Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,356 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:16 AM

Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation (42567 Views)

BBC Said This About The Nigerian Flag / Helicopters Hovering Round Onitsha With Nigerian Flag - Pics / Nigeria Is An Islamic Nation, The Unknown Handover Done By Babangida (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by Chxta(m): 10:33am On Jun 28, 2006
Erm, so what Christian organisation exists for Naija to join so we can hurry up and sign on?
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by Ashiwaju(m): 1:05pm On Jun 28, 2006
too bad, i typed quite a lot of things earlier

but anyway

@Mrmayor

I can now see that all you want to do is just turn twist every word and sentence to suit your belief.

Hausa is different from Arabic and Hausa is also different frm Neejay, We have got the best catholics in Nigeria,the best and the most recognised catholic members accross the world. if babangida took nigeria to IOC in 1986 why can't Obasanjo who is a renowed Christian Take Nigeria to the Christian commitee that is if there is any. Dont forget we have CAN in nigerian and they are well represented accross the world.

The inscription on the note has nothing to do with Nigeria being an islamic country, It was obj that invented the 1000 naira note, should he have inscribed Latins and greeks to replace the arabic symbols to prove that its has nothing to do with Nigerian being an Islamic nation?

We ave got various humans,various belief,diverse background, Norms and Myth, If an hausa man go against the law why not see justice to it? why blame the entire country for a faction of the north having Sharia? the sharia thing wasnt forced on them in the first place and i tell you, if the next gov decides to remove the sharia, would it still change a thing? Call a spade a spade and stop turn twisting.

@ Hotangel and Chxta

Thanks for the wonderful peice. too bad i couldnt recollect all i have said earlier. I think my laptop is angry today but anyways we ll sort things out later on as i remember cheesy
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by Idekeson(m): 3:21pm On Jun 28, 2006
Ashiwaju:

We have got the best catholics in Nigeria,the best and the most recognised catholic members accross the world. if babangida took nigeria to IOC in 1986 why can't Obasanjo who is a renowed Christian Take Nigeria to the Christian commitee that is if there is any. Dont forget we have CAN in nigerian and they are well represented accross the world.

Maybe I should explain this simple issue a million times for it to sink into your head. Nigeria is a secular country, according to the constitution. The supreme law of the land.. Meaning, it is unconstitutional for the government to enroll in any religious based organization like the OIC. The Supreme Council on Islamic Affairs can join the OIC, so can the Christian Association of Nigeria join any Christian based organization, if they choose to. But, not the government of Nigeria. The state cannot adopt any state religion, even if it is implied.
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by Ashiwaju(m): 4:32pm On Jun 28, 2006
Mr Idekeson,

If i must comment based on the arguement then i think you are tha one whose head needs to be checked, its a clear arguement, rasie ur facts without insults! Damn angry

If the military took nigeria to the OIC why didnt the Civilian Govt take it out of there if its a threat? Why cant the supposed constitution refrain them from taking such step i.e if dt law truly exist.

From your last post, i see nothing and i mean not one word indicates that nigeria is an islamic nation and why manipulate on the section that intrest you from my post? what happened to the rest. Damn
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 28, 2006
well 50% of nigeria are muslim
40% - christian
10%- other
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by mustafar1: 9:14pm On Jun 28, 2006
some peoples arguments on this thread are totally narrow and extremely shallow. although i respect them as your thoughts and opinion i would want a situation where your point of view would have more depth to it. if u would permit me to think on the same line as urs. since the USA has "in God we trust" printed on their bill does that mean categorically that the USA is a religious country or worse still a christian country.

information energizes! if u could come up with better reasons or arguments to support your point of view u never know i might join u in convincing the length, breath and height of nairaland that nigeria is an islamic country.
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by Jalal(m): 10:56pm On Jun 28, 2006
@Only some one like Afeni can post such a topic as this, im sure he must be GREEN with envy at people more knowledgeable than him!!
There is no where written or otherwise that say that green and white are the colors of islam.
Green signifies nature and white signifies peace if Islamic countries want to adopt that as their flag so be it.

Afeni pls stop being a GREENhorn go get educated!!!!! tongue
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by Nutter(m): 11:30pm On Jun 28, 2006
davidylyan:

Green - Agriculture = Imported food stuff you mean?
White - Peace = The kind of peace in the Niger Delta?

What about black for oil? That seems to be the only thing we produce these days. Red for all the Niger Delta and religious cartoon palaver.

