Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,489 members, 7,770,204 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:18 AM

Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria (2858 Views)

Naija Hip Hop And Its Emptiness (Stroking The Admiration Of The Shallow Minds) / Top 10 Next Rated Artistes In Nigeria / List Of The Past, Outgoing & Present Hip Hop Artistes In Nigeria (overrated) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 3:04pm On Aug 11, 2008
I take time to listen to Nigerian music and view Nigerian musical videos.

The fact is if you know music, you will know that most of these Nigerians posing and posturing as Hip-hop artistes or musicians are clowns and wasting their time.

Most of them are only opportunists who are more interested in appearing on TV than learning to be proficient performing and recording artistes.

They cannot sing.
They cannot rap.
They cannot even dance.

In the next ten years, most of them will disappear, because they are not serious.
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by Blackwax: 3:29pm On Aug 11, 2008
Guy ! I agree with you, Its just a trend and a cycle that the Nigerian music scene has to go through as it grows to maturity. The US music scene went through the same thing with lots of not-so-talented artists with glitzy videos, Where dem dey now?

Nigeria has a lot of real talents who have not made it to the limelight yet we are bombarded by videos of artist who are just in the music thing for a ride literally, These artists will not stand the test of time tho like you rightly noted.
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by javalove(m): 5:53pm On Aug 11, 2008
Nice one boy. I know one day onde day, nigerians will leave all d talk of aw much d artiste makes, which car e dey drive and concentrate on "good music". When nigerians will not be carried away with all the flashy videos and nonsesne slangs wey ful town go reduce.

A day will come when those who rap, sinf or rhyme in RAP's originality will be appreciated,
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by YourFather: 7:39pm On Aug 11, 2008
The trend we are seeing is truly cause by the so called pros that are meant to be pushing music in Nigeria, from the radio Dj, to the TV VJ, to the show organisers and even the fans.

The Djs will only give you due airplay based on how much you give them not the strenght of your work, Vjs the same, the shows and fans go with what is popular, so I ask, what in the system is encouraging good work? ZIP!!!

Hence acts believe they need to live a lie to get known. Pretend to drive cars they can't afford or just braid their hair like R Kelly and forget completely about making good music, work on lyrics, develop a slaning beat.

When the fans actually become more informed, hopefully by using the quality work of an artist that broke through against all odds as a yard stick then maybe the whole entertainment wheel would be force to only roll with acts that have done good work on their music.

The best music in Nigeria was produced when there was no bloody hype, I mean, you can still listen to Sunny today and be like whoa!
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by javalove(m): 8:04pm On Aug 11, 2008
Good talk @YourFather.
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by UKBoy1(m): 8:18pm On Aug 11, 2008
Damn !!

Everyone here is making so much sense, There is a major challenge facing the Nigerian music scene at the moment, That challenge is one of talented artists getting their songs showcased. "Your Father" is right, in Naija its all about how much you are willing to pay Radio DJs, Presenters for them to play your songs or TV stations for them to show your videos and do interviews. The more you pay, the more airplay you get.

These people collecting money for radio airplay and TV play forget that the artists are the ones providing contents for their programmes and should in fact be paid for this via airplay royalty. Anyway, na Naija we dey talk about so no surprises that events there are just the opposite of the norm.

Later when these artist dem blow up, these DJs and presenters will claim that they made the artist. It is the system and it is flawed.
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by AkinW: 8:25pm On Aug 11, 2008
There is some truth in what the author has said but on the contrary there are also good hip hop naija artists,

Modenine has crossed that barrier although not all his tracks will i give credit to
pidgin rap is quite tasteful if you have an acquired taste for music listen to
Chiido -  them no know, chiido remix gongo aso
J Martins - so fly, good or bad
Keeno - my mama
Eldee - na shakara, professional
D Banj
Drenco
Ay.com - fastmoney
2 shotz
Biglo
D Smart

using the American style but made it there own ,
Ruggedman falls into this category but not all his songs will i give credit to

but listen to MAGNUM

omo ele
hustlerz,

all track are available ,

@ http://wetin-dey.com go to music

The wetin-dey.com music portal also has a playlist feature which allows you to save your favourite songs under your profile allowing you to call them up anytime you visit, you can add, subtract or share your playlist with other users! Simply Click on the songs of your choice, click add (at bottom of music list) to save.

