Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,741 members, 7,824,138 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Critical Analysis Of " The Figurine " By Ankara Boi - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Critical Analysis Of " The Figurine " By Ankara Boi (1741 Views)

When Movies Were Movies – A Retrospective Analysis Of Nollywood / ::::Xclusive BADDEST BOI THURSDAY" with Terry Tha Rapman / 'Critical Assignment' Movie with Nigerian Actors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Critical Analysis Of " The Figurine " By Ankara Boi by FoxyFlow(m): 11:51am On Jan 10, 2014
I initially hyped The Figurine before I even had the time to watch it. Now that I have, my take on the movie is simple - Kunle Afolayan(Sola), should not have stared in that role, his dialogue towards the end with Femi(Ramsey Noah) when Femi hit Sola at the shrine with a wooden plank and killed him, was flawed and painstakingly unbelievable. So far, that has been my only critique on the movie.

I commend Jovi Babs on the script writing but I do not take a liking to his cheesy dialogue lines and the overt energy it took to make the story sound mysterious with lines such as -

Sola - But Why you go talk sey you no go fit help us?(With a little bit of an American Accent at the end of that line)

Soldier - Look I no fit help, we no dey tread pass that place again. Una people sey den see winch inside there. We no dey tread past that place again.

That caption was the opening sentence of the scene before they traveled to Araromire's shrine, and why the repetition like its poetry?

Do you get my point? Sola might as well have opened the scene with his caption as "Oga you gasto help us o. We really need your help to enter that place". Now it sounds more believable for an opening scene, in my opinion.

I really loved the screen shots, the angles, the track in's and out of Araromire the statue, kudos to Kunle Afolayan on that.

I found out that on close up shots, the sound was better, but on distant shots, the sound wasn't so contained, it sounded like doves been released from a cage, with echo's and tiny sound distortions.

Mona(Omoni Oboli) was superb in acting but there was a flawed dialogue between her and Femi(Ramsey Noah)at the garden where they both sat down and she told him about the ill luck the Araromire statue was going to bring after 7years. This was the dialogue -

Mona - There's something I've been meaning to ask you, did your luck suddenly change after our NYSC?

Mona(Omoni) - Did things start to go in your favor even when you don't deserve it?

Trust me, just the way the question was put, sounds really cheesy(in a mysterious kind of way). Jovi Babs(The writer) must have run out of ideas here. Now here's the worst reply ever -

Femi(Ramsey) - (face down)Mona, if everything I ever wanted was at my feet (looks up), then you would be my wife, not Sola's. Junior would be my son, and the unborn child would be mine.

Femi then ends the sentence with "If every thing I wanted was at my feet" like its poetry. This is not an Elizabeth(an) movie for christ's sake.

All in all, I enjoyed the entirety of the movie, was worth the wait. I take back my earlier comment that this was ground breaking, but it sure did raise the bar. I look forward to Nollywood shooting a blockbuster with buildings collapsing and stuff. Ooo, oooo, and I forgot to add that the question at the end of the movie - "What do you believe?" Was stale and totally unnecessary. I thought we stopped doing that since Glamor Girls.

The Figurine
Mike.
Re: Critical Analysis Of " The Figurine " By Ankara Boi by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jan 10, 2014
lol...Figurine of Since when?

btw, Jovi Babs didn't write the script.

This your criticism get as e be....E be like sey make me sef dey criticize your writeup grin grin grin grin grin. Don't tell me you are an aspiring critic o...You gat a lot of homework to do grin grin grin grin.
Re: Critical Analysis Of " The Figurine " By Ankara Boi by FoxyFlow(m): 10:28pm On Jan 10, 2014
speedyboi: lol...Figurine of Since when?

btw, Jovi Babs didn't write the script.

This your criticism get as e be....E be like sey make me sef dey criticize your writeup grin grin grin grin grin. Don't tell me you are an aspiring critic o...You gat a lot of homework to do grin grin grin grin.

Me? No o... No be me be the original writer ooo
Re: Critical Analysis Of " The Figurine " By Ankara Boi by Nobody: 11:02pm On Jan 10, 2014
Foxy_Flow:

Me? No o... No be me be the original writer ooo

why you wan dey deny now? Aswear, I wasn't going to bash you sad sad sad sad.

Oya add your source sharperly! grin grin Na that one fit cause gbege cos I hate plagiarists angry.
Re: Critical Analysis Of " The Figurine " By Ankara Boi by FoxyFlow(m): 11:07pm On Jan 10, 2014
speedyboi:

why you wan dey deny now? Aswear, I wasn't going to bash you sad sad sad sad.

Oya add your source sharperly! grin grin Na that one fit cause gbege cos I hate plagiarists angry.

You should know Ankara Boi from "X-Factors". You need another soup again?
Re: Critical Analysis Of " The Figurine " By Ankara Boi by Nobody: 11:28pm On Jan 10, 2014
Foxy_Flow:

You should know Ankara Boi from "X-Factors".

we don't know him ooo. give us the link to where you copied this article wink wink
Re: Critical Analysis Of " The Figurine " By Ankara Boi by Kingademos(m): 12:10am On Jan 11, 2014
heard about this film I think I need to watch it...
btw y must dy use my name in almost every films

(1) (Reply)

I Registered For 2014, Gulder Ultimate Search 11 / Producing A Documentary Film Is More Challenging Than Making A Movie / Dstv Rolls Out Toll Free Numbers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.