Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,240 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:35 AM

Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America (14841 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Ask Me Any Questions About America,straight Talk from a Nigerian in America / 31 Migrants Drowned Off Libyan Coast, Nigerians Among Survivors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by manny4life(m): 11:17pm On Jan 10, 2014
I honestly do believe this is true, particularly the "Impulse-Control" and "Superiority Complex". These two are mostly common with Nigerians.
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by TheBookWorm: 11:18pm On Jan 10, 2014
Nigerian-Americans are bringing pride to Nigerians across the globe. Cream will always rise to the top. Someone has to do it. cool
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by coalcoal1(m): 11:18pm On Jan 10, 2014
cramjones: I have read this book and the previous book the author wrote. It is a thing of pride to know that Nigerians excel in every endeavor all over the world not just the United States. That said, while I agree with the cultural aspects the author pointed out, I make bold to say that those factors only contributed probably about 50% of what makes Nigerians successful.

Nigerians that come to the United States are self-selected. They are often times among the best and the most resilient Nigerians. They had to take exams, win scholarships, verify their transcripts, get great GPAs from their Nigerian Universities to make it to the US, and even then, had to go through a visa interview that even further accesses their potential to succeed in the US etc. They are those that naturally seek for excellence and since their inept government created an environment were this excellence remains herculean at best to achieve, they go on to seek it in other climes where talents and potentials can be explored and developed. These Nigerians ultimately excel and become successful in the United States. This to me is what make Nigerians successful.

My dream is to have a Nigeria where these talents can find a space to come back to Nigeria to build our country from the ruins of the GEJ and other previous administrations. We have a chance, We have APC! Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria

nice writeup
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jan 10, 2014
Yea...Nigerians are insecure...It's very evident with the way 'Jonathan not making speech', 'Nigeria not mentioned in....' blah blah type of threads are always created unnecessarily.
btw, the article says "Group of people" not race.

above all, I don't really care what you say woman. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided...Who da hell is she btw?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by osystein(m): 11:31pm On Jan 10, 2014
She probably chose Nigerian so she doesn't come across as racist, the list includes a group from each race, go figure. Chinese, Indians and Nigerians are most definitely boasted by their over-population, obviously there's selection for the most talented and ambitious when it comes to immigrating to the US.
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:35pm On Jan 10, 2014
[size=28pt]so now NIGERIANS BECAME A RACE?

DUMB RACIST AMERICANS![/size]
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jan 10, 2014
Hmm. . . Nigeria is now a race abi? undecided
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Ediss(m): 11:43pm On Jan 10, 2014
I just have this deep love for Nigeria and Nigerians. Some thing in me also tell me GEJ is one of the best president Nigeria have ever had. wink wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by toshmann(m): 11:43pm On Jan 10, 2014
As unpopular as this woman's books are, truth is that she's saying the dang truth.
They'll trash her in the US media. Stereotypes thrive in America (and indeed the whole world) and stereotyping is difficult to eradicate. Nigerians have been stereotyped to be criminal and crooked. But beyond the stereotypes, things are happening. No Nigerian comes to the states just to do menial jobs. They end up going to school, getting a degree and doing professional work.
Many are doing well and those still struggling are going to school.
That's the spirit. CNN won't report it bc it's contrary to the stereotype. But this babe does.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by badmrkt(m): 11:45pm On Jan 10, 2014
cramjones: I have read this book and the previous book the author wrote. It is a thing of pride to know that Nigerians excel in every endeavor all over the world not just the United States. That said, while I agree with the cultural aspects the author pointed out, I make bold to say that those factors only contributed probably about 50% of what makes Nigerians successful.

Nigerians that come to the United States are self-selected. They are often times among the best and the most resilient Nigerians. They had to take exams, win scholarships, verify their transcripts, get great GPAs from their Nigerian Universities to make it to the US, and even then, had to go through a visa interview that even further accesses their potential to succeed in the US etc. They are those that naturally seek for excellence and since their inept government created an environment were this excellence remains herculean at best to achieve, they go on to seek it in other climes where talents and potentials can be explored and developed. These Nigerians ultimately excel and become successful in the United States. This to me is what make Nigerians successful.Mr FFK do you even have time for your family? Seriously you must be a pathetic human out side your new home(social media)...You lead a pathetic life as well.

My dream is to have a Nigeria where these talents can find a space to come back to Nigeria to build our country from the ruins of the GEJ and other previous administrations. We have a chance, We have APC! Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by lastpage: 11:47pm On Jan 10, 2014

Nigerians that come to the United States are self-selected. They are often times among the best and the most resilient Nigerians. They had to take exams, win scholarships, verify their transcripts, get great GPAs from their Nigerian Universities to make it to the US, and even then, had to go through a visa interview that even further accesses their potential to succeed in the US etc. They are those that naturally seek for excellence and since their inept government created an environment were this excellence remains herculean at best to achieve, they go on to seek it in other climes where talents and potentials can be explored and developed. These Nigerians ultimately excel and become successful in the United States. This to me is what make Nigerians successful.

