Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? (3822 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Disbelieve T.B Joshua, Chris Okafor's Miracles? See Reasons / Pastor Chris Warns Comedians: Don't Joke With Men Of God! / Unfulfilled Prophecies By Men Of God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 12:51am On Aug 18, 2008
Why do Nigerians like to worship so-called gods of men.

First and foremost, they are mere mortals. Humans like everyone else.

I don't want to mention names, but I thought Jesus is the key.

or maybe its that,

These men are doing a good job brainwashing.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 12:54am On Aug 18, 2008
Maybe Nigerians will move forward when they stop all these idol worshipping.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 12:54am On Aug 18, 2008
Nne, what men are you talking about?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 1:02am On Aug 18, 2008
Are you saying that you want a list of men Nigerians worship ?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by Texcee(f): 1:04am On Aug 18, 2008
madamkoko:

Maybe Nigerians will move forward when they stop all these idol worshipping.

Madamkoko, It is not just Nigerians but the black race as a whole. I believe the reason black countries
worldwide have not been able to progress compared to their white/latin/asian counterparts

is due to this idol worshipping you have eloquently highlighted. Black people must do away
with this for us to move forward and progress as a people.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 1:06am On Aug 18, 2008
madamkoko:

Are you saying that you want a list of men Nigerians worship ?
Yes or atleast an example.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 1:06am On Aug 18, 2008
Look at Communist China: Economy is BOOOMING!!!!

In fact, I think that religion is NOT taught in schools. They recognize religion as a tool of oppression.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by Okijajuju1(m): 1:07am On Aug 18, 2008
onyinye2:

Nne, what men are you talking about?

I give you an abridged list??

1. Oyedepo
2. Matthew Ashimolowo
3. William Kumuyi
4. Enoch Adeboye
5. Chris Oyakhilome

start with these.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 1:08am On Aug 18, 2008
Biko, do not bring the likes of China in to this. That place is nothing but propaganda and lies.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 1:11am On Aug 18, 2008
You and I know that CHINA is doing well ECONOMICALLY.

Why not use China as an example. Religion there is a secondary issue and I think that its responsible for thier progress.

There are MORE Commonalities/Similarities rather than the divisive tool of religion.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 1:13am On Aug 18, 2008
Biko, do not bring the likes of China in to this. That place is nothing but propaganda and lies.

propaganda and lies, we all see proof of China's prosperity
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 1:13am On Aug 18, 2008
Do you know how many people are killed, yes killed for expressing any type of religion? Do you know how many people are jailed because of religion in China? If you are going to use an example, use another country instead of China.

madamkoko:

propaganda and lies, we all see proof of China's prosperity
Prosperity of what?? Cheap labor.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by chiogo(f): 1:16am On Aug 18, 2008
@topic, maybe because they think it's their way to success/out of poverty.

@Onyinye2, please, the poster is right. If you've been to Nigeria or their churches, you'll know what we're talking about here.

@somebody, I think it's a Nigerian thing, don't know about the black race thingy.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 1:17am On Aug 18, 2008
Do you know how many people are killed, yes killed for expressing any type of religion? Do you know how many people are jailed because of religion in China? If you are going to use an example, use another country instead of China.

How many people are killed in Nigeria because of religion ? How many people's lives have been destroyed because of "blind faith"

How many people have been made millionaires because of religion ?

there are many stories of people who are beaten or have been stoned to death in Nigeria because they have been termed "witches" or those who have died fasting and praying for god's miracles, or those members who died during deliverance,
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 1:19am On Aug 18, 2008
chiogo:

@Onyinye2, please, the poster is right. If you've been to Nigeria or their churches, you'll know what we're talking about here.
I have been. And i have seen. Heck i live in the state where the great Joel Olsteen preaches. So i know a lil something about these mega churches. What im saying is that if you are going to use an example, be it a county besides China.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 1:20am On Aug 18, 2008
I want to know why people go to these Mega Churches? What is wrong with the local small church in your neighborhood?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 1:21am On Aug 18, 2008
@topic, maybe because it's their way to success/out of poverty.

Do you mean that Nigerians worship these men, to get themselves out of poverty?  or mean these so called gods of men brainwash people to get themselves out of poverty?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by Okijajuju1(m): 1:23am On Aug 18, 2008
onyinye2:

I want to know why people go to these Mega Churches? What is wrong with the local small church in your neighborhood?

Megachurch = Mega miracle
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 1:24am On Aug 18, 2008

good question

Reasons why I know people go to church in Nigeria: has little to nothing to do with god or Jesus

Find a husband/wife
get contracts: you might rob elbows with a senator/politician/businessman
have a social life

Local churches are small. UNKnown people go there.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 1:26am On Aug 18, 2008
the great Joel Olsteen preaches

Olsteen is human. Nothing makes him great.