Flag of Nigeria - Black Red Black

cheesy True word brother; true word! grin
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by aykay(m): 3:39am On Jul 01, 2006
nigeria has green on its flag, nigeria has some islamic symbol on its bank notes, nigeria is on some list of islamic nations, blah blah blah,
what a load of bollocks!!! who gives a f**k?
at the end of the day we are all free to practice woteva religion we want to so everyone is happy.
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by grafikdon: 10:43am On Jul 01, 2006
K2DaC:

well 50% of nigeria are muslim
40% - christian
10%- other

I believe you came up with this based on land mark. In the north, there are lots of Christians. When you go down to the West, it is divided between the two but I believe there are more Christians. In the East there are hardly anyone into islam, at least I know only 0.01% of Igbos are Islam, go do the maths. Pretty simple. That statistics you provided is more like something out of Time Magazine,
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by ajia23(m): 11:35am On Jul 01, 2006
Afeni

Thanks for letting me know Nigeria is a Muslim country. I am greatly encouraged, and I will work very hard to make it a better muslim country before I die.
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by debosky(m): 3:04am On Jul 02, 2006
I'm sorry to say Afeni and mrmayor, you guys are talking out of your @$$e$ again as usual.

I think you've already been told the origin of the flag so i won't go into that, its another stupid attempt by afeni to sow his seeds of hatred

even if we were to agree that the colors were 'musilm' ( what an extremely stupid notion) when did Nigeria join the OIC? wasn't it during babangida's era?

i'm sure you'll now say it was a conspiracy that started right from the point the flag was chosen. some people will say whatever bull$hit is required just to

butress their warped opinions

i'm sure you'll find some warped logic to justify sooner or later

jobless rabblerousers angry angry
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by mrmayor(m): 9:27am On Jul 03, 2006
Hot-Angel,

You stated that Huasas have their own language and only use Arabic for religious teaching,you are somewhat correct but you failed to mention that almost all Muslim Children go to religious Schools called Madras's.Where they are taught the Koran in Arabic.We have come to know words like Aboki,Sanu,Araba,Kano,Mallam are all Hausa words both spelt out using English Alphabets.
Words like Mohamed,Abdul,Bin Laden are Arabic Words also spelt words using English alphabets.The logic is this, if you can write Hausa words with alphabets everyone can understand,why write it with Arabic words only those who got Koranic Education could understand?

You stated Nigeria has to recognize we have Muslims,I agree

I recognize Muslims for riots in Jos 1945=Death toll over 500 people
I recognize Muslims for Araba riots May 1966=Death toll,in the thousands
I recognize Muslims for the Pogrom that follow July 29 1966 Coup= Death toll Half A Million People
I recognize Muslims for using Starvation as a Weapon Of Mass Destruction.= Death toll 2 Million People
I recognize Muslims for the scores riots and slaughter in the North,Sharia,Arabic on Naira Notes,Arabic on Nigerian Army Flag,stealing of over $300 billion from the Niger Delta,and don't forget taking Nigeria into the Terrorist Club,OIC.

All these Atrocities were all committed under the Christian Designed,Peace and Agriculture,GREEN AND WHITE FLAG

Enjoy
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by Chxta(m): 10:04am On Jul 03, 2006
Privet is a word in Russian, normally written in Cyrillic
mrmayor:

Hot-Angel,

You stated that Huasas have their own language and only use Arabic for religious teaching,you are somewhat correct but you failed to mention that almost all Muslim Children go to religious Schools called Madras's.Where they are taught the Koran in Arabic.We have come to know words like Aboki,Sanu,Araba,Kano,Mallam are all Hausa words both spelt out using English Alphabets.
Words like Mohamed,Abdul,Bin Laden are Arabic Words also spelt words using English alphabets.The logic is this, if you can write Hausa words with alphabets everyone can understand,why write it with Arabic words only those who got Koranic Education could understand?

You stated Nigeria has to recognize we have Muslims,I agree

I recognize Muslims for riots in Jos 1945=Death toll over 500 people
I recognize Muslims for Araba riots May 1966=Death toll,in the thousands
I recognize Muslims for the Pogrom that follow July 29 1966 Coup= Death toll Half A Million People
I recognize Muslims for using Starvation as a Weapon Of Mass Destruction.= Death toll 2 Million People
I recognize Muslims for the scores riots and slaughter in the North,Sharia,Arabic on Naira Notes,Arabic on Nigerian Army Flag,stealing of over $300 billion from the Niger Delta,and don't forget taking Nigeria into the Terrorist Club,OIC.