You can also leave a shout out (message) for just about anything, the box sits right beside the list of naija music tracks!

FRIENDS CONNECT is a growing online social naija network, get your profile today register at http://wetin-dey.com go to Friends Connect
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by javalove(m): 8:37pm On Aug 11, 2008
didnt want to be the first to mention modenine.Modenne don cross tha barrier tey tey. Infact when i was typing mt first response, i had him in mind. A time will come wen haterz will have no choice but to accept,
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by Blackwax: 8:56pm On Aug 11, 2008
Akin

No doubts there are talents, including ones who have crossed barriers. All those names you listed are indeed very talented artists. However, 60% of the current Nigerian artists will not be able to stand the test of times as majority of them have jumped onto the music bandwagon because they want money or fame, and like someone rightly mentioned, most of them pose with their glitzy music videos when they are not actually selling records or have a dime in their bank accounts.

Don't get me wrong o! Doing music is certainly better than being an armed robber. But us the masses are the ones who end up getting migranes from the talentless artists who tend to make the loudest noise (empty vessels).
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by YourFather: 9:37pm On Aug 11, 2008
Actually Akin W has made a point I was trying to get accross, did you mention an Artist that was not on your site? Or have been told to push?

Mode 9 does not fit into the mould of an Artist that is staving for promotion, he has Rythm on lockdown, and an award organisier like HIP HOP World had to create a category just for him, I mean what the hell is artist on the roll?

Mode 9 has talent no doubt and some of the acts on your list do too, but the point we are making is, because of the "what can you do for me if I play your song attitude" a lot of talented acts slip by and even the ones that manage to get known don't improve from a music point of view, why should they, if i know that I am going to get played no matter how wack my songs are, what is my driving force.

You go around the internet and almost everyone is telling to tell one person's album, why? is it that good? is that the standard every new act should aspire to? Nooo, they basically pushing it because they have or are hoping to get paid through him.

We question the state of Nigeria, oooh the rich are getting rich why the poor talented man on the street will die tomorrow, is that not what we have turned the entertainment game into? When those who should know better (Djs, Vjs, website promoters), are failing to have any degree of integrite, its a shame!!!

Fela became an icon not because he paid any one to play his songs, Sunny, Salawa, Majek, Shina Peters, all broke because of the quaility of their work and new acts then knew if they got the work right, the rewards were round the conner, if the key players keep it real, the acts will be forced to follow.
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by Orikinla(m): 9:56pm On Aug 11, 2008
AkinW:

There is some truth in what the author has said but on the contrary there are also good hip hop naija artists,

Modenine has crossed that barrier although not all his tracks will i give credit to
pidgin rap is quite tasteful if you have an acquired taste for music listen to
Chiido -  them no know, chiido remix gongo aso
J Martins - so fly, good or bad
Keeno - my mama
Eldee - na shakara, professional
D Banj
Drenco
Ay.com - fastmoney
2 shotz
Biglo
D Smart

using the American style but made it there own ,
Ruggedman falls into this category but not all his songs will i give credit to

but listen to MAGNUM

omo ele
hustlerz,

all track are available ,

@ http://wetin-dey.com go to music

The wetin-dey.com music portal also has a playlist feature which allows you to save your favourite songs under your profile allowing you to call them up anytime you visit, you can add, subtract or share your playlist with other users! Simply Click on the songs of your choice, click add (at bottom of music list) to save.

You can also leave a shout out (message) for just about anything, the box sits right beside the list of naija music tracks!

FRIENDS CONNECT is a growing online social naija network, get your profile today register at http://wetin-dey.com go to Friends Connect

I agree.
The good ones know themselves and by their music you shall know them.

