Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,609 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:08 AM

60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? (11659 Views)

When People Are Sacked From Their Jobs, Do They Get Paid? / For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be / The Number Of Persons That Lost Their Jobs In Nigeria:The Second Quarter Of 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Gbosko: 10:58pm On Aug 26, 2008
While I think things are quite bad in Nigeria, I also think this poster's report is heavily flawed, lacks validity, and stems from someones frenzied imaginations. The targets purported as being is definitely a joke. And for your information, much as alot of slightly comfortable Nigerians work in the banking sector, most banks are still much understaffed. So my friend, relax and stop causing unnecessary panic. smiley
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by sexibabes: 10:12am On Aug 27, 2008
mistake please
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 27, 2008
sexibabes:

If you follow this steps,you will get pregnant only when you want to.
1.from the first day you see the blood of your period.
2.pick up a calendar and count 15days including the first day of the blood stain.
3.Mark the 15th day with a pen
4.Mark 3 days before the 15th day
5.Mark 3 days after the 15th day
6.you will notice you have 7 days marked.these 7 days are your ovulation/fertile days.meaning if you have sex on any of these days then you have 98% chances of being pregnant.
7.Do these every month and try and abide by these rules

Is that for female bankers? 
I guess you're so engrossed in the romance section that you simply thought every topic is about sex.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by jaybee3(m): 10:23am On Aug 27, 2008
candy:

Is that for female bankers?
I guess you're so engrossed in the romance section that you simply thought every topic is about sex.

ROFLMAO
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by slyk2(m): 11:32am On Aug 27, 2008
Its quite pathetic.
The banks in Nigeria are sick, very very sick.
Do you blink the eye when some folk say female bankers are prostitutes?

But all these calls for serious brain storming.
Unfortunately no one is forced to work in a bank but where do these bank executives want these young ladies to get th money from?

Infact, we have to start looking at entreprenuership the more.
Start something on your own and do all you can to grow the enterprise.
Why do i say so? if you put in the amount of time you put into banking work to work for yourself the result will be more positive for you.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by slyk2(m): 11:44am On Aug 27, 2008
Invest your energy in a biz meant for yourself
and watch it grow.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by jydewalker(m): 1:21pm On Aug 27, 2008
As a person. I can never trust Tribune. Have you read these piece in another Newspaper in this country?

tribune cannot be trusted for things like these. \if it is western politics, i may. But think of it, who will do their jobs for them, if 60% were sacked?

Naija reason, if only u know how bank work, u wl know that they cannot sack upto that level.

\how sure are they, that the newly to be employ and recruited staff will perform beyon these ones.

enjoy yrsef.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by ikestarr: 2:52pm On Aug 27, 2008
Everything that goes up comes down and in this part of the world we have what I would like to describe as "PURE WATER MENTALITY" When someone starts something everybody dives in. I feel its sad to count other peoples money for a living that is what Banking in Nigeria has dengenerated into. angry
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by venture08: 4:00pm On Aug 27, 2008
WHY WILL AN ABLE BODIED MAN DEDICATE HIS ENTIRE LIFE TO SPECULATIONS ON THE DOWNFALL OF BANKS.NA BANKER SNATCH YOUR WIFE ABI ANOTHER THING DEY?I THINK IT'S HIGHTIME MR. FINECAT CONFESS.MAYBE WE CAN SETTLE THIS LONG STANDING FUED BETWEEN HIM AND THE BANKS.I'M ABOUT JOINING A BANK AND ALL YOUR BAD MOUTH WILL ONLY GEAR ME ON.LET THEM SET 1 TRILLION NAIRA TARGET!
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Finecat(m): 5:15pm On Aug 27, 2008
venture08:

WHY WILL AN ABLE BODIED MAN DEDICATE HIS ENTIRE LIFE TO SPECULATIONS ON THE DOWNFALL OF BANKS.NA BANKER SNATCH YOUR WIFE ABI ANOTHER THING DEY?I THINK IT'S HIGHTIME MR. FINECAT CONFESS.MAYBE WE CAN SETTLE THIS LONG STANDING FUED BETWEEN HIM AND THE BANKS.I'M ABOUT JOINING A BANK AND ALL YOUR BAD MOUTH WILL ONLY GEAR ME ON.LET THEM SET 1 TRILLION NAIRA TARGET!

