Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

What You Need To Know About Diabetes Mellitus ( Type 1) - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What You Need To Know About Diabetes Mellitus ( Type 1) (504 Views)

20 Years Old And Diabetic. A Nairalander Who Is Type 1 Diabetic / Top Ten Facts About Diabetes / I Have Been Diagnosed With Type 1 Diabetes. Please Help Me Ooooh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What You Need To Know About Diabetes Mellitus ( Type 1) by Polchiz(m): 3:11pm On Jan 09, 2014
The term ' Diabetes' has become a household name in Nigeria. Unfortunately, uninformed people believe that it all has to do with SUGAR. As a result of this, they avoid sugar or anything that is sweet completely.

Diabetes Mellitus ( Type 1), sometimes referred to as insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, stems from an autoimmune destruction of the beta-cells of the pancreas and a consequent inability to produce sufficient insulin.

Characteristic symptoms are excessive thirst and frequent urination ( Polyuria), intake of large volume of water(Polydipsia) and excretion of large amounts of glucose in the urine (glucosuria).

Try and know all these:

1. It is inadequacy or lack of insulin that causes diabetes mellitus and not just sugar. This inadequacy may be as a result of genetic disorder or autoimmune destruction of beta-cells of the pancreas or mutation. Insulin functions to trigger the movement of GLUT4 glucose transporters to the plasma membrane in muscle and adipose tissue. When it is insufficient in an individual, blood glucose accumulates and results in diabetes mellitus ( Type 1).

2. It is not all sugars that cause diabetes mellitus. Glucose ALONE is the sugar responsible for diabetes. Therefore, many sweet foods that we avoid need not contain glucose and therefore are safe for consumption.

3. Aspartame is a protein ( a tripeptide) which is by far sweeter than glucose. Pharmaceutical industries use it to sweeten some drugs and it is safe for diabetic patients. So, it is not everything that is sweet that poses threat to our health.

Lastly, regardless of our insulin level, it is advisable that we regulate the level of glucose that we consume because even our body chemistry obeys physical laws i.e each time we consume much glucose, insulin synthesis is triggered. This will amount too much pressure on the pancreatic beta-cells and they may get to their elastic limit.

As Nigerians, I intend to make a list of our common diets and their glycemic index in my next post so that we can regulate our glucose intake.

Source: I am a health scientist.
Re: What You Need To Know About Diabetes Mellitus ( Type 1) by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jan 09, 2014
Thanks for d info op,wat of through inheritance cz my dad death is as a result of diabetes(may his soul rest in peace).is there any risk of having it tru dis?cz since he died I watch my sugar consumption
Re: What You Need To Know About Diabetes Mellitus ( Type 1) by Polchiz(m): 4:58pm On Jan 09, 2014
Certainly, it is possible. Also, it is necessary that we control our glucose intake regardless of whether you are prone to diabetes or not. Therefore, you are doing a good thing.
mightyAY: Thanks for d info op,wat of through inheritance cz my dad death is as a result of diabetes(may his soul rest in peace).is there any risk of having it tru dis?cz since he died I watch my sugar consumption

(1) (Reply)

An Introduction To Acne Problems / Birth Control Measure With Remote Control Will Last For 16 Years / Fitness Dance For Mental, Body And Mind Wellness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.