I have followed some of those you listed since the 1990s to date.
From campus gigs to date.

When TU Face and co, dey even collect N75, 000 per show.
Rugged Man has come a long way too.

We can tell them apart from the pretenders I see on TV.
Many of these fake ones think getting a couple of girls in skimpy rags to shake buttocks to sounds mixed and voice over is all that you need to join the bandwagon and as some already noted, they bribe DJs and VJs to play them on Radio and TV and A HIP-HOP STAR IS BORN!
Na Popcorn? grin
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by UKBoy1(m): 2:01am On Aug 12, 2008
"Your Father" makes an extremely valid point there. We all hope that very soon, other medium for talented up and coming artists to get their songs heard such as through the internet will be available other than the standard radio. Some websites are providing this service today, namely nairaland and Mytruspot. We need many more like these
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by TPS360: 5:03am On Aug 12, 2008
Its unfair to label hip hop artistes in nigeria as "shallow and fake". I am not a big fan of their songs but we should realize that some people them.
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by javalove(m): 11:50am On Aug 12, 2008
@YourFather

u don dey make sense this days oooo. i cant but agree with u word for word. u try. Na the noise wey i don dey make for this forum since. a time will come when all the bling bling will make no sense to us no more but good music. a time will surely come when everyone will scream at a dj for playing a wack music, dats wat modenine has been evangelizing, thats wat i v been saying
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by Bamsyle(m): 12:34pm On Aug 12, 2008
My days, this is the most mature, honest, sincere and sensible thread I've ever come across on Nairaland!

I mean, everyone is speaking the TRUTH with ONE voice - no bickering, no insults, no qualms.

What more can I say? You've all said it all. Especially @YourFather, you deserve an award for those words. You just took them right out of my mouth keyboard! Particularly your observations on DJs, VJs, et al. They're the ones killing this game. They glorify money + mediocrity over talent.

Can't say more - I'll just be repeating what most of you guys have said.
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 12:38pm On Aug 12, 2008
This is just 15posts cheesy

you never see anything yet
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by Bamsyle(m): 1:10pm On Aug 12, 2008
Gamine you have time sha. So you took time to count those posts?

Time na money o.
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 1:35pm On Aug 12, 2008
D'oh.

Time is Tissue actually.

Back to Topic,

The only non-fake artiste to me these days; Asa and 9ice

innovators, to say the least
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by Bamsyle(m): 1:55pm On Aug 12, 2008
@Gamine
D'oh.

Time is Tissue actually.

Yeah right.

Goodluck as you continue using it in your toilet *and etc* wink
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by YourFather: 2:17pm On Aug 12, 2008
The only non fake artiste,  9ice and Asa!!!

Bearing in mind this is your opinion,  I have to say this is another misconception the industry suffers from,  a credibility buzz. This mentality is what makes Bankers in Nigeria feel they are better than everyone else, oh! I wear my TM shirt and my Next suit with tie to match under the hot sun so everyone else that have a different non converntional way of making money is ,  hmm,  not good enough, until they are rich enough to put money in my bank.

It is this same misconception that made listening to Ayuba razz, Salawa razz,  but excuse me,  they are not. They are intellgent, skilled flow,  most of all enjoyable.

Asa is good at what she does, and I still trip over "there is a girl of 16, whose has a lover that is her father" from the song "fire on the mountain" ,  but on Friday night, after the usual whahala of the week, the last person i want to listen to is Asa.

9ice, I do enjoy the guy more,  but ask yourself without Gongo aso,  how many people will be talking about him. I think he has a bright furture but we should be responsible the way we dash the crown away,  let keep challenging our acts, tell them its not enough to have one good song,  bring us more.