My dream is to have a Nigeria where these talents can find a space to come back to Nigeria to build our country from the ruins of the GEJ and other previous administrations. [s]We have a chance, We have APC! Long live the Federal Republic of Nigeria[/s]

Well said ........ until you ruined it with that "politicised" horse-shyte!

APC and PDP are just the two sides of the same coin!

Like Michael Jackson will sing: ..... "All l wanna say is THEY (APC, PDP, NPN, UPN, NPP, Tinubu, DULLARD-TAN, OBACHONJO, e.t.c) DONT REALLY-CARE 'BOUT US "

Be wise, ma people! wink wink

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by LadyH(f): 11:50pm On Jan 10, 2014
R2bees: this one na comment?.. I go just squeeze dat ur big head
LWKM!!!
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by bigx(m): 11:51pm On Jan 10, 2014
the_ripper3: Being Mormon is now a race?

I never knew.

What of African-Americans? bottom of the totem pole I guess.

African Americans mostly suffer from serious inferiority complex
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jan 10, 2014
No data, no facts.

I'm happy for my people who're doing well (wherever they are), but the personal opinion of one individual is never a reliable source.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jan 10, 2014
Rubbish! I would rather be judged ny my own individual merit and not be lumped into some group based on stereotypical attributes albeit positive! Mrs Chua or whateva needs to suck a good black di*ck and she will forever be silent!
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by PopeXanderVII: 11:58pm On Jan 10, 2014
TheBookWorm:

How can you have read this book, when the book will not be published until February 4, 2014?

LOL!!!

FFK sees all.
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Pamcrest(f): 11:59pm On Jan 10, 2014
And who is this writer Amy chau?
Am glad to read good ranking for Nigeria even if its by some unknown person.
I believe we should celebrate our strengths n tell our positive stories to counter d negative ones by d international press!
Isnt it curious that Nigerians are valued more abroad than at home!
My humble submission
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by PreciousBro: 12:02am On Jan 11, 2014
engineerd: Rubbish! I would rather be judged ny my own individual merit and not be lumped into some group based on stereotypical attributes albeit positive! Mrs Chua or whateva needs to suck a good black di*ck and she will forever be silent!

LoL cheesy
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Idrismusty97(m): 12:04am On Jan 11, 2014
It is high time we forget about our flaws or weakness and look at our strength!. It is common to see Nigerians pointing hands at the government for any negative development or corruption but the plain truth is that corruption nor bad leadership is the cause but we are the cause of our problems.We are proud of our ethnic group, our religion, Our smartphones but never proud of our country!

We are forgetting we are the 7th largest producer of oil in the world,we have the 10th largest proven reserves.We are the only Africa country that grows cocoa in 1 year unlike our neighbours that spend 5 whopping years!,We are the largest producer of cassava in the world.We have the largest stock exchange in Africa.About 10% of america surgeons are Nigerians.We study abroad and return with 1st class.We are an envy of many nations.Over 40% of our population are from 16-40 years,This literary means if you put 20 large company like Toyota in Nigeria our work force will be more than enough for them,japan are jealous of this.Investors from all over the world are begging to have a bite from our resources.Our era of gold is just starting while the Saudi arabians own era are ending. They is more to all these.We are not just the "giant of africa" but the giant of the world and our own people will not see this.

Let us work together to improve the image of this country.There is more to nigeria than just the 419s,corruptions,boko harams etc Do something for your country no matter how small.Open a blog and share the beauty of your country.They are too much entertainment blog in Nigeria. Just because linda ikeja made it doesn't means you will too.Nelson Mandela once said "The world will not respect Africa unless Nigeria earns that respect"
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by PreciousBro: 12:04am On Jan 11, 2014
She's definitely right on the Superiority complex thing, even other African countries can attest to this fact and hence the hate from them,even form neighboring countries.
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by MidasT(m): 12:04am On Jan 11, 2014
This is El-rufai talking
cramjones:

...Nigerians that come to the United States are self-selected. They are often times among the best and the most resilient Nigerians. They had to take exams, win scholarships, verify their transcripts, get great GPAs from their Nigerian Universities to make it to the US, and even then, had to go through a visa interview that even further accesses their potential to succeed in the US etc. They are those that naturally seek for excellence and since their inept government created an environment were this excellence remains herculean at best to achieve, they go on to seek it in other climes where talents and potentials can be explored and developed. These Nigerians ultimately excel and become successful in the United States. This to me is what make Nigerians successful.