You should be ashamed of yourself. You've been waiting for intercontinental since last year. You passed all the stages and yet no job, doesn't that tell you something? No banker is man enough to snatch the kind of women i deal with. I hate banks because they are crooked and they owe me lots of money. Keep waiting for your day at the slave field. Yeye boy. MY HEART BLEEDS FOR NAIJA, WHEN OUR ABLE BODIED YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN SIT AT HOME WAITING FOR A BANK JOB FOR A YEAR. IT IS REALLY PATHETIC !!
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by IncaGold(m): 5:42pm On Aug 27, 2008
as per people losing jobs that i dont know. But that nigerian banks are not so strong i think i agree. My source is not Tribune, but JP Morgan Analyst report on Nigerian banks
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by soloqy: 6:15pm On Aug 27, 2008
Finecat:

You should be ashamed of yourself. You've been waiting for intercontinental since last year. You passed all the stages and yet no job, doesn't that tell you something? No banker is man enough to snatch the kind of women i deal with. I hate banks because the are crooked and they owe me lots of money. KeeIp waiting for your day at the slave field. Yeye boy. MY HEART BLEEDS FOR NAIJA, WHEN OUR ABLE BODIED YOUNG MEN AND WOMEN SIT AT HOME WAITING FOR A BANK JOB FOR A YEAR. IT IS REALLY PATHETIC !!

@Finecat

I fear for this your heart o.

Its always bleeding for naija. grin

But I read some of your posts and though I think the alarm on them going down so is a little exaggerated, I must agree with you on some issues concerning IBPLC.

A female friend just finished the training and they were all posted into marketing. I mean all, according to her whether male or female.

The sad part is that some of the people at that training were already offered better pay at some other banks but IBPLC lured them with juicier offers just to come at the 2nd week before they were taken to tell em that the intro level pay would now be much less than they earlier promised.

Thats deceit of the highest order and we ought to speak out at what is bad.

I bank with IBPLC and they are usually the first to start a lot of stupid deductions from your account.

I was never charged for using ATM with my GTB account(even if I was charged, it would have been so insignificant for me not to notice it).

But IBPLC started charging me 50 naira for withdrawing from their own ATM with my IBPLC atm card. Thats unbelievable.

1000 naira for every 1 million naira cash deposit(They call it cash handling fee).

So many things that they have their charges either inflated or inserted without you being aware of their existence before hand.

So I wonder, if they are so sound financially, why do they find ways to take money from people like this?

I am happy when banks employ to fill in places at the new branches cause thats a lot of people out of the job market but they ought to be sincere in their dealings with the job seekers and the staff.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Roughlen(m): 9:44pm On Aug 27, 2008
@ poster

I tought target setting is only for marketing staff cos I have alot of friends who work with banks and are not given any target.

So is the paper saying 60% of the bankers are marketers? Even if that is true, will they sack all their maketers at once.

Doesn't make sense to me.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Ruddyface(f): 10:05pm On Aug 27, 2008
Gbosko:

While I think things are quite bad in Nigeria, I also think this poster's report is heavily flawed, lacks validity, and stems from someones frenzied imaginations. The targets purported as being is definitely a joke. And for your information, much as alot of slightly comfortable Nigerians work in the banking sector, most banks are still much understaffed. So my friend, relax and stop causing unnecessary panic. smiley

Don't mind the poster (Finecat or is it Finedog?), he is filled with delusion. People just speak out of envious speculations,they do not even know the industry well. Is banking all about cash transactions that ATMs would almost replace people? When the machines cash out, who would reload them? Machines? Not even in the US is that done.

Would machine also take up functions of treasury operations, credit booking, credit risk management, legal, HR, financial control, internal control, systems security management, IT, applications management, corporate services and communications, audit/ inspection, physical security, property management and transport pool management e.t.c

Ignorance is really a disease. We still recruit people for banks in droves. This is the sector that has done the most for Nigerian graduates. Go and see what V***fone and co are doing to Nigerian graduates, they trek round towns and cities on peanut salaries with promises to make their appointments permanent only if they meet set target over a period. And they don't mind how this is achieved.

I am serious about connecting the poster if he is so bitter about his not being employed by any bank, even Un**n Bank, which is also recruiting at the moment.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Finecat(m): 1:22am On Aug 28, 2008
Ruddyface:

Don't mind the poster (Finecat or is it Finedog?), he is filled with delusion. People just speak out of envious speculations,they do not even know the industry well. Is banking all about cash transactions that ATMs would almost replace people? When the machines cash out, who would reload them? Machines? Not even in the US is that done.

Would machine also take up functions of treasury operations, credit booking, credit risk management, legal, HR, financial control, internal control, systems security management, IT, applications management, corporate services and communications, audit/ inspection, physical security, property management and transport pool management e.t.c

Ignorance is really a disease. We still recruit people for banks in droves. This is the sector that has done the most for Nigerian graduates. Go and see what V***phone and co are doing to Nigerian graduates, they trek round towns and cities on peanut salaries with promises to make their appointments permanent only if they meet set target over a period. And they don't mind how this is achieved.

I am serious about connecting the poster if he is so bitter about his not being employed by any bank, even Un**n Bank, which is also recruiting at the moment.

That is a whole lot of Bull crap you just vomitted. I can succesfully employ you and 10 bank workers. Nigerian banks and managements are a true reflections of the Nigerian Govt. lies lies and more lies. I wish the banks well but only if they can be truthful and practise in good faith. YOU MY FRIEND OBVIOUSLY KNOWS NOTHING YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, I DON'T BLAME YOU FOR DEFENDING YOUR BOYFRIEND'S EMPLOYERS (BANKS). I refuse to argue any further with a naive individual.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by cgift(m): 8:39am On Aug 28, 2008
Finecat:

I can succesfully employ you and 10 bank workers.

If you can pay 10 of me at N11m p.a. each then you are the man! This is just for small me sha. But if you can also pay my 10 of my boss on N20m p.a. each and even 10 of a higher boss on N30m p.a. each, then you should no longer be FINECAT but FINE LION undecided
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by sabak: 11:14am On Aug 28, 2008
leave finecat, he is just a fool, to him and his likes, bankers are -- tellers and OND level marketers because those are the ones he has access to. let me tell the house, as it is now, 60% of Nigeria's most intelligent graduates are employed in the banking sector because thats is where the opportunities are, if the opportunities come else where, its this same 6o% that will swarm there and out do people like finecat. look at telecoms, at the advent of GSM coys, where did they source most of there top management staff. the head of training in my bank left a few month ago to head training at chevron, about one and half years ago,first bank poached the head of hr at shell, do u think it takes coins to hire people wey pass test wey u know fit pass. go to top universities in the UK and do an analysis of Nigerian students in their post graduate schools, 65% or more are from naija's banking industry, preparing themselves to take advantage in an emerging economy, u dey here dey do multilevel marketing abi weting u call am. better re define your path.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by IncaGold(m): 12:03pm On Aug 28, 2008
@Finecat,
You've touched a sore point! Created fear in the minds of millions, cos if the banking sector retrenches "yawa" don gas be dat for people. Even if what you're saying is true, just tone it down a bit cos everyone will continue attacking. Over 80% of people on this forum are affiliated to banks one way or the order.

PS: Dont say scrap about people's means of livelihood, cos u get attacked.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by MyPeace(f): 2:54pm On Aug 28, 2008
na today? l knew the topic will be bias when l saw the poster's name. Finecat u must always represent!!!
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Toks2008(m): 8:10pm On Aug 28, 2008
Fellow Nairalanders,

I remember a thread that reads"Praise God, I finally landed a job in intercontinental bank after waiting for years,

What got me so angry was not the thread itself but series or congratulatory posts in response to this thread and i remember my post asking nairalanders if they would have sent same congratulatory messages to this chap if he posted "Praise God, i have finally succeeded in setting up a zobo juice production business"

What i am trying to say in essence is that we all should embrace the enterprenural atitude. Yes we all know how hard it is in a downturn economy but the truth is that if your mind is willing and with God by your side, you will make it in any business of your dream.

Remember Coca cola story. This guy was moving from house to house, selling coke then in a kettle and the colour was not the one we know today. The guy made his land mark but he may not make all the millions then but he created a world wide brand that has affected generations past and will affect generations unborn,

Even the owner of the banks you crave to work were dreams and initiative of some people like us so you can also be what you want to be and achieve whatever you dream of.

To end this, i would like to tell you the secret of succesful men. Failure excites them, they drink risk and eat challenge and dream only of success. Pray hard and command whatever you want to come to you and that will happen. Remember that you are created in GOD's image so the same creative power that God is in you.

Dream of a business idea, do your home work, pray to GOD be patience and persevere and i bet you that success is just around the corner.

Toks
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Ruddyface(f): 10:33pm On Aug 28, 2008
Finecat:

That is a whole lot of Bull crap you just vomitted. I can succesfully employ you and 10 bank workers. Nigerian banks and managements are a true reflections of the Nigerian Govt. lies lies and more lies. I wish the banks well but only if they can be truthful and practise in good faith. YOU MY FRIEND OBVIOUSLY KNOWS NOTHING YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT, I DON'T BLAME YOU FOR DEFENDING YOUR BOYFRIEND'S EMPLOYERS (BANKS). I refuse to argue any further with a naive individual.

Mr Finedog/cat,

Your outburst makes me laugh. grin grin grin grin Now I believe for sure that you are a frustrated individual! Your tone betrays you. So you want to employ me? That's nice, you must be very, very, very rich wink wink . Please don't even bother adding any other person to it, let alone 10 bankers as you boasted. My bill is seven figures per month when converted to Nigerian naira. cool cool cool

Oh, I wasn't defending banks because they are my boyfriend's employers as you alleged, they are my clients. For your info I am a consultant that has had modest achievements for my age. I have a PhD in Monetary Economics and run a successful consultancy outfit. So do you still want to employ me? What, if I may ask, makes you think that you have knowledge of the industry when you could not even address issues but engaged in mere speculations that have no realistic basis or iota of truth.

No wonder it is said that even a fool is thought wise if only he keeps quiet.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by timbabng(m): 10:38am On Aug 29, 2008
with all these, people are still praying for bank jobs. sad
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by venture08: 1:37pm On Aug 29, 2008
MY OH MY,THIS ONE DON KOLO O!WHY ARE YOU SO BITTER?I THINK I NOW UNDERSTAMD YOUR PROBLEM.IT'S REALLY A PITY BUT SHIT HAPPENS.I SUGGEST ANY ONE CLOSE TO THIS FINEBOBO SHOULD TAKE HIM TO A SHRINK KPOM KPIM!
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by Anambra99: 4:55pm On Aug 29, 2008
I agree with you, abanna!! We should start investing in our own capabilities through Entrepreneurship. If only we can channel their energies into starting our own ventures, instead of depending on white-collar jobs, we will save so much of the wasted energy otherwise spent in job-hunting for jobs in which we have little security. . .
Great post. We need more people with your turn of mind.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by IncaGold(m): 3:18am On Aug 30, 2008
I hate when people just sit behind their computers and start blabbing about "how you need to start a business". It's a great thing, but not everyone is cut out for such. I applaud people with brilliant business ideas, if you're business inclined just go on and do it!
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by blacklion(m): 8:50am On Aug 30, 2008
IncaGold:

I hate when people just sit behind their computers and start blabbing about "how you need to start a business". It's a great thing, but not everyone is cut out for such. I applaud people with brilliant business ideas, if you're business inclined just go on and do it!

Well said. Not everyone is cut out to be an entrepreneur. Some people's talent lies in management and administration. Even the greatest entrepreneurs need competent, reliable and honest staff to work for them and build up their business. Unless you want to remain at the level of one-man business.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by soloqy: 11:55am On Aug 30, 2008
@IncaGold and blacklion

Great posts.

Its not as easy as they make it appear. Like you guys pointed out, there are people cut out for business and those who are not.

And believe me, if you are cut out for business, you would know it at some point. You dont need any one to tell you.

On the other hand, if you just go and jump into business based on what people say, thats a recipe for disaster.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by freddyjinx(m): 2:00pm On Aug 30, 2008
It is a pity how all of u are just blabbing ur jobless mouth on the banking sector. the last time i checked, the banking sector is the only sector that has the most job opportunity in the country. talking about enterprenuership in nigeria, it is a viable thing to engage in but only 50% of prospective nigerians have ideas on business while the remaining are left on administrative and management activities. Let us not look down on bankers. coz that is the available opportunity given to them. Do you want them to die of hunger and poverty. let us stop this gossips and talks about the sector and look up to bringing unity in ourselves.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by odedele: 3:28pm On Aug 30, 2008
all dis bad bele pple wetin banker do una.av read d article i found not fact/substance in it
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by cgift(m): 7:33pm On Aug 31, 2008
This story is not true. Banks are expanding like wildfire. who would do the job? with all them automation, people still work overnight in the office running shifts in many centralised departments. So what are we talking about? Everything cannot be 100% automated. You still need human beings to check things out and ensure things are properly running as planned.

Who wouldl do them marketing? machines? Who would do them personal / private banking services? machines? who would do them presentations and interface with regulators - machines?

last stop, if them 60% percent are to loose their jobs due to non-performance, then be rest assured that the same 60% would find their way back into the same sector just a matter of chaning emloyer thats all! It happened during consolidation. We have more people bankers now than it used to be pre-consolidation! Why? Expansion and increased businesses.

wake up to reality and dont be myopic.
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by GoldCircle: 11:06am On Sep 02, 2008
Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Banks deny claim of losses to stock crisis
By Gbenga Agbana

ALLEGED losses suffered by banks through the stock market meltdown may have been a hoax afterall, following disclosure by the financial institutions in Lagos yesterday.

Specifically, the banks explained that loans granted by them to stock-broking companies for margin trading before the recent bearish run in the stock market which caused stocks indices to plunge by about 40 per cent, did not affect the bottomline of banks, their chief executives have said.

The bankers, under the aegis of Chief Executives of Banks, which held a meeting in Lagos yesterday, picked holes in media reports, suggesting that banks may have incurred monumental losses from share purchase loans to investors.

"The reports are erroneous and a gross misrepresentation of facts probably out of ignorance", the bankers said.

Market sources, however, said there is suspicion that the alleged loss by banks to the tune of N33 billion to stock market meltdown on huge loans given out by banks as margin credits to investors who took the facilities to play in the capital market, as reported by some newspapers, are being sponsored by some foreign interests to undermine the Nigerian banks and the entire economy.

"The margin on share purchase loans created by banks ranged between 50-100 per cent against about 35 per cent gross declines in the stock market. This means that rather than outright losses, the banks still have profit margins on the loans in the range of 15 to 75 per cent. The loans are fully secured in many cases up to 150 per cent cover. The banks are fully aware of the risk in stock trading and that was why the high margins and heavy protection", the bankers explained.

"Even stockbrokers especially those affiliated to banks have not reported any such loss yet. Losses can only crystallise if brokers have sold the stocks they invested in at depreciated prices, but they have not sold yet and may not sell now as the market has started showing signs of recovery."

They further stated that "banks' CEOs are optimistic that the current rebound in the stock market will be sustained for a considerable period of time, thus further strengthening the positions of the investments in the stock market."

Moves by the Federal Government and other stakeholders to salvage the stock market from the major bearish run experienced between March and August has yielded positive results.

For instance, the All-share index which measures the movement of share prices rose by 7.74 per cent last week, closing at 47.789.20 points, up from 43,382.48 points at which it opened on Monday, while market capitalisation rose by N899 billion from N8.845 trillion to N9.744 trillion.

The development was the first time the dominance of the bears would be checkmated in five months, but it was obvious that it was not due mainly to market forces but the intervention. The indices had dipped by about 40 per cent before the intervention.

For instance, the stakeholders of the capital market met with the Federal Government early last week to discuss the way forward for the market, after which some decisions were taken.

Part of the decisions include one per cent maximum downward limit on daily basis for share price movement, whilst the current five per cent limit on upward movement was retained.

It was also agreed that Nigerian banks should restructure existing facilities extended to licensed stockbrokers, institutional and individual investors to allow longer repayment periods, while the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), also agreed to take appropriate measures to review the liquidity situation in the economy, among other resolutions.

YOUR COMMENTS PLEASE,
Re: 60% Of Bankers To Lose Their Jobs? by magica: 12:32pm On Sep 02, 2008
that is so true

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Project & Data Analysis Using SPSS, Eviews, DAD, STATA Others / For Physics With Electronics Professioner / Advice On Being An Actuary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.