Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,622 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Why It Is Important For Parents To Educate Their Children - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why It Is Important For Parents To Educate Their Children (1037 Views)

How I Escaped Having Sex In My Early Teens (A Must Read For Parents)! / Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? / Need Someone To Educate Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why It Is Important For Parents To Educate Their Children by ken20(m): 4:10am On Aug 20, 2008
Education is a process of teaching, training and learning (especially in schools or colleges) to improve KNOWLEDGE and develop SKILLS.
Process is all about what you do continuously to achieve a result. Sometimes, it is said, ‘charity begins at home’, which implies that the first place a child receives education is from home. Yes, from home! It has been observed that children generally, would naturally do what they see their parents do. Parents are like the mirror to them. They copy the actions of their parents.
In a case where a parent is discouraging the wards not to ever tell lies and she in turn is the one that is lieing, the children automatically pick that spirit of lieing from the parent. The character is easily transferred unto the children. So, parents should be mindful and be careful about what they do at home because their children would do what they see them (parents) do.
A very good example is what i saw happened in my former residence. A family of five people, the parents, two sons- the first son around thirteen years and the second one around ten years, a daughter around seven years living together in a single room.  Whenever the father and the mother are having sexual relationship together, unknowingly to them, the first son always see them doing it. Due to this fact, he (the son) on the other hand would call a neighbour’s daughter to a secret corner and would always do what he had been seeing his parents do. He had done this severally until I caught him performing the act with another girl, from the same house. Who would have taught that, that could happen? The boy confessed to me that he had done it with so many of the girls that were in the same compound together. Upon knowing this, I made up my mind there and then that God forbid if I live in a room!  I’m not saying that it is a bad thing to live in a room neither am I saying that, the parents of theNToy had done the wrong thing by having sex together. What is very wrong is the fact that, they did’nt take into consideration or ensure that,  they were doing it at the right time at least when there was no third person whatsoever. You know the answers of course?
Besides, another similar case that I saw happened when I was a teacher in Ibadan, a private nursery and primary school at oke itunu area mokola. Then Mikolteaching the primary one pupils. Imagine their ages! Just between five and seven years of age. It just happened that the little boy came to take a permission from me to go and ease himself in the toilet. After some minutes which I expected the boy to have come out from the toilet, I went in there to know what could be happening and as I opened the door, I saw the boy on top of a girl of which both are naked. Yes, naked I mean! What were they doing? You know now. Immediately I had to call the attention of other teachers to this act of immorality of which was later reported to the relevant quarters.
This is one of many atrocities that are being committed by these innocent wards, which were copied from their parents.
Please train up your child.
Somebody once said that, True education is more than a mere brain development, it is a total forming of a human being physically, intellectually, morally and spiritually.
PHYSICALLY 
This pertains to the general outlook or appearance of the child which has so much to do with neatness or untidiness. It ranges from the hairdo or hair cut, dressing (inside and outside). Cleaning of teeth and so on and so forth. Parents should try as much as possible to imbibe the culture of neatness into their wards every time.

INTELLECTUALLY
This is having a sound mind- an ability to think and understand things. Intellectual ability is a function of what one reads. READERS ARE LEADERS. Why? The simple reason being the fact that whatever one reads automatically influences the way one talks and the way one sees things.
Unfortunately and accidentally, the habit of reading is lacking seriously in our homes today. Parents don’t read and likewise their wards which translate to the fact that a larger percentage of the present day students don’t pay attention to reading. There is no reading culture. In place of reading, they rather prefer to pay attention to home videos.
A child could easily memorize a story from a home video but tell that child to memorize another story from his/her Literature book and he/she becomes dumb founded. The major problem we have is that more of home video films are stalled in our homes that books. Some could watch as many as three movies at a sitting and imaging spending up to nine hours watching films in a day!
What we see in our homes now are more of VCDs like never beCd's than books. What the parents can do to salvage this problem is to create or build libraries in the home no matter the size. Secondly, both parents and their wards should now begin to inculcate into themselves the habit of reading. The truth here is that you don’t have to be a doctor or a lawyer or an executive working in a corporate setting to do this. You could be anybody with no formal education in quote and still achieve the required result. For example, if you are a house wife, traders, carpenters, fashion designers, e.t.c or you are in any vocation at all, you can do this.
Never be too pre-occupied   with Pruer jobs and you don’t have time for your wards. Create time to attend to their needs.
Instead of focusing on home videos, educative and informative programs should be the focus, provided they want to view what is happening on TV. I was in primary six that time when I started listening to the NTA Network news at nine. Due to this, I was envied by my peers because they couldn’t withstand my know-how.

MORALLY
It is very evident these days to see that morals are lacking seriously in our homes. One major reason for this is the craze for western lifestyles which have been copied from some level of exposures to some foreign materials(films). There is high level of indulgences from parents towards their children from mere civilization. Many children are grossly indisciplined!
During my secondary school days, you couldn’t just hold on to see a teacher approaching and you would not disappear. Students beat their teachers these days. Besides, most students lack a great deal of courtesy. This is easily noticed in the ways and manners they talk to their peers and even the elderly people. Some are even too loosed that they care less about what sort of bad languages that are coming out of their mouths.

SPIRITUALLY
As we all know that, there is high level of spiritism in Africa. The moment a child is born, some people who are members of the family to which the child is born take it upon themselves to consult a herbalist or an oracle to find out about the future of the new born baby. Once this is ascertained and it has been discovered that the child has a very bright and sound future, envy begins to set in. Besides, there are many more factors that could bring about hatred and envy against a child.
Knowing this therefore, it is important and compulsory for parents to be praying for their children. Some times should be set aside for praying even together as a family everyday. I have seen a lot of children with many spiritual problems and cases that are having much to do with academic performances, even some are different forms of sicknesses and diseases which can not be solved except by prayers. I have seen parents that are united in everything they do and prayers inclusive. Their children are always doing very fine in every of their endeavors.

Environment is another factor that could affect your children whether positive or negative. The kinds of people you live with in the same environment, their orientations, lifestyles have a lot to do with what your child would grow with and become later in the future. An environment where smokers are prevalent, irresponsibility and high level of illiteracy, purposeless set of people are, the kind of child in that environment is not likely he or she finds a good rhythms and bearings in life and therefore, success is far from such a fellow.
Many parents shy away from the responsibilities of educating their children. They should spend on these children and give 100% support to education. Money spent on education is an investment which shall yield dividends as soon as it reaches maturity. Children know a parent that is stingy and the one that spends and cares for them.
It is also the responsibility of the parents to avoid uttering negative words on their children even especially when the child behaves contrary to expectations.

(1) (Reply)

After Marriage, Will The Groom Go To The Bride's Church Or Vice Versa? / Need Advice On Nigerian Culture/attitude To Family / Men Regard Your Wifes As Equal, Wifes See Your Self As Equal With Your Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.