All these Atrocities were all committed under the Christian Designed,Peace and Agriculture,GREEN AND WHITE FLAG

Enjoy
But I just wrote it in English
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by ajia23(m): 11:53am On Jul 03, 2006
Mrmayor

Here we go again with unsubstantiated and frivolous claims and assertions. God help you.
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by Ashiwaju(m): 1:06pm On Jul 03, 2006
look who is talking? Mrmayor again? What has gotten on to you man? why not use real and accurate facts to justify your claims?

I ll be on da fence anyways.
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by mrmayor(m): 1:48pm On Jul 03, 2006
Ashiwaju:

look who is talking? Mrmayor again? What has gotten on to you man? why not use real and accurate facts to justify your claims?
I ll be on da fence anyways.

Please can you provide evidence how my statements are inaccurate? Which one is wrong?

Nigeria's membership of OIC,Sharia,Danish Cartoon and Miss World Massacres,the Pogrom that followed the Captains Coup of July 29 1966,Arabic on the Naira note and the flag of the Army?Even when nobody is an Arab in Nigeria?The Asaba Massacre of male children by Multalla Mohamed during the Civil War?

Please specify the ones that are wrong and I would correct myself accordingly.

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by Ashiwaju(m): 2:38pm On Jul 03, 2006
@ Mrmayor,

please do yah sef a favour and read ova and ova again from da page one till da present page and u ll see y u have to correct yah sef.

Still sitting on da fence!
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by hotangel2(f): 3:27pm On Jul 03, 2006
mrmayor, dAMN, u Got it TWISTED dude. I mean dayum, u let urself believe so many yam-yam-poo.

mrmayor:

The logic is this, if you can write Hausa words with alphabets everyone can understand,why write it with Arabic words only those who got Koranic Education could.

WOW! U really don't get it do you?

Now LISTEN CAREFULLY! The Arabic WORDS are not meant for hausa people! There are muslim yoruba, and muslim igbos.

The arabic words aren't for hausa people. get it to ur head. I sometimes wonder why people think hausa people are the only ones who understand 'arabic' in Nigeria.

And AGAIN, Not EVERYONE can understand hausa. Just because u know was 'sanu, and lafiya, and ina kwana" is don't mean u understand hausa.

U know wat, i just realise something. U don't wanna learn! And u just Cook up stuffs u call 'facts'.

if u can open ur mouth and say everyone understand hausa, i think that just tells me that i need to shut up. Because i smell ignorance.
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by mrmayor(m): 7:45pm On Jul 03, 2006
Hot-Angel,

Did I cook up the fact that half a million people were killed from 29 July 1966 to the beginning of the Civil War?
Did I cook up the fact that Nigeria used starvation as a weapon,Sharia,OIC etc

I never stated that everyone understood Hausa,I stated we have come to know about words like sanu,mallam because its written with English alphabets.

There is no need to get carried away,you believe in One Nigeria no doubt.I have kept my post factually correct and free from insults.
If you have facts about Nigeria I don't know of please do share.

Cheers
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by Chxta(m): 7:47pm On Jul 03, 2006
The facts have been placed all over this thread, can't you read?

I'm enjoying your company by the way? Why aren't you back in the other thread? I'll soon be leaving sadly, U just called, she's rounding off at work.
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by segedoo(m): 4:23pm On Mar 13, 2007
@DaHitler

u're one ignorant dude man.

the designer of the flag ins't a muslim
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by 9ja4eva: 1:24am On Mar 27, 2007
What kind of assumption is dis?
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by douknow: 7:51pm On Jan 23, 2011
Is the colour of our the problem ?,

1.why we don't have light

2.Good roads

3.Good education system

4.why ur NASS take 25% and education get 3%

The guy just want to create an unnecesary issue btw Good Christian and Muslim.

The should delete himself from this platform
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by ShangoThor(m): 3:21am On Jan 24, 2011
Interesting thread, the flag of Southern Nigeria was very different,

Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by Nobody: 6:50am On Jan 24, 2011
Ignorance is truly a disease.
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by Michjoe: 1:37pm On Jan 26, 2011
Dis man na yeye person oh!!! he is ignorant of himself &heis a stupid man he does not deserve to be a 9ja, he should go back to India. Nonsensical lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by kandid: 8:51am On Feb 18, 2011
This was a long post really but i cant stop laughing, Such thought is normal especially in a country like Nigeria where we have suffered much religions crises, where one religion group kill the other and the government tells the other to be calm in the name of their God.

