Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:57 PM

Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? (1296 Views)

The Best Among PD Proxy, Above VPN, Wi Free , Sandwich VPN And Tunnel Guru / What's Wrong With My Multilinks Modem? Any Ideas? / To Watch TV on a PC. Any Ideas How? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? by gentleone(f): 4:57pm On Jun 27, 2006
Pls how do i get a wi-fi installation on a laptop that uses dsl to connect to the internet?
Re: Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? by jek(m): 9:32pm On Jun 27, 2006
does your laptop have a wireless LAN? if it does you need no further installation,but if doesn't then you need to get one and install it by installing the drivers first, then do the necessary configuration .
Re: Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? by gentleone(f): 9:44am On Jun 28, 2006
yeah, it has a wireless Lan but where do i go from there?
Re: Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? by Chxta(m): 10:02am On Jun 28, 2006
You've not made your situation clear. Does the laptop have an in-built wireless support? If not then does it have a PCI slot? If yes then get a wireless PCI card (I recommend an Orinoco card).

Other than that, you might want to know that it is possible to extend an existing DSL connection to include wireless.
Re: Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? by Jabs(m): 8:22am On Jun 29, 2006
Jek i am interested in the configuration to be carried out on the Laptop to connect to a nearby DSL. I also have a Notebook with inbuilt WI-FI features. Please share

segun
smiley
Re: Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? by biodun1030(m): 10:55am On Jun 29, 2006
Where you go from there is to hook up with an ISP, the ISP will be in a better position to tell you more. Allow the ISP to get the wireless equiptments for you, so as to hook them to work each time you are not connect to their SERVER.

But if you insist on the configuration, let me know.

BB
Re: Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? by k9(m): 10:35pm On Jun 29, 2006
gentleone i wanna know who provides you with dsl. and what part of town, if u dont mind my asking
Re: Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? by gentleone(f): 3:19pm On Jun 30, 2006
thanks all, the ISP has woken up from their sleep and decided to do the installation.
i had actually called them before but they were dragging their leg thats why i was looking for an alternative. they said they'll change their equipment, thats all.

@k9,the ISP is 21st century.
Re: Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? by k9(m): 12:54am On Jul 04, 2006
Hmm, gentleone, it seems you have just started using their service so you might not be in the best position for me to ask your opinion on their service (or are u). perhaps in time i will. Or perhaps you can offer some insight all the same as i'm in dire need of broadband. pls reply here if u will or check my profile 2 get in directly in touch with me.
Re: Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? by Saddam: 1:52am On Jul 06, 2006
@k9 Have check on MyNetcom High Speed Broadband www.mynetcomng.com

@gentleone
I need 2 know more about the speed and coverage area of ur ISP
Kindly check my profile 2 get in touch with me.

Hope u will do that.
Re: Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? by gentleone(f): 11:16am On Jul 13, 2006
@K9 n saddam, i don't know what the speed is o but its always quite fast and reliable except for when they have issues at their end. i only know of their VI and apapa services but i'm sure they cover other areas. you guys can call them on 2705499.
Re: Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? by Saddam: 9:10am On Aug 16, 2006
@gentleone
I just came across an ISP with the name 21st century. at Muri Okunola Off Etim Iyang St. V/I
Re: Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? by Saddam: 9:12am On Aug 16, 2006
@gentleone
I just came across an ISP with the name 21st century. at Muri Okunola Off Etim Iyang St. V/I

Although am now on Starcomms EVDO wireless connection and it very fast.
Re: Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? by hayprof(m): 12:21pm On Aug 16, 2006
Starcomms EVDO?
When did they launch dat i neva heard of it ooo!
Gist me about it.
Re: Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? by Christino(m): 6:45pm On Sep 29, 2006
Saddam:

@gentleone

Although am now on Starcomms EVDO wireless connection and it very fast.

whatz the maximum download speed of the EVDO?
Re: Wi-fi Installation, Any Ideas? by jydoh(m): 9:24pm On Sep 29, 2006
ialso got a wi-fi connection on my laptop, but it hardly wva connects. the last time i was at stacomms to update my connections , it connected to ther base station. the little i know about wi-fi is that you cant connect to any base station except on auhtority i.e. you have to subscribe for connection terms from the ISP provider. i guess Stacomms also does that. get in touch. but WI-FI has limited connectivity but more than Bluetooth.

(1) (Reply)

Windows Media Player 11 or Media Monkey / Multilinks Blue Broadband Router For Sale, / Windows Blue (windows 8.1) : The Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.