Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,027 members, 7,818,032 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:37 AM

Is Abortion Murder? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Abortion Murder? (2670 Views)

Abortion: Murder Or A Means Of Birth Control? / Is Abortion The Same As Murder? Is Abortion Forgivable? / Would You Abort? Advice Someone To Abort? Is Abortion Murder? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Abortion Murder? by Sepp360(m): 4:17pm On Jan 09, 2014
My main objective of writing this piece is neither to promote abortion nor to give factious justification to this same act, but to make clear what i think every adoloscent and adult should know!

Question: Is abortion Murder?
Answer: Good people disagree about the morality of abortion because we disagree about what defines human nature. First trimester abortions have absolutely no moral implications whatsoever- perhaps a first trimester embyo is no more than a kidney or spleen. Rather they would have had more serious moral implications-Our culture hasn't come to a consensus on that yet.

We know a little bit about murder, and the differences between murder and other forms of killing. And murder, in the way that we define it in all other instances involves the intentional death or another human person. Even if we were to assume that every embryo or fetus were just as sentient and just as much of a person as any other human being, an argument that is not supportable on the basic of scientific evidence; then the lack of knowledge and intent would still be enough to classify abortions as something other than murder.

Lets imagine a scenario in which two mwn go deer hunting. One man mistakes his friend for a deer, shoots him, and accidentally kills him. As long as we all agreed on the facts of the case, it's hard to imagine that any reasonable person would describe this as murder- even though we would all know for certain that a real, sentient human person was killed. Why? Because the shooter thought he was killing a deer- something other than a real, sentient human person.

Now consider the example of abortion. From the point of view of someone who believes that every fertilized egg is a sentient human being, then abortion would be horrific. Tragic. Lethal and highly immoral. But it would be no more murderous than any other kind of accidental death!..

Can a fetus be a victim of murder?
Only someone born alive could be killed, and the fetus is not a human being. Murder charges can only apply to fetuses older than seven weeks, or beyond the embryonic stage

thus, if abortion during the first trimester of pregnancy is murder, then ejaculation of millions of sperms out of the scrotum and into the wrong place is as well homicide!...

NOTE: Abortion is wrong if you do it for the wrong reasons and later regret it!...
Abortion is not murder and its apparently not wrong if you do it for the right reasons!...

1 Like

Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Mynd44: 4:29pm On Jan 09, 2014
This is gonna be good

2 Likes

Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Sepp360(m): 4:32pm On Jan 09, 2014
Mynd_44: This is gonna be good
Certainly!...
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Obinoscopy(m): 4:33pm On Jan 09, 2014
Conception begins right after fertilization. Once the diploid zygote has been formed by the fusion of the haploid spermatozoa and ovum, it becomes a living being that has the potential to become pluripotent and replicate into a grown being. Thus anything done to prevent the continued existence of the zygote/embryo amounts to termination of life and is murder
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by cdamsel(f): 4:37pm On Jan 09, 2014
I'm sorry I didn't finish the 1st paragraph bt just read your concluding statement. No matter how u Look @ it,it is 100% wrong don't think there is any justifiable reason
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Mynd44: 4:42pm On Jan 09, 2014
cdamsel: I'm sorry I didn't finish the 1st paragraph bt just read your concluding statement. No matter how u Look @ it,it is 100% wrong don't think there is any justifiable reason
Mollestation, inbreeding, risk to the mother's life etc

2 Likes

Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Ballotti: 4:48pm On Jan 09, 2014
Was Jesus murdered or ABORTED? cool
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jan 09, 2014
It's really hard to get past the errors and falsehoods in the OP's submission. I think the OP will get a more stimulating discussion if this piece is streamlined. For example, OP said if someone believes a fetus is sentient, then they would believe abortion is the same as accidentally shooting another human. How? What's the basis of this conclusion?

Also the piece about the sperm expulsion being homicide is just there for the shock value and lends no real credence to this argument.

Also, no explanation whatsoever for the following contradiction?

Sepp360:
Can a fetus be a victim of murder?
Only someone born alive could be killed, and the fetus is not a human being. Murder charges can only apply to fetuses older than seven weeks, or beyond the embryonic stage
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Sepp360(m): 5:24pm On Jan 09, 2014
Ballotti: Was Jesus murdered or ABORTED? cool
There was no reason at all to abort him!... Leave religion out of this!
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by crackhaus: 5:27pm On Jan 09, 2014
Abortion - willful termination of a pregnancy before it gets to full term.