Didn't his wife assualt someone and I heard them calculating her networth, its like $20 million
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 1:29am On Aug 18, 2008
I am of the strong opinion that Nigeria will move forward and progress, if we can BAN religion.

Because then people will begin to see COMMONALITIES/SIMILARITIES rather than differences.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 1:30am On Aug 18, 2008
madamkoko:

Olsteen is human. Nothing makes him great.
Didn't his wife assualt someone and I heard them calculating her networth, its like $20 million
The whole assault was nothing but an elbow shove. They woman who sued her go nothing in the end. Personally i go to a fairly medium sized church where im only there to hear the Good Word. The people come last to me.

madamkoko:

I am of the strong opinion that Nigeria will move forward and progress, if we can BAN religion.

Because then people will begin to see COMMONALITIES/SIMILARITIES rather than differences.
you dey crase? You want another war to start?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by Okijajuju1(m): 1:31am On Aug 18, 2008
In rivers state back in the days.

El-shaddai Ministries was the place to be at.

Reason; The governor then worshipped there.

The pastor broke bread then, and rode some of the coolest cars.

Today, Hmm! (where did everybody go??)   shocked     shocked    shocked
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by Texcee(f): 1:32am On Aug 18, 2008
chiogo:

@somebody, I think it's a Nigerian thing, don't know about the black race thingy.

There is no black country in the world where idol worshiping doesn't take place.

Even some blacks in the U.S. are into this (esp in the south) not to mention the blacks
in cuba, brazil, australia etc.

It is indeed the black race as I said earlier.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 1:32am On Aug 18, 2008
@ Okija_juju make you tell them jare
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 1:33am On Aug 18, 2008
Texcee:

There is no black country in the world where idol worshiping doesn't take place.

Even some blacks in the US. are into this (esp in the south) not to mention the blacks
in cuba, brazil, australia etc.

It is indeed the black race as I said earlier.
Oka i live in the south. For one thing, i have noticed mostly "whites" do such things. then it was blacks.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by Texcee(f): 1:34am On Aug 18, 2008
madamkoko:

Nigeria will seize to exist in its present form if religion is banned. No doubt about this.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 1:37am On Aug 18, 2008
So eh, you want Nigeria to follow the likes of China abi? Where it is basically shuned from the rest of the world until now. And there are still people who are questioning them. Personally if Nigeria bans religion, me visiting there will dramatically change. It will be Civil War all over again. All it will do is give us more of a bad name then we already have.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 1:41am On Aug 18, 2008
you dey crase? You want another war to start?

Aren't you a xtian, isn't it wrong to curse someone or your pastor didn't preach about that part. Anyways, I am not crazy. If Religion was BANNED in Nigeria, I am of the strong opinion that Nigeria will move forward drastically because people will be forced to think LOGICALLY. Individuals will begin to organize and take action (like AA did in the 1960s) even if we examine the 60s churches were used for political reasons and NOTHING more.

I am also of the strong opinion that Nigerians will begin to see SIMILARITIES/COMMONALITIES rather than differences if religion was banned.

I am NOT proposing that people should be punished for their religious beliefs. I am saying RELigion in Nigeria is a tool that has done nothing to divide people and has done absolutely nothing for the great continent.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 1:46am On Aug 18, 2008
your China argument is weak. No one is proposing punishment for having religious beliefs.

Personally if Nigeria bans religion, me visiting there will dramatically change. It will be Civil War all over again. All it will do is give us more of a bad name then we already have.

if Nigeria BANS religion, you will be missing out GREATLY if you don't visit. In your argument, you ALSO Acknowledge religion as a tool of oppression.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by onyinye2(f): 1:48am On Aug 18, 2008
madamkoko:

Aren't you a xtian, isn't it wrong to curse someone or your pastor didn't preach about that part. Anyways, I am not crazy. If Religion was BANNED in Nigeria, I am of the strong opinion that Nigeria will move forward drastically because people will be forced to think LOGICALLY. Individuals will begin to organize and take action (like AA did in the 1960s) even if we examine the 60s churches were used for political reasons and NOTHING more.

I am also of the strong opinion that Nigerians will begin to see SIMILARITIES/COMMONALITIES rather than differences if religion was banned.

I am NOT proposing that people should be punished for their religious beliefs. I am saying RELigion in Nigeria is a tool that has done nothing to divide people and has done absolutely nothing for the great continent.  
I hope and pray to never see the day when religion is banned in Naija. You see what happened in the last war? Multiple that by five, being that technology has advanced. All who support you, maka una should go and enlist. Let the world see how we kill our own fellow people. Let the world know that Nigeria is worse off then we thought.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like To Worship Men Of God? by madamkoko: 1:53am On Aug 18, 2008
No one is proposing punishment for having religious beliefs.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Finance And The Christian [should The Christian Be Rich Or Poor?] (family Only) / Adam And Eve: A Tragic Love Story / Snake From A Woman's Private Part.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.