And lets be real, a lot of us want to dance when we go to the clubs and just because an act sings a party song doesn't make them shallow or fake,

I mean my fav song at the mo,  Shayo by Durella, will not save the world or end child labour but its a creative piece of music with lyrics that are just on point,  so do we say he is fake

The point remains, we need to change our attitudes, we need to actually listen to the work of new acts regardless of what the media are pushing us to listen to, otherwise extremly talented acts with no money, no backing, may never is daylight and that would be a big shame!!!
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by javalove(m): 2:45pm On Aug 12, 2008
Hmmmm @YourFather

From ur last post, i can deduce there that ur definition for originality has to do with lyrics. In that case, i can list some niaja artistes too who because they dont make club tracks, they have been blacklisted (modenine). Not just him, some good nija artistes too dont get airplay cos d songs are not club bangers. Ask a nigerian when a song becomes wack, wat u will probably hear is because u cant dance to it.

Lots of nigerians dont pay attention to lyrics and that is what in most cases defines an artiste, what he spits. Why is everyone screaming Asa's name on forums and in the medai.? How many of her songs can be danced to? How many can e played in the clubs? For the first time, every nigerian celebrated skill, in place of bling bing and all dem bullshits we got now.

Modenine's got mad ass lyrics that makes one thinks. Asa's got same. Beautiful Nubia's got same and a few rappers. However, in the RAP category, modenine stands tall. In RnB, there r a coupleof them too.

I'm so happy now that we are all reasoning. A time will also come when "A-kong b kong ileke konga ajupapapapa tipatipa ajupapapapati sita, dagadigi dagadigi gbagan gbanga --mmaagammmaaaga digin daga" will not be heared anymore.

I rest my case grin
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by Gamine(f): 2:47pm On Aug 12, 2008
@YourFather.

The media never pushed me to listen to any of them.

i hardly listen to Naija music, but when i hear music that is good, i will listen to it
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by icezik1(m): 5:48pm On Aug 12, 2008
@Gamine

You're just biased! I don't believe what you said. How can you only like Asa and 9ice? Are they the only original ones? What about D'banj, he ain't original or is he singing American music? Please, you've been influenced by the media into believeing the best artistes in Nigeria are Asa (who is actually residing in France) and 9ice (who was the only one recognised by Mandela).

Go listen to D'banj, D Smart, Mode9, Timaya, Styl-Plus, The Original Stereoman, Age Beeka, Uchie the African Rockstar and Lagbaja! Then come back and tell me about innovation

Nonsense! angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by abdurrazaq(m): 5:54pm On Aug 12, 2008
Do you ever wonder why D'banj made that controversial statement in his Entertainer. It's because people have accepted songs like tongolo, why me and some other shallow songs from him in the past all for the excuse of being club bangers. Durella used to be a good R&B Artiste until he started adopting D'banj style (out of frustration and neglegence) angry cry. So many Artistes have overnight become wack just because the fans are not responding to good music

Until we the consumers start shunning all these shallow Artistes, there may be no improvement. cool
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by Riskie(f): 7:48pm On Aug 12, 2008
If we only had the "real" artists to listen to, then parties/clubs would be hella boring. The so called fake artists are the ones we dance to. It's rather unfair to call them fake. So what if the lyrics are a little nonsensical? That's what makes them fun  cheesy. If we didn't have "fake"/commercial artistes then we wouldn't know when to appreciate the ones that make socially conscious/cultural music like Asa and 9ice. Every country has a system like this and there are very logical reasons for it. Honestly if I were an artiste I'd rather have commercial success than pats on the back from fans who prolly don't even buy my records grin grin.
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by UKBoy1(m): 8:57pm On Aug 12, 2008
My take on this discussion is that it is a phase the nigerian music industry has to go through , we are all playing a part in the evolution of our music industry, DJs and others dey collect money to play songs, we dey halla about am on Nairaland (and this is one of the most unified threads on Nairaland ie lotsa peeps agreeing on the same thing).

In a short time, time go reach wen if you go party and DJ play bad music, you go carry your isiewu stone am.