Pregnancy - sentient 'life' (early stages) or holding within the 'life' of another.

Murder - willful or negligent termination of 'life'.

Going by the above definitions and co-relating one with the other, it's accurate to say, 'Abortion' is indeed 'Murder' in the sense that it is a termination of life, whether sentient or otherwise.

The analogy used in that article about the hunter mistakenly firing a shot is also 'murder' by definition, although it would rather be viewed as 'negligent man-slaughter' in a court of law.

Now looking at this from a christian POV, there is a law against murder which does not specify what form, shape or size the victim should be in...it will still be murder, just as in abortion as long as a life (sentient or otherwise) is involved.

Another POV would be a more liberal one where the definition of murder is relative but not totally exclusive to an independent living entity with or without(animals) the right to life.
In this case, one can only be said to commit murder if the victim is 'an independent living entity' or 'one with a right to live'.....unfortunately, an unborn child or foetus does not qualify as an 'independent living entity' and also for the reason of not yet being born, is not yet protected by the laws of the land which it will be born.

The whole idea of abortion to me is way blown out of proportion.
I believe there are many health, family planning, financial, and personal reasons why a person would want to commit abortion.
Should they be tagged as criminals or murderers? I don't think so, because that would just mean that an innocent woman undergoing family planning is a also a murderer by all accounts.

In my opinion, yes abortion is frowned upon when it is an unmarried single woman involved, but when a married woman whose contraceptives failed does the same thing, it is called family planning. DOUBLE STANDARDS I TELL YOU!
If the religious folks are going to be the judge of the morality of abortion, then I also say in my opinion that such judgement be left for God on the day of judgement...HE made the law and should be the only one to sentence it's tresspassers.

Abortion is murder, it is also not murder...it just depends on how a person chooses to relate and from what perspective he/she wants to view it from.

3 Likes

Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Sepp360(m): 5:28pm On Jan 09, 2014
cdamsel: I'm sorry I didn't finish the 1st paragraph bt just read your concluding statement. No matter how u Look @ it,it is 100% wrong don't think there is any justifiable reason
there are reasonable reasons, which are so justifiable!... Gettin rid of an embryo during the first trimester can't be termed as murder!... I just wish you'd open your mind to see something worthy in it!
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Domwiz4all(m): 5:29pm On Jan 09, 2014
NO, Abortion is not a Murder, it is killing an innocent Child
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by cdamsel(f): 5:34pm On Jan 09, 2014
Mynd_44:
Mollestation, inbreeding, risk to the mother's life etc
ok my bad,those re genuine reasons
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Sepp360(m): 5:35pm On Jan 09, 2014
crackhaus: Abortion - willful termination of a pregnancy before it gets to full term.

Pregnancy - sentient 'life' (early stages) or holding within the 'life' of another.

Murder - willful or negligent termination of 'life'.

Going by the above definitions and co-relating one with the other, it's accurate to say, 'Abortion' is indeed 'Murder' in the sense that it is a termination of life, whether sentient or otherwise.

The analogy used in that article about the hunter is also 'murder' by definition, although it would rather be viewed as 'negligent man-slaughter' in a court of law.

Now looking at this from a christian POV, there is a law against murder which does not specify what form, shape or size the victim should be in...it will still be murder, just as in abortion.

Another POV would be a more liberal one where the definition of murder is relative but not totally exclusive to an independent living being with or without(animals) a right to live.
In this case, one can only be said to commit murder if the victim is 'an independent living entity' or 'one with a right to live'.....unfortunately, an unborn child or foetus does not qualify as an 'independent living being' and also for the reason of not yet being born, is not yet protected by the laws of the land which it will be born.

The whole idea of abortion to me is way too blown out of proportion.
I believe there are many health, family planning, financial, and personal reasons why a person would want to commit abortion.
Should they be tagged as criminals or murderers? I don't think so, because that would just mean that an innocent woman undergoing family planning is a also a murderer by all accounts.

In my opinion, yes abortion is frowned upon when it is an unmarried single woman involved, but when a married woman whose contraceptives failed does the same thing, it is called family planning. DOUBLE STANDARDS I TELL YOU!
If the religious folks are going to be the judge of the morality of abortion, then I also say in my opinion that such judgement be left for God on the day of judgement...HE made the law and should be the only one to sentence it's tresspassers.

