Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,206 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

Nigerian Churches And Dress Code - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerian Churches And Dress Code (3386 Views)

Nigerian Churches, Others Causing Increased Witchcraft Persecution In UK – Group / 8 false Teachings by Churches And The Biblical Truths Concerning them. / Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Churches And Dress Code by DeepZone: 2:57am On Aug 29, 2008
Nigerian churches especially the Roman catholic church has this habit of disallowing visitors that are not properly dressed into their church. Many women are embarrassed daily in these churches because part of their boobs are showing or their dress is too short. Some will even stop you if you are wearing pants.

Question:

Are these churches allowed by God to do these things when Christ clearly said " come to me as you are"? Is it Christlike to turn around a soul that has a thirst for accepting Christ over what he/she is wearing? Jesus also asked us not to judge and that the outward is not what God is looking at,rather He's more interested in what's inside of you. What if the person decide not to accept Christ again over that inhuman treatment?
Re: Nigerian Churches And Dress Code by onyinye2(f): 3:08am On Aug 29, 2008
This is a yes and no subject.

Yes because coming to church in the same dress you wore to the club last night is just unacceptable. I mean c'mon. I remember one lady coming to church in a really short skirt and a low cut v-neck top. I was like. . . What. I think you should dress acceptable to the occasion. I don't approve of coming to church in jeans or a regular t-shirt. It just doesn't do it for me. I went to this Presbyterian church wear folk came in wearing jeans, white beaters, extremely tight clothing. So i was like, okay.

No because Jesus did say "come as you are" meaning it doesn't matter what is on the flesh as long as the soul is willing to receive the Word.

So i understand regulations of the Catholic Church of dress code. But i just feel they should have these folk sit in the back more towards the door way then to send them away from the receiving and seeking the Word of God.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Dress Code by KarmaMod(f): 3:10am On Aug 29, 2008
I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. 1 Timothy 2:9-10

Sure He doesnt wnat guys in saggy pants and du-rags either.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Dress Code by Nobody: 3:11am On Aug 29, 2008
I really don't mind.
I prefer wearing native outfits to church most times cool cool Not the old design, the one piece outfit. kiss kiss

But I don't think the church is right by not permitting members to enter just because of what they're wearing.
But c'mon ppl, show a lil moral atleast. Don't go to church bearing all what your mama gave ya. angry
Re: Nigerian Churches And Dress Code by madamkoko: 4:00am On Aug 29, 2008
Though I don't go to church. I think people should dress to church like they're going to work. at least hoping that people go to work looking decent.

@ Ruby_Pearl natives work well too!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Churches And Dress Code by madamkoko: 4:02am On Aug 29, 2008
Are these churches allowed by God to do these things when Christ clearly said " come to me as you are"?

I don't think he was referring to clothing.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Dress Code by DeepZone: 4:28am On Aug 29, 2008
I don't think he was referring to clothing.

What exactly was He refering to? i guess He meant that believers and unbelievers alike that wish to come to Him irrespective of who they are, how they are and so on are welcomed.

Do you think that the church is right if they turn a prostitute who decided to attend a service one sunday morning from a brothel because she felt an emptiness and a need to connect with God for the first time in her life?

Is it not right to accept them and preach to them about it than treat them like they are outcasts? Do we have outcasts in christianity?
Re: Nigerian Churches And Dress Code by DeepZone: 4:34am On Aug 29, 2008
I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God. 1 Timothy 2:9-10

Sure He doesnt wnat guys in saggy pants and du-rags either.

There is a big difference between the synoptic gospels and letters written by followers of Jesus. If we go by the quotation above, many people the church accepts are not even qualified to be there because the phrase, "expensive cloths" and ornaments nailed it. I'm not against decent dressing but I think it's grossly inappropriate to walk somebody you don't know out of God's house because he or she doesn't look like you. When Paul was preaching in towns and cities, he never turned anybody back from his crusades because they adorned expensive clothes or what not.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Dress Code by KarmaMod(f): 4:37am On Aug 29, 2008
So you're against C&S and Cele churches?
Re: Nigerian Churches And Dress Code by madamkoko: 4:53am On Aug 29, 2008
Do you think that the church is right if they turn a prostitute who decided to attend a service one sunday morning from a brothel because she felt an emptiness and a need to connect with God for the first time in her life?

No I don't think the church is right. Nor are churches legitimate. xtians are extremely prejudiced, and I'm sure they would expect her to change her clothings after she becomes a hypocrite. christian.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Dress Code by DeepZone: 5:07am On Aug 29, 2008
So you're against C&S and Cele churches?
I'm not against any church although I may disagree with some of their teachings. The churches mentioned above has a uniform and I guess they should have spare ones reserved for visitors or at least allow them for the first time to fellowship with them(and i think they do that). If they understand the teachings of Jesus Christ very well, they should know that it's not a persons clothings that will put him right with God. God is interested on the inside and not the outward appearance.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Dress Code by DeepZone: 5:09am On Aug 29, 2008
No I don't think the church is right. Nor are churches legitimate. xtians are extremely prejudiced, and I'm sure they would expect her to change her clothings after she becomes a hypocrite. christian.

Why? Churches are legitimate organizations irrespective of what some people think about them.
Re: Nigerian Churches And Dress Code by dudubobo1: 10:08am On Aug 29, 2008
If a church doesn't want you because of your dress, either change the way you dress or go to another gathering where you are accepted.

If you are so convinced that you should be a part of them, that conviction should make you accept their conditions.

It would depend on why they dont want skimpily clad women in their gathering. Maybe they think these women are capable of derailing their men. . .I dont know.

(1) (Reply)

Too Programmed To Be An Accident / Are Yoruba Masquerades Astronauts? / Linda Ikeji Blasted By Fans For Promoting Homosexual Wedding!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.