Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,923 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony (6637 Views)

London Vs Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony: Which Was Better? / 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremony Pictures / London Olympics 2012: Live Updates Of The Opening Ceremony (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by seunbballo(m): 7:17pm On Aug 09, 2008
Wow!! What a Opening Ceremony. I bet you London can not beat that come 2012.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by McKren(m): 7:54pm On Aug 09, 2008
seunbballo:

Wow!! What a Opening Ceremony. I bet you London can not beat that come 2012.

Where will they get the money from??

I bet the British may have started lobbying China behind the scenes for loan
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by sunnykiss(m): 8:19pm On Aug 09, 2008
the ceremoney is da best i have ever seen , fireworkss. and the stadia.

big ups china
grin
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by AKO1(m): 8:29pm On Aug 09, 2008
Some pictures from the opening ceremony. Nobody should have missed that kind of **can't find a word to describe it** though

olympic rings, suspended

rings illuminated

young girl suspended

art performance

acrobats create human bird's nest

martial artists perform kung fu

urrm. .  we know this guy right? wink

another space walk

general view of bird's nest

piano performance; and much more!

human art

more

one world, one dream

passing the flame

from the US of A

from Great Britain ( men that guy is talll

"i do solemnly swear", or, what it means in Chinese

wow (do you notice the pictures on top?)

the flame

Source: http://en.beijing2008.cn/photo/ceremonies

And true talk, London has got to step the game up men. Their culture is not really rich though, they may just do more of 'science' than a 'fusion of science and culture', as yesterday's was described by Supersport.

And lest I forget, DVDs of the Olympics coming to an igbo boy near you grin me sef I recorded my own with pvr and burnt it

GRAB YOUR COPY!!
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 09, 2008
Lovely pics
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by egokanwa(f): 8:34pm On Aug 09, 2008
looking like a computer processor
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by AKO1(m): 8:39pm On Aug 09, 2008
egokanwa:

looking like a computer processor

meaning?
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by NegroNtns(m): 8:46pm On Aug 09, 2008
Where will they get the money from??

Same place China got it from ,, ;

Go to Africa, recruit their labour, pay them cheap, put the expatriate people in charge, use the cheap African labour to mine their minerals and ship to a foreign country, sell the products and keep the money in the foreign country.  At G8 meeting offer to help develop Africa and pledge donations but dont follow through.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by NegroNtns(m): 8:51pm On Aug 09, 2008
Thanks for those pix, last night was a very awe inspiring moment.

Somebody said the British flag bearer is very tall, ; you must be short if thats what you call very tall grin
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by doyin13(m): 8:52pm On Aug 09, 2008
All you naysayers dissing us Brits, we shall shock all of you.

Someone here actually intoned we have no culture. . . . . .the cheek

the Scots have no culture, the Welsh have no culture, Gaelic, Manx, Cornish, Yorkshire/ / /
My goodness.

You all should realise, Australians and Americans are basically an extension of the British Diaspora.

And if they can hold an opening ceremony, you can bet your Scottish Kilt we will put on a hell of a show.

@topic

I still think the lighting of the flame by the Archer at Barcelona is the best Opening ceremony moment I have seen.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by sherrylo: 8:54pm On Aug 09, 2008
Well, nice pictures but I bet London will definitely beat this come 2012.Wait till then,you will see where the money will come from. Trust my World best Chancellor & PM.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by KarmaMod(f): 11:22pm On Aug 09, 2008
yea we can't wait to see you people in your plaid skirts riverdancing all over the street screaming in Cockney.

Doponu
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by SeanT21(f): 11:39pm On Aug 09, 2008
KarmaMod:

yea we can't wait to see you people in your plaid skirts riverdancing all over the street screaming in Cockney.

Doponu

LMAO!!

at Ruby

I saw the opening ceromony already. I thought I missed it but my friends told me it just started.

I will love the 2016 Olympics to be held in CHICAGO!!!
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by shuppie(f): 11:49pm On Aug 09, 2008
it was reported in the news today that china spent whooping 40billion dollars on this olympics alone. that amount is shocked
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by Hannibal: 12:51am On Aug 10, 2008
doyin13:

All you naysayers dissing us Brits, we shall shock all of you.

Someone here actually intoned we have no culture. . . . . .the cheek

the Scots have no culture, the Welsh have no culture, Gaelic, Manx, Cornish, Yorkshire/ / /
My goodness.

You all should realise, Australians and Americans are basically an extension of the British Diaspora.

And if they can hold an opening ceremony, you can bet your Scottish Kilt we will put on a hell of a show.