The flag of a nation has many things it tells the world color affiliation often exist but its not absolute identity. for instance, one or 2 nations that have their history originated from USA often have a red strip and white stars (Liberia), Many countries of British origin do have something similar to "union jack" (Australia and British former colony). The green and white in the islamic countries' flags may also be a symbol of national origin, but then not absolute reason. countries around the world share similar flag resemblance and never had historical relationship.

Maybe i can help you guy. USA and Nigeria are Islamic nations because our senate house and USA white house have dome-shape of a mosque, lol
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by Kennyblues(m): 1:02pm On Feb 18, 2011
If you look around the world you can see the importance of flags. As soon as you hear "death to America" in the so-called Arab street, the next thing that follows is the US flag in flames. When I was in Nigeria a couple of years ago, I went to visit my dad in the east of Nigeria. And flying all over Awka (capital of Anambra state) were Biafran flags (left), fluttering blatantly in the dry harmattan wind. So it came as no surprise when the Nigerian government arrested Ralph Uwazurike, the Biafran separatist leader. During the recent spells of civil unrest in the East, reports spoke about graffiti with the words, "this is Biafra, rejoice". People need to wake and see what the symbols are saying. I have the Biafran flag up as my msn messenger picture. I didn't do it because I support the break up of Nigeria, but because I believe that the issues which resulted in the Biafran Civil War still exist, and still threaten our "one Nigeria". I have the flag up as a reminder. But do people care? Do they heck.
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by Kennyblues(m): 1:03pm On Feb 18, 2011
If you look around the world you can see the importance of flags. As soon as you hear "death to America" in the so-called Arab street, the next thing that follows is the US flag in flames. When I was in Nigeria a couple of years ago, I went to visit my dad in the east of Nigeria. And flying all over Awka (capital of Anambra state) were Biafran flags (left), fluttering blatantly in the dry harmattan wind. So it came as no surprise when the Nigerian government arrested Ralph Uwazurike, the Biafran separatist leader. During the recent spells of civil unrest in the East, reports spoke about graffiti with the words, "this is Biafra, rejoice". People need to wake and see what the symbols are saying. I have the Biafran flag up as my msn messenger picture. I didn't do it because I support the break up of Nigeria, but because I believe that the issues which resulted in the Biafran Civil War still exist, and still threaten our "one Nigeria". I have the flag up as a reminder. But do people care? Do they heck.

Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by MeAboki(m): 6:49am On Feb 19, 2011
Kai, the level of bigotry and ignorance in this thread and NL in general is mind blowing. shocked , though I am equally encouraged by the objectivity expressed by some.

To those who question the true origin/rationale behind the Arabic inscription on our currency and military insignia and prefer to propagate false conspiracy theory of its supposed Islamic connection (hot angel and co), pls refer to this link for an article by Dr. Nowa Omoigui, a Christian from Edo State, I believe.                              

http://www.gamji.com/nowa/nowa104.htm

Its all there, he explained IT all.

And for those who can't be bothered to read:
The notion was entirely a British one (Lord Lugard, also a Christian) in colonial days (when no Muslim could have influenced such decision), see picture of the West African Pound.

The reason:
                  "Arabic (was) the only written "indigenous" language anywhere in Nigeria/West Africa, particularly among the widely spread Hausa trader class across the region." - (Wow! shocked shocked so the non Hausa tribes were stark illiterates at the time - sorry couldn't resist a little small dig at the bigots  cheesy grin cool)

In short, anybody with a quarrel on this issue should please take it up with Lord Lugard. cool cool

Well, as for the alleged Islamic connection with the Nigerian flag, the logic is as ridiculous as that of a man who saw a cow and noted that it had 4 legs then on sighting a dog he reasoned, ah! it has  4 legs, then it must be a COW!!!.

RIDICULOUS, JUST PLAIN STuuuUUUPIIID sad sad sad cry cry cry
Re: Nigerian Flag: Green, White, Green = Islamic Nation by MeAboki(m): 7:01am On Feb 19, 2011
^^^^
The picture upload failed in my earlier post, so I will attempt to do so here>

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ayo Fayose Reacts To Kaduna Massacre From EFCC Custody / Protesters Attack Oyo Governor's Office / Rogba Fayose Graduates From Covenant University (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.