Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,573 members, 7,770,490 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:09 AM

Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? (23359 Views)

My Husband Denies Me Sex And Affection...its Killing Me / How I Escaped Having Sex In My Early Teens (A Must Read For Parents)! / My Wife Shows No Affection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Donchinex(m): 3:46pm On Oct 03, 2014
NO! Many would say "It would spoil them". On the contrary, I think it is super important for parents to show affection to each other, especially in front of their kids. I'm not talking full on make-out and humping, but hugs, kisses, sitting on laps and saying "I love you" to each other as parents is something the kids need to see.
I grew up in a house where the reverse is the case...I never for once heard my parents say those "3 letter words" to each other. Even when my mum would want to make "advances", my dad would be like "not in front of the children";-). The only romantic scenario I do witness is their holding of hands while walking and when they call each other pet names.
I want my children to grow up actually seeing physical affection being displayed between me and their mother (future tense):-). If you can't kiss your wife at home no matter who is there, then really, it kind of makes you roommates.
Some parents worry that it would make their kids uncomfortable. NO!(If not taken to the extreme).
An adage says "the greatest good you can do a child is by showing love to the mother". Outside, when talking with their peers, they will gladly say things like "my parents still like each other".
***Bottom line***- I don't see any wrong for parents to display physical affection even when the kids are watching. #FromAFutureHusband8-). Your thoughts

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by olu77(m): 3:54pm On Oct 03, 2014
For me, there is nothing wrong with that. It will make the children crave for such a positive love as they grow older.

21 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Decibel: 4:02pm On Oct 03, 2014
This is not funny shocked

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 03, 2014
There is NOTHING wrong with it as long as it is not a se*xual display of their affection. Some kissing and hugging is ok.

In the family of my dreams, children can see every day how much daddy and mummy love and respect each other.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Donchinex(m): 4:18pm On Oct 03, 2014
Decibel: This is not funny shocked
I don't get you. Is it wrong?
Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Donchinex(m): 4:41pm On Oct 03, 2014
Where is madam kachisbarbie, mizmycoli and softsparkyy? I wan hear from una.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Oct 03, 2014
grin@madam kachisbarbie...(reserve the madam for when am 35)
...I don't see anything wrong there, my parents are just like yours. The best I saw was my mum feeding my dad- that's when they are in a very good mood.

There is nothing wrong in it - as long as it isn't sexual touches :hugs/pecks are perfect. I think it would actually make them grow to appreciate themselves/partners in future.

It would also make them know what a healthy home should look like, if you and your spouse have misunderstandings - no pecks: expect plenty of 'are you people fighting?' from the kids

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Oct 03, 2014
There is nothing wrong in parents expressing their love and affection for each other in front of their kids but it should be done MODERATELY. Raunchy display of affection(sucking,grabbing etc) in front of the kids,is simply insane; it corrupts their young minds and also breeds negative thoughts which may lead to dirty practices.
So, parents need to be careful in displaying the needful, the kinda language that comes out from our mouths and most especially our attitudes and behaviors in front of the kids.
Public display of love and affection don't only revolve round the circle of mere ki*sing, hugging, patting, and calling of sweet names but how you both(man and wife) live as couples, your relationship with each other,how sincere it is; how often does dad help stay with the kids while mum prepares dinner? How often do they sit/play/watch movies/eat and most especially, play together as a family; tho all these may seem to be of lil importance but its very essential in the bid to grow a happy and peaceful home.

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by bennyrazz: 5:07pm On Oct 03, 2014
it is wrong to display affection in front if children

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 03, 2014
bennyrazz: it is wrong to display affection in front if children

Because?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by cococandy(f): 5:19pm On Oct 03, 2014
OP I agree with you
Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Danhumprey: 5:54pm On Oct 03, 2014
There is really nothing wrong with that. But African parents are the super-shy. They will make it look like displaying affection in the presence of the kids,is a taboo.

