Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

The Writer's Burden - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Writer's Burden (844 Views)

Whats The Writer's Mood? / My Mother's Burden (A SHORT STORY) / The N-A-K-E-D Convos' The Writer Competition Sponsored By Wema Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Writer's Burden by puskow(m): 7:56am On Jan 08, 2014
Have you ever tried to tell somebody how much you love them but it didn’t come out quite like the way you wanted it to? When the words were in your head, it felt perfect, but then you spoke… and the magic was gone. If you’re lucky, the recipient smiled and said something nice in return. If you’re having a bad day, he/she laughed in your face. Really loud.

But the reaction is beside the point. What really bothers you is the feeling of not having said what you really had in your head a minute before.

Writing is a lot like that.

When you start out to pour your thoughts on a blank page, the words are all jumbled up. Writing can be a painful experience because we try to capture and express things inside our hearts that are nigh impossible to describe. Words reduce them. Limit them. Make them seem almost ordinary.

I believe that’s one of the burdens of being a writer. We have the sacred task of conveying the ethereal into the tangible realm. We are like knights in pursuit of the Holy Grail. We’re always looking out for the best way to tell the story, to say what we mean.

Every time we sit to construct worlds, record events or tell stories, it’s like our personal call to war. Our enemy is that blank page and our task is to fill it with words. The right words.

Every writer who is serious about his/her craft obsesses over every word, every paragraph, every published piece, be it in a book, on a blog or even an SMS. It comes with the calling. As a writer, your calling is not just to say something, but to say it in the best possible way.

If you’ve ever written a piece and wondered, “maybe I should have approached it this way instead of that”, you are on this journey.

If you’ve ever read the writings of the maestros – Dickens, Austen, Twain, Ngugi, King, Lehane – and wondered, “when will my writing ever get this good?”, you are in the right company.

We all start the journey unsure of ourselves. The first step is always the shakiest. I remember reading some of my first articles I wrote when I was 20. It was soooooo terrible. But as I read, I saw the seeds of a pilgrim looking for the right words to convey messages from his soul back then. I did a little rewrite and the article became something I could show to the world.

The journey is long. All your favorite authors started this same journey right where you are now, feeling what you’re feeling. Today, they may be a little more confident, a little more competent, but they are still on this journey. They still search for the right words to say what they want.

Just like you.

So keep searching. And keep writing. You’re not alone.

www.ibukuntaiwo.com
Re: The Writer's Burden by whitemosquito(f): 9:07am On Jan 08, 2014
Hello. Was wooed by this post, spied ur blog and decided to follow you immediately...on Nl, that is. Cud u plz check out the first chapter of this story- She Came with Hope. It's here in the lit section. Only Honest-to-God comments allowed plz, no sugarcoating. Thanks.
Re: The Writer's Burden by glowingscenes(f): 6:16pm On Jan 08, 2014
Wooow, nice one...so true and down to earth
Front page things..... grin grin
where's mynd?
Re: The Writer's Burden by trixandra(f): 10:52pm On Jan 08, 2014
glowingscenes: Wooow, nice one...so true and down to earth
Front page things..... grin grin
where's mynd?
Seems we are thinking alike. Seconded.
Re: The Writer's Burden by chistar01(m): 7:34am On Jan 09, 2014
Can totally relate to this.

(1) (Reply)

The #iknowanigerianstar" Series: Meet Micheal Oluwaseun Bangbade-the 2060 Guy / Dust To Dust / Sisterly Love ( An Epic Reply After 6 Years)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.