El-Rufai, thank God for once u have admitted -using ur moniker- that the administration in which u served as minister, was ruinous to Nigerians and Nigeria. You and the other nation destroyers have ganged up in APC, and are scheming to return to power; to continue the reckless looting and deprivation that u were not able to complete. If GEJ has allowed ur kinds to continue with their selfish and debilitating deeds, am sure by now u would be a staunch supporter of GEJ, and even propose a third term: irrespective of what people will say. My one single prayer, is for you to remain politically irrelevant for the rest of ur life.
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by PreciousBro: 12:08am On Jan 11, 2014
Idrismusty97: It is high time we forget about our flaws or weakness and look at our strength!. It is common to see Nigerians pointing hands at the government for any negative development or corruption but the plain truth is that corruption nor bad leadership is the cause but we are the cause of our problems.We are proud of our ethnic group, our religion, Our smartphones but never proud of our country!

We are forgetting we are the 7th largest producer of oil in the world,we have the 10th largest proven reserves.We are the only Africa country that grows cocoa in 1 year unlike our neighbours that spend 5 whopping years!,We are the largest producer of cassava in the world.We have the largest stock exchange in Africa.About 10% of america surgeons are Nigerians.We study abroad and return with 1st class.We are an envy of many nations.Over 40% of our population are from 16-40 years,This literary means if you put 20 large company like Toyota in Nigeria our work force will be more than enough for them,japan are jealous of this.Investors from all over the world are begging to have a bite from our resources.Our era of gold is just starting while the Saudi arabians own era are ending. They is more to all these.We are not just the "giant of africa" but the giant of the world and our own people will not see this.

Let us work together to improve the image of this country.There is more to nigeria than just the 419s,corruptions,boko harams etc Do something for your country no matter how small.Open a blog and share the beauty of your country.They are too much entertainment blog in Nigeria. Just because linda ikeja made it doesn't means you will too.Nelson Mandela once said "The world will not respect Africa unless Nigeria earns that respect"

On point, I Second your notion mehn...
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Nobody: 12:08am On Jan 11, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:
[size=28pt]so now NIGERIANS BECAME A RACE?

DUMB RACIST AMERICANS![/size]

Lebanese
Indian
Chinese

Are they races?

Blame it on the ignorant Nigerian newspaper and original poster of nairaland not the authors or America.
They said 8 superior groups in the USA not 8 races
Maybe if you stopped worshiping amadioha you will see more clearly grin

Chau and her husband, Jed Rubenfeld, just released a controversial (and some say racist) parenting guide called 'The Triple Package', where they declared there to be [size=18pt]only eight successful and superior groups of people in the US.
[/size]
They eight are: Chinese, Jewish, Indian, Iranian, Lebanese-Americans, Nigerians, Cuban exiles and Mormons
'That certain groups do much better in America than others, as measured by income, occupational status, test scores and so on, is difficult to talk about,' Amy and Jed write.
The couple identify three distinguishing features these eight peoples have that guarantees them success over others; superiority, insecurity and impulse control.
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by fijiano202(m): 12:13am On Jan 11, 2014
TheBookWorm:
How can you have read this book, when the book will not be published until February 4, 2014?
ehn am waiting for the answer to ur question
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by CastleandGreen: 12:15am On Jan 11, 2014

Comment from a son of bitterness.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by donwilz(m): 12:43am On Jan 11, 2014

Wonderful and intelligent write up, until you politicized it... Having a party affiliation is one thing, but how about depending less on government. We Nigerians are intelligent, smart and incredibly street-wise hard workers. The Government has failed us, but against all odds, we will continue to prevail! One Nigeria!
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by buoye1(m): 10:17am On Jun 27, 2014
Happy i can nw mk a comment!
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 27, 2014
Hello?
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by stonemind(f): 10:28am On Jun 27, 2014
pls is my nairaland back?
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by adexsimply(m): 11:26am On Jun 27, 2014
My first post after Nairaland's resurrection angry angry angry
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by adexsimply(m): 11:27am On Jun 27, 2014
stone-mind:
pls is my nairaland back?
buoye1: Happy i can nw mk a comment!
Qhal: Hello?
Addicts tongue tongue
Re: Nigerians Among Races That Excel In America by buoye1(m): 1:35pm On Jun 27, 2014
Thank u
adexsimply:

Addicts tongue tongue

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos, Port-harcourt Airports Ranked Among World’s Worst [see List] / My Experiences In A Uk Immigration Detention Camp / 13 Injured In Lagos-Ibadan Highway Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.