Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,075 members, 7,811,014 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:45 PM

Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? (6344 Views)

Website Of Punch Newspaper Finally Hacked / Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? / Punch Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Sep 29, 2008
if they claim to have logged out system administrator, then they must be playing around with the weak points of the CMS punch uses. Nothing special, you just google up vulnerabilities with any cms u want to hack and if there is, you make your move.

I think its high time we web developers started thinking like hackers do and take update seriously.
I ve learnt a lesson from this.
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Sep 29, 2008
excuse me guys, is this what this site looks like in ur browser or is my browser losing it?

Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by yawatide(f): 9:00pm On Sep 29, 2008
yep, that is what it looks like but far be it from me to "criticize" and risk getting the wrath of some members on here for being an "ITK" wink
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Sep 29, 2008
lol, you are hitting me baby grin
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by yawatide(f): 9:36pm On Sep 29, 2008
na u cause am now  tongue

All I am doing is give back to the country from whence I came and also learning in the process but some wd rather I make people feel good about themselves and continue to serve up crap.  I would rather go to the grave speaking the truth than do that.  Either that, or I shut my mouth altogether.  I am not being paid to do this anyways.

Per punch:
I find it interesting that though it is the most visited Nigerian site, in Nigeria, it has done nothing to improve upon its layout from at least 2 years ago when I started visiting.  Then again, if people aren't complaining (or maybe they are but in the typical "if them no like am, make them go elsewhere" attitude, they do nothing to improve), what is the motivation to do better?

Until the competition gives them a run for their money, I am afraid they won't do a thing.
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by Nobody: 3:52am On Sep 30, 2008
my headache here is just that even when explanations are obviously clear, some people hardly succumb and it makes me sick

come to think of it, I know punch newspaper have a department for that, so is this how far their brains could take them?

With the traffic coming in from every part of the world, i think they should be bothered
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by Mustay(m): 9:23pm On Sep 30, 2008
eh eh eh

When last did Guardian change hers?

Punch has million hits on her web page and I think re-designing is the "last thing" they are thinking of.

@YAWA HAVE U USED THE E-PUNCH?
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by yawatide(f): 9:43pm On Sep 30, 2008
@Mustay
Nah - My brain cells are beginning to fizzle out and as a result, I only am subscribed to facebook and nairaland.  I hate it when I am made to create a username/password on sites, even though I have coded sites that require the very same information  tongue

On the brighter side:
I think those millions of hits should be the very reason why they should redesign.  Think about it: it would add more value to their site which in turn might attract more users which in turn might bring in more advertisers who are willing to pay more for a better product. 

They don't even have to do it all at once.  They can take the approach that BBC's website took - update one section at a time - Think "evolution" as opposed to "revolution".

Just my humble opinion anyways.
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by Mustay(m): 10:08am On Oct 01, 2008
ok.
\

I feel you. Nigerians generally do not update their sites. you gotta give it up to them at Punch.

Punch and Businessday still has one of the "best' websites in their industy. Just take a look at TELL's or Tribune Or even COMPASS NEWSPAER!
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by yawatide(f): 11:21am On Oct 01, 2008
yeah, just checked out compass and must confess I don't like the layout. Punch layout is good, if only they will layout the bottom part of the home page so that the individual news items in the list are easily demarcated and identifiable.
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by shotster50(m): 2:48pm On Oct 08, 2008
Speaking of Nigerian Newspapers that do not update their websites, I think This Day newspaper has to got to be the worst culprit. They have still got the Jay Z, Busta Rhymes, etc tour in Nigeria from a year or two ago.
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by yawatide(f): 5:15pm On Oct 08, 2008
shotster,

I have one that if it doesn't beat yours, it at least ranks up there with it:
http://unionnewsng.com/index.aspx

Note the headline references 2007 shocked shocked shocked

I know of a few others that haven't been updated since march or april but wanted to stick with Union as it matched this day the closest
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by shotster50(m): 10:23pm On Oct 08, 2008
lol @ yawa-ti-de , I think the owners have forgotten they had that website.
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by Mustay(m): 12:32pm On Oct 09, 2008
shotster50:

Speaking of Nigerian Newspapers that do not update their websites, I think This Day newspaper has to got to be the worst culprit. They have still got the Jay Z, Busta Rhymes, etc tour in Nigeria from a year or two ago.

I really do not understand why they still have those images there. it makes the page load slowly anyway or is it a kinna 'trademark' thingy?

@ yawa I just checked that. They must be shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked 2007: North settles for Attah grin grin grin grin
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by dayotee2(m): 6:55pm On Oct 20, 2008
Hi guys, I must confess i hate missing this post, I would have loved to follow up the post from the beginning cos i have fair knowledge of some of the issues discussed.

1. Punch site been hacked is no news, I think we should be a little bit fair in our disposition to this issue, if you work in this industry you will know that, that can happen and a repetition of it is what should be prevented, it is not as if punch invited the hackers themselves, from the solution punch has put in place now I believe the site will be hacker save for a longer time.

2. On the punch website layout, My brothers, you will need to do more than preaching, presentation and what have you to make the management change the layout of the site, It is not as if the the developers do not want to change the layout but it took a lot of time before the management of punch could see reasons why the payour should be changed.

3. slow loading, omo if punch can make there index page full advert page and no story, they will do it, you know the technical implication of much images and flash object on the home page they don't care about all that."

4. I know the developers are working on a new punch layout now and should be ready for lunch soonest.

now who am I?

I am a friend of both the site developer (Atlas) and Punch, I have worked for both company on several applications in the past including the punch website.

Regards

Temidayo Oyebade
Creative Director/Web Application Developer
Tebix Creative Solutions
T:  017481488, 07026889925, 08023972668
E: info@tebixcreative.com
W: www.tebixcreative.com
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by yawatide(f): 8:25pm On Oct 20, 2008
dayotee2

two wrongs don't make a right. Just because bill gates site (using as an example) was hacked doesn't mean it is okay for punch site to be hacked. The issue is to know how it happened and to figure out a way for it not to happen again. Why? because being the #1 most visited nigerian website on the planet, there is a credibility issue at stake. From my experience dealing with nigerian companies though, I dare say that upfront they didn't want to commit to the funds necessary to make the site hacker-proof in the first place. Again from experience, the typical nigerian (including myself grin) at times wants the most money from something without investing in it. Now that they have been hacked, hopefully they have learned their lesson.

#2 and #3
As developers, I have always advocated that we not be mere code monkeys? What is a code monkey? An order taker. "Dem dey pay me so wetin concern me? I go jus do wetin dem want make i do, after that, i don finish my own, clean mouth". It's a bad attitude to have. Even if one of such developers invented the internet, if he/she came to me with punch on their resume, I wouldn't hire them. The layout sucks, pure and simple. Even if mgmnt wants some kind of monetization document, that can be arranged. For one, show them what they are paying in bandwidth now and show them their potential savings with a few lines of code shaved off. That is one approach. I have done this in the past. In my case, we saved the company $20K in bandwidth, just by using xhtml/css

I look forward to their new layout. I have been visiting the site since 2004. I would hate to leave now. For now, since you say you know the parties involved, tell them to do something about their bulleted list at the bottom of the home page. I have stopped looking down their for news as everything is bunched up together.

Thanks and now to review your site wink
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by Dclique(m): 1:04am On Oct 21, 2008
shotster50:

lol @ yawa-ti-de , I think the owners have forgotten they had that website.
grin grin grin
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by Mustay(m): 5:24pm On Oct 21, 2008
True.

businessday recently changed her layout.

They added RSS feeds and removed the Currency converter popup.
Re: Punch Newspaper Site Possibly Hacked? by JJYOU: 5:29pm On Oct 21, 2008
Boys

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Tips To Help You Build A Successful And Trending Website / SEO For Bloggers: How To Nail The Optimization Process For Your Posts - Climax / 5 Common Blogging Myths That Are Not True

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.