Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,530 members, 7,819,909 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? (2143 Views)

Photo: What Would You Do If You Came Home And Saw Your Child Like This!! / 15 Items That Can Save Your Family’s Life / When Your Family Rejects Your Choice Of Partner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by Seun(m): 10:25pm On Sep 02, 2005
Hello there,

If you're married, you probably share the same religious faith with your spouse; you go to church, mosque, or religious meeting-place together and take your children along. You probably have prayer time once in a while or every day.

Now let's say you've been running your Muslim household, Christian family, or family of believers in whatever you believe for a while. You've been teaching your children in the path you believe they should go.

Then one day one of your children (probably your teenage firstborn) says "I have given my life to Christ" (and you're Muslims), or "I'm not going to church anymore" (and you're Christians) or "I don't believe in God anymore" or something along that line. Something that is contrary to all you've taught your child to believe in religion, faith, spirituality. Your child rejects your family religion!

How would you respond?
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by hotangel2(f): 8:32am On Sep 03, 2005
My child has the right to be whatever religion s/he wants to be. I won't stop her/him. I'll try talking to him/her, but if s/he refuses..... s/he can be any religion. I won't let religion be a barrier between I and my kids. All i know is, I've brought him/her up in the right way. If s/he doesn't wanna go that way, So be it.
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by Scorpio(f): 8:58pm On Sep 03, 2005
I second ur reply hot-angel! Religion really dosen't define a person, so it shouldn't b n e problem for me n my child!
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by layi(m): 7:37pm On Sep 04, 2005
I second HA. He/She's got his/her Life. I can only show my child the right path. Its his/her prerogative to go that way.
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by vexxy(f): 6:54pm On Sep 06, 2005
Very true. All you can do is teach the child. When they are older, they can make decisions. I would expect them to and hope they do.

But I also hope that in whatever decisions they make, they are able to handle the consequences be it good or bad. Also, that they are serious about it and have put much thought into it.

I would hope that they weren't making any "fly by the seat of your pants" decision just to rebel. But kids are kids. undecided smiley
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by cushman(m): 7:06pm On Sep 06, 2005
i'll commit murder
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by Scorpio(f): 7:41pm On Sep 06, 2005
Just cos d pikin say e no want ur church?
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by hotangel2(f): 6:43pm On Sep 08, 2005
I wonder ooo. rolleyes
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by salako: 9:51pm On Oct 12, 2005
in such an instance i would sacrifice the child to my god. it will show god i mean business, and it is a powerful lesson for the other children. wink
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by Seun(m): 10:24pm On Oct 12, 2005
I don't like the idea of parents mistreating their children in the name of "God". This is child abuse. What Abraham did when he wanted to sacrifice Isaac is also murder and child abuse, and since he was more than 20 years old at the time, I think Isaac had issues too. Allow my aged father to tie me up with the intention of stabbing and burning me to death? I don't think so!
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by Scorpio(f): 12:46am On Oct 13, 2005
It's been a while since i opened up the bible, but if i remember correctly, wasn't it God that asked Abraham to do that to his son just to test his faith[pls correct me if i'm wrong], where did child abuse come in then? cheesy
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by tunku(m): 5:32am On Oct 13, 2005
Nothing. I haven't been to church in years but its not like you can force someone to accept god. If you do it will end tragically.
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by Motee(f): 10:32am On Oct 13, 2005
The child is free to reject the family religion as long as the child is at the matured stage. Personally, I see no reason why my children will refuse my religion because who else will you serve if not God.
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by cushman(m): 12:50pm On Oct 13, 2005
That one na him "TORO"
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by Mustay(m): 1:56am On Jun 19, 2007
@ topic
na d parent fault be that. Most of us are in our present religions cos we were born in it
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by folushola(f): 8:35am On Jun 19, 2007
"I don't like the idea of parents mistreating their children in the name of "God". This is child abuse. What Abraham did when he wanted to sacrifice Isaac is also murder and child abuse, and since he was more than 20 years old at the time, I think Isaac had issues too. Allow my aged father to tie me up with the intention of stabbing and burning me to death? I don't think so!"

Mr. Man, better don't let the education/enlightenment of fundamental human rights becloud your sense of biblical reasoning
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by dominobaby(f): 9:12am On Jun 19, 2007
'train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he'll not depart from it' proverbs 22: 6. When i know i've done my part by His grace, and he/she still wants to go astray, then its the plot of the devil and over to God! I'll pray him back. Its not just about raising my children to be 'christians' but true children of God.

1 Like

Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by phizzy(m): 9:18am On Jun 19, 2007
@ Seun

Are you speaking from personal experience - especially when you said you don't believe in God anymore, What would you do if you were in your parents' shoes?
Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by Jaguar1(m): 9:25am On Jun 19, 2007
@seun Over sabi dey worry you. You think you already know everything. You are just 24 and still young, wait untill u become a parent. You can ban me on nairaland, it won't matter. I have been reading your post and you are allowing the so-called education affect your thinking.
As for me, he may choose whatever religion he likes but will only be wheb he/she has come of age and no longer under me.

1 Like

Re: What If Your Child Rejects Your Family Religion? by tck2000(m): 4:01pm On Jun 28, 2019
Ha

(1) (Reply)

Reason Why Some Young Children Suck Their Fingers / Woman Attempts Murder Of Husband By Poisoning Her Vagina / In Law Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.