Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,423 members, 7,864,856 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 08:16 AM

Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? (1707 Views)

Will You Marry Someone Who has been Trained To Kill? / Can I Marry Without My Parents Consent / What's The Best Advice Your Parents Ever Gave You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by madan(f): 2:44pm On Aug 08, 2008
I guess this is going to be of interest to you,
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by Godalone(m): 2:47pm On Aug 08, 2008
Yep,only that i am married with their consent.
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by MissyB1(m): 3:39pm On Aug 08, 2008
NO!!I can't.Whatever will make me do so?
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by ssRhino: 6:58pm On Aug 08, 2008
Yes i can, as long as i am ready to deal with all the $hit that will come with it, when wahala happens, and i must be so convinced that i am doing the rignt thing, for example if i am told not to marry a woman all cos of her background, color of skin, tribe or level of education, cos those are not what make a woman.
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by ifyalways(f): 7:25pm On Aug 08, 2008
NO, i cant
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by iice(f): 8:08pm On Aug 08, 2008
Yup
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by lucabrasi(m): 11:24pm On Aug 08, 2008
i cant o
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Aug 14, 2008
Yes, I can.
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by sistawoman: 8:09pm On Aug 14, 2008
I did the first time and what my father said about him was true. After that i learned my lesson and before my husband could ask for my hand he had to first ask my father.

Once he approved he asked me and in the same breath said that my father said it was ok and had dad on the phone to notify me. i said yes.
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by Outstrip(f): 1:52am On Aug 15, 2008
Hell yes. Are you kidding me? My dear marriage is a decision that you have to make on your own because when the honeymoon is over mummy and daddy will not be there to help clean up any mess their "chosen" spills. If things go sour you and you alone and probably your children will be the one's that will directly feel the pain. I am all for being open to suggestion but if they flat out say no for no reason other than he is not nigerian, or not from our tribe or his family are osu or any such stupid thing then they might as well not even show up for the wedding.
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by mohawkchic(f): 2:35am On Aug 15, 2008
~Yeah~
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by dudubobo1: 2:13pm On Aug 15, 2008
It's a recipe for disaster
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by rubi(f): 6:27pm On Aug 15, 2008
I can't. No matter the dispute I need their consent.
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by JustGood(m): 1:49pm On Sep 22, 2008
it is more than likely you'll regret it later if you do so
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by olukemih: 4:20pm On Sep 22, 2008
NO shocked

My parents have better experience than I do.

See things better than I do when it comes to marriage

Is better I listen to them.
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by timbabng(m): 10:40pm On Sep 22, 2008
Hell No!! i cant
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by coolier(f): 8:40am On Sep 23, 2008
No
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by rampagain: 12:01pm On Sep 23, 2008
@topic

watever for?i need my parents blessings for goodness sake

i got their blessings and i can testify that its working for me even till date

marrying a man wt out ur parents consent is a very tough one,trust me ,some men will use it against u later,cos they know dat u cant do anything and u cant run back to ur family,d respect will vamoose
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Sep 23, 2008
It depends on their reason for objecting to my marriage. I will go against their wish and get married if they are anything like the one that happened in my villa. the girl's parents objected on the account that the guy is an anglican and not a catholics, and the girls refused to accept her parents verdict and went ahead and married her love at her uncles house without the presence of any of the parents. if am in her shoe, i will do exactly what she did, we are no longer in medieval time and illiterate parents should be elightened about that and if they refuse then too bad

Another incedence again in my town about a few years ago was that of a guy, The father is dead and the mother objected to his marriage to his long tine girlfriend on the ground that the girl is already spoilt because she has a boyfriend not minding that the so called boyfriend is her son, the guy tried but no avail He later gave in to his mother after the mum reported him to umunna, he married the girl recommended by her mother who i happen to know very well, the babe herself equally have her own boyfriend and the mother-inlaw was not aware of that. well a year after the marriage
the guys mother came back to umunna, that her chosen daughter in-law should not see her corpse if she dies because they don't see eye to eye at home, Trust the guy he refuse to mediate btwn his mother and wife. Just kept mum and the mother could not even complain to the son even.

And my school girlfriend has aready divorced at very young age right after her youth service in 2006. she barely know the hubby though they are from the same town, the boy's mum approached the mum to speak to her about her son, her plea for time to study her proposed hubby was ignored and everything went fast like that,The hubby happens to be a wife beater, well the divorce was fast too with her mum raining venom on the boy and his family.

So What am saying is that we should look carefully in each case, your parents cannot live your life for you. check the reasons for objection bf taking any decision, e.g if my parents say my daughter i will not live to see you in that family because there is madness in their lineage, or arm robbery or epilepy of course i will sit down and check the pros and coins of what they are telling me. love cannot conquer some things. Marriage that is bound to fail will fail weather contracted with the consent of parents or without.
The only diff is that you have their support in times of trouble if you have their consent
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 23, 2008
i'v just did.wat u gonno do about it?tell my mama.
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by dyabman(m): 4:05am On Sep 24, 2008
If they are both dead , Yes thats without their consent grin
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by UNLEASHED(m): 4:48am On Sep 24, 2008
It's never done
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by Ihuoma85(f): 8:54pm On Sep 25, 2008
Im going to do it.
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by kokoye(m): 10:05pm On Sep 25, 2008
I ended up breaking up with all the girls my mom said were not right for me , due to some unavoidable circumstances. She liked most of them but she saw things I did not see:

She said one liked me too much it wasnt healthy for the relationship! right? exactly what I thot and I laughed at my mom when she said it, abi , what esle would I have asked for other then a girl who liked me to death? Believe me, this girl got so possessive that I had no other choice than to run for my life. Then it was my mother's turn to laugh at me.

So, parents know what theyre talking about , it's always good to hear them out and seek God's face.
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by Flakybaby(f): 10:36pm On Sep 25, 2008
No
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by ashleign: 3:33am On Oct 03, 2008
It's impossible,unthinkable,undoneable,can never happen. wink grin
Re: Can You Marry Without Your Parents Concent? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Oct 03, 2008
dyabman:

If they are both dead , Yes thats without their consent grin
hehe hilarious grin

@topic nope I can't ex specially my mom she
means the world to me

(1) (Reply)

What Kind Of Parent Allows This Sort Of Thing And Tapes It? / Nigerian Marriages In The States / Worlds Largest Family: Zionachana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.