Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,606 members, 7,770,599 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:58 AM

For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be (51608 Views)

Bankers/Ex-bankers In The House, A Newbie Needs Your Wealth Of Knowledge / How Much Do Bankers Earn In Nigeria? / Bankers To Be Sacked For Introducing Customers To MMM (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by Breadfruit: 7:31pm On Oct 04, 2015
Hello all.

I don't think there is a thread like this at the moment.
I am a banker, a marketer.

We all know it hasn't been a walk in the park for the banking industry in recent times-job loss, the gruelling schedule, the politics. the killing targets, manipulative colleagues, the economy and so on.

For current bankers, how do you survive as a banker and keep your head above water?

For ex bankers, how is life outside banking? Did you quit? Were you pulled out by the lure of another job or were you sacked?

Soon to be bankers, how prepared are you for the banking life?

Personally, as a marketer, it's not funny. I guess that's why people say bankers are stingy, as money is not made as easily as a civil servant would for example. So someone like me is as careful as can be when it comes to money.

Please let us all interact as adults.

6 Likes

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by omotsonfx: 9:28pm On Oct 04, 2015
Breadfruit:
Hello all.

We all know it hasn't been a walk in the park for the banking industry in recent times-job loss, the gruelling schedule, the politics. the killing targets, manipulative colleagues, the economy and so on.

For current bankers, how do you survive as a banker and keep your head above water?

For ex bankers, how is life outside banking? Did you quit? Were you pulled out by the lure of another job or were you sacked?

Personally, as a marketer, it's not funny. I guess that's why people say bankers are stingy, as money is not made as easily as a civil servant would for example. So someone like me is as careful as can be when it comes to money.

...Nice thread and good work you ve started here..i ll comment latter but i must say i seriously working hard to leave the industry..it does nt worth the stress...

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by princeRomeo(m): 7:19pm On Oct 05, 2015
Mehnnn it's really not easy
Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by chinnyc(f): 9:05am On Oct 06, 2015
I'd luv to be a banker buh nt a marketer tho d story remains its stressful.

2 Likes

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by Breadfruit: 9:05am On Oct 06, 2015
Thanks for your replies. It would however be nicer if we specify our various units. Like I said earlier, I am a marketer. This is the last quarter and year end deposit mobilization is officially on.

Hmmmn. Life as a banker is unexplainable. You just have to experience it to understand it.

When you get to a branch as a new staff , one of the questions they ask you is who do you know? Because it is expected that those you know, are the ones that would assist you meet your target.
But it is an open secret. Friends will not help you.
If that was the way it was, then i'd have long met my target. Because I do have friends in high places. Friends I went the extra mile for back then when we were students.

From experience, your rich friends keep away from you as if you are begging them for money. It is the ones who don't have that much that call you, asking for loans from you and the likes. 99% of the time, these people do not return the borrowed money. Afterall, you are a banker and you 'have money'.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by lordliri(m): 9:27pm On Oct 07, 2015
Helo, is your bank currently accepting CVS?

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by Nobody: 11:35pm On Oct 07, 2015
Banking is a rewarding job. Not a career in Nigeria. Its best you quit at most 30 years. Unfortunately most people realise this too late and they are stuck.

Most people are lazy too. They tend to relax once they get a job.

Man must aspire and pursue a dream.

For me banking is a phase, and till then...Godwin.

I work in Banking operations and I am working at crossing to lecturing or quiting to pursue a Ph.D.

29 Likes

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by Breadfruit: 9:02am On Oct 10, 2015
Crazyman, 1forall. Please assist move this thread to front page so we can get as many views and opinions as possible.

It's weekend and I'm thankful there is no training or MPR to take away my beloved 'me' time. I have learnt to appreciate times like this. I have been in a situation at work where I worked Monday to Monday.

Guitarlife, I get you. But in a situation when some people get the job at 29 years, is it then feasible to leave at 30?
Once you are there also, your plans to leave after a certain time fly out of the window. Your colleagues (the few who like you), your family, your friends advise you to get something else before you leave. Your boss tells you during the morning meeting that there is no job out there. You see the desperate customers who come with their CV to the bank telling you they wanna submit. Before you know it, your mentality becomes half bread is better than kulikuli.
So you become stuck.

Forgetting there are some opportunities being missed by remaining in the murky waters of banking....

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by praxs(m): 11:27am On Oct 10, 2015
[quote author=Guitarlife post=38769056]Banking is a rewarding job. Not a career in Nigeria. Its best you quit at most 30 years. Unfortunately most people realise this too late and they are stuck.

Most people are lazy too. They tend to relax once they get a job.

Man must aspire and pursue a dream.

For me banking is a phase, and till then...Godwin.

I work in Banking operations and I am working at crossing to lecturing or quiting to pursue a Ph.D.[/quote017-649 6566] what advise will you give to a young man, who has the choice of getting employed in the bank or a lecturer in the university? With a MS.c already
Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by Nobody: 11:30am On Oct 10, 2015
Patiently reading and following this thread. I hope it makes front page.
I recently finished NYSC this past July and am having a look in from two banks. The wait has really been long but when no consideration is coming from a different sector and one needs to man up to some responsibilities what options exist other than to join the sector.

But I would love to ask Bankers on this thread does the pay commensurate the Labour you put in?
Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by Nobody: 11:51am On Oct 10, 2015
Bubewilson:
Patiently reading and following this thread. I hope it makes front page.
I recently finished NYSC this past July and am having a look in from two banks. The wait has really been long but when no consideration is coming from a different sector and one needs to man up to some responsibilities what options exist other than to join the sector.

But I would love to ask Bankers on this thread does the pay commensurate the Labour you put in?
Two things bro, a good no of the top banks pay fine.

A few pay a lil above average.

Some departments are far more demanding than others.

You could find urself in head office unit where the pressure is lighter.

On the average, pay is good and labour is also intensive.

The problem is that the older you become on a bank job the more you loose ur value.

You hardly learn any transferable skills.

Save for a few departments job is largely monotonous.

At 45 years when you are watching over ur shoulder not to be retrenched or retired cos you would have reached the peak of ur career a Ph.D holder has about 25 years more to work cos professors retire at 70 years.

And they still employed on contract with better pay, better recognition and less stress and presure.

Its good to work in a bank in ur early years where you save money.

Just have a plan and stick with it. It takes some guts to quit but a colleague quit last week for msc in germany.

It really challenged me.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by Nobody: 11:53am On Oct 10, 2015
[quote author=praxs post=38845511][/quote]

Bross pls stick with lecturing and thank me.later.
Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 10, 2015
Guitarlife:
Two things bro, a good no of the top banks pay fine.

A few pay a lil above average.

Some departments are far more demanding than others.

You could find urself in head office unit where the pressure is lighter.

On the average, pay is good and labour is also intensive.

The problem is that the older you become on a bank job the more you loose ur value.

You hardly learn any transferable skills.

Save for a few departments job is largely monotonous.

At 45 years when you are watching over ur shoulder not to be retrenched or retired cos you would have reached the peak of ur career a Ph.D holder has about 25 years more to work cos professors retire at 70 years.

And they still employed on contract with better pay, better recognition and less stress and presure.

Its good to work in a bank in ur early years where you save money.

Just have a plan and stick with it. It takes some guts to quit but a colleague quit last week for msc in germany.

It really challenged me.
Hmm..... Thanks for your advice it's of great help to me.

1 Like

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by olasquare22: 7:05pm On Oct 11, 2015
Guitarlife has said my plan. For me I don't envy the job, but it came. I have been planning for my exit from day 1 of joining. #returning to the class
Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by Nobody: 1:14pm On Oct 12, 2015
OK, raise your hands if u want me to bring my 2billion dollars to your bank.

3 Likes

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by Flashh: 1:14pm On Oct 12, 2015
I came to read and poke-nose.

5 Likes

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by Nobody: 1:14pm On Oct 12, 2015
No customers allowed?

1 Like

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by LuckyLadolce(m): 1:15pm On Oct 12, 2015
As a banker my social life is seriously derailed. not even time to put on my new casual wears and aso ebi except for fridays.
But honestly, i enjoy the respect and pride. Even in the face of degrading RESPECT for banking job, one can't still deny the fact that alot of people still av great respect for bankers. Today, banking job is ranked above many other jobs in Nigeria as its compared to OIL and gas jobs. I'm proud... it's really exciting!

I will only urge those of us (the young ones) in the sector to have plans as regard the period to serve in the sector. Alot of opportunities awaits us out there. Pls lets not limit ourselves we can do better.. from my observations, i discovered our bosses are too relaxed on the job as the incentives and other benefits are really mindblowing which is making it difficult for them to take critical decisions that may help them grow more in life and even become employers of labour thereby reducing the unemployment rate in our dear country. Personally, i hate the idea of serving a company foerver. Are u not hopeful of creating a place where peolple can serve you too?

I wish those who are aspiring to become a banker one day all the best , i pray ur dreams come to pass and may God make you all a succesful BANKER. be rest assured that you are coming to the most respected sector in the country. cheers!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by Setaje(f): 1:15pm On Oct 12, 2015
As I type my family friend is in special fraud unit in the island for something he did not commit. All of them working in that particular branch has been suspended. Fraud of 150 million. Not worked in the bank upto a year. That's all I would type before someone decodes.

9 Likes

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by mcfynest(m): 1:16pm On Oct 12, 2015
Worked with access bank, stopped some months aho
Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by adjoviomole(m): 1:16pm On Oct 12, 2015
Bankers are liable to die young

3 Likes

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by moyinoluwabun(m): 1:17pm On Oct 12, 2015
Was ones a banker (got cessation of appointment with Skye bank in year 2010) thank God for freedom now and I pray for those enslaved and ready to move out to gain their freedom too in Jesus name.

11 Likes

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by Sweetyie(f): 1:17pm On Oct 12, 2015
Aspiring banker nko?
Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by Nobody: 1:20pm On Oct 12, 2015
Nice thread PO,
Well I used to be a banker. Almost worked myself to death over a two years period. All I can say is it was quite horible doing those long hours as an operations staff. Everyday I dreamt of leaving the bank and never coming back.

As God'll have it, I got a job in an IOC and its been bliss ever since. That said, i also learnt a lot during my stint within the banking sector. I don't regret doing it either.

5 Likes

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by IgboGoat: 1:30pm On Oct 12, 2015
I join
Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by adekeyetae: 1:31pm On Oct 12, 2015
Setaje:
As I type my family friend is in special fraud unit in the island for something he did not commit. All of them working in that particular branch has been suspended. Fraud of 150 million. Not worked in the bank upto a year. That's all I would type before someone decodes.

omase ooo...

2 Likes

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by aameyah(f): 1:32pm On Oct 12, 2015
Sweetyie:
Aspiring banker nko?
That is the 'banker to be' written on the topic na.

2 Likes

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by brainiac007: 1:33pm On Oct 12, 2015
omotsonfx:
.....it does nt worth the stress...

You can say that again!

2 Likes

Re: For Bankers, Ex Bankers And Bankers To Be by musco4me: 1:34pm On Oct 12, 2015
Breadfruit:
Hello all.

Am a banker but i hate banking work so much. U cant even have time for urself and ur family. I never wanted to be a banker but unemployment pushed me to banking because i needed to survive. Am still thinking of other biz i will engage myself in and also lookn for a non banking job. Within the 2 and half years in bankn, i hv worked as funds transfer officer, customer service officer, headteller/Atm custodian. Keeping watch over the atm is the most stressful thing u can do if ur bank is a leading bank in nigeria and if ur branch has 3 to 6 atms that need serious attention due to so much traffics on them. I leave my house b4 6.30am so that i attend to atms and put them in order b4 8am wen monitoring starts. I still go home late cos u still have to wait till 6pm wen monitoring ends. Banking is not a job ooooooo. No weekend for u, no public holidays, u just work! Work! Work! I hate bankn and planning to quit very soon.

24 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

6 Jobs That Will Be In High Demand In The Future / Keke Driver Who Returned Nearly N600K Forgotten By Woman Gets Rewarded. Photos / My Boss Dropped An Internship Applicant Because Of This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.