04, 2014
Obinnau: Thanks Lateef, but even if i write another jamb and get med, the money to process it wont be there again. Thats my dilenma
den go 4 agric my dear.
U dnt nid 2 forfit dat admissn ooo bcus iv u do,it might b 2 late 2 turn back d hand ov tym!!!!
MA SALAM.
Re: should i study agric? by Obinnau(m): 6:50am On Jan 04, 2014
Lateef9961: den go 4 agric my dear.
U dnt nid 2 forfit dat admissn ooo bcus iv u do,it might b 2 late 2 turn back d hand ov tym!!!!
MA SALAM.
if i were to accept it, there is another issue, what are th opportunities in the agric field?
Re: should i study agric? by Nobody: 8:26am On Jan 04, 2014
Obinnau: if i were to accept it, there is another issue, what are th opportunities in the agric field?
There are numerous opportunities. May depend on your area of concentration though. But if your course is general agriculture, without any specialization, then the Agribusiness industry is your best bet. Get that degree, coupled with an MBA and your future is secure.

2 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by BankManager(m): 8:49am On Jan 04, 2014
First of all,nothing beats studying what you're passionate about..

Though you were given Agriculture,i will advice you pursue your medical aspiration..MBBS is among the best courses to study in Nigeria.

With the reforms going on in the medical profession presently,u never can tell,u can be the "SURGEON GENERAL of THE FEDERATION TOMORROW.."Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage..
Limitations live only in our minds. But if we use our imaginations,our possibilities become limitless..

Above all,forfetting your admission in Usman Dan Fodio University should NEVER be done..
So,my advice is this:

To be on a safer side,ACCEPT your admission in UDFU,take the NEXT JAMB coming up in April(Just 3months from now)..

Work very hard.Put God along.Avoid unncessary distractions.Get the right materials/textbooks..

If you can adhere strictly to this little piece of advice,i can guarantee you that come next session,you will be a MEDICAL student..Impossibilty is nothing.The most difficult thing is the decision to act,the rest is merely tenancy.."If your ship doesn't come in,swim out to meet it"...

Forget those years of been denied admission in the east.The past is a ghost.The future a dream.All we have is now..

I have seen many guys who did this in UNIBEN and ended up being SUCCESSFUL..

Follow your passion.Go confidently in the direction of your dream.Live the life that you have imagined..!!!

18 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by coolsegun2002: 9:05am On Jan 04, 2014
Some pple can be funny with comments, dats why I biliv when it comes to dreams don't ask anyone if u should follow it ...cos pple will give u advice based on experience some will tell u its a waste of time cos they hav tried nd ddnt make it..,some pple are just wicked they'll tell u not to follow ur dream cos they neva had the oportunuty or confidence to follow.........OP..follow ur dream..unless its sumthing u just chose cos u saw anoder friend choose it.....there are scools dat pay high for other courses than this medcince..the key is going to a federal school....federal schools pay less for all courses than state schools so weda u r sponsoring ur self or not the key is to look for a low paying scool....I attended OOU I have parents that paid my school fees of about 58k per session...nd my friend in unilag that studied medcine Paid an average of 12- 18k per session...he even applied for scholarship nd busary that helped him all tru...now he's a doctor in LUTH plsss...nothing good comes easy...check ben carson,bill gates, nd other big men today...ooo boy dem suffer oooo ....u just looking for an easy way out...nd like I said b4 nothing Good comes easy

13 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by danox(m): 11:04am On Jan 04, 2014
Thanks for this piece.you just encouraged me,I am at a crossroad considering whether to go and pursue my MBBS degree at Uniben cos I am considering funds and my age.I have actually been admitted through DE for Medicine by the school
coolsegun2002: Some pple can be funny with comments, dats why I biliv when it comes to dreams don't ask anyone if u should follow it ...cos pple will give u advice based on experience some will tell u its a waste of time cos they hav tried nd ddnt make it..,some pple are just wicked they'll tell u not to follow ur dream cos they neva had the oportunuty or confidence to follow.........OP..follow ur dream..unless its sumthing u just chose cos u saw anoder friend choose it.....there are scools dat pay high for other courses than this medcince..the key is going to a federal school....federal schools pay less for all courses than state schools so weda u r sponsoring ur self or not the key is to look for a low paying scool....I attended OOU I have parents that paid my school fees of about 58k per session...nd my friend in unilag that studied medcine Paid an average of 12- 18k per session...he even applied for scholarship nd busary that helped him all tru...now he's a doctor in LUTH plsss...nothing good comes easy...check ben carson,bill gates, nd other big men today...ooo boy dem suffer oooo ....u just looking for an easy way out...nd like I said b4 nothing Good comes easy
Re: should i study agric? by Obinnau(m): 11:53am On Jan 04, 2014
danox: Thanks for this piece.you just encouraged me,I am at a crossroad considering whether to go and pursue my MBBS degree at Uniben cos I am considering funds and my age.I have actually been admitted through DE for Medicine by the school
my God! You already got it, and you are still considering. My bro one way or anoda you gotta see urself through, go for it.

1 Like

Re: should i study agric? by Vicjay1(m): 12:55pm On Jan 04, 2014
Hmmm. My story.
Writing jamb with high hope of securing admission that same year into medicine at the great Uniben. Score 60% in jamb(do the calculation urself), was a little bit disappointed but was still confident that i can still make it. Wrote putme scored agg 60. In my mind ~God why me......~. 2 months after the result was released i check my page at their portal hoping to see admitted into medicine or any related course, but was surprised to see BAGSOS(what the heck is this.........) I quickly closed the browser as though I saw a snake. I slept hoping to see it changed when i woke up.
Long story short i was admitted to Soil Science in place of Medcine and Surgery. The first question that came to my mind "how is soil science in any way related to medicine" I took it in good faith but was sad. fast forward; i wrote jamb thee next year, my score was 2 marks higher than that of the former. i knew i was on a long thing if i still put in for Uniben. i Had to change to a state sch where my chances will be high. Funny enough what i did in my first year at Uniben really helped me when writing putme. Xperience. Finally i was admitted to study my desired course Medicne and Surgery.

CONCLUSION: Accept it and still continue to write untill u get ur desired course.
A bosom at hand is worth two in the bra grin
Shalom

Vic-jay

8 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:20pm On Jan 04, 2014
Re: should i study agric? by felzylix(m): 2:21pm On Jan 04, 2014
Re: should i study agric? by Marvyx(m): 2:21pm On Jan 04, 2014
Ah feel your pain dude believe me..i wonder y last year was like that.. My hood friend had 222 in jamb,scored 57 and was opting for uniben medlab..but they gave him fishery.he did pd 4 pharm nd was given AUB he has taken the latter but will still take jamb dis yr 4 med. That is what i'll advice u.. Goodluck bro.
Re: should i study agric? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jan 04, 2014
Re: should i study agric? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jan 04, 2014
Start off with the agriculture. You can buy a JAMB form and apply for medicine, take the exam, and if you make it, you switch over. If you don't, you continue with agriculture.

Admission is not easy to come by these days. Don't lose such an opportunity.

You might retake JAMB and discover you didn't make it. What would you do? Stay at home for another year?

Just start with what you've seen.

2 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by nemesiss: 2:24pm On Jan 04, 2014
study vet medicine... its the intersection of d two

1 Like

Re: should i study agric? by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jan 04, 2014
If he has passion for Agriculture then he should take the course

You should know that when you study agriculture, your field of work should be agricuture either farming or something related. Don't expect to come and work in the bank, IT, finance etc...sector except connection

These are mistakes some youth make because they are eager to enter the university and take a course that would jeopardize their future.

They would think it would be easy to convert to another course when they gain admission but it's not what they think.

So I will advise that if Agriculture is not what you intend to do then better drop the course and re-take JAMB, if case persists maybe you couldn't make the cut-off mark or no admission granted, then go for a related science course close to medicine

Because when you study a wrong course and you graduate and enter the labour market, you find out the demand is very low and you might not be able to find a job

1 Like

Re: should i study agric? by fattbabakay(m): 2:26pm On Jan 04, 2014
On a candid note,MEDICINE isn't meant 4 average students,coz I wonder how on earth u cud opt 4 MEDICINE nd stil scorin below 250 in UTME...I'd rather u went 4 AGRIC coz if it wer 2 be strict varsites lyk OAU,u won't be offered anytin atall!!!shalom!!!

2 Likes

Re: should i study agric? by Wizdray: 2:28pm On Jan 04, 2014
U beira go for it. Dnt cum bak here nd tel us an0da stori dat u ar giving geography dz year. Gudluck anyway
Re: should i study agric? by Xoxyl(m): 2:28pm On Jan 04, 2014
You av a long way to go, u better take that agric and stop the childish song " I want to be a lawyer, I want to be a doctor"
Re: should i study agric? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jan 04, 2014
retake
Re: should i study agric? by victorazy(m): 2:31pm On Jan 04, 2014
I beg u, retake jamb biko from xprnce.
Re: should i study agric? by AbuMikey(m): 2:32pm On Jan 04, 2014

Re-write JAMB if that's what You desire most.

I got admitted one time, but rejected it, though, the 1-year I spent at home wasn't too okay, but I had to.

Re_wrote JAMB and got admitted to my desired course, and now, I'm happy I rejected the 1st admission.

School, isn't about what You study bro, but what makes you happy from within.

But, since You said You the one sponsoring Yourself, I would advise you take the admission, while You re-write JAMB again, so as to be on the safer side in the case of not getting admitted this time around, which I don't wish for You. smiley

True Words from Mikey

Re: should i study agric? by Vicjay1(m): 2:34pm On Jan 04, 2014
Marvyx: Ah feel your pain dude believe me..i wonder y last year was like that.. My hood friend had 222 in jamb,scored 57 and was opting for uniben medlab..but they gave him fishery.he did pd 4 pharm nd was given AUB he has taken the latter but will still take jamb dis yr 4 med. That is what i'll advice u.. Goodluck bro.
Are you sure u are not the one? no offence grin grin

1 Like

Re: should i study agric? by superior1: 2:36pm On Jan 04, 2014
Dont waste more time writing JAMB, go for the Agric and put in your best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Reasons Not To Attend Private Institutions / Solve This Simple Maths If You Can:::::::::::::::::::::::: / Obioma Somto Chants Igbo Kwenu On his Valedictory Address At Loyol Marymount Uni

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.