Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,987 members, 7,817,908 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

Court Wedding. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Court Wedding. (3271 Views)

A Nairalander's Court Wedding Reception Photos / Traditional, Religious Or Court Wedding: Best Form Of Marriage / She Insists On Court Wedding! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Wedding. by kufreabasi(m): 12:19pm On Sep 01, 2008
I want to do a court wedding and and i don't know the procedure that is rightly involve.
please if you have attended one or have gone through the procedures,
simply hint me how it is being done and what it takes.
Re: Court Wedding. by tayo4sure(f): 1:18pm On Sep 05, 2008
Congrats 4 ur wedding.

U can just walk up to any local govt or registry u knw or the one nearer to you. They'll guide u on how to go about it. I think u'll have to submit some docs, they'll also demand some things from u, like wines and stuffs like dat.

I wish u good luck.
Re: Court Wedding. by ssRhino: 1:28pm On Sep 05, 2008
Just call your local govt secetary and i am sure they will guide u thru, good luck
Re: Court Wedding. by Ben13: 6:11pm On Sep 05, 2008
Call me
Re: Court Wedding. by kufreabasi(m): 11:12am On Sep 06, 2008
Ben20001, why are we here in this forum? but to get idea from peoples and become enlighten. do i need to call you before you hint me?
Re: Court Wedding. by MrCrackles(m): 11:12am On Sep 06, 2008
Ben20001:

Call me

u dey craze!
Re: Court Wedding. by kufreabasi(m): 11:34am On Sep 06, 2008
Brash!:

u dey craze!

I believe that was what he wanted.
Re: Court Wedding. by timbabng(m): 1:56pm On Sep 06, 2008
crazy indeed grin
Re: Court Wedding. by coolier(f): 2:01pm On Sep 06, 2008
tayo4sure:

, they'll also demand some things from u, like wines and stuffs like that.
I wish u good luck.

Biscuits, soft drinks and wines to be able to be married in a registry, 'Nigeria we hail thee!'.
Re: Court Wedding. by kufreabasi(m): 2:06pm On Sep 06, 2008
those of you that have contributed positively to this topic,God that bless me will also blee you.
please more contributions and ideas required.
Re: Court Wedding. by olanajim(m): 10:42am On Sep 07, 2008
So there is no one on nairaland that have underwent court marriage? That is interesting.

Let us also know the pros and cons. And the type of documents needed,
Re: Court Wedding. by virgie(f): 8:01am On Sep 08, 2008
Going for a Court wedding and a church wedding has got little difference.

Churches that have been incoporated can issue marriage certificates that has the same status as the one issued in Court weddings. They basically have the same status. However, in court weddings, you could call a few guests and sign the marriage certificates, then the deed is done, as for church weddings, well we all know the preparations involved.
Re: Court Wedding. by cashoggy(f): 4:29pm On Sep 08, 2008
Go to the nearest Local Government Registry with your fiance(e) and register your intention. You will be asked a few queastions/fill certain form/s. Both of you will submit 2 (?) passport photographs and you will be asked to come back after certain number of days (I've gotten) for oath-taking. You will  be made to swear an oath with the Holy Book of your religion and photograph will be taken. Your names should be posted on the notice board for 21 (but names are not posted these days) days expecting anyone who has a reason why you shouldn't marry each other to come and register his complaint. You would have been told that when you are coming on the 21st day you should come with the stuffs earlier mentioned - drinks, biscuits and of course, cash (amount varies from LG to LG). You will also be given the cash equivalence of the items in case you want to convert. 

On the D-day, you are free to come with as many people as you wish. Minimum is 2 witnesses, one from each of you. You are however free to have the whole nation as your guests. Registry marriages don't take time (say 30-45 minutes) as there are usually several couples booked for each day, especially Saturday. You'D have been given a time which you must strive to make.  Unsolicited local drummers are usually around to entertain you and your spouse and you must go prepared with 'change' to spray them with.  Also, the registry clerks/staff will also demand that you 'wash' the marriage for them, so, go loaded.

You will be issued a marriage certificate - one long paper like that.

Meanwhile, I wish you  a blissful wedlock ahead.

2 Likes

Re: Court Wedding. by kufreabasi(m): 5:29pm On Sep 08, 2008
cashoggy
i am really impressed by your tips here.
God bless you for me.you will live long.
nothing do you
Re: Court Wedding. by olanajim(m): 3:25pm On Sep 09, 2008
I am impressed too.

Any pros and cons?
Re: Court Wedding. by N101: 6:07pm On Nov 22, 2009
olanajim:

I am impressed too.

Any pros and cons?

Pros: You are legally married to your sweetheart  cool
Cons: The process is unnecessarily burdensome and expensive, especially the "washing".  So much washing. . .  angry
Re: Court Wedding. by coolier(f): 6:46pm On Nov 22, 2009
Do I take it we get invites to the big do?
Re: Court Wedding. by Fhemmmy: 9:21pm On Nov 22, 2009
The wedding must have took place already
Re: Court Wedding. by mamagee3(f): 10:20pm On Nov 22, 2009
You can ask people or call the court officials! tongue
Re: Court Wedding. by N101: 7:51pm On Nov 30, 2009
mama-gee:

You can ask people or call the court officials! tongue

Why do that when you can prolong the process and ask folk on Nairaland instead?  grin
Re: Court Wedding. by mamagee3(f): 3:32am On Dec 01, 2009
N101:

Why do that when you can prolong the process and ask folk on Nairaland instead?  grin

Nobody in Nairaland knows. tongue

(1) (Reply)

The Army Of Cleavage Baring Women Profiles On Nairaland / The Nigerian Culture And Self Esteem / Husband & Wife Strip Each Other's Clothes Off During Street Fight (photos & Vide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.