Don't mind the HATERS. . . . .
They will come back here and eat back their technicolor yawn.
We got everything. . . . .the money, the human resources and the weather. grin cheesy
God Bless The Queen.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by omobachi(m): 1:12am On Aug 10, 2008
a top british offical told cnn they can't match china's spectacular opening ceremony come london 2012.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by SeanT21(f): 1:26am On Aug 10, 2008
Hannibal:

Don't mind the HATERS. . . . .
They will come back here and eat back their technicolor yawn.
We got everything. . . . .the money, the human resources and the weather. grin cheesy
God Bless The Queen.

??
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by Nobody: 1:44am On Aug 10, 2008
It was breathtaking!!! I was like we Nigerians have a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg way to go. cheesy
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by Lady2(f): 2:05am On Aug 10, 2008
sure, year 3000 sth.

LOLOLOL.

Well my mom told me that once Nigeria was suppose to hold Mrs. World, but unfortunatley being a mostly Islamic country, the northerners raided the area and all the ladies ran and said they would never come back.

OMG are you serious? What kind of idiocrisy is that?
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by KarmaMod(f): 2:37am On Aug 10, 2008
Lol the same weather that nearly ruined Wimbledon

turned a 2 hr teenis match to 7 hrs
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by triistar86: 5:15am On Aug 10, 2008
Please would you guys allow me to simply call it a 10 star performance. It was just to breathtaking. No long thing.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by TheJoker1(m): 10:19am On Aug 10, 2008
All the swimming events, the gymnastic events and the long distance cycling are such an awesome delight to watch. The fitness required is something else, and their physical condition and looks, OMG!
A challenge to those who don't give a siht about fitness and exercise and to all the orobokibos of land naira who just keep stuffing in more and more, get off your surplus and do something. 'm warning yu o! health is wealth, make yu no stand up one day just fall yakata, come wake up for yonder! one ear do sharp man.

On a sad note, "the fatal stabbing of the father of a former Olympian at a Beijing landmark cast a sad shadow over the first full day of Olympic competition Saturday, just hours after China's jubilant opening of the Summer Games.
Todd and Barbara Bachman of Lakeville, Minn. — parents of 2004 volleyball Olympian Elisabeth "Wiz" Bachman and in-laws of U.S. men's volleyball coach Hugh McCutcheon — were attacked by a Chinese man while visiting the 13th-century Drum Tower.

The assailant, Tang Yongming, 47, leapt to his death from a 130-foot high balcony on the Drum Tower, just five miles from the main Olympics site, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.

The U.S. Olympic Committee confirmed Bachman died from knife wounds and that Barbara Bachman suffered life-threatening lacerations and stab wounds. She and their Chinese tour guide, who was also injured in the attack, were being treated in a Beijing hospital".

Violent crime against foreigners is rare in tightly controlled China, and the assault occurred despite major security measures that have blanketed the capital city during the Olympics: A 100,000-strong security force plus countless volunteer guards have been deployed to protect against any trouble.

Beijing's Communist leaders are hypersensitive about anything that could take the shine off the games. China's Vice Foreign Minister He Yafei visited the Bachmans in the hospital". Source, Yahoo News.

Sad ehn sad
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by seunbballo(m): 12:41pm On Aug 10, 2008
color=#006600]@ Where will they get the money from??

I bet the British may have started lobbying China behind the scenes for loan[/color]

Infact Gordon Brown still dey look 4 money from taxpayer and lotteryfund to fund london olympics 2012. The Opening ceremony is gonno be poor as well. Resourceless Country!!
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by SeanT21(f): 1:30pm On Aug 10, 2008
seunbballo:

color=#006600]@ Where will they get the money from??

I bet the British may have started lobbying China behind the scenes for loan[/color]

Infact Gordon Brown still dey look 4 money from taxpayer and lotteryfund to fund london olympics 2012. The Opening ceremony is gonno be poor as well. Resourceless Country!!

Higher taxes on you brits!!!
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by bluesky4(f): 2:21pm On Aug 10, 2008
The opening ceremony was amazing, the chinese did very well.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 10, 2008
The Joker:

All the swimming events, the gymnastic events and the long distance cycling are such an awesome delight to watch. The fitness required is something else, and their physical condition and looks, OMG!
A challenge to those who don't give a siht about fitness and exercise and to all the orobokibos of land naira who just keep stuffing in more and more, get off your surplus and do something. 'm warning yu o! health is wealth, make yu no stand up one day just fall yakata, come wake up for yonder! one ear do sharp man.

On a sad note, "the fatal stabbing of the father of a former Olympian at a Beijing landmark cast a sad shadow over the first full day of Olympic competition Saturday, just hours after China's jubilant opening of the Summer Games.
Todd and Barbara Bachman of Lakeville, Minn. — parents of 2004 volleyball Olympian Elisabeth "Wiz" Bachman and in-laws of US. men's volleyball coach Hugh McCutcheon — were attacked by a Chinese man while visiting the 13th-century Drum Tower.