Abortion is murder, it is also not murder...it just depends on how a person chooses to relate and from what perspective he/she wants to view it from.
how many "likes" would you wish for?...

You made so much sense!.. Thanks for the points! You seem to buttress my opinions for me!
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by cdamsel(f): 5:38pm On Jan 09, 2014
Sepp360: there are reasonable reasons, which are so justifiable!... Gettin rid of an embryo during the first trimester can't be termed as murder!... I just wish you'd open your mind to see something worthy in it!
1st trimester isn't murder? Except for those reasons mynd mentioned I don't c how abortion should be justified
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Ballotti: 5:41pm On Jan 09, 2014
Sepp360: There was no reason at all to abort him!... Leave religion out of this!

On the contrary, he was aborted AS AN ADULT! kiss

By YOU 'FUNNY' CHRISTIANS! kiss
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Sepp360(m): 5:43pm On Jan 09, 2014
ileobatojo: It's really hard to get past the errors and falsehoods in the OP's submission. I think the OP will get a more stimulating discussion if this piece is streamlined. For example, OP said if someone believes a fetus is sentient, then they would believe abortion is the same as accidentally shooting another human. How? What's the basis of this conclusion?

Also the piece about the sperm expulsion being homicide is just there for the shock value and lends no real credence to this argument.

Also, no explanation whatsoever for the following contradiction?

if you can go to some extent to support family planning and contraceptions, why then would abortion be abhored! You undergo family planning because you don't need a child (life), thats murder in disguise.

If live begins at conception, then its necessary for every sperm to fuse wif every ovum, no sperm should be wasted 'cos its a cell...*a unit of life*
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Sepp360(m): 5:46pm On Jan 09, 2014
Obinoscopy: Conception begins right after fertilization. Once the diploid zygote has been formed by the fusion of the haploid spermatozoa and ovum, it becomes a living being that has the potential to become pluripotent and replicate into a grown being. Thus anything done to prevent the continued existence of the zygote/embryo amounts to termination of life and is murder
what is an embryo? Don't be biologically biased!...
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Sepp360(m): 5:48pm On Jan 09, 2014
Domwiz4all: NO, Abortion is not a Murder, it is killing an innocent Child
wrong!... A fetus/embryo is not a child!... Get ur facts right!..
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jan 09, 2014
Sepp360: if you can go to some extent to support family planning and contraceptions, why then would abortion be abhored! You undergo family planning because you don't need a child (life), thats murder in disguise.

This doesn't address any of the issues I raised.

Sepp360:
If live begins at conception, then its necessary for every sperm to fuse wif every ovum, no sperm should be wasted 'cos its a cell...*a unit of life*

How?

shocked shocked

How is it necessary for every sperm to fuse with every ovum because life begins at conception??
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Sepp360(m): 5:50pm On Jan 09, 2014
cdamsel: 1st trimester isn't murder? Except for those reasons mynd mentioned I don't c how abortion should be justified
atleast you found one reason!.. Thats enough for me!
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Sepp360(m): 5:52pm On Jan 09, 2014
Ballotti:

On the contrary, he was aborted AS AN ADULT! kiss

By YOU 'FUNNY' CHRISTIANS! kiss
lolz!... I'm a christian, but not a "funny" one!..
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Ballotti: 5:59pm On Jan 09, 2014
OP, did you google this topic first?
It is worse than the proverbial "DEAD 'ORSE'!!!

Haba wa!!!!! cry
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by crackhaus: 6:00pm On Jan 09, 2014
Sepp360: how many "likes" would you wish for?...

You made so much sense!.. Thanks for the points! You seem to buttress my opinions for me!
LoL! Funny you.

It's simple really if people realize that there are only very few absolute principles and laws in nature, some of which would be the laws of gravity, sound, light, motion etc.. These are absolute and abided by every single life form on earth without prejudice or bias.

There are also the biblical laws which are totally absolute in its entirety but not everyone is a follower of christ, so that just re-calibrates the meaning of 'absolute' in that sense.

There are the governing laws also, most of which derive from both biblical and absolute laws...and also from ethical laws which are also partial derivatives of natural and biblical laws.

