Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,082 members, 7,825,411 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Is First Fruit Offering Important? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is First Fruit Offering Important? (2544 Views)

Should Christians Give First Fruit Offering? / Giving Your Wedding Night To God As A First Fruit Of Marriage? - No Intimacy / First Fruit Offering Is Brainwashing! Tunde Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is First Fruit Offering Important? by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jan 10, 2014
For the past 4years now, most pentecostal pastors have been preaching paying first fruit offering which means the first salary or money you earn as to go to the church.. I mean all of it (100%). If you earn 5k per month, you have to pay the 5k into the church by end of January when you are paid. I believe in tithing and offerings, pledges and vows because money is the vehicle of the gospel but I don't believe in first fruit offerings. Though I'm not and I will not condemn those that choose to give theirs, after all its not my money but I think the idea of giving money and expecting big money in return is kind of not too good after all God sees our heart. I want Pastor Tunde Bakare to speak on this and I want fellow nairalanders to share their opinion on this matter
Re: Is First Fruit Offering Important? by PAGAN9JA(m): 1:31pm On Jan 10, 2014
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

This is real extortion and slavery!

First time Im hearing this!

WAKE UP PEOPLE! THIS IS UNFAIR! angry angry angry angry

If you really want to give your first "fruit" to God, then use it to help the poor children, etc.

THANK GODS MY ANCESTORS DIDNT CONVERT TO THIS EVIL RELIGION! angry

Please op. Im not saying this to just annoy you. infact you remain christian if you want. but please use your damn common sense!
Dont pay this your hard money to greedy church and pastor! angry
Re: Is First Fruit Offering Important? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Jan 10, 2014
Of course it is extremely important, how else will all the G.O's, Abbots and self-ordained Bishops fuel their Jets ?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is First Fruit Offering Important? by PastorKun(m): 3:41pm On Jan 10, 2014
Neither first fruit nor tithes are required of christians. Both doctrines as preached today are derived by fraudulently twisting the biblical version of it to arrive at today's man made variants of it.
Re: Is First Fruit Offering Important? by DrummaBoy(m): 6:08pm On Jan 10, 2014
bennyraz: For the past 4years now, most pentecostal pastors have been preaching paying first fruit offering which means the first salary or money you earn as to go to the church.. I mean all of it (100%). If you earn 5k per month, you have to pay the 5k into the church by end of January when you are paid. I believe in tithing and offerings, pledges and vows because money is the vehicle of the gospel but I don't believe in first fruit offerings. Though I'm not and I will not condemn those that choose to give theirs, after all its not my money but I think the idea of giving money and expecting big money in return is kind of not too good after all God sees our heart. I want Pastor Tunde Bakare to speak on this and I want fellow nairalanders to share their opinion on this matter

Pastor Tunde Bakare preached a message titled Firstfruits, I believe in 2011. Check the Archive of the church messages and you will find it there (if you don't find it in 2011, check 2010 or 2012). The summary of his message was that Firstfruits was scriptural but that it was not the whole of one's January's salary. It was any financial increase you have. That is: if you were jobless and you get a job; the first salary is your firstfruit and it is to be given to the Pastor (or the Priest). Any other increase you have, should be given as firstfruit. E.g you were earning 150k but had a raise of 180k. The 30k increase is your firstfruit and you should give it. That is Tunde Bakare's opinion.

As of the time I listened to him preach it, I still tithed but had never given a firstfruit. I believed it but never could practice it. Today I no longer tithe and will never give a firstfruit. Why? Because what Bakare taught, even though it is a much milder "firstfruiting" from the one some inisist on which is your salary for January, is what I call the "doctrines of men".

Why do I do so? The reason is that I know of atleast three definition of the firstfuits:

1. Your January Salary

2. Any increase of your finances, like Bakare taught.

3. Firstfruit is your tithe, which my own Pastor in Ibadan taught once.

What does the bible truly teach on Firstfruit; at this point, I will quote a post by frosbel on firstfruit that he made many years ago:

frosbel:

Question: "What was the first fruits offering? Should Christians give a first fruits offering today?"

Answer: Firstfruits was a Jewish feast held in the early spring at the beginning of the grain harvest. It was observed on Nissan 16, which was the third day after Passover and the second day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread. Firstfruits was a time of thanksgiving for God’s provision.

Leviticus 23:9-14 institutes the firstfruits offering. The people were to bring a sheaf of grain to the priest, who would wave it before the Lord. A burnt offering, a meal offering, and a drink offering were also required at that time. Deuteronomy 26:1-10 gives even more detail on the procedure of firstfruits.

