Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,434 members, 7,853,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 06:58 AM

Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? (1882 Views)

Poll: Obasanjo was better than Yar'Adua

Strongly agree: 35% (11 votes)
Agree: 16% (5 votes)
Disagree: 19% (6 votes)
Strongly disagree: 29% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Ribadu Later Realised Obasanjo Was Using Him –soyinka / Obasanjo Was A Clueless War Commander —gen Alabi-isama / Obasanjo Was A Workaholic: Nearly Died Of Diabetes In 2005 - Atiku (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by agaba123(m): 3:57pm On Aug 10, 2008
I think Nigeria faired better under OBJ than the mess we are in at the moment under Yar'Adua.

This guy simply has no direction and should not be a president. However I blame Obasanjo for what he did. because he was looking for soemone who would not prosecute him, he installed a lame duck. God Save Nigeria.

How would you rate the performance of President Umaru Yar'Adua after one year and half in office?

Negative; not even zero. Obasanjo is one million times better than Yar'Adua because, at least, Obasanjo makes decisions, tries to force his will, and the country is moving, not static - even if it is negatively. Obasanjo was fighting corruption, though we claim he was using it against his enemies alone. But what you should remember is that Obasanjo's enemies are not allowed to steal; therefore if he reduces corruption even from among his enemies, it means you have reduced corruption by nearly 80 per cent because I know that Obasanjo's enemies are more than 80 per cent of Nigerians. But in this case, Yar'Adua has only come to endorse corruption.

This guy prolly read my mind.

http://www.independentngonline.com/poli/lead/article01
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by WilyWily: 4:04pm On Aug 10, 2008
No difference between CocoaMan and Desertman. they are thesame
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by agaba123(m): 5:00pm On Aug 10, 2008
WilyWily:

No difference between CocoaMan and Desertman. they are thesame
Well that's your opinion.
Lets see what others have to say.
I am never a fan of Obj. In fact I was thinkinh YA is someone we could trust but . .hell no
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 10, 2008
at least OBJ choose him own chief of staff and National security adviser.

The current President no sabi the implication of allowing Ibori and Saraki to appoint chief of staff, national security adviser, inspector general of police, EFCC boss and its members, private permanent secretary to Aso Villa.

These guys go soon appoint Chief of defence staff and Chief of Army staff, na that time we go come sabi say true true Yaradua don sell Nigeria to the highest bidder.
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by cescky(m): 7:11pm On Aug 10, 2008
at least obj openly showed his dirty antics for all to see, his lack of orientation and encouragement for looting the nations wealth and went on cnn to proudly announce that all nigerians were happy and prosperous while he was on a spending spree of tax payers money(i nor too blame am afterall hes not a gradute per say)

but yaradua, hmmmmm that guys worse he came in forming holy holy, now he's true color is coming out, he and he had the brains to say he spent the first one year of his administration planning his strategies thats why hes yet to achieve anything( this guys a prof or a doctor i presume or at least a lecturerer) imagine this?

if in one yr he cant do jack,what can he do in 3yrs? or what makes him think he'll get a second tenure . . . . . . . . . well hes sure cos he'll probbaly rig the nxt election.

sorry for this nation, see the reward ribadu got for serving his nation under the nose of his hausa brother shocked shocked and holy mallam aka yaradua.
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by doyin13(m): 7:29pm On Aug 10, 2008
Eh Ehn. . . .so you people are waking up.

I know lots of you have convicted Obj before he is even charged, but use your bloody senses,
isn't it clear there is something of a conspiracy if different agencies of government are mentioning
all kinds of figures pertaining to the Power sector. They are producing figures willy nilly in order to play to the
gallery.

I don't like Obj, he is conceited, vainglorious etc. But I can bet he will not liberally just put money in his pocket a la Abacha.
He might award himself and his close associates the contracts on favourable terms, but that's about it.

But you cannot deny that under Obj, there was a sense that the country was at least moving. It might have all been perception,
but at least, people were excited about the prospects of the country.

Yaradua needs to re jig his PR men cause they are pathetic. They needs to be a lot of informing if not misinforming to get people
excited again.
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by noetic(m): 7:32pm On Aug 10, 2008
@ topic

and whats the basis of the comparison?
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by agaba123(m): 12:40am On Aug 11, 2008
The basis of comparison include leadership style and the way it impacts on the economy and stance on corruption.
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by kosovo(m): 8:03am On Aug 11, 2008
yar adua has gotten everything wrong.
he has become so unpopular, indecive, weak and maybe stupid!
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by Abagworo(m): 11:33am On Aug 11, 2008
Obasanjo was a round peg in a square hole,while Yar'Adua is a square peg that cannot even enter the round hole.Lol.
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Aug 20, 2008
mikeansy:

at least OBJ choose him own chief of staff and National security adviser.

The current President no sabi the implication of allowing Ibori and Saraki to appoint chief of staff, national security adviser, inspector general of police, EFCC boss and its members, private permanent secretary to Aso Villa.

These guys go soon appoint Chief of defence staff and Chief of Army staff, na that time we go come sabi say true true Yaradua don sell Nigeria to the highest bidder.

I don predict am before

Yaradua don kukuma sell Nigeria

http://saharareporters.com/www/news/detail/?id=701
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by ssRhino: 7:54pm On Aug 20, 2008
They are both muppets
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by PapaBrowne(m): 8:11pm On Aug 20, 2008
Ha! I've said this long ago! I wonder why people had hopes on YarAdua. It was plain senseless to think that a man that performed zero in Katsina state was going to do something for Nigeria.

OBJ was way better. Even if he wasn't so good, he had very guys working for him.

We can point to the likes of Soludo, Ribadu, El-Rufai, Okonjo Iweala, Ezekwesili and a lot of other strong performers.
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by Epiphany(m): 3:26pm On Aug 21, 2008
I agree. Obj was DOING THINGS, even though they turned out to be futile or wrong. Yar'Adua is doing NOTHING.
I mean, Obj was a man of the press (even though he often insulted them). What i mean by that is, he was always giving speeches, speaking on his talk shows, giving an opinion of something, travelling abroad (the first few years), DOING SOMETHING.
The present guy na just siddon look. A bloody mumu.
I dont mean to be tribalistic o, but he is behaving like a typical Hausa/Fulani man!
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by Kobojunkie: 3:38pm On Aug 21, 2008
PapaBrowne:

Ha! I've said this long ago! I wonder why people had hopes on YarAdua. It was plain senseless to think that a man that performed zero in Katsina state was going to do something for Nigeria.
OBJ was way better. Even if he wasn't so good, he had very guys working for him.

We can point to the likes of Soludo, Ribadu, El-Rufai, Okonjo Iweala, Ezekwesili and a lot of other strong performers.

Right on the mark! I am not a fan of Obasanjo's. Infact, he disappointed me but I can not for the life of me understand how Yar adua seemed the best replacement?
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by dearie(m): 6:33pm On Aug 21, 2008
I think OBJ had some achievements and Yar Adua will sure record some, but while the former was very stern and firm the latter is weak, and i guess that's the major thing discrediting his government. I really dont doubt Yar Adua's good intentions, but he appears too weak to confront the CABAL or Mafia pulling the nation down.

In Summary, none is better than the other!
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by RibaduFan(m): 10:43pm On Aug 21, 2008
Same ni

Same of the same. No difference

Selfish
Self serving
Decetiful
Manipulative
Greedy
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by faoni572(m): 10:18am On Aug 22, 2008
@Topic, Obasanjo is far far better than Yaradua who has no direction
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by SegzyJoe(m): 11:15am On Aug 22, 2008
@post

It may be too early to judge Yar Adua but OBJ did a lot for this country given the circumstance of the time he came to power. In term of seal and economic blueprint to take Nigeria out of the wood, recently Nigeria is now among the NEW EMERGING MARKET, debt cancellation, banking reform, GSM, Stock Exchange, etc. He didn't get it right in the power sector but atleast he attempted it, this is different from lack of investment by successive government in the sector for over 20years, again it was the first time an attempt was made at fightin official corruption in Nigeria

Above all Nigeria is a difficult country and not for chicken liver people, the mere fact that all political class that always stick to themselves were all against OBJ after his regime shows that it was not business as usual during his time, the truth is some people live on government all their life, those people are back unfortunately they had a strong grip on Yar Adua.

Corruption is an acceptable social phenomenon in Nigeria, it makes it more a challenge for a weak president like Yar Adau, OBJ is a General but he became more dictatorial to deal with this terrible element "Mafia" in Nigeria.

A lot need to be done, public institution that will be the harbinger of good governance have been destroyed by military govt for more than thirty years of our independence, even the constitution was militarilized and faulty. All OBJ did was to put the structures in place, it was very difficult for him because these structures are highly strategic to resource allocation and who get what in the Nigerian political economy.

This may  be hard to swallow, Nigeria needs more of "OBJ's good qualities" to move forward, anybody can check history of most develop countries today, most of them have been in this type of situation before and were able to solve their problems with the kind of leader I called "BENEVOLENT DICTATORSHIP" I nairalanders may disagree with this view but that is my stake.
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by ssRhino: 1:05pm On Aug 22, 2008
Yar'Adua is like a mouse lost in a big cage, i dont even think he knows what he ought to be doing, he is a shame.
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by idupaul: 3:10pm On Aug 25, 2008
hw can a variable that has been assigned a zero value be better than another assigned the same value, both are useless
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by bawomolo(m): 3:40pm On Aug 25, 2008
obasanjo's 2nd term isn't that much better than y'ar adua's first. obasanjo was just active with minimal results(well give him GSM) while y'ar adua seems to have ceded all his powers to the senate
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by madamkoko: 3:55pm On Aug 25, 2008
idupaul:

hw can a variable that has been assigned a zero value be better than another assigned the same value, both are useless

I concur!!!1

How can someone compare two morons ? Its shows the extremely low standards we Nigerians have, when it comes to leaders.

Comparing Hitler to Bush. I don't see a difference/anything worth comparing.
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by Truequest(m): 3:59pm On Aug 25, 2008
No basis for comparison as far as I'm concerned.
These are different men with diiferent approach
to issues. Am I pleased with either of them? NO.
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by darfur(m): 4:01pm On Aug 25, 2008
madamkoko:

How can someone compare two morons ? Its shows the extremely low standards we Nigerians have, when it comes to leaders.

how low can a country get?

yaradua is not dissappointing me. what do you expect from such an election? you cant get apples by planting oranges
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by Ruddyface(f): 11:15pm On Aug 25, 2008
Yar'adua is an indecisive, weak, double speaking man. He sleeps while Turai, James and Bukola call the shots right from his own room!

He is a stop gap president as he was as a governor. he got the state allocation and returned most of it. He would not even make a good banker! He does not have what it takes to rule Nigeria. We got what we deserve !

Though in his 50s, he does not even possess the physical strength of the 72 year-old OBJ! Haba! One of the first things he did as a president was to reduce the frequency of the FEC meetings - he could not withstand the stress!

I didn't - and still do not admire OBJ - but he was like a superstar beside Yar'adua(the man who did what every Nigerian leader from Gowon ran away from doing - haplessly handing a part of his country to another, when the Senate had already given him the excuse he needed not to comply).

One wonders whether this president would have obeyed the ICJ if the decision were over Jibia in Katsina State and not Bakassi!

Pssst! Hisses
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by bawomolo(m): 2:24am On Aug 26, 2008
why would anyone compare hitler to bush. let's not go out of bounds here. obj is action with little results while y'ar adua is all talk and no action.
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by dgratrock: 2:41am On Aug 26, 2008
bawomolo:

why would anyone compare hitler to bush. let's not go out of bounds here. obj is action with little results while y'ar adua is all talk and no action.
yes obj is better than yar'adua as an autocratic, selfish , corrupt, and deceptive president lipsrsealed
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by OBJ3(m): 3:57pm On Aug 26, 2008
go ahead and talk rubbish . now you guys will know that obasanjo was the best thing that happened to nigeria's political environment
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by chidichris(m): 7:10pm On Aug 26, 2008
kettle vs pot
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by CyberG: 7:59pm On Aug 26, 2008
Obasanjo, with all the experience and intelligence available to him as President, installed Yaradua as President! Of course, I would think it was intentional and wanted someone who will forever remain in his shadows, so I think the question of better than NEVER arises!

Yaradua, not kow-towing to him is hardly I believe, a product of his own decision, intelligence, clear vision or CLUE on how to develop that country! Reading the news and observing what is happening, Yaradua was greatly influenced by Turai his wife who loves the position so much and wants Yaradua to appear as a man of his own - bragging rights! Add to that the array of thieves who financed his election and Yaradua's IOUs could never be paid in a life time -- so he would dance to their tunes! Any wonder Ibori, Saraki and co run Nigeria by proxy? Can anyone say that Yaradua appointed is cabinet himself or they were all foisted on the CLUELESS president?
Re: Obasanjo Was Better Than Yar'adua? by maxsiollun: 8:13pm On Aug 26, 2008
OBJ stepped on some powerful toes while he was in government. His anti-corruption drive made him many enemies. This is whynhis and Ribadu's character are now being assassinated.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News:ribadu And Shekarau Pull Out Of Presidential Race, Approves Buhari! / Group Wants New State Created From Kaduna / New Currency Note in Nigeria '' Faroukas''- (F620,000)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.