Like I said, there is hardly an absolute principle or law with the exception of those natural laws...what we have are events and circumstances, some people call it 'cause and effect'.
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Sepp360(m): 6:07pm On Jan 09, 2014
crackhaus:
LoL! Funny you.

It's simple really if people realize that there are only very few absolute principles and laws in nature, some of which would be the laws of gravity, sound, light, motion etc.. These are absolute and abided by every single life form on earth without prejudice or bias.

There are also the biblical laws which are totally absolute in its entirety but not everyone is a follower of christ, so that just re-calibrates the meaning of 'absolute' in that sense.

There are the governing laws also, most of which derive from both biblical and absolute laws...and also from ethical laws which are also partial derivatives of natural and biblical laws.

Like I said, there is hardly an absolute principle or law with the exception of those natural laws...what we have are events and circumstances, some people call it 'cause and effect'.
*Smilez*... God bless you!... Life is all about events and circumstances!..
Thanks!
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Sepp360(m): 6:09pm On Jan 09, 2014
ileobatojo:

This doesn't address any of the issues I raised.

How?

shocked shocked

How is it necessary for every sperm to fuse with every ovum because life begins at conception??
hahaha!... It sounds baseless to you ba? Your own points sound worse!... Funny one shaa!
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Obinoscopy(m): 11:03am On Jan 10, 2014
Sepp360: what is an embryo? Don't be biologically biased!...
An embryo is a living thing! It has a brain, a spinal cord, a heart, and even a gastrointestinal tract. On the outside, you'll observe that the embryo has eyes, head, legs, hands, etc. The heart of an embryo beats and blood flows within him/her. How can we then say that the killing of an embryo ain't murder? May God have mercy on us all.
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by ifyalways(f): 2:01pm On Jan 10, 2014
Define murder @ OP.

Having an unwanted child then dumping him/her in a septic tank or selling the child off to some idiiiiiiot who thinks that eating the child's heart will bring him riches is worst than murder,IMO.

If its not wanted,unloved and cannot be taken care of,get rid of it asap.- My personal stand,not up for debates or anyones approval.

1 Like

Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Sepp360(m): 2:03pm On Jan 10, 2014
Obinoscopy: An embryo is a living thing! It has a brain, a spinal cord, a heart, and even a gastrointestinal tract. On the outside, you'll observe that the embryo has eyes, head, legs, hands, etc. The heart of an embryo beats and blood flows within him/her. How can we then say that the killing of an embryo ain't murder? May God have mercy on us all.
hey!... Get ur facts right!...
An embryo is just a mass of tissues; a "potential human life" if may put it dah way!... If really you studied biology in school, how does a tissue posses everything above its stage/strata of growth and development!
An embryo is not a fully developed human, neither is it conscious!... Its not viable outside the womb and it solely depends on its mother for everything!... An embryo at the first trimester of pregnancy is not human!
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Obinoscopy(m): 2:07pm On Jan 10, 2014
Sepp360: hey!... Get ur facts right!...
An embryo is just a mass of tissues; a "potential human life" if may put it dah way!... If really you studied biology in school, how does a tissue posses everything above its stage/strata of growth and development!
An embryo is not a fully developed human, neither is it conscious!... Its not viable outside the womb and it solely depends on its mother for everything!... An embryo at the first trimester of pregnancy is not human!
You are the one who needs to get your facts right. Go and read up The Human Embryo.
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Sepp360(m): 2:22pm On Jan 10, 2014
Obinoscopy: You are the one who needs to get your facts right. Go and read up The Human Embryo.
would you rather prefer me callin you stubborn or confused?... I asked abt an embryo, not "a human embryo"... Wat ansa do you want from me since yhu've already qualified ur own embryo as "human"!
Re: Is Abortion Murder? by Obinoscopy(m): 2:33pm On Jan 10, 2014
Sepp360: would you rather prefer me callin you stubborn or confused?... I asked abt an embryo, not "a human embryo"... Wat ansa do you want from me since yhu've already qualified ur own embryo as "human"!
So your bone of contention is the "Human" there? SMH. Okay do me the favor and remove the word "Human," go and read up about the Embryo and Embryology.

Find below, a pix of an embryo for your perusal:

(1) (2) (Reply)

Seyi Adebayo Family Story ....part1 / Fine Madam and Oga: Why the Bad English? / When Your In-laws Behave This Way, What Will You Do? Advice Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.