There are some really good "real" artists, with good puposeful lyrics and delivery styles. Timaya is one of them, Keeno is another www.myspace.com/keenoekobeats . These are artists singing about what affects you and me and everyone else.
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by javalove(m): 9:50am On Aug 13, 2008
Realness and originality in another context, could also mean using music to address socio-economic problems.It could mean using ur music to call government to order when its erring. Eedris did this with Nigerian Jagajaga and made waves with it. He spoke the truth but instead, the monkey on the throne chose toabuse his family.

The real artistes will continue be real cos they have shunned all critics to have come this far. Modenine's critics are also agreeing grin which is something i m hapi about.

From 419 state of mind, Children are the leaders of tommorow, Politics and lies to Fellow Nigerians modenine definately is gifted. And most recently "Green Passport" also addresses some problems nigerians face wen they visit embassies or trel abroad, i hope he makes a video, anyway, i v told him that already grin
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by phenomenal: 5:26am On Aug 17, 2008
Yeah this is another facet that exposes the decay in mentality of some Nigerians. It's the same with those that collect 100 naira and even bread to vote for intending political office holders. The Djs that collect gratifification don't realise that they are shooting themselves in the foot because if they force songs on people rather than carefully watching the song and the reaction to it,they are killing the industry where they feed from
It's just the area boy syndrome coming to fore. 'I will collect what I can from you because when u make it u'll forget me'. That's the thinking. If only the media houses are paying royalties on played songs then less mediocre songs will be played
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by Bamsyle(m): 10:50am On Aug 18, 2008
@Phenomenal
Yeah this is another facet that exposes the decay in mentality of some Nigerians. It's the same with those that collect 100 naira and even bread to vote for intending political office holders. The Djs that collect gratifification don't realise that they are shooting themselves in the foot because if they force songs on people rather than carefully watching the song and the reaction to it,they are killing the industry where they feed from
It's just the area boy syndrome coming to fore. 'I will collect what I can from you because when u make it u'll forget me'. That's the thinking. If only the media houses are paying royalties on played songs then less mediocre songs will be played

You're on point.
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by Another: 11:44am On Aug 18, 2008
Ever since I have been visiting this site, this is the most gratiating topic i have ever come across.You guys have done marvellously well, especially Javalove, Your Father, infact, especially all of you.
I believe all of you are budding starts and from your responses, it shows that we Nigerians know what is the truth and as we know, the truth shall eventually set you free!!!I await the day Nigerian music will move to the next level, and I know that we will get there since we have people who reason like you guys do!
Carry on, dudes!!!
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by mohammedss: 4:46pm On Aug 21, 2008
Nice one fellas,yu guys said it all soon i mean very soon Nigerians would start listening to lyrics and not beat.am out.
Re: Fake And Shallow Hip-hop Artistes In Nigeria by Jessicablo(f): 1:09pm On Aug 24, 2008
Sorry to say we nigerians our thoughts are so shallow

good topic by the author

but everything in Life is a phase as well as hiphop music in naija.Nothing appears the first time in its full form.(its like a seed and A farmer scattered them across his field)And has it develops some will fall by the way side, some on the footpath and the birds comes to eat them,other will fall on shallow soil.and the the seeds will sprout quickly becos the soil was shallow(and u will think this is good) but the plants soon wilted under the hot sun since they didnt have deep roots,they die.others seeds will fall among thorns that grew up and choked out the tender plants(those r the upcoming Artists if u i may say). but there will be a few that will fall on fertile soil and produce so much than what was planted.

Naija hiphop is still young to make any judgement on.all the ones we see today tell me in your heart oF heart lyrically is any creative?remove the beat and lets listen lyrically. even in the so called US some artist are talentless that i wonder who told dis dudes to start a career in dis.

an example of few on fertile soil in the American Scene Is Tupac(RIP).

(1) (2) (Reply)

[music] Sdot Ika Ft Small Baddo - As A Malians / Kiss Daniel Ft Empire - Cough Music Download / DnD Ft Stormrex & Slow Dogg - Ishi Mgbaka ( Hot Igbo Hiphop!!! )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.