I wouldn't mind me and my wife showing affection in front of the kids,though there must be a limit to such acts.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by obk12(f): 6:22pm On Oct 03, 2014
Showing affecion in the presence of your children is not really wrong but we should take into consideration the children's age.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by bennyrazz: 9:51pm On Oct 03, 2014
carefreewannabe:

Because?
when children see you handling, kissing your spouse or doing some other things, they tend to pick it up and practice such with their fellow children eg (mummy & daddy play) cheesy let's play the play mummy and daddy use to play, I am mummy you are daddy and they begin to do some funny things they see their parents do. In their own mind, it's not a harmful play but that's actually when sexual abuse begin. That's when children begin to sexually abuse each other without knowing. so it is wrong for parents to make out in front of their kids.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by johnshagb(m): 2:44am On Oct 04, 2014
Moderation is the important thing. Slobbering in front of the kids for example won't be a good thing to behold.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by slimpoppa(m): 2:48am On Oct 04, 2014
not really bad, but there has to be limits.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Nobody: 2:49am On Oct 04, 2014
No,but there should be limitation to the level of affection shown,or displayed.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by moneybag100: 2:50am On Oct 04, 2014
Too much kissing is wrong or before you know it, your kid start kissing your dog, from dog to your goat from goat to his or her playmate...I witnessed this.."Kids also gets erection"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by adrainuche(m): 2:53am On Oct 04, 2014
What do you mean by Affection
Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Mention(m): 2:53am On Oct 04, 2014
Its not totally wrong sha...
But there should be a limit..
You shouldn't be caught kissing and smooching in front of ya kids...
Just a little Hugs, Pecks and light kisses here and there is okay

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Ediss(m): 2:56am On Oct 04, 2014
Don't spoil your kid o, at the end you go say na winch or their grandparent. Ashawooooooooo tongue do am for secret oooooooooo grin

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by mexiae(m): 3:01am On Oct 04, 2014
...for me its nt wrong..buh it should nt b extreme...
Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Desdola(m): 3:01am On Oct 04, 2014
There should be a yard stick to it to what parents do in front of their children. Children are fast learners and might one day try to experiment what they have seen.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Nobody: 3:02am On Oct 04, 2014
Books space

I'm sleeping. Will comment when I wake

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Afam4eva(m): 3:05am On Oct 04, 2014
There's nothing wrong with that. Infact it is super imperative for parents to display love in front of their children and showing love includes but not limited to kissing, hugging, sharing and playing together.
Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by HoneySwag(f): 3:05am On Oct 04, 2014
It's not a bad idea for parents to show affections in front of their children but such should have limits cos children tend to pick up certain acts
Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by slickyb(f): 3:06am On Oct 04, 2014
der is really nothing wrong in displaying affection, but wen d kids are around it should b lessened, esp d kissing ish, but 4 every oda affection y not! I luv dem pet names...my parents still do dat
Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Nobody: 3:09am On Oct 04, 2014
....its not wrong..but some children like to imitate their parents,they may go to the public nd start practising it...

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by StealthyMe(m): 3:09am On Oct 04, 2014
Moderation is the key...Its okay and at least,it shows and teaches the kids to show care and love

1 Like

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by MadCow1: 3:09am On Oct 04, 2014
[b]No it isn't. ..

If anything, it's important that parents show affection in from of their kids.

Reason: A child who grows up seeing his/her parents being affectionate with each other would automatically register that as the norm for married couples and most likely grow up to pattern their marriage to be like that. It's sort of like a boy who grows to see his father beat his mum and other women is also most likely to grow up to be the same way or a girl who grew up in a house where her mum was constantly abused is likely to grow up and tolerate similar abuse from a man as in her subconscious it is the norm.

Like the wise Biblical book of Solomon says; Train up a Child in the way he/she should grow and when they are old, it would not leave them. Training a child goes beyond just formal and informal education, the environment, ambience, home, atmosphere and all those other minor things all count towards a child's upbringing. Just like parents should not smoke, do drugs, get drunk, fight and have sex in front of their kids, it is also important that they show affection towards each other, tolerance, understanding, communication, hard work and all those other positive traits in front of their kids..

Thanks..

[/b]

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by lekjons(m): 3:12am On Oct 04, 2014
COOL
Re: Is It Wrong For Parents To Display Affection In Front Of Their Children? by Nobody: 3:15am On Oct 04, 2014
happy birthday to me..+fp tinx...back to d matter..@ op...its very wrong for d parents to do such...i will xplain later...for niw...its all about my birthday...give me some likes pipo.....smiles....

33 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Woman Gives Birth To Triplets After Losing 2 Children To Kidnappers (photo) / Should A Single Lady Be Friends With A Married Man? / Baby Rescued Alive From Toilet Pipe After Being Flushed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.