No grain was to be harvested at all until the firstfruits offering was brought to the Lord (Leviticus 23:14). The offering was made in remembrance of Israel’s sojourn in Egypt, the Lord’s deliverance from slavery, and their possession of “a land that floweth with milk and honey.” The day of the firstfruits offering was also used to calculate the proper time of the Feast of Weeks (Leviticus 23:15-16).

In the New Testament, the firstfruits offering is mentioned seven times, always symbolically. Paul calls Epaenetus and the household of Stephanas “the firstfruits of Achaia” (Romans 16:5; 1 Corinthians 16:15). His meaning is that, just as the firstfruits offering was the first portion of a larger harvest, these individuals were the first of many converts in that region. James calls believers “a kind of firstfruits of His creatures” (James 1:18). Just like the sheaf of grain was set apart for the Lord, so are believers set apart for God’s glory.

The firstfruits offering found its fulfillment in Jesus. “But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep” (1 Corinthians 15:20). Jesus’ resurrection has paved the way for our resurrection. Significantly, if Jesus was killed at Passover, then His resurrection on the third day would have fallen on Nissan 16—the Feast of Firstfruits.

The firstfruits offering is never directly applied to Christian giving in the New Testament. However, Paul taught the Corinthian believers to set aside a collection “on the first day of the week” (1 Corinthians 16:2). And, just as the offering of firstfruits was an occasion of thanksgiving, so the Christian is to give with gladness.

In summary, firstfruits symbolizes God’s harvest of souls, it illustrates giving to God from a grateful heart, and it sets a pattern of giving back to Him the first (and the best) of what He has given us. Not being under the Old Testament Law, the Christian is under no further obligation than to give cheerfully and liberally (2 Corinthians 9:6-7).

The above for me is the firstfruit for Christians today. Firstfruit is not salary. Firstfruits, like tithes, were never money even in the OT. In the NT though firstfruit were mention, it was only in metaphores and not money or agric products as we had in the OT.

So my dear, save your money for more laudable purposes. You are not obliged to pay a firstfruit, tithe, offering, vow or any such things that modern day ministers demand today in the name of ministry. You are compelled to give only as God leads you and as you see the need in the NT.
Re: Is First Fruit Offering Important? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jan 10, 2014
@pagan9ja, ur moniker as spoken for itself so I understand ur opinion.. @sarassin , u should have just come out straight instead of been sarcastic and @pastor kun, how will d church grow if people don't pay tithe? my opinion on tithing is that it should be done out of freewill. And come to think of it, how will the workers in the vineyard sustain themselves if people don't pay their tithes? how will the church grow? tithes is not the reason for this thread but first fruit is and @drummaboy, I think I'll go with PST. Tunde Bakare's version if that is what he said. I will look for the message. tnks
Re: Is First Fruit Offering Important? by PastorKun(m): 8:38pm On Jan 10, 2014
bennyraz: @pagan9ja, ur moniker as spoken for itself so I understand ur opinion.. @sarassin , u should have just come out straight instead of been sarcastic and @pastor kun, how will d church grow if people don't pay tithe? my opinion on tithing is that it should be done out of freewill. And come to think of it, how will the workers in the vineyard sustain themselves if people don't pay their tithes? how will the church grow? tithes is not the reason for this thread but first fruit is and @drummaboy, I think I'll go with PST. Tunde Bakare's version if that is what he said. I will look for the message. tnks

My brother it may interest you to know that the monetary tithe from income doctrine was not introduced to the church till the year 1873 by american evangelicals. Prior to that the church had been growing rapidly for almost two thousand years. Infact apostle Paul made it clear in 1 corinthians that it is Jesus himself that is responsible for church growth. We don't need to twist scriptures to manipulate people into giving. The gospel itself is powerful enough to convict people to give of their own free volition. It is free will giving that is required of christians to spread the gospel and not giving obtained by twisting scriptures as in the case of tithing in the church.
Re: Is First Fruit Offering Important? by ajayikayod: 8:41pm On Jan 10, 2014
bennyraz: @pagan9ja, ur moniker as spoken for itself so I understand ur opinion.. @sarassin , u should have just come out straight instead of been sarcastic and @pastor kun, how will d church grow if people don't pay tithe? my opinion on tithing is that it should be done out of freewill. And come to think of it, how will the workers in the vineyard sustain themselves if people don't pay their tithes? how will the church grow? tithes is not the reason for this thread but first fruit is and @drummaboy, I think I'll go with PST. Tunde Bakare's version if that is what he said. I will look for the message. tnks

Well just passin by but i will lik u to kno dt many churches of d living God can and have been surviving without tithe/first fruits and other form of offerings dt places conditions on members/giving either directly or indirectly, At least i kno my assembly with over 200 workers and still increasing, we give and give and give to d work as purposed in our heart when needs arise. And i m bold to tell u we are growing daily in ministries, abounding in d work of d Lord.