The assailant, Tang Yongming, 47, leapt to his death from a 130-foot high balcony on the Drum Tower, just five miles from the main Olympics site, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.

The US. Olympic Committee confirmed Bachman died from knife wounds and that Barbara Bachman suffered life-threatening lacerations and stab wounds. She and their Chinese tour guide, who was also injured in the attack, were being treated in a Beijing hospital".

Violent crime against foreigners is rare in tightly controlled China, and the assault occurred despite major security measures that have blanketed the capital city during the Olympics: A 100,000-strong security force plus countless volunteer guards have been deployed to protect against any trouble.

Beijing's Communist leaders are hypersensitive about anything that could take the shine off the games. China's Vice Foreign Minister He Yafei visited the Bachmans in the hospital". Source, Yahoo News.

Sad ehn sad
Yes o, trully amazing!!
Especially the female voilleyball team.

I heard about the voilent assualt on NBC, so sad!
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by klas(m): 7:52am On Aug 11, 2008
Sunday, Aug 10, 2008 9:29 pm EDT

Some Opening Ceremony fireworks were faked
By Chris Chase

If you watched the Opening Ceremony on Friday night, chances are you said something like, "no way that's possible" at least once. It turns out you were right.

London's Telegraph newspaper reports that some of the fireworks which appeared over Beijing during the television broadcast of the Olympic Opening Ceremony were actually computer generated. But -- hold on -- it's not necessarily as bad as you think.

The faked fireworks were actually set-off at the stadium, but because of potential dangers in filming the display live from a helicopter, viewers at home were shown a pre-recorded, computer-generated shot. It sounds dishonest, but I'm not sure it's such a terrible thing.

The Opening Ceremony is, at its core, just one big performance. And isn't it accepted that some things might not be legit at a performance? The final torch bearer wasn't actually running around the top of the stadium, does the fact that everyone could figure that out make it any less impressive? It might have been unnecessarily deceptive, but the firework-faking isn't really that big of a deal. But, if I found out that the lighted-drum thing wasn't on the up and up, then we'll have problems, China.

Source: Yahoo News

No be only naija bad belle dey.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by tijehi(f): 1:00pm On Aug 11, 2008
hen hen, i talk am, britain don enter trouble. wetin dem go come don now oooo. o, i just dey sorry for dem o. okay may be dem go come thief traditional ideas from Africa, as dem take thief our artifacts. Oh, China don put Britain for big wahala o. Anyway the "LADS" will need to think up something fast, cus, Four years aint that long a time.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by Shinatu: 1:49pm On Aug 11, 2008
@dOYIN13

@topic

I still think the lighting of the flame by the Archer at Barcelona is the best Opening ceremony moment I have seen.

God bless you! I did not think anyone would remember that. It was breathtaking and it still remains my best, if one should use the word spectacular for an event, then that one takes it.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by NegroNtns(m): 2:02pm On Aug 11, 2008
By Chris Chase

If you watched the Opening Ceremony on Friday night, chances are you said something like, "no way that's possible" at least once. It turns out you were right.

London's Telegraph newspaper reports that some of the fireworks which appeared over Beijing during the television broadcast of the Olympic Opening Ceremony were actually computer generated. But -- hold on -- it's not necessarily as bad as you think.

The faked fireworks were actually set-off at the stadium, but because of potential dangers in filming the display live from a helicopter, viewers at home were shown a pre-recorded, computer-generated shot. It sounds dishonest, but I'm not sure it's such a terrible thing.

The Opening Ceremony is, at its core, just one big performance. And isn't it accepted that some things might not be legit at a performance? The final torch bearer wasn't actually running around the top of the stadium, does the fact that everyone could figure that out make it any less impressive? It might have been unnecessarily deceptive, but the firework-faking isn't really that big of a deal. But, if I found out that the lighted-drum thing wasn't on the up and up, then we'll have problems, China.

BullShyit!!! What is Chris Chase smoking A pool of more than one thousand individually manned cameras positioned at different angles, none of which was chained together for synchronized output, was fake? You can generate sky displays with laser, with accompanied soundbites, but you cannot generate after-burn smoke with lasers. It should be passed on to MythBusters for fact finding - Chase (The Party-Pooper) will be dissapointed.
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by tpia: 2:47pm On Aug 11, 2008
klas:

Sunday, Aug 10, 2008 9:29 pm EDT

By Chris Chase

No be only naija bad belle dey.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I was about to post this myself. You beat me to it.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Beijing 2008 Olympics, Opening Ceremony by Mustay(m): 3:01pm On Aug 11, 2008
eh ehhe ehh

TV effect

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

John Mikel Obi Is Far Overrated! / Germany Vs Serbia [0 - 1] On June 18 2010 / America Musician Is Average Four Times Lucrative Than Playing Football

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.