Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,666 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Grading Method In Nigeria And Abroad: Which is Harsher? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Grading Method In Nigeria And Abroad: Which is Harsher? (1863 Views)

Change In University Grading And Degree Structure / Nigerian Universities Vs Universities Abroad - Which Do You Prefer? / How Does UNICAL Calculate Their 4.0 Grading System? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Grading Method In Nigeria And Abroad: Which is Harsher? by chiogo(f): 3:52pm On Aug 28, 2008
I decided to create this topic after reading comments on the topic "First class students: what are your secrets?". I
couldn't reply there because i'm not in college yet. But a comment by one of the first class students got me thinking.

A lot of Nigerians (including myself) have always believed that the school system abroad is way easier compared to that of Nigeria. For example here in the States, teachers do not write lots of notes on the board for students to copy like it is in most schools in Nigeria. Most of the notes are gotten from the textbook but the teacher further explains things verbally. It's left to you to copy it down or not.

Back to my point - one of the first class students on that thread i mentioned got a 70% according to him, which is an A. Meanwhile, over here in the States(well Boston as far as i know), a 70% is a C- which means you only passed, not a fantastic grade. A grade of A starts from 90% upwards. I believe this is also peculiar to colleges here according to my siblings who are in college.

After weighing this, i really don't think the American school system is easy. It's harsher compared to that of Nigeria. However, I know that earning that 70% which is a C in Nigeria must surely take a lot of hard work compared to earning the same 70% in the US. What do you guys think?? is the grading method harsher in Nigeria or abroad??
Re: Grading Method In Nigeria And Abroad: Which is Harsher? by davidif: 9:06am On Aug 29, 2008
I know that earning that 70% which is a C in Nigeria must surely take a lot of hard work compared to earning the same 70% in the US.

ehnĀ  shocked shocked shocked wetin you talk? i would pretend i didn't hear what you just said but o boy no ever EVER laye laye e ever say that again. Just ask all the naija boyz wey come here come do masters and they would tell you how they are crying in school unless that is of course they are going to some useless school here in yanki.

(1) (Reply)

Accounting Systems And Ghost Workers Syndrome In Nigeria / Unn Supplementary Forms. / Pass Your Ssce/waec Without Tears This Time.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.