D truth is, believers do give more than d "conditioned" givin to sustain d work whn they are tot aright on how, why, when and where to give as laid down by d Apostles.
Re: Is First Fruit Offering Important? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Jan 10, 2014
Pastor Kun:

My brother it may interest you to know that the monetary tithe from income doctrine was not introduced to the church till the year 1873 by american evangelicals. Prior to that the church had been growing rapidly for almost two thousand years. Infact apostle Paul made it clear in 1 corinthians that it is Jesus himself that is responsible for church growth. We don't need to twist scriptures to manipulate people into giving. The gospel itself is powerful enough to convict people to give of their own free volition. It is free will giving that is required of christians to spread the gospel and not giving obtained by twisting scriptures as in the case of tithing in the church.
that was why I said tithing should be out of freewill not putting a gun or placing curses on the head of Church members after all, will a man Rob God? and for those twisting the scriptures for their own agenda, let them continue. what's ur take on first fruit offering jare
Re: Is First Fruit Offering Important? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jan 10, 2014
ajayikayod:

Well just passin by but i will lik u to kno dt many churches of d living God can and have been surviving without tithe/first fruits and other form of offerings dt places conditions on members/giving either directly or indirectly, At least i kno my assembly with over 200 workers and still increasing, we give and give and give to d work as purposed in our heart when needs arise. And i m bold to tell u we are growing daily in ministries, abounding in d work of d Lord.

D truth is, believers do give more than d "conditioned" givin to sustain d work whn they are tot aright on how, why, when and where to give as laid down by d Apostles.
ok
Re: Is First Fruit Offering Important? by Alwaystrue(f): 9:25pm On Jan 10, 2014
@OP,
Whatever good work we do depends on our faith.
I thank God for the grace and priviledge he gives me to tithe on all He blessed me with. It remains a confirmation that I am blessed enough to give and it keeps increasing.
The first time I heard of firstfruit offering was over 8 years ago and I was like what?! How will one survive? But it was not forced but mentioned without even adding all the 'hype of blessings'. I purposed to do it by God's help when I really thought about it. Funnily my pay for that particular first month was withheld and I couldn't give it, but my needs were met and months after I got paid for that outstanding month, which I gave with a renewed understanding that my salary is not my source of meeting my needs but by God.
Since then my first salary (a fruit of my labour) every year is given, even though my church doesnt talk about it, because of my revelations from searching the scriptures.
What really can one not give to God? If
People sold lands and houses and laid all of the proceeds at the feet of the apostles, what is it ?

For tithe, as Jesus said, giving the Spirit of every giving, we should give tithe, yes, but with the right heart of love, faith and mercy. This is applcable to all giving.
In the OT, tithes were given as proof of blessing for it was from increase so I tithe because I am blessed but God is ever faithful who keeps giving wisdom to create more wealth and draw down from the blessins already in our account thus enjoying shaken together and pressed down rewards more and more. I am a living testimony.

Pastor Tunde Bakare tithes but he is against the mandatory giving of firstfruits offerings. I gathered this from his interview of some time back.
Re: Is First Fruit Offering Important? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jan 10, 2014

My apologies if you felt I was being sarcastic. Truth be told I have no objections to worshippers who wish to hand over their hard earned to a church, what I do object to is the vulgar and ostentatious display of means by present day church leaders at the expense of their congregants, these guys do not miss a trick, they will drag up every obscure saying in the bible in an effort to further blackmail their congregants. If you want to know what a man will revert to, given unbridled adulation, immense wealth and a distinct lack of accountability all cloaked in the garb of religious theocracy wrapped up with I veneer of infallibility, look no further than a Pentecostal minister of God.

2 Likes

Re: Is First Fruit Offering Important? by Tobbey(m): 10:59am On Sep 03, 2017
Still need more opinions please

(1) (Reply)

Please Pray For Dr Ameyo Adadevoh And Other Ebola Victims / Petition To Withdraw The Holy Bible / The Sun Alone Gives And Sustian Life Not A God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.