Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,743 members, 7,827,742 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor (59772 Views)

Nollywood Actors And Their Wives (Photos) / E-X-P-O-S-E-D: All Nigerian Actresses Are Lesbians / Ghanaian Actresses Are Hotter Than Nigerian Actresses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by marlet01(m): 11:26am On Oct 06, 2006
i find it very difficult to agree with you that most of our nollywood actor's and actresses are poor because most of them are even richer that our so called musicians so what makes you think that they are poor i find that very hard to believe. we can see the likes of ramsen noah, pat atta, jim iyke and the rest of them for God's sake do they look as if they are poor to you.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Orikinla(m): 1:14pm On Oct 06, 2006
I just watched the funeral of Nollywood star actor JT Tom-West and his brother and prolific Nollywood director Chico Ejiro were lamenting the lack of insurance and lack of required structure to work with. It was so pathetic. I was almost in tears as I felt cold and sad.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by CrazyMan(m): 6:25pm On Oct 06, 2006
marlet01:

i find it very difficult to agree with you that most of our nollywood actor's and actresses are poor because most of them are even richer that our so called musicians so what makes you think that they are poor i find that very hard to believe. we can see the likes of ramsen noah, pat atta, jim iyke and the rest of them for God's sake do they look as if they are poor to you.

You've said it all.
Our Nollywood Actors and Actresses are not poor.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by marlet01(m): 6:41pm On Oct 09, 2006
seun i think i would disagree with you cos i think most of them are really wealthy compared to our local musicians because most of them that jsut came up are already so rich and even richer than our own local musicians so i thereby disagree with you.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Orikinla(m): 7:07pm On Oct 10, 2006
marlet01:

seun i think i would disagree with you because i think most of them are really wealthy compared to our local musicians because most of them that jsut came up are already so rich and even richer than our own local musicians so i thereby disagree with you.

What is your view of being rich or wealthy?
Some of them are comfortable.
But as the topic says:
Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor.

Tu Face is richer and wealthier than most of them.
P-Square are making millions from live shows.

I am in music and movies industries and know these performing and recording artistes and our Nollywood actors and actresses from Emeka Enyiocha to RMD.
Only few of them are rich.
Wealthy should not even be used.

Only some Nigerians are really rich and wealthy.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by marlet01(m): 9:25am On Oct 11, 2006
speaking of musicians are those two the only musicians we have in the country i.e tuface and p-square, we have other's like marvelous benjy, african china tetuila and the rest of them, look at the kind of lives they live compared to the ones our actor's live you cannot compare their standard, most of our nollywood movies are entering other neighboring west african countries and therby making our actor's and actresses richer see this aki and paw-paw boys the speed they have already made it in the movie industry but take a look at our muscians since how year's they have been in the music industry nothing to show for it, they can't fight the level of piracy in the country, i remember watching a live interview of sound sultan speaking on how piracy has swept all his records and you are here telling me you know much about dem, is a lie you no nothing about dem,
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Orikinla(m): 12:01pm On Oct 11, 2006
marlet01:

speaking of musicians are those two the only musicians we have in the country i.e tuface and p-square, we have other's like marvelous benjy, african china tetuila and the rest of them, look at the kind of lives they live compared to the ones our actor's live you cannot compare their standard, most of our nollywood movies are entering other neighboring west african countries and therby making our actor's and actresses richer see this aki and paw-paw boys the speed they have already made it in the movie industry but take a look at our muscians since how year's they have been in the music industry nothing to show for it, they can't fight the level of piracy in the country, i remember watching a live interview of sound sultan speaking on how piracy has swept all his records and you are here telling me you know much about them, is a lie you no nothing about them,

The Nollywood movies makers and marketers are the ones making the money.
The Nollywood movies in most English speaking African countries are pirated copies.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by marlet01(m): 6:25pm On Oct 12, 2006
Orikinla wetin happen? we dey fight? if i talk you go counter am, wetin happen? cry cry cry
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Orikinla(m): 10:47pm On Oct 12, 2006
marlet01:

Orikinla wetin happen? we dey fight? if i talk you go counter am, wetin happen? cry cry cry

C'mon it is a good debate.

No hard feelings.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by EmemJU(f): 8:36am On Oct 13, 2006
Nollywood actors and actresses depend on just acting that's mainly why they're not rich. The rich ones make their money from other businesses.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by freelance(m): 11:37am On Oct 13, 2006
Although i must say that not all of them are poor. But most of them are poor. Or how will you explain some of them posing nude or carrying cocaine. they might just be popular but most of them are poor.But guess the coolsharp ones cool are rich
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Orikinla(m): 5:56pm On Oct 15, 2006
I was disappointed to learn of the Nollywood actress caught with cocaine.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by marlet01(m): 10:41am On Oct 16, 2006
Orikinla:

I was disappointed to learn of the Nollywood actress caught with cocaine.

hey orikinla which actress did you say was caught with cocaine
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by marlet01(m): 10:58am On Oct 16, 2006
common i wanna know tell me?
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Orikinla(m): 11:50pm On Oct 16, 2006
Popular Yoruba movie actress, Hassanat Akinwande Taiwo, popularly known as Yetunde Wunmi, has been arrested by officials of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) for cocaine trafficking. Yetunde Wunmi, P.M. News gathered, was arrested last Saturday night on her way to London. Investigations revealed that she was about to board a Virgin Atlantic plane at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport (MMIA), Ikeja, Lagos, when eagle-eyed NDLEA officials caught her.

She was said to have been injected to excrete the cocaine she swallowed. As at the time of filing this report, the actress had excreted 92 wraps of cocaine (condom-size) and was still excreting more. A top NDLEA official described her action as unprecedented. “Can you believe it, she has excreted 92 wraps of cocaine and she is yet to finish. This is unprecedented. This will tell you the quantity of the drug she swallowed,” he revealed.

The source disclosed further that the agency cannot determine the weight or quantity of the drug she ingested yet until she finishes excreting the drugs. “We are waiting for her to finish her **** before we start interrogation,” he added. P.M.News gathered further that the light-complexion woman would be taken to the Shaw Road, Ikoyi office of NDLEA after excreting the substances to undergo interrogation. According to the source, she would be expected to disclose the baron who sent her, her destination and whether she had been involved before. Sources said she was taken to her house at Mudashiru Awe Street,Yaba, in handcuffs yesterday during which her house was searched.

http://www.naijarules.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18390
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by patra: 12:14pm On Oct 17, 2006
na wah ohh nigeran na una dey take mouth kill una sefas una dey take bad mouth yab stars nd thier films na so una want make them becom j-lo and steven seagal.see if u want them to live big enourage them to do wht they do well so we can gain world recognition which automatically means incrased patronage and more revenue to the industry thereby making it grow bigger and richer,so our stars can then ride posh cars nd so on.but u cant pour weed in ur farm and expecxt the plant to do welll.NIGERIANS LEARN TO APPREIATE FOR ONCE. shocked
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Seun(m): 6:50pm On Oct 17, 2006
It's ok for them to be "poor" since their fans are similarly poor. They will just have to survive like the rest of us!
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by jayvinnie(m): 10:08pm On Oct 17, 2006
are u sure that actors and actresses are poor
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by vidice(f): 12:05pm On Oct 18, 2006
i don't believe dat some stars are poor
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Orikinla(m): 2:33pm On Oct 18, 2006
To make sure that more Nollywood actors and actresses are well paid, buy their original tapes and not pirated copies in America and Europe and if you can do so, invest in the making of Nigerian movies. And as at present I am working on a film with Chika Onu and I have to raise the funds to make sure that we pay our cast and crew enough money to avoid any embarrassment.

If you buy any of my books as highlighted on Nairaland, you are appreciating Nollywood too.
Because, I am investing in our film industry.

Just buy a copy of our screenplay Naked Beauty on http://www.lulu.com/kingofkingsbooks first to read it and and also read my Unveil Me My Love on http://www.lulu.com/content/474814
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by oolodumare(m): 4:50pm On Oct 19, 2006
any1 wu says nollywood players r poor, is just yackin dust. probably doesnt liv in 9ja. on d average most nollywood stars(those wu play lead roles on the regular) ramsey & co r rich in 9ja. ofcourse u cant compare dem 2 the dangotes, adenugas, atikus, tom hanks or diddys, but in 9ja oh dem rich. they roll around grade A tokunbo cars, live in 3 bedroom flats in surulere, av enuf spending money, most av over N100,000 in their bank accounts,  men Ti-Be (bone dat side) dats rich in 9ja level(@ least wen u were never in govt/close 2 govt).[color=#000099][/color]
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by marlet01(m): 10:37am On Oct 20, 2006
Men nigerian Nollywood actor's and actresses don dey go far like dat to the extent of drugs.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by camila: 12:09pm On Oct 20, 2006
yes most nollywood actors and actresses are poor.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Ndipe(m): 1:28am On Oct 21, 2006
Orikinala, comparing the Naira with the Dollar is like comparing apples with guavas. The exchange rate should never be a yardstick in guaging the cost of living in both countries. Some people back home think that if you are making 7 dollas an hour, they are quick to multiply that with the conversion rate (1-135) and quickly assume that you are Royalty in Yankee. that is far from the truth. Let me give you an example. You go out to eat at a restaurant here and spend 20 bucks for a plate of food. There is no way one could convince me that the same plate of food that I ordered in my neck of wood would cost 2600 Naira. As a matter of fact, it may even be less than half the price.

Another factor is real estate in the valley. At times, our people are in a conundrum whether to buy a house back home or invest in Real estate out here. It is very pricey here, despite the downturn in the market. An average, nice house could go for 700k in Silicon Valley, which is more than 70 million Naira in Nigeria. In Ewet Housing, I can easily get a showplace for about 20 million Naira. So, please don't use the conversion rate to measure the cost of living. Those actors/actresses, making 3 million Naira a year in Naija, to me are not doing bad. It may not be a nice sum of money to survive in posh places like VI, but 25k per year, isnt enough to pay your rent/bills for the whole year in Manhattan.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by marlet01(m): 9:29pm On Oct 21, 2006
MEN Ndipe you got a whole full page of the newspaper
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Seun(m): 7:01pm On Nov 27, 2006
In short, money is more valuable in Nigeria.
So you can't compare Nollywood income directly with Hollywood income.
I think you need a "cost of living index" to do the comparison.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Orikinla(m): 7:05pm On Dec 02, 2006
May I repeat that I said, most Nollywood actors and actresses are poor and not all.

I am pointing at the exploitation of our local actors and actresses.

N3 million is actually the annual rent for a flat in Ikoyi.

Most houses in Ikoyi and Victoria Island are being sold in dollars and they don't come cheap.

N20 million cannot buy any good house in Ikoyi.

The highest paid Nollywood stars make between N1 million and N4 million in a year. And they don't get the whole money at a go.

The average actors and actresses even in South Africa earn more than the highest paid actors and actresses in Nigeria.

What Mnet pays for Nollywood movies on their Africa Magic is chicken feed compared to what they pay for their own South African movies.
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by eslynera(f): 7:30pm On Dec 02, 2006
@topic, is there a problem with poor actors/actresses?? people don't always start from the top. There are people, time and places.

check this man, and read his biography. he slept under bridges in the streets, but now he's a hollywood actor. smiley
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005023/
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by superman(m): 10:18pm On Dec 02, 2006
again superman still on it!

until we nigerians start to appreciate our own regardless of know what things will never change im afraid.

oh well not all hollywood actors get through! wonder if yall get that!

so some ppl stand up shut up for good

god bless nigeria
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by Orikinla(m): 10:34pm On Dec 02, 2006
We must appreciate our actors and actresses not by lip service on online forums and eye service by watching pirated Nollywood movies in Nigeria, America and UK.

Most of those ranting here from America and Europe watch pirated Nollywood movies.

They are the worst enemies of our poor actors and actresses.

I don't like hypocrites at large.

How much have you invested to advance the development of Nollywood and to improve the welfare of Nollywood actors and actresses?

I believe in talking and doing something positive about it.

Stop buying pirated Nollywood movies online and offline!
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by superman(m): 10:46pm On Dec 02, 2006
hmmm na irony we don they see now!

how contradictary things can be! na waa oo its a mass world cant complain
Re: Most Nollywood Actors And Actresses Are Poor by LoverBwoy(m): 3:42am On Dec 03, 2006
We must appreciate our actors and actresses not by lip service on online forums and eye service by watching pirated Nollywood movies in Nigeria, America and UK.

Most of those ranting here from America and Europe watch pirated Nollywood movies.

And how the hell can you tell if a film is pirated or not
its not like they have a special cover or logo to watch out for
most of the shops that sell nollywood films here are getting it directly from nigeria
the owners of the shop usually get people coming from nigeria to buy their films
in some cases you meet nollywood actors in the shop

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Remembers Iyabo Momoh In "Papa Ajasco"? / 10 Celebs That Love To Display The Size Of Their Eggplants In Public (PICS) / Banky W's Look On Set Of 'Sugar Rush' (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.