Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,658 members, 7,809,494 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:34 AM

HOW TO GET 'CONNECTIONS' IN NIGERIA !!! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / HOW TO GET 'CONNECTIONS' IN NIGERIA !!! (5717 Views)

Why Agagu Boys Defected To APC In Ondo: The Obasanjo/tinubu Connections By Dayo / Explain Your Connections With MEND’, PDP Tells APC / Abdulmutallab Ghanaian Al Qa'ida Terrorist Connections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HOW TO GET 'CONNECTIONS' IN NIGERIA !!! by PNN: 9:29pm On Jan 05, 2014
I attended a Youth Summit where a girl stood up to ask how Nigerian Youths can succeed without connections in Nigeria since according to her one needs to have connections for everything in Nigeria.
The truth is that in Nigeria Today, having the right connections is very important- to get a good job, to get university admission, to get good contracts e.t.c
*Note that connections are not only needed in Nigeria but especially needed in Nigeria.
For how long will your complain that you failed to get something you deserve because you lack connections? The big question is how do you get connected?
I have read several articles on how to get connections but they are all foreign and do not suit our peculiar Nigerian environment. This article is an attempt to answer this important question- the Nigerian way from my experience and the experience of others.
Influential People -- those well-connected, knowledgeable voices to which others listen and respond --They can provide insight, recommendations, introductions and opportunities. The can ‘make things happen for you.’
Here are 10 steps to connecting with influential People in Nigeria.

1. Presentation
Number 1 is presentation popularly known as ‘Packaging’. You should be able to present yourself well to connect with influential people. The phrase ‘be youself’ should not be abused to mean that you can dress anyhow, speak anyhow and expect important people to take you seriously. ‘The impression you create when you contact people whether on the Phone, online or in person is very important.
First, how do you introduce youself? Introduce yourself confidently. ( even if you are broke-lol) Most people fail in this regard. The impression you create when you introduce youself matters.

Use titles e.g Good afternoon Sir, I am Barr. A or I am Engineer B e.t.c
Get attention: try to get the interest of the person with your introduction(a.k.a create relationship –lol) e. g I am Esther, secretary of Ijaw union….or I am John of Edo Pilot association
Or better still I am kate, your sister from Cross river.
• Note introducing youself to an influential person may not be about you but the person- A sincere compliment is good
• Start a conversation based on what will catch the interest of the person.
• Dress very well: There is no need to look cheap because you may ask the Person for help.
Don’t be flamboyant either; just look modest.
• Your online profile picture tells a lot about you. You don’t have to upload every picture your take in at your ‘backyard’ online. Get a professional picture from a good studio. It need not be very expensive. I have take great some great pics for just N500 (just the soft copy though).
Great pics sell you online.

Presentation also goes to how you present anything that has to do with you such as you CV, business proposal, letter e.t.c Be unique

2. ATTEND EVENTS
Influential People are everywhere. How do you meet them? In events! Everyday, there are different events going on. Important People ‘who run things’ in Nigeria are invited for such events. Seek information about such events and attend. This is your opportunity to meet people who could be of help to you in your career, business etc
Such events could be summit, weddings,seminars, workshops, religious activities, book launching etc One you know important Persons who can be of help to you will be there, don’t dull-attend important events.

3. GET INVOLVED
Don’t just watch things happen, be part of people who make things happen. Join organizations, groups that will give you the opportunity to network with influential people.
Volunteer your services in important organizations. I know of someone who got connections by offering to participate in organizing a summit. One of the proposed Speakers decided to give jobs to Youths that participated in organizing the summit and that’s how that ‘someone’ I know got a job.

4. Do YOUR HOMEWORK
It is your duty to prepare well. You have to why you intend to connect with a particular person. Check for information about the particular person. Imagine a person saying ‘I don’t know if you can help me get a job…’ You have to be sure to what you want-Is it contacts , recommendation, job or mentorship? Do your homework to know if the person can indeed help you.
Sometimes, you only need an influential person who will recommend , connect or link you to your helper. The link here could be the Chairman of the political party in the state, Pastor, Imam, Friend or relatives.

5. KEEP IN TOUCH/ BE SOCIAL
Don’t just get contact of important people and relax. Get to work. Keep in touch. You could start by sending a text message or an email introducing yourself as the case maybe. It is important to know how a person would want you to keep in touch. The could be through BBM(Pinging), Twitter, Facebook, Email, Phone calls etc But do not abuse the privilege. Do not bug people just because you have their contact. Follow their activities on social media and make reasonable contributions. This would help to build better relationship.
Nigerians are getting very social. Don’t be left out. Grandparents and Parents are seriously engaged in social media. Update useful information online, censor your comments,Take interesting pictures especially Pictures with important personalities in events & tag them.They may share thes pictures and this will help to build your online network.

6. OFFER SOMETHING/ REACH OUT
One of the easiest way People get connected is by offering something of value. If you have valuable service to offer, You could offer it to someone influential and see how you can get them to build your customer or client base. Some people create connections by paying ‘courtesy visits’ where they present gifts.(sometimes awards). Others may send congratulatory messages etc Some offer their products and get the ‘influential person’ to help them increase patronage for their products.

However, it is important to Note the following;
• It is not advisable to tell sorrowful stories to get help. This may get you sympathy but not the help you need.
• Do not approach people with the mindset that they owe you assistance. Show appreciation for any support.
• Please try to look like a Prospect and not a suspect. wink
• You may encounter rejection. Don’t give up, it maybe something you did’nt do right. Move on…forward ever!
• It is not advisable to ask for any assistance immediately. Build a foundation first. Some people prefer to discuss certain issues in the office.
• Even if you need a job badly, it may be advisable to say it directly on first contact. You could say you would like to have time to discuss something with regards to your career with them. After first meeting, you could visit them in the office to talk about your career. Here, you can stylishly seek connections for a job. This works where the person would be more comfortable in the office.

These are few tips I have seen work in Nigeria. Do you have better ideas? Share your experience. Lets get better connections in 2014.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: HOW TO GET 'CONNECTIONS' IN NIGERIA !!! by successnetwork: 4:10pm On Jan 06, 2014
::: : wink
Re: HOW TO GET 'CONNECTIONS' IN NIGERIA !!! by gidy4u: 8:08am On Sep 17, 2021
Nice one

1 Like

Re: HOW TO GET 'CONNECTIONS' IN NIGERIA !!! by gidy4u: 8:10am On Sep 17, 2021
Thinking of joining IBB golf club. But I heard that the fee is high

1 Like

Re: HOW TO GET 'CONNECTIONS' IN NIGERIA !!! by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jul 12, 2022
I have done all this things you mentioned they are still discriminating, pls carry this thing go front page after 8years

(1) (Reply)

Now We Know How Buhari's Certificate Disappeared From His Military File / CBN Deputy Gov Lose Jobs For Opposing Timing And Motive Of Sanusi's Action / Pictures: LASTA Officials Arresting Bicycle